UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
elterrible78
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Re: UChi Current Students Acting Like Assholes

Postby elterrible78 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:58 pm

WheninLaw wrote:Any possibility we could move on from Corporate Lab? I think the merits have been debated out pretty well at this point.


Seconded. And then maybe we can get out from under the shameful (but hilarious) thread title.

User avatar
landshoes
is that cool?
Posts: 1089
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Acting Like Assholes

Postby landshoes » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:59 pm

.
Last edited by landshoes on Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
elterrible78
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Re: UChi Current Students Acting Like Assholes

Postby elterrible78 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:08 pm

landshoes wrote:A lot of students live in Regents, but when I went to Yelp the reviews were pretty bad, and it seems pricey. Is it really as bad as yelp says it is? People drinking and smoking in the hallways, nonfunctional gym, no cable?

Also, what is the walkability of the area around the law school if you don't drive? It seems like a grocery desert.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer our questions.


I moved out of Regents because I was pretty unhappy with a lot of what was going on there, and it seemed to be getting worse. The management is not particularly responsive to anything, and the gym debacle was one of the final straws (in a nutshell, they closed it down for like five months to renovate it, and it ended up being worse than it was, in the opinions of many). I never really saw people smoking or drinking in the hallways, although going from the 34th floor to the 35th by the stairs was a reliable way to get a contact high. It's also overpriced for what it is, I think.

I'm not sure what you mean by walkability. I wouldn't call HP a grocery desert, but it's not great either. Hyde Park Produce and Treasure Island are the best bets, but they're not actually that close to the law school. Whole Foods (if that's your thing) should improve the situation, but I'm not sure when it's actually slated to open. I managed there for 1L year with no car, and had no problems whatsoever, though. Having a car would make life easier (particularly for going to Jewel Osco, Mariano's, Trader Joe's and whatnot), but is not necessary by any means.

User avatar
Robb
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:21 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Acting Like Assholes

Postby Robb » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:15 pm

Get a bike with a basket. Super useful, makes getting groceries easier. Hyde Park Produce and Treasure Island are about 5 minutes from the law school on a bike. But also agree a car is helpful-I had one for 1.5 years, and it was very, very convenient to have, especially when you're feeling lazy, or it's raining or snowing, and you want to make a run to trader joe's.

User avatar
landshoes
is that cool?
Posts: 1089
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Acting Like Assholes

Postby landshoes » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:19 pm

.
Last edited by landshoes on Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wedge Antilles
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:03 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Acting Like Assholes

Postby Wedge Antilles » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:20 pm

If you don't like regents park it's nobody's fault but your own. It's been the best opportunity of my law school career and only the highest quality of U Chicago students live there. The management truly cares about your maintenance and quality of life issues and the accommodations are unique to anything else you'll be exposed to in the t14. If you can't hack it at regents you better take a really good look at yourself because you might not be cut out to be a lawyer.

UofCforme
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:12 am

Re: UChi Current Students Acting Like Assholes

Postby UofCforme » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:25 pm

For those with a car or a lift-pass or whatever, we also now have a Walmart Neighborhood Market that is infintely better than any other grocery option in HP. Unfortunately it is probably too far away for those without a means of transportation other than walking.

WheninLaw
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Acting Like Assholes

Postby WheninLaw » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:35 pm

Wedge Antilles wrote:If you don't like regents park it's nobody's fault but your own. It's been the best opportunity of my law school career and only the highest quality of U Chicago students live there. The management truly cares about your maintenance and quality of life issues and the accommodations are unique to anything else you'll be exposed to in the t14. If you can't hack it at regents you better take a really good look at yourself because you might not be cut out to be a lawyer.


I enjoyed this.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Acting Like Assholes

Postby Rahviveh » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:43 pm

Wedge Antilles wrote:If you don't like regents park it's nobody's fault but your own. It's been the best opportunity of my law school career and only the highest quality of U Chicago students live there. The management truly cares about your maintenance and quality of life issues and the accommodations are unique to anything else you'll be exposed to in the t14. If you can't hack it at regents you better take a really good look at yourself because you might not be cut out to be a lawyer.


I disagree with this. There are not many members of the Uchicago law review who live in regents. The best among us live elsewhere.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Acting Like Assholes

Postby Rahviveh » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:48 pm

CorporateLab wrote: Looking back on it, I wish I had taken more black-letter law classes because I didn't really learn anything substantive in the Corporate Lab.


Don't listen to this dork. You don't learn anything substantive in black letter law classes either.

WheninLaw
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Acting Like Assholes

Postby WheninLaw » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:01 pm

Rahviveh wrote:
Wedge Antilles wrote:If you don't like regents park it's nobody's fault but your own. It's been the best opportunity of my law school career and only the highest quality of U Chicago students live there. The management truly cares about your maintenance and quality of life issues and the accommodations are unique to anything else you'll be exposed to in the t14. If you can't hack it at regents you better take a really good look at yourself because you might not be cut out to be a lawyer.


I disagree with this. There are not many members of the Uchicago law review who live in regents. The best among us live elsewhere.


Actually, the majority of LR live(d) in HP. It cannot be beat.

CorporateLab
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:54 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Acting Like Assholes

Postby CorporateLab » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:04 pm

Rahviveh wrote:
CorporateLab wrote: Looking back on it, I wish I had taken more black-letter law classes because I didn't really learn anything substantive in the Corporate Lab.
Don't listen to this dork. You don't learn anything substantive in black letter law classes either.
Although this is mostly true, there are several classes that I honestly found useful during my time as a summer associate: federal regulation of securities, business organizations, secured transactions, tax, and bankruptcy. For example, I wouldn't want to be at a law firm trying to figure out for the first time ever what perfection of a security is, or what "cramdown" is in a bankruptcy case.

In terms of non-black-letter-law classes, I've also heard some really good things about some of the classes that teach negotiation and contract drafting, although I cannot speak from personal experience about their usefulness.

User avatar
zhenders
Posts: 743
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Acting Like Assholes

Postby zhenders » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:49 pm

Groceries:

I don't know if this option appeals to anyone else, but I'm a fan of www.peapod.com ; it's certainly more expensive for some things, but factoring in gas, time saved, and not having to worry about a car and such is nice. If you already have a car and know you're bringing it, maybe it's not as helpful -- but if you're thinking about bringing a car and paying for parking for the purpose of groceries, it might be worth it to at least check peapod out and see if it's an option you like. I haven't used it in HP, but I punched in the zip and it looks like it delivers no problem. For the things I buy, it's really not more than 2%-4% more expensive than a standard grocer.

Has anyone else used this or a similar service?

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Acting Like Assholes

Postby Rahviveh » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:19 pm

CorporateLab wrote:
Rahviveh wrote:
CorporateLab wrote: Looking back on it, I wish I had taken more black-letter law classes because I didn't really learn anything substantive in the Corporate Lab.
Don't listen to this dork. You don't learn anything substantive in black letter law classes either.
Although this is mostly true, there are several classes that I honestly found useful during my time as a summer associate: federal regulation of securities, business organizations, secured transactions, tax, and bankruptcy. For example, I wouldn't want to be at a law firm trying to figure out for the first time ever what perfection of a security is, or what "cramdown" is in a bankruptcy case.

In terms of non-black-letter-law classes, I've also heard some really good things about some of the classes that teach negotiation and contract drafting, although I cannot speak from personal experience about their usefulness.


Ok I thought I knew who you were. I guess I was wrong

User avatar
elterrible78
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Re: UChi Current Students Acting Like Assholes

Postby elterrible78 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:39 pm

zhenders wrote:Groceries:

I don't know if this option appeals to anyone else, but I'm a fan of http://www.peapod.com ; it's certainly more expensive for some things, but factoring in gas, time saved, and not having to worry about a car and such is nice. If you already have a car and know you're bringing it, maybe it's not as helpful -- but if you're thinking about bringing a car and paying for parking for the purpose of groceries, it might be worth it to at least check peapod out and see if it's an option you like. I haven't used it in HP, but I punched in the zip and it looks like it delivers no problem. For the things I buy, it's really not more than 2%-4% more expensive than a standard grocer.

Has anyone else used this or a similar service?


I definitely used Peapod during 1L, and it was great. I had 0 problems with it, and it came in handy given HP's limited grocery shopping options.

User avatar
Robb
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:21 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Acting Like Assholes

Postby Robb » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:10 pm

Peapod is great for frozen and pantry foods... but they have low quality veggies, so if you are picky about your veggies like me you'll still want to go to Hyde Park Produce and pick those out. My roommate has also used instacart, and he seems to really like it.

And even though it's true that there's usually not a huge markup, when you add in the delivery fee and tip, it's probably 10-20% more depending on how much you order.

User avatar
zhenders
Posts: 743
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Acting Like Assholes

Postby zhenders » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:32 pm

Thanks to both of you who chimed in about PP in Chicago. I hear for produce HPP is pretty phenomenal and worth it regardless; I basically live on enormous amounts of both meat and vegetables, so I know I'll be checking it out first thing for sure.

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Acting Like Assholes

Postby beepboopbeep » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:31 pm

zhenders wrote:Thanks to both of you who chimed in about PP in Chicago. I hear for produce HPP is pretty phenomenal and worth it regardless; I basically live on enormous amounts of both meat and vegetables, so I know I'll be checking it out first thing for sure.


If you have a produce-heavy diet HPP will be your best friend. Cheap and fresh. Good luck getting, like, cereal or chocolate chips or other normal grocery items there, though, unless you only buy the hella expensive organic versions of everything anyway.

The more grocery stores I go to outside of HP the less I hate treasure island, tbh.

User avatar
zhenders
Posts: 743
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Acting Like Assholes

Postby zhenders » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:47 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
zhenders wrote:Thanks to both of you who chimed in about PP in Chicago. I hear for produce HPP is pretty phenomenal and worth it regardless; I basically live on enormous amounts of both meat and vegetables, so I know I'll be checking it out first thing for sure.


If you have a produce-heavy diet HPP will be your best friend. Cheap and fresh. Good luck getting, like, cereal or chocolate chips or other normal grocery items there, though, unless you only buy the hella expensive organic versions of everything anyway.

The more grocery stores I go to outside of HP the less I hate treasure island, tbh.


Word; I've heard just about everything there except for produce is expensive as hell. I really eat super-simply; it's just shit tons of veggies and shit tons of meat. The A.M. is eggs and bacon and greens. Plus eggs and bacon.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Acting Like Assholes

Postby Rahviveh » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:56 pm

Robb wrote:Peapod is great for frozen and pantry foods... but they have low quality veggies, so if you are picky about your veggies like me you'll still want to go to Hyde Park Produce and pick those out. My roommate has also used instacart, and he seems to really like it.

And even though it's true that there's usually not a huge markup, when you add in the delivery fee and tip, it's probably 10-20% more depending on how much you order.

There's also apps like uber now where you can pay people to pick up your groceries.

I usually just use zipcar once a week and go to wf south loop. 10$ for an hour and you get all your groceries. Obviously won't be necessary once the new whole foods opens near regents. Hopefully it drives those other two shitholes out of business

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: UChi Current Students Acting Like Assholes

Postby skers » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:20 am

zhenders wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
zhenders wrote:Thanks to both of you who chimed in about PP in Chicago. I hear for produce HPP is pretty phenomenal and worth it regardless; I basically live on enormous amounts of both meat and vegetables, so I know I'll be checking it out first thing for sure.


If you have a produce-heavy diet HPP will be your best friend. Cheap and fresh. Good luck getting, like, cereal or chocolate chips or other normal grocery items there, though, unless you only buy the hella expensive organic versions of everything anyway.

The more grocery stores I go to outside of HP the less I hate treasure island, tbh.


Word; I've heard just about everything there except for produce is expensive as hell. I really eat super-simply; it's just shit tons of veggies and shit tons of meat. The A.M. is eggs and bacon and greens. Plus eggs and bacon.


HPP is great for produce, especially since you can get stuff like fresh lemongrass which is super rad. Not a great place to get meat since it's really pricey.

User avatar
zhenders
Posts: 743
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby zhenders » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:13 am

What is Elements like, and what is its' exam format? The website was cryptic at best. Thanks in advance!

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby skers » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:36 am

zhenders wrote:What is Elements like, and what is its' exam format? The website was cryptic at best. Thanks in advance!


Dude, don't even begin to worry/think about exams. It's summer. Go make bad life decisions.

User avatar
UnicornHunter
Posts: 13507
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby UnicornHunter » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:13 am

Elements will differ a ton based on who your prof is too. Definitely not worth thinking about now, for what it's worth I enjoyed it.

WheninLaw
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby WheninLaw » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:17 pm

zhenders wrote:What is Elements like, and what is its' exam format? The website was cryptic at best. Thanks in advance!


I will tell you all about the exam and how to crush it. In November.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: joezze and 4 guests