UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
RodneyRuxin

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby RodneyRuxin » Sun May 10, 2015 3:08 pm

Un Chien Andalou wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
c0llegeStUd3nt wrote:Anyone have advice on a crim supplement? I have miles/masur.

Thanks in advance!

Dressler and it's not even close.

FWIW I pounded the Dressler hard and Crim was my worst grade of 1L by a couple points. A whole multitude of other issues went into that, though, and I didn't have those profs - so don't panic 1Ls if you've been using that book for that exam.

In other words, this is a totally irrelevant personal story that doesn't have much to do with the question about crim supplements.

And this is a totally typical aspie UChicago law student

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Sun May 10, 2015 3:15 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:
Un Chien Andalou wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
c0llegeStUd3nt wrote:Anyone have advice on a crim supplement? I have miles/masur.

Thanks in advance!

Dressler and it's not even close.

FWIW I pounded the Dressler hard and Crim was my worst grade of 1L by a couple points. A whole multitude of other issues went into that, though, and I didn't have those profs - so don't panic 1Ls if you've been using that book for that exam.

In other words, this is a totally irrelevant personal story that doesn't have much to do with the question about crim supplements.

TBF, he has a point, although that was unnecessarily rude.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Sun May 10, 2015 7:24 pm

Rahviveh wrote:
RodneyRuxin wrote:
Un Chien Andalou wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:

TBF, he has a point, although that was unnecessarily rude.

Yea I guess. I don't know the extent to which a Masur/Miles exam differs from a McAdams. I'd guess probably not that much but who knows.

Someone asked about crim supplements. Another person said Dressler was good. I said I had a bad experience having used Dressler primarily (though with the disclaimer that what didn't work for me might still work for someone else - which is probably true the other direction as well).

UCA if you want to put that incisive critical eye to work jumping on people's nuts, there's a whole bunch of worse shit on this website.

Robb

Postby Robb » Sun May 10, 2015 7:50 pm

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Sun May 10, 2015 8:27 pm

Robb wrote:Image

This is awesome.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Fri May 22, 2015 12:49 pm

Can anyone who went through the new 1L orientation program (Kapnick, is it?) talk a bit about that? I'm trying to figure out work schedule stuff (as of now, I'm scheduled to work in the evenings up until the start of semester), and when I called about potential conflicts today, I was cryptically told that a letter would be coming out in June, but that 1Ls were expected to be available "All day, every day" starting on September 14th.

I would be incredibly grateful to any of you who can give some insight into this; not being able to work those last two weeks would translate into basically not being able to take on two 3-month contracts starting in July, which would be pretty debilitating financially.

Edited to change date noted from Sept 1st to 14th -- no idea what happened there.
Last edited by zhenders on Mon May 25, 2015 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Fri May 22, 2015 4:06 pm

zhenders wrote:Can anyone who went through the new 1L orientation program (Kapnick, is it?) talk a bit about that? I'm trying to figure out work schedule stuff (as of now, I'm scheduled to work in the evenings up until the start of semester), and when I called about potential conflicts today, I was cryptically told that a letter would be coming out in June, but that 1Ls were expected to be available "All day, every day" starting on September 1st.

I would be incredibly grateful to any of you who can give some insight into this; not being able to work those last two weeks would translate into basically not being able to take on two 3-month contracts starting in July, which would be pretty debilitating financially.

You should consider yourself a full-time student starting with orientation. You have more scheduled time during those two weeks than you will at any other point in your LS career.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Fri May 22, 2015 4:43 pm

Understood; thanks.

Sundays fully booked up as well?

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Fri May 22, 2015 5:49 pm

zhenders wrote:Understood; thanks.

Sundays fully booked up as well?

No, weekends were free.

PariSiamo

Postby PariSiamo » Fri May 22, 2015 6:23 pm

Wait, they told you September 1st? That doesn't sound right.

Tiny Dancer

Postby Tiny Dancer » Sat May 23, 2015 11:54 pm

PariSiamo wrote:Wait, they told you September 1st? That doesn't sound right.

Especially since the calendar says orientation begins on September 14th.
http://www.law.uchicago.edu/students/ac ... ndar/15-16

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Sun May 24, 2015 3:45 am

TheUnicornHunter wrote:
You should consider yourself a full-time student starting with orientation. You have more scheduled time during those two weeks than you will at any other point in your LS career.

Yea this was somewhat true before Kapnick too, though the sense I get is that our orientation was a good bit shorter. I'm not sure how much it changed stuff overall, but at least before then, you could majorly blow stuff off with little repercussions. I straight up just left and went home in the middle of the day a couple times. Would be curious if any of the current 1Ls did the same (or got yelled at for trying).

Inb4 mal calls this an irrelevant personal anecdote again. It totally is. I just want to instill the slacker ethos early for next year's crop.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Sun May 24, 2015 11:08 am

beepboopbeep wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:

Yea this was somewhat true before Kapnick too, though the sense I get is that our orientation was a good bit shorter. I'm not sure how much it changed stuff overall, but at least before then, you could majorly blow stuff off with little repercussions. I straight up just left and went home in the middle of the day a couple times. Would be curious if any of the current 1Ls did the same (or got yelled at for trying).

Inb4 mal calls this an irrelevant personal anecdote again. It totally is. I just want to instill the slacker ethos early for next year's crop.

I think it would be tough to blow off the retreat or the small group stuff. If push came to shove, I don't think they'd like bar you from the law school for it, but it would definitely come to the administration's attention.

UofCforme

Postby UofCforme » Sun May 24, 2015 2:56 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:

I think it would be tough to blow off the retreat or the small group stuff. If push came to shove, I don't think they'd like bar you from the law school for it, but it would definitely come to the administration's attention.

I would plan on attending everything on your orientation schedule. It tapers off towards the end, but the first week and a half or so is very busy and the powers that be will definitely know if you miss anything Kapnick related. You could probably skip some of the bigger info sessions in the auditorium if it was absolutely necessary, though.

Postby 2014 » Sun May 24, 2015 11:45 pm

The information they will convey at all of the orientation stuff is stupid but what isn't is the opportunity to get to know your classmates in a setting where no one knows anyone yet. You've all been in these situations before, it's immensely easier to make friends when everyone is in the making friends mood and in that vein I'd show up to everything and meet as many people as you can.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Mon May 25, 2015 1:46 pm

On the date: September 1st is wrong -- completely my error; the 14th.

I could have been much clearer in my original post wrt my particular situation. I'm not planning on blowing anything off; I teach classes in the evenings the whole summer, and it happens that my last three classes -- which run downtown starting at 6pm -- fall on some of the weekdays on/after the 14th. I've just been trying to figure out if the orientation stuff -- at least the critical aspects -- tend to end at such a time that would allow me to still teach those final three classes.

Thanks to all of you for your input! I'm working on moving things around -- I'm just trying to figure it all out in such a way that the classes I teach are inconvenienced as little as possible.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Mon May 25, 2015 3:04 pm

zhenders wrote:On the date: September 1st is wrong -- completely my error; the 14th.

I could have been much clearer in my original post wrt my particular situation. I'm not planning on blowing anything off; I teach classes in the evenings the whole summer, and it happens that my last three classes -- which run downtown starting at 6pm -- fall on some of the weekdays on/after the 14th. I've just been trying to figure out if the orientation stuff -- at least the critical aspects -- tend to end at such a time that would allow me to still teach those final three classes.

Thanks to all of you for your input! I'm working on moving things around -- I'm just trying to figure it all out in such a way that the classes I teach are inconvenienced as little as possible.

I'd talk to the administration but the retreat seems like it would be the major/only hurdle for you- falls in the middle of the week, requires an overnight, and they really really don't want you to miss it (and honestly, it's fun, so you shouldn't want to miss it either).

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Mon May 25, 2015 4:37 pm

1) How is 1L Spring Quarter real life?

2) Orientation was awesome. Don't miss mandatory event unless you have to. But no one is going to actually care if you miss an event or two at night to teach a class.

UofCforme

Postby UofCforme » Tue May 26, 2015 12:15 am

lawschool2014hopeful wrote:1) How is 1L Spring Quarter real life?

Yeah this blows. I take an exam today and I have a mountain of civ pro reading for tomorrow, is this a joke?

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue May 26, 2015 12:25 am

UofCforme wrote:

Yeah this blows. I take an exam today and I have a mountain of civ pro reading for tomorrow, is this a joke?

Ha. Just be careful with your spring quarter scheduling for 2L year, too. I dun goofed and ended up taking three exams, including two eight-hour takehomes, in a ~40 hour period. Save your seminars, kids.

c0llegeStUd3nt

Postby c0llegeStUd3nt » Tue May 26, 2015 1:56 pm

UofCforme wrote:

Tiny Dancer

Postby Tiny Dancer » Tue May 26, 2015 7:54 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
UofCforme wrote:

Ha. Just be careful with your spring quarter scheduling for 2L year, too. I dun goofed and ended up taking three exams, including two eight-hour takehomes, in a ~40 hour period. Save your seminars, kids.

Especially because if you end up having no exams for spring quarter then you can get to your summer associate position a week early and get paid an extra $3000 bucks. Save your seminars!

skers

Postby skers » Tue May 26, 2015 8:09 pm

Tiny Dancer wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
UofCforme wrote:

Especially because if you end up having no exams for spring quarter then you can get to your summer associate position a week early and get paid an extra $3000 bucks. Save your seminars!

Most places have standard 10 week programs dude.

Robb

Postby Robb » Tue May 26, 2015 8:23 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
UofCforme wrote:

And avoid Omri Spring quarter. Seems like a nice guy, but we had to do the readings of a normal 10 week quarter in 8 weeks. I hear he's done it in other classes, too. Because we also had make up classes, this meant we had around 100 and 50 pages of reading for our last two classes (right before exams, of course).

Although big plus of small Omri classes is that he doesn't cold call.

UofCforme

Postby UofCforme » Wed May 27, 2015 12:05 am

Robb wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
UofCforme wrote:

And avoid Omri Spring quarter. Seems like a nice guy, but we had to do the readings of a normal 10 week quarter in 8 weeks. I hear he's done it in other classes, too. Because we also had make up classes, this meant we had around 100 and 50 pages of reading for our last two classes (right before exams, of course).

Although big plus of small Omri classes is that he doesn't cold call.

Nice guy, but contracts with that dude was real, actual death. Closed book multiple choice exam over the entire 2nd restatement of contracts and the UCC? No thanks.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”