UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
beepboopbeep

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:17 am

I know it's better than it once was, but I'd never recommend that as someone's first hyde park/southside experience (i realize it's closer to being woodlawn) or as a thing to do with a pet and a bunch of luggage

Try the green line after you've been here for a bit

skers

Postby skers » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:36 am

yeah, i would never recommend that stop to someone who is new to chicago.

Companion Cube

Postby Companion Cube » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:32 pm

I took the green line on my firstest trip, luggage and all. It was easy and rather pleasant, but I'm sure time of day may have a lot to do with this.

KMart

Postby KMart » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:54 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:I know it's better than it once was, but I'd never recommend that as someone's first hyde park/southside experience (i realize it's closer to being woodlawn) or as a thing to do with a pet and a bunch of luggage

Try the green line after you've been here for a bit

Do the buses have better sentiment and safety in HP? I haven't been down to that part of Chicago often enough yet.

DontStopBeliebin

Postby DontStopBeliebin » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:16 pm

Off the top of my head, public transit out of Hyde Park generally consists of:

- 6 or 28 to the Loop (near Regents/east Hyde Park)
- 2 to the Loop (near Law School/Obama/west Hyde Park)
- Metra to the Loop (south of Regents/east Hyde Park)

Which are fine. Other options are:

- Green Line to the Loop (near Law School or northwest Hyde Park)
- 55 to Midway (near Ratner)

Which are generally not recommended, particularly if you're new to Chicago/it's dark etc etc.

secadc11

Postby secadc11 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:40 pm

How worthwhile is the 1L Big Sibling program?

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:43 pm

secadc11 wrote:How worthwhile is the 1L Big Sibling program?

Worthwhile, although somewhat redundant, since almost all upperclassmen are willing to help with anything. I definitely used mine to ask some stupid questions to, and for confidential stuff like grades, bidlists, etc.

terrier27

Postby terrier27 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:06 pm

Thank you all for the replies! I think I'm just going to cab it and experiment with your other suggestions when it's just me.

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:08 am

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wedge Antilles

Postby Wedge Antilles » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:21 am

I have a working theory that half of the hair salons in Hyde park are drug fronts. I've walked into multiple places that either 1) have people just sitting around who refuse to cut your hair, or 2) are closed during totally normal weekday business hours. Your best bet is either the grumpy guy on campus underneath the Reynolds club or downtown. I jut go to sport clips downtown because it's pretty affordable and the service is great. I got sick of the Hyde park options.

skers

Postby skers » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:02 pm

I go with the grumpy guy who works on campus and at another place in hp on Saturdays. Dude cuts great hair and I'll probably commute down to keep going to him.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:05 pm

Wedge Antilles wrote:I have a working theory that half of the hair salons in Hyde park are drug fronts. I've walked into multiple places that either 1) have people just sitting around who refuse to cut your hair, or 2) are closed during totally normal weekday business hours. Your best bet is either the grumpy guy on campus underneath the Reynolds club or downtown. I jut go to sport clips downtown because it's pretty affordable and the service is great. I got sick of the Hyde park options.

There are so many businesses like that in Hyde Park, where people are apparently operating a storefront but no one ever seems to go in or buy anything.

I'm pretty high on the Aveda institute if you don't mind traveling, it's like a $15 cut and generally the people are really well-trained, though still learning. Can be a bit up-and-down but generally up.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:47 pm

I'm kind of picky about hair so I don't like any Hyde Park options. I go to a salon elsewhere.

PearlPoet

Postby PearlPoet » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:58 pm

Hi all! Has anyone on here taken Admiralty with Schmidt or Local Government Law with Roin, and would they recommend them? Both classes sound like fun.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:55 am

PearlPoet wrote:Hi all! Has anyone on here taken Admiralty with Schmidt or Local Government Law with Roin, and would they recommend them? Both classes sound like fun.

If I can counsel against taking any one class next year, it is admiralty with Schmidt. He gave out a ton of bad grades and it was dull as nails. Kind of a funny guy and I like him personally, just not especially as a teacher.

I thought it'd be one of those kinda stupid fun things. It was not.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:33 am

PearlPoet wrote:Hi all! Has anyone on here taken Admiralty with Schmidt or Local Government Law with Roin, and would they recommend them? Both classes sound like fun.

I like roin, she can be a little boring but her exams are straightforward and she's really nice.

Easiest exam class I took last year was law and Econ with malani. Nothing discussed in class was on the exam and like 80% of the class was llms lol

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:35 am

Has anyone taken price theory? Just wondering how the grading works and how much work it is.

Also how does independent research work? Does the professor help you come up with a topic to write about?

foxes

Postby foxes » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:16 pm

Has anyone taken William Hubbard? He's a visiting prof teaching Civ Pro at HLS this fall, and I can't really find any info on him through google. Thanks guys :)

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:55 pm

foxes wrote:Has anyone taken William Hubbard? He's a visiting prof teaching Civ Pro at HLS this fall, and I can't really find any info on him through google. Thanks guys :)

He's awesome. Smart, law and econ nerd, really friendly. He's pretty good about helping people get ready for tests, so I'm sure he'll put old exams and answers up on his class site when the time comes. Only minus is that he's a little too nice about telling people to shut up, so class discussions can stray. A savvy student will quickly use those opportunities to browse the internet.

foxes

Postby foxes » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:58 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:
foxes wrote:Has anyone taken William Hubbard? He's a visiting prof teaching Civ Pro at HLS this fall, and I can't really find any info on him through google. Thanks guys :)

He's awesome. Smart, law and econ nerd, really friendly. He's pretty good about helping people get ready for tests, so I'm sure he'll put old exams and answers up on his class site when the time comes. Only minus is that he's a little too nice about telling people to shut up, so class discussions can stray. A savvy student will quickly use those opportunities to browse the internet.

thanks so much! :D

terrier27

Postby terrier27 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Last edited by terrier27 on Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:06 pm

terrier27 wrote:Has anyone participated in the Woodlawn Clinic? I'm really interested in it, but I'm a bit worried about its location and was wondering if there's any transportation that's pretty close so I wouldn't have to walk as much in the area as I know people have said on here before that south of 61st street can get a little sketchy.

63rd's not bad at all until you get west of Cottage Grove.

terrier27

Postby terrier27 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:18 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:63rd's not bad at all until you get west of Cottage Grove.

Awesome thanks!

saltisgood

Postby saltisgood » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:27 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:

Thanks for the response! Is there a good place to get / is anyone willing to share some Hubbard civ pro outlines? (If you're ok with it, I'll share publicly with other HLS students.) I'm sure it will be pretty different, esp with the quarter system at Chicago, but I wouldn't mind having a big picture view.

foxes

Postby foxes » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:43 pm

saltisgood wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:

Thanks for the response! Is there a good place to get / is anyone willing to share some Hubbard civ pro outlines? (If you're ok with it, I'll share publicly with other HLS students.) I'm sure it will be pretty different, esp with the quarter system at Chicago, but I wouldn't mind having a big picture view.

Seconded, this would be amazing :)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”