UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Wedge Antilles

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby Wedge Antilles » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:09 am

zhenders wrote:You're absolutely right :) I've been super grateful, too: so many people have chipped in to help put me on the right track and answer questions. What's been unnecessary and depressing, though, is when that advice comes on the backs of snark and rudeness. We're going to the same school; we'll almost certainly meet. You're probably a really friendly guy in real life. When I meet you, though, my first impression will have been that you were the rude, snarky guy.

Bummer.

Wow. When you put it like that, I'm gonna have to totally reevaluate how I do things. A 1L's tarnished first impression is a fate worse than death.

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:48 pm

zhenders wrote:Realistically, that seems consistent with most of our 1L class thus far. Around 50 of us have been rotating in and out of parties held at different apartments and bars (pre-kapnicking basically, with 100x the alcohol); no one's talking about their books (or if we are, it's "yeah, we should probably get those before shit gets too expensive"). Overall, no one's stepped up (intentionally or otherwise) as super anal-retentive, or as the library-til-midnight guy or girl.

Though TBF, the chill behavior your describing is "typical" of every incoming class. This will all change in the first week or two of school.

edit: So when I think people say chill out, they are looking to the future.

droit

Postby droit » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:03 am

Biz Orgs and Secured Transactions meet at the same time. Any advice on which to take?

I heard ST is harder with Picker, but Biz Orgs has a prof from Harvard who recommended his students take Intro to Accounting and Intro to Finance online at Wharton before the class starts, and I have no finance background.

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:08 pm

droit wrote:Biz Orgs and Secured Transactions meet at the same time. Any advice on which to take?

I heard ST is harder with Picker, but Biz Orgs has a prof from Harvard who recommended his students take Intro to Accounting and Intro to Finance online at Wharton before the class starts, and I have no finance background.

I enjoyed Biz Orgs significantly more than ST. You don't need any finance classes for it.

Do you like code based classes? Take ST. Otherwise, BO. And while I know not everyone is a fan, I thought Casey was fantastic for it.

Postby 2014 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:18 pm

droit wrote:Biz Orgs and Secured Transactions meet at the same time. Any advice on which to take?

You should take both at some point, but if you could only do one I'd do Bus Orgs. Baird is better than Picker if he's teaching it another quarter.

skers

Postby skers » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:26 pm

Biz orgs needing some intro finance classes seems really silly unless the dude goes for a drastically different teaching style than the standard course--in which case it might be valuable if you're a 2L and working corp next summer If you're a 2L and going corporate next summer. I thought M&A was a much better intro corp practice class than Biz orgs to the extent law school classes matter at all, which isn't much. ST is kind of useful for basic concepts if you're working in debt/credit.

I love Picker though and would advice taking any class from that dude.

Samsing

Postby Samsing » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:15 pm

Any thoughts on corporate finance with Dharmapala?

Postby 2014 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:08 pm

Samsing wrote:Any thoughts on corporate finance with Dharmapala?

This class was straight up painful imo. He teaches it case based which doesn't make much sense and the participation was really strained. The subject matter is worthwhile though so if there is another teacher at some point it'd be worthwhile.

Tiny Dancer

Postby Tiny Dancer » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:13 pm

I'm glad I took both before my SA. I'd have spent hours on background reading and still would have missed a few issues with some agreements if I hadn't.

droit

Postby droit » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:50 pm

Thanks for the advice. I started taking the online Wharton classes that the visiting professor sent to us. They aren't too bad, but that's because I'm only watching the videos and not doing the homework or exams.

Lawyerman08

Postby Lawyerman08 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:44 pm

Dumb question, I know, but how do we find what books we need for our classes? Do we just click the link for the class on the registration interface that says "
Buy textbooks from the Seminary Co-Op or Barnes and Noble." I ask because when I click on this link for 3 of my 4 classes, I get a screen that says "This course does not require any textbooks," and I wanted to make sure this is correct or whether I should be looking somewhere else.

Companion Cube

Postby Companion Cube » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:04 pm

Lawyerman08 wrote:Dumb question, I know, but how do we find what books we need for our classes? Do we just click the link for the class on the registration interface that says "
Buy textbooks from the Seminary Co-Op or Barnes and Noble." I ask because when I click on this link for 3 of my 4 classes, I get a screen that says "This course does not require any textbooks," and I wanted to make sure this is correct or whether I should be looking somewhere else.

Look at the syllabus on Chalk. Not all classes may be up yet though

DontStopBeliebin

Postby DontStopBeliebin » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:41 pm

Use the Barnes & Nobles link; the Seminary one never works for me.

KMart

Postby KMart » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:54 am

Lawyerman08 wrote:Dumb question, I know, but how do we find what books we need for our classes? Do we just click the link for the class on the registration interface that says "

From that link, near the top after you click it, there's a link that says "enter additional classes" or something. I just entered all my classes to figure out the books I needed.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:32 pm

Also make sure to check chalk. Some of our profs have listed info and announcements there, including books/assignments.

chalk.uchicago.edu

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:16 pm

Most importantly, don't buy books (as 2L/3Ls).

KMart

Postby KMart » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:30 pm

landshoes wrote:Also make sure to check chalk. Some of our profs have listed info and announcements there, including books/assignments.

chalk.uchicago.edu

Noooo. I'm not ready.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:16 pm

KMart wrote:
landshoes wrote:Also make sure to check chalk. Some of our profs have listed info and announcements there, including books/assignments.

chalk.uchicago.edu

Noooo. I'm not ready.

I'm doing the crim law assignment now and it's super easy and interesting. I know that it can't continue this way but I plan to pretend that it will.

Companion Cube

Postby Companion Cube » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:27 pm

landshoes wrote:
KMart wrote:

chalk.uchicago.edu

Noooo. I'm not ready.

I'm doing the crim law assignment now and it's super easy and interesting. I know that it can't continue this way but I plan to pretend that it will.

Crim is not that bad. The MPC sucks because it's rooted in confusing and antiquated case law, but the cases are generally interesting.

Lawyerman08

Postby Lawyerman08 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:05 pm

Just moved into Hyde Park. Where do you guys recommend buying groceries?

Companion Cube

Postby Companion Cube » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:11 pm

Lawyerman08 wrote:Just moved into Hyde Park. Where do you guys recommend buying groceries?

Treasure Island, but it's pricy. If you live near Hyde Park Produce they have a good selection as well.

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:16 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Companion Cube

Postby Companion Cube » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:10 pm

Wahrheit wrote:
Companion Cube wrote:
Lawyerman08 wrote:Just moved into Hyde Park. Where do you guys recommend buying groceries?

Treasure Island, but it's pricy. If you live near Hyde Park Produce they have a good selection as well.

But Instacart

Eh the food delivery services I've looked at are even more expensive than TI. Right now I enjoy walking, but in the winter I'll probably start using something like that

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:14 pm

Make friends with someone who has a car and can take you along on Target trips. Treasure Island is so overpriced it's crazy.

Actually there's a target right on the 6 route now in the loop. Become one of those people who takes groceries on the bus and weep at your urban nightmarescape.

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:32 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”