UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:05 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

zhenders

Silver

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Post by zhenders » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:24 pm

Wahrheit wrote:
Mad Hatter wrote:If your typing is slow, get it up to a serviceable pace (probably around 50-60 wpm).
You can do way better than that. Buy a mechanical keyboard (personal recommendations are Razer (my preference; I have the BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth) or Logitech or Steelseries) and use this.
These reminded me of www.typeracer.com -- fun times. Wahrheit: challenge extended.

Mad Hatter

Silver

Post by Mad Hatter » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:56 pm

Wahrheit wrote:
Mad Hatter wrote:If your typing is slow, get it up to a serviceable pace (probably around 50-60 wpm).
You can do way better than that. Buy a mechanical keyboard (personal recommendations are Razer (my preference; I have the BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth) or Logitech or Steelseries) and use this.
If you bring a mechanical keyboard to exams, your classmates will be fully within their rights to hate you.

Edit: and, on a serious note, proctors will probably throw you out.

Just so 0L's don't get freaked out and throw down $100+ for some neckbeard keyboard: for law school exams, there is zero advantage to using one over a plain laptop keyboard. Seriously.

corplab123

New

Post by corplab123 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:06 pm

Re: Corp Lab. (wall of text ahead)

Disclaimer: I did well as a team member and then was a team lead. I became a student director. I know a bit more than the average student about how things work (grading, quality of students, etc).

It is how much the professor's like you, but not in the way that's implied in this thread. Professors like you because 1) your team lead says good things about you (you turn in work on time, you don't argue with your lead (people actually do this fairly often), your work product doesn't take a lot of revisions), 2) your team says good things about you (this is pretty much where "I worked a lot" comes in--it applies elsewhere but if you slacked your team is the most likely to complain), 3) your SD says good things about you (turning in good work that requires little revisions, sending professional emails,not fighting with members of your team, not screwing up assignments to the point where clients complain, etc), 4) your work product is good (there ARE some people who consistently turn in flawless work, and there ARE others who turn in work that SDs make hundreds of comments on and have multiple rounds of revisions--the idea that work product is fungible is an absolute fucking joke), 5) clients like you (this can mean a lot of things--sending professional emails, knowing how to talk on a conference call, answering the question they asked in your work product, etc). There's a lot more that I'm leaving out but this should make 1Ls understand.

Let me be clear: if you got a bad grade in corporate lab, you likely deserved it (bad work, fighting with your team / professors, antisocial, etc). Oh your friend worked hard but got a shitty grade? You have NO IDEA what their work was like or how they acted toward others in the lab (the things I've seen my very smart classmates do/say would astound you). If you got an outstanding grade in corporate lab, you likely deserved it (you probably made life easier for the people above you and were pleasant to be around--the same qualities that would make you succeed at a firm). If you got a slightly-above average grade in corporate lab, it could be because you're just a likeable person and are otherwise average with a mix of strengths and weaknesses (I don't mean to say these people didn't deserve it, but this is where the rumors mentioned in this thread come from). Everyone has minor biases and they may make their way into grading on the margins. Ever wonder why seminars always include "participation points?" Hint: on a curve, a prof can say that everyone had very similar submitted work and then how much the prof likes you could carry a not insignificant portion of the grade. That's life. That's non-blind-graded classes.

If you got a shitty grade--sure, it could have been that your team lead was just awful and you did all the work. But are you stepping up and taking ownership or are you letting the team lead do all the leading? Team leads are there for the sake of organization, but that doesn't mean that you can sit back on a sinking ship and expect to come out with good grades.

I graduated a few years ago, and I can tell you that the people who had problems in the corporate lab had problems at their firm (they were pushed out, laid off, didn't enjoy firm life because of social reasons, etc.). The people who did well are doing well in their careers (advancing ranks at a firm, sweet in-house position, love their job, etc.). I'm not surprised that there's a decent amount of people on TLS that didn't do very well (I'm not hating on TLS--I'm on it. But there's definitely a correlation between people who browse law school admissions forums instead of hanging out with friends and people who are socially awkward.). And maybe they have friends that had similarly negative experiences. Hell--UChicago is pretty socially challenged as a whole.

Grades in lab differ from grades in BLL classes. There's a very strong correlation at the extremes (very bad grades likely equals bad work, very good grades (law review grade-on/k&e scholar) tends to equal very good work), but if the professor hates you or likes you, it's probably not for an arbitrary reason. You either do good work and make your superior's life easier, or you do the opposite. And that's how it'll be when you go to your firm. Why would you want to be graded on anything else? Don't you want to be a better lawyer in every sense of the term, rather than just technically? Don't you want to know how to improve your memos to clients in law school instead of sending a piece of shit to a real client? These people complaining about corporate lab grades are the same that wish OCI was based entirely on GPA. That's not how the world works, and you're in for a big surprise when you enter it.

And come on. It's a 179 curve. Get over yourselves. It's fine to use TLS as your outlet for your frustrations (maybe you're a social and technically strong student who just had a bad team and you lost out bc of association--rare (generally a strong student can carry a bad team) but it does happen), but don't poison the well for future students. Hasn't the lab grown into like three different sections now? There's a reason a sizeable portion of the class takes it throughout law school.

Here's my advice: if you turn in work with few mistakes and are socially competent, you'll do well. If you are someone who loves talking to clients, has an easy time sending professional emails, and reads their work over a few times before submitting, you'll get a very good grade. If you are someone who doesn't like those things or who cringes at the idea of giving a presentation in front of the class,talking on a conference call, or getting drinks with a client, you might not do so well. I'd still recommend taking it for the socially awkward people who want to push themselves to be better or more comfortable in professional situations. Lab is an excellent trial run for firm life, so get your mistakes out of the way now and learn from them.
Last edited by corplab123 on Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:31 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mad Hatter

Silver

Post by Mad Hatter » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:48 pm

Most 1L exams are in-class.

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:05 pm

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:00 am

I think I'm amongst those who definitely appreciates having to go to a physical space and take an exam in a setting which feels "official"; that being said, after this admissions cycle (chock-full of Skype- and video-interviews as it was), I did discover a theretofore unknown and untapped ability to excel at a complex task in my skivvies.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:31 am

corplab123 wrote:wall of text
hear, hear.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Wedge Antilles

New

Post by Wedge Antilles » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:31 am

Even assuming all that matters in corporate lab grading is personality and work product-which is just not true and there have been many examples that have disproved this theory-it's still a terrible class to take imo, and I love easy classes. I'm not sure why people are so dead set on trying to argue against anyone's negative opinion of the program. Like I totally agree it can be easy for some and you can get out of it exactly what you put in, but that's not the only possible result. Add that to the fact that DZ/DF and student directors are horrible to work with, and give mostly worthless feedback, that actual class time is a total waste, the work isn't really ever interesting, and that you maybe only interact with your client two or three times per quarter (usually none if you're a regular team member), corporate lab became for me and many of my friends an absolutely terrible experience. And this is not indicative of some personality flaw like the kool aid drinking student director would have you believe.

Corporate lab is at best, a super easy and worthless class. If you want to take a class that doesn't have a final, and where you might be able to escape with a decent grade doing less work than you might in a doctrinal class, then definitely take it. Just know there is a risk that you might be fucked by any number of things outside of your control-like a team lead who goes rogue, a student director who throws your whole team under the bus and lies to the professors, or the professors forgetting about how you were on a better team this quarter and so they gave you the same low grade you got last quarter (all of which happened to my team / team members and I luckily survived with a good grade). I have gotten really good grades in doctrinal classes only studying a few days before the final. That's way better to me because I can avoid the circle jerk of corporate lab altogether and avoid the stress of wondering what arbitrary grades will be spit out for me and my friends/team members.

Do NOT take corporate lab if you are looking for a worthwhile experience in corporate work, to work with professors who care about your development, or at the very least even remember the projects you're working on, or if you somehow think it will be somehow otherwise helpful for you.

MaybeSoMaybeNot

New

Post by MaybeSoMaybeNot » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:56 am

Wedge Antilles wrote:Even assuming all that matters in corporate lab grading is personality and work product-which is just not true and there have been many examples that have disproved this theory-it's still a terrible class to take imo, and I love easy classes. I'm not sure why people are so dead set on trying to argue against anyone's negative opinion of the program. Like I totally agree it can be easy for some and you can get out of it exactly what you put in, but that's not the only possible result. Add that to the fact that DZ/DF and student directors are horrible to work with, and give mostly worthless feedback, that actual class time is a total waste, the work isn't really ever interesting, and that you maybe only interact with your client two or three times per quarter (usually none if you're a regular team member), corporate lab became for me and many of my friends an absolutely terrible experience. And this is not indicative of some personality flaw like the kool aid drinking student director would have you believe.

Corporate lab is at best, a super easy and worthless class. If you want to take a class that doesn't have a final, and where you might be able to escape with a decent grade doing less work than you might in a doctrinal class, then definitely take it. Just know there is a risk that you might be fucked by any number of things outside of your control-like a team lead who goes rogue, a student director who throws your whole team under the bus and lies to the professors, or the professors forgetting about how you were on a better team this quarter and so they gave you the same low grade you got last quarter (all of which happened to my team / team members and I luckily survived with a good grade). I have gotten really good grades in doctrinal classes only studying a few days before the final. That's way better to me because I can avoid the circle jerk of corporate lab altogether and avoid the stress of wondering what arbitrary grades will be spit out for me and my friends/team members.

Do NOT take corporate lab if you are looking for a worthwhile experience in corporate work, to work with professors who care about your development, or at the very least even remember the projects you're working on, or if you somehow think it will be somehow otherwise helpful for you.
I'm a previous SD as well. I don't even know where to start. I will say that your average UoC student thinks far too highly of themselves. The work product we get is RIDDLED with typo's, grammar errors, inaccurate statements of the law, etc. I've given back Memo's with HUNDREDS of comments, and these are students that are about to start summer associateships. It's bewildering.

I promise you this: the reason why DZ is often upset is because he has to deal with unacceptable work product, and as a result, really unhappy clients. I've been on multiple phone calls where in-house counsel near chews him out because what they were sent (even after 100 revisions) is absolute trash.

You get out of Lab what you put into it. It's not surprising that in the two years I was part of Lab, the people that complained the most were also the ones that turned in the worst work product, were incompetent during presentations, and displayed zero ability to interface with faculty or clients.

I've sat in on 4 grade meetings. We go through each student, and discuss them individually, as well as the team. It simply doesn't work how you think it does. I truly didn't give a fuck who you were - if you did quality work and were a functioning member of the team, I went to bat for you. If you had me up until 1am on multiple occasions to edit v27 of an awful memo, I didn't.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:04 am

MaybeSoMaybeNot wrote: I don't even know where to start. I will say that your average UoC student thinks far too highly of themselves.
are you trying to parody yourself

people can have different perspectives, you don't need to correct someone else's opinion on a thing that you liked

just let someone be "wrong" on the internet

Wedge Antilles

New

Post by Wedge Antilles » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:25 am

I'm not even sure how that's responsive to my post. I don't know how many times I can repeat that I got a good grade and turned in fine work product that didn't need many changes. In spite of all that I still thought it was a horrible class.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MaybeSoMaybeNot

New

Post by MaybeSoMaybeNot » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:50 am

beepboopbeep wrote:
MaybeSoMaybeNot wrote: I don't even know where to start. I will say that your average UoC student thinks far too highly of themselves.
are you trying to parody yourself

people can have different perspectives, you don't need to correct someone else's opinion on a thing that you liked

just let someone be "wrong" on the internet
I'm fine with someone having a different perspective. If you don't like Lab, fine. If you got nothing out of it, fine. But it's frustrating when they are saying factually inaccurate things, e.g., "work product is a minimal part of your grade" or "Student Directors will lie to faculty." And it's even more frustrating when inaccurate things might cause really high-quality people to avoid Lab.

Edit: Wedge's last post is fine by me. S/he had a bad experience, and wouldn't recommend the class. Great.

Wedge Antilles

New

Post by Wedge Antilles » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:53 am

My student director literally lied to the professors about one of our assignments. I don't know how you can dispute that. I hope everyone avoids corporate lab. I'm honestly shocked that zarfes has a job at a school as good as ours.
Last edited by Wedge Antilles on Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaybeSoMaybeNot

New

Post by MaybeSoMaybeNot » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:56 am

Wedge Antilles wrote:My student director literally lied to the professors about one of our assignments. I don't know how you can dispute that. I hope everyone avoids corporate lab. Zarfes is a racist, bigoted asshole and I don't know why people defend him so much. I'm honestly shocked that he has a job at a school as good as ours.
Well, at least I know who you are at this point. If you want to discuss via PM, we can. Otherwise, calm down.

Wedge Antilles

New

Post by Wedge Antilles » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:59 am

I don't have anything to discuss over pm. I know of at least three people who have/plan to drop before they've competed three quarters of corporate lab and many more who wish they had. This should really tell you something about why you have trouble getting quality students to join.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mad Hatter

Silver

Post by Mad Hatter » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:12 pm

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:37 pm

MaybeSoMaybeNot wrote:it's even more frustrating when inaccurate things might cause really high-quality people to avoid Lab.
:roll:

guys the internet's lying and we will only get the pleb students in corp lab now

but remember not to be too full of yourself, UofC kids

MaybeSoMaybeNot

New

Post by MaybeSoMaybeNot » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:53 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
MaybeSoMaybeNot wrote:it's even more frustrating when inaccurate things might cause really high-quality people to avoid Lab.
:roll:

guys the internet's lying and we will only get the pleb students in corp lab now

but remember not to be too full of yourself, UofC kids
This is idiotic. UoC is a great school, but there are quality differences between students. Some are great writers, others are not. Some are great with clients, others are not. Any clinic - whether Corporate Lab or Federal Justice - wants the "best" students it can get. And good students tend to shy away from classes in which the grades are assumed to be arbitrary, that your classmates will proactively sabotage you, etc.

My point is simply that it's not as random as Wedge would have you believe, and that shouldn't dissuade people from taking it.

Wedge Antilles

New

Post by Wedge Antilles » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:19 pm

My first quarter in corp lab our team lead either actively tried or just inadvertently blundered into sabatoging our teams grades. So yes that happens. If you join lab you run the risk of having awful people represent you to the clients and professors. And I've never said that grades don't work out to sometimes be just about your work product and personality. But if you are really going to try and act like the grading is some purely objective process divorced from all biases, especially the professors opinions about people, then I guess that's your prerogative. It's just an absurd position to take when you consider how the professors think/act and that parsing people's work in a long memo is really hard to do. Maybe someone did a great job on their end and the rest of their team messed their side up. If you have poor leadership or non discrete tasks, which are both very likely, grades will be very dependent on your ability to kowtow to professors.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

corplab123

New

Post by corplab123 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:27 pm

If people want to post their bad experience, that's completely fine. The point of my post was to correct some of the baseless claims made earlier ITT (many were repeated after my post, but I'm going to let that lie). I will say that DZ cares a lot about students -- there are some who joined the lab and were incredibly socially awkward and struggled, and DZ invited them to extra social events and even took the student into his office to plan out topics for discussion, etc. On tons of occasions, he had hour long meetings with students regarding work quality and taught them, piece by piece, how to write for an in-house client. Not everyone "gets" corporate stuff right off the bat--and I think DZ was great at teaching it. Even with me, who this stuff kind of comes naturally to, DZ would send me replies to my emails with clients suggesting things I could say better next time (and he would have debriefs after calls to explain what I could have done differently, etc). He also found opportunities for me to get in front of clients because I expressed an interest. Regarding the comment about how only leads get client interaction--that's for the sake of the client (you can imagine how frustrating it would be to have 10 different students emailing you about a project), but there's plenty of opportunity to be a lead if you are even slightly competent (everyone I knew that asked got to be a lead, except one circumstance where the person was just awful). Finally, the idea that DZ isn't qualified is an absolute joke--the man was general counsel of E&Y for 15 years, and he has LOADS of money and does this because he cares about teaching students. He spends his own money on many, many corporate lab events and client dinners because he wants it to be a success. The school is outstandingly lucky to have him and we're known as the best corporate-clinic around by clients (I've been told this by many clients who work with a few different law schools--only Michigan's is close and Bloom used to be at UChicago).

For me, corporate lab was my absolute favorite part of law school. Hell--it's one of the reasons I chose UChicago and I'm very happy with my decision. Right away I was able to have speaking roles on conference calls with assistant GCs at multinational companies, and as I learned from watching others, I was more and more saying and doing more and before I knew it, I was leading calls. How many people go into firms and are thrown onto conference calls with no experience at all? A LOT. Knowing what to say to a client when you don't know something, knowing how to respond to their concerns, knowing how to make them laugh--it all pays huge dividends when you start working at a firm. Corporate lab taught me that memos to clients don't look like exams or like they do in a legal writing class--they're more to the point, sharper, and focus less on legal citations and more on advising. That's something that a lot of young associates at my firm come in not knowing, and I was a step ahead of my class as a result. I also learned how to be an effective member of a team--I learned that my goal at my firm should be to make my superior's life easier--and that's led to me getting a lot of cool work because my seniors know that I can handle it and it takes work off their plate to assign to me. Finally, and I know this is unique to team leads/SDs, but I learned to lead. I didn't have work experience between law school and this filled that void -- I learned what worked for me and what didn't -- what got my team members to work hard and what made them slack. I learned the importance of meeting deadlines and turning in perfect work. I learned more in lab than I did in any black letter law class.

I feel like I have the complainer ITT pegged pretty well -- and no, I'm not disparaging your feelings by brushing you off as an aspie. You were competent/social enough, but never tried to make anything of his time in the lab. Just did the minimal work assigned to him and slid by. That's completely fine to do. And you can do that in lab if that's what you want to do (and maybe that's your complaint -- that it's too easy to slide by). But don't discourage others because you weren't looking to do anything more than take an easy class. If you want a great experience in lab, you can get one. If you want an easy experience and you're reasonably competent/social, you got it. But that doesn't mean the opportunities aren't there, and it doesn't mean that the issues you mentioned weren't a result of your actions. If you think your SD is lying (he probably wasn't), you should say something about it. That's a real life situation that you'll encounter many times at a firm. Get ready for the real world. You'll probably slide by at a firm for a few years with that attitude, but if you're looking to make a career out of this law thing, you need to acknowledge where you fell short instead of casting blame. Growing is a big part of law school.

corplab123

New

Post by corplab123 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:33 pm

Wedge Antilles wrote:My first quarter in corp lab our team lead either actively tried or just inadvertently blundered into sabatoging our teams grades. So yes that happens. If you join lab you run the risk of having awful people represent you to the clients and professors. And I've never said that grades don't work out to sometimes be just about your work product and personality. But if you are really going to try and act like the grading is some purely objective process divorced from all biases, especially the professors opinions about people, then I guess that's your prerogative. It's just an absurd position to take when you consider how the professors think/act and that parsing people's work in a long memo is really hard to do. Maybe someone did a great job on their end and the rest of their team messed their side up. If you have poor leadership or non discrete tasks, which are both very likely, grades will be very dependent on your ability to kowtow to professors.
I never said there weren't biases on the margins. But the other poster is correct in saying that SDs have meetings with faculty where everything/everyone is discussed in detail. Realize that your work is being submitted to a real client. If you just sit by and let shitty work go to the client because your team member sucked, you don't deserve to do well. Like I said in my last post (which you seemed to completely ignore), it's not the team lead's job to do all of the leading. Sometimes you have to step up. Sometimes you get lucky and your team/team lead rocks and you don't have to, and sometimes that's not the case. Again, that's how it is in the real world. When you're at a firm, you aren't judged solely off of your work product, you're a member of a team. And your superiors at the firm have the same biases that professors do. Everyone's human at the end of the day. The world isn't made of robots.

If you want me to go into detail about how I've seen people successfully approach having shitty teams, let me know. I've seen many strong (non-team lead) students carry teams entirely (it isn't rare), and even if you can't (or don't want to) carry it completely, I've even seen lots of people who had asses for team leads make it clear to lab leadership they cared and were at least trying to right the ship. But again, you have to exert effort. Sometimes a lot of effort. I don't mean to sound like a boomer or holier-than-thou, but that's how it is at firms, my man.
Last edited by corplab123 on Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wedge Antilles

New

Post by Wedge Antilles » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:34 pm

Thanks for the comment. I'm really gonna have to rethink my career trajectory. Corporate lab could have taught me so much now I don't even know if I'll survive as a lawyer.

corplab123

New

Post by corplab123 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:37 pm

Wedge Antilles wrote:Thanks for the comment. I'm really gonna have to rethink my career trajectory. Corporate lab could have taught me so much now I don't even know if I'll survive as a lawyer.
This isn't helpful/constructive, and it's pretty clear that wasn't what I was saying or trying to get at. But at this point I think that 0Ls/1Ls have both sides so I'll let it lie.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”