UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Re: UChi 1Ls - 2 Quarters Down (!!) & Taking Questions

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Sun May 15, 2011 5:25 pm

ellewoods110 wrote:
Ghost wrote:Which classes do we take first quarter?

You don't find out until like, a week before orientation. This year we had Civ Pro 1, Contracts, Criminal Law, and Elements of the Law, plus LRW, but it changes so don't count on that being the case.
+1

I think you can bank on having Civ Pro I and Elements in your first quarter and then Civ Pro II and Elective in Spring (no other possible alternatives for these), but the 2 quarter-classes can be swapped around.

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Sun May 15, 2011 10:03 pm

Where are some good places to live in the south loop?

Ghost

Silver

Post by Ghost » Mon May 16, 2011 7:22 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alphamoose

Bronze

Post by alphamoose » Tue May 17, 2011 10:10 am

Last edited by alphamoose on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Name

New

Post by Name » Sat May 21, 2011 5:34 pm

Hi! I just got off the wait list and i have a few questions. I read this whole thread but i am still unsure on a few points.

First, I plan on coming for a visit, but as it is almost June what can i expect to find at the school? Are any classes still running? If I call the dean of admissions can I get a student to show me around and tell me about the place?

Second, I am someone who needs downtime. I really do not want studying to be my whole life. I am from New York City, so I like the idea of being in another big city with things going on, but how much will i really have an opportunity to take advantage of living in the city? How much is UChi really a place where fun goes to die? And does the quarter system make for a more miserable life? And yes, i know all law schools are hard work and stress, but even still...

Third, how difficult will it be to find placement in NY? It seems that 80 percent of the class falls in the B range, will employers from far away be turned off by that and turn instead to Columbia and NYU? I imagine that UChi does very well in the chicago and Midwest markets, but what about NY, and how on top do you need to be?

Lastly, I plan on entering public interest or government. I am not super interested in big law, how helpful will UChi be in helping me in this field. Does it pay to go to UChi, which seems to be a hugely intense school, or can I go to Georgetown and receive the same chances in the public interest/govt market?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

marburger06

New

Post by marburger06 » Sat May 21, 2011 9:52 pm

Allright, time for procrastinating finals studying by answering questions...

Can't really answer the south loop question. Find an apartment finding service and have them help you out.
Ghost wrote:I know most people seem to dislike New Grad Housing. How are the Drexel apartments though?
Are you talking about the grad building on 60th and Drexel, or the individual university apartments scattered around Drexel? The former is meh - the rooms are small and the furniture is standard dorm fare, but it's really cheap and you're close to the law school (and unlike New Grad you get a kitchen). The other individual apartments around Drexel tend to be quite spacious and kind of cool-looking, but the buildings are old so you might have heating/cooling problems.
alphamoose wrote:If current student here lives anywhere other than hyde park, could you share how you get to school each day/how long it takes?
I don't, but have made the commute from South Loop before. From the South Loop during peak times driving is 20-25 and bus is 35ish, depending on traffic and where in the South Loop you live.
Name wrote:Hi! I just got off the wait list and i have a few questions. I read this whole thread but i am still unsure on a few points.

First, I plan on coming for a visit, but as it is almost June what can i expect to find at the school? Are any classes still running? If I call the dean of admissions can I get a student to show me around and tell me about the place?

Second, I am someone who needs downtime. I really do not want studying to be my whole life. I am from New York City, so I like the idea of being in another big city with things going on, but how much will i really have an opportunity to take advantage of living in the city? How much is UChi really a place where fun goes to die? And does the quarter system make for a more miserable life? And yes, i know all law schools are hard work and stress, but even still...

Third, how difficult will it be to find placement in NY? It seems that 80 percent of the class falls in the B range, will employers from far away be turned off by that and turn instead to Columbia and NYU? I imagine that UChi does very well in the chicago and Midwest markets, but what about NY, and how on top do you need to be?

Lastly, I plan on entering public interest or government. I am not super interested in big law, how helpful will UChi be in helping me in this field. Does it pay to go to UChi, which seems to be a hugely intense school, or can I go to Georgetown and receive the same chances in the public interest/govt market?
1. 2L and 3L finals are this week, 1L finals are the following week. You might be able to sit in on a 1L class, but it's really not the ideal time. I'm not sure if students will be available to show you around, but if you call Dean Perry I am sure she will work something out to make sure somebody (whether it is a student or admissions staffer) to show you around.

2. Depends on your studying habits and how much effort you put into seeing the city. Plenty of people went out on a regular basis during 1L, but if your goal is to be on law review you probably won't be going out as much. In no world though will you NEVER get a chance to see the city - especially fall quarter when you only have 2 finals of 1 quarter of material. If you live in Hyde Park though it does make it harder to get out.
The "fun goes to die" thing though is primarily for the undergrads. That's definitely not true at the law school. I'd say people here probably are a little more serious about academics than students at other law schools, but going out on weekends is the norm (during non-finals time and non-LRW assignment time, at least).
Quarter system makes life easier in the fall, much worse in the spring (when you take 4 finals).

3. You don't need to have higher grades to get in the NY market. In fact, if anything it's more competitive in Chicago because there are so many people trying to get jobs here and the legal market here has been a bit slower to pick up. There are fewer employers from NY that come to OCI than at NYU or Columbia, but there are still plenty that come to have enough spots for the people that want the jobs and are otherwise qualified for any other market.

4. I don't understand then why you asked about NY "placement." Usually that word carries the connotation of biglaw; public interest is another game entirely. Your grades don't matter nearly as much as your commitment, prior experience, involvement during law school, and connections to organizations. Whether it's "worth it" to go to UChicago depends a lot on what you want to do. If you want a public defender job or work for state government - probably won't make a difference. If you want to aim for the prestigious fellowships (Skadden, Equal Justice Works, PMF), selective public interest gigs (e.g., ACLU), or high-level federal government (DOJ, SEC), you will have a better shot coming from Chicago. Not only does the ranking matter, but also the fact that you won't be competing against as many people for these positions.
UofC's public interest services are rapidly improving. Our resources aren't quite on par with NYU yet, but we have a great director of public interest who is super connected, there are more pro bono opportunities, and they're overhauling the clinic system so any student who wants to be in a clinic will be able to be in one.

Ghost

Silver

Post by Ghost » Sun May 22, 2011 10:38 am

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sun May 22, 2011 1:28 pm

Ghost wrote:Good luck on exams!

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Sun May 22, 2011 7:16 pm

Dany wrote:
Ghost wrote:Good luck on exams!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Sun May 29, 2011 12:56 pm

marburger06 wrote: If you have Helmholz for property, (in his words)....WATCH OUT. He gives very low Cs.
How low we talkin here....

:?

California Babe

Bronze

Post by California Babe » Sun May 29, 2011 1:24 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
marburger06 wrote: If you have Helmholz for property, (in his words)....WATCH OUT. He gives very low Cs.

I have heard that the Hammer likes to take advantage of the full breadth of grading options from 168 all the way to 186, and isn't shy about using the ends of the spectrum. On the other hand, the Registrar tries to equalize the 1L class curves across both sections, so I'm curious as to how it all evens out.

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Mon May 30, 2011 2:30 pm

Here's a question: how viable is parking on the street in Hyde Park instead of paying for a garage spot? Is it safe, and is parking widely available?

marburger06

New

Post by marburger06 » Mon May 30, 2011 6:27 pm

California Babe wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:

I have heard that the Hammer likes to take advantage of the full breadth of grading options from 168 all the way to 186, and isn't shy about using the ends of the spectrum. On the other hand, the Registrar tries to equalize the 1L class curves across both sections, so I'm curious as to how it all evens out.
I heard that about the registrar last year too....andddd Helm still gave out 168s and 169s (for the 0Ls...scores under 170, and really under 173 for most profs, are kind of unheard of).
duckmoney wrote:Here's a question: how viable is parking on the street in Hyde Park instead of paying for a garage spot? Is it safe, and is parking widely available?
During the day and not around Uchicago (talking south of 55th, esp around Hyde Park Boulevard and the spots on South Shore), parking is very easy to come by. Hit 4 PM and you'll probably have to drive around for a while. Hit 9 PM and it's not uncommon to be searching for 15 minutes. Usually though you will find something, although it might be far from where you live (and therefore be a pain in the ass when it's cold out).
The opposite is true for parking around the school. You will almost certainly not get a spot near the law school if you arrive after 8:30. Later in the day it's easy. (but no, parking overnight around the school is not allowed - you run the risk of being towed if you car is on the midway after 2 AM).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

soupisgood

Bronze

Post by soupisgood » Tue May 31, 2011 2:42 am

I know UChi has lockers, but backpacks >> tote bags/messenger bags/*insert other fashionable alternative to backpacks here* for class, yes??

Muenchen

Silver

Post by Muenchen » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:08 pm

I'm not sure if 1Ls would know this, but maybe a 2 or 3L, but for Fall quarter when do they usually post what classes are going to be offered? I believe I remember reading that you don't register until a few weeks before classes start (which is weird to me), but do they at least give you a decent amount of time before that to see what's offered?

I know incoming 1Ls won't get their schedules/section assignments until right before orientation, but still, if I could sift through the 1L courses and teachers for the fall over the summer, it would be nice to speculate and daydream..... :D

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:37 pm

soupisgood wrote:I know UChi has lockers, but backpacks >> tote bags/messenger bags/*insert other fashionable alternative to backpacks here* for class, yes??
Plenty of people use tote bags, but I'd say the majority of people carry a backpack. The lockers are really convenient though so you often shouldn't have to carry more than one casebook and your computer at any one time.
Muenchen wrote:I'm not sure if 1Ls would know this, but maybe a 2 or 3L, but for Fall quarter when do they usually post what classes are going to be offered? I believe I remember reading that you don't register until a few weeks before classes start (which is weird to me), but do they at least give you a decent amount of time before that to see what's offered?

I know incoming 1Ls won't get their schedules/section assignments until right before orientation, but still, if I could sift through the 1L courses and teachers for the fall over the summer, it would be nice to speculate and daydream..... :D
I don't know if any of the 1L classes get posted before you get your schedules....

ellewoods110

Bronze

Post by ellewoods110 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:07 pm

Muenchen wrote:I'm not sure if 1Ls would know this, but maybe a 2 or 3L, but for Fall quarter when do they usually post what classes are going to be offered? I believe I remember reading that you don't register until a few weeks before classes start (which is weird to me), but do they at least give you a decent amount of time before that to see what's offered?

Last year I remember that the book list got published before we got our schedules, and from that we could tell who was teaching what, and when.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

reversejinx

Bronze

Post by reversejinx » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:18 pm

Any other 0L's getting emails about the Tony Patino Fellowship? Anyone here going to apply?

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:13 pm

reversejinx wrote:Any other 0L's getting emails about the Tony Patino Fellowship? Anyone here going to apply?
You're asking in the wrong place, but I think everyone gets that email.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:16 pm

Emma. wrote:
reversejinx wrote:Any other 0L's getting emails about the Tony Patino Fellowship? Anyone here going to apply?
You're asking in the wrong place, but I think everyone gets that email.
Yep, and it's the same one about ten times.

WhatSarahSaid

Bronze

Re: UChi 1Ls - Crushed by Finals & Taking Questions

Post by WhatSarahSaid » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:47 am

Title change on the thread is depressing :(

The end is in sight!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:30 pm

WhatSarahSaid wrote:Title change on the thread is depressing :(

The end is in sight!
Shit got real. Law school is hard.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:44 pm

Emma. wrote:

The end is in sight!
I questioned my decision to attend law school far less when I wrote out a $50,000 check than I am right now. This is torture.
ALMOST.THERE.

*doesn't know a damn thing about Civil Procedure*

*has a Civil Procedure exam in 40 hours*

ellewoods110

Bronze

Post by ellewoods110 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:06 pm

Emma. wrote:

The end is in sight!
+1

jitsrenzo

Bronze

Post by jitsrenzo » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 pm

Helmholz. Nice guy, brilliant professor.

Also a demon from hell sent to torment law students and their GPAs

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”