UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Mal Reynolds

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:28 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Prospective student. It's subjective, sure, but as a current/former student, how much more money to you is UC worth than NU? I'm debating between the two.

What do you wanna be when you grow up and what is your scholarship amount to both schools.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:37 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Prospective student. It's subjective, sure, but as a current/former student, how much more money to you is UC worth than NU? I'm debating between the two.

What do you wanna be when you grow up and what is your scholarship amount to both schools.

I posted this in a different thread:
165k at NU, or about 50k at UChi (also will receive 15k over three years from a grant and contribute 7.5k SA salary during 2L summer)? Short term career goals are biglaw for 2 years. Long-term is lawyer in politics and maybe academia if I win law school. I have sufficient connections in the arcane political areas where I hope to eventually practice that make the prestige difference between UChi and NU probably a moot point (small political firms that specialize in 1st/5th/14th amendment stuff, which care far less about prestige than demonstrated interest and connections, which I have throughout undergrad and 3 years post-grad) . I'm 95% committed to NU, but think I would regret not going to UChi when I'm 50, when the $115k difference would be probably negligible. I conservatively average my salary over my 45 year career at $100k/yr, which is $4.5 mil pre-tax. So that makes the $115k tuition difference seem especially negligible. Also, my S/O will have a PhD and make six figs until she retires. Also, I should have sufficient connections to get an interesting job (paying 80k/yr + annual bonuses) if I am below median after law school graduation. I sound like I'm ahead of myself in terms of estimating my career chances but don't have the time or energy to justify my confidence in this post.

But now just a few days later, crunching the monthly totals, I realize I'd walk away debt free (and some extra pocket money) from NU, or pay about $1,500/month for 10 years at UC. That is fuckin dumb. I'd be tied to the golden handcuff, right?
Last edited by FloridaCoastalorbust on Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:39 pm

I would go to NU for that price difference.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:28 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:I would go to NU for that price difference.

Seconded. And I like U Chicago quite a lot.

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:35 pm

Absolutely love it here. Would go to NU in your situation.

UChicago2017

Postby UChicago2017 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:14 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:

I posted this in a different thread:
165k at NU, or about 50k at UChi (also will receive 15k over three years from a grant and contribute 7.5k SA salary during 2L summer)? Short term career goals are biglaw for 2 years. Long-term is lawyer in politics and maybe academia if I win law school. I have sufficient connections in the arcane political areas where I hope to eventually practice that make the prestige difference between UChi and NU probably a moot point (small political firms that specialize in 1st/5th/14th amendment stuff, which care far less about prestige than demonstrated interest and connections, which I have throughout undergrad and 3 years post-grad) . I'm 95% committed to NU, but think I would regret not going to UChi when I'm 50, when the $115k difference would be probably negligible. I conservatively average my salary over my 45 year career at $100k/yr, which is $4.5 mil pre-tax. So that makes the $115k tuition difference seem especially negligible. Also, my S/O will have a PhD and make six figs until she retires. Also, I should have sufficient connections to get an interesting job (paying 80k/yr + annual bonuses) if I am below median after law school graduation. I sound like I'm ahead of myself in terms of estimating my career chances but don't have the time or energy to justify my confidence in this post.

But now just a few days later, crunching the monthly totals, I realize I'd walk away debt free (and some extra pocket money) from NU, or pay about $1,500/month for 10 years at UC. That is fuckin dumb. I'd be tied to the golden handcuff, right?

I had the same choice, chose Chicago. Would make the same decision again without hesitation. Feel free to message me if you want to discuss specifics.

Leo

Postby Leo » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:09 pm

I know I already asked a similar question a while ago, but I need to know if taking a one-week trip in early September is compatible with OCI. Will also be attending Loyola PLIP.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:01 pm

Leo wrote:I know I already asked a similar question a while ago, but I need to know if taking a one-week trip in early September is compatible with OCI. Will also be attending Loyola PLIP.

I think it's going to be impossible for anyone to say for sure- definitely possible that you'll get a callback 3 weeks after OCI ends though. I'd say schedule, but leave yourself room to cancel everything at the last minute.

bearsfan23

Postby bearsfan23 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:55 pm

Leo wrote:I know I already asked a similar question a while ago, but I need to know if taking a one-week trip in early September is compatible with OCI. Will also be attending Loyola PLIP.

This completely depends on the firms you interivew at obviously, but I would strongly recommend making any plans for late August/early September unless you can cancel without issue.

Last year, I tried to schedule my CBs asap, but you don't know what a firm's availability is going to be. For example, one CB I was able to do the 2nd week of OCIs interviews, another didn't have any availability until mid-Sep.

Just my $.02, but hth. Error on the side of caution obviously

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:23 pm

If this trip is anything other than a wedding or other important family engagement just take a trip over fall break and skip a few days of school.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:42 pm

Is this part of the idiot 1L september vacation idea I've heard about?

slurpy

Postby slurpy » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:57 pm

Does anyone have experience with getting an apartment through university graduate housing 1L year? Related question: I like living alone (though I can and have lived with a roommate). Is it better/worse to have a roommate during 1L? and if I have a roommate, does it matter if the person is/is not a law student?

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:08 pm

slurpy wrote:Does anyone have experience with getting an apartment through university graduate housing 1L year? Related question: I like living alone (though I can and have lived with a roommate). Is it better/worse to have a roommate during 1L? and if I have a roommate, does it matter if the person is/is not a law student?

I don't have experience with graduate housing but I know people ITT who do so hopefully they respond.

As for the rest of your questions all of those options are totally fine and it will just come down to personal preference. If you like living alone do that for sure. But people live with roommates who are law students and non law students and all of them are able to succeed in school. There are tradeoffs for sure though. Living with a law student roommate will probably increase the probability that you discuss law school, which might be a pro or con depending on how you look at it. But mostly just do what you prefer and the benefits will likely outweigh the costs.

cubs_fan69

Postby cubs_fan69 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:06 pm

How far north of the law school would you guys recommend living if you still wanted a reasonable public transportation-based commute?

everything_bagel

Postby everything_bagel » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:18 pm

I think someone already asked this, but I'm too lazy to find it. If I want to find an apartment through Craigslist, how early do I need to show up in town?

Related: is this a crazy idea? (I keep hearing about gems out there and am not a huge fan of big apartment buildings or dorm furniture so I thought it might be a good option for me.)

PariSiamo

Postby PariSiamo » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:00 pm

^to branch off of this, I'm wondering about the experiences of current students living outside of Regents and Shoreland/in 1 BRs and whether they feel "out of it" socially.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:28 pm

PariSiamo wrote:^to branch off of this, I'm wondering about the experiences of current students living outside of Regents and Shoreland/in 1 BRs and whether they feel "out of it" socially.

Yes, but that was sort of by choice - if you're the type who wants to go to bar review every week, Regents is a good place to be. As someone who wasn't at all in with the cool kids, Regents seemed from the outside like the center of "cool kid" activity. I'm trying hard to avoid saying all the douchebags lived there. There were some okay ones too.

everything_bagel wrote:I think someone already asked this, but I'm too lazy to find it. If I want to find an apartment through Craigslist, how early do I need to show up in town?

Related: is this a crazy idea? (I keep hearing about gems out there and am not a huge fan of big apartment buildings or dorm furniture so I thought it might be a good option for me.)

I'd find a bunch of places and plan to visit in early August or so - it can get dicey trying to make something happen much after that, assuming a Sept 1 movein. I mean you don't need to move here that early unless you want to - a lot of leases start in Aug/Sept since the neighborhood still mostly revolves around the university. But stuff gets snatched up.

I think it's a great idea but I also went to undergrad here so that kind of stuff is easy. I think it would be pretty hard if you haven't lived in Chicago before, and I'd probably recommend at least sticking to bigger management companies (TLC, MAC, McKey & Poague) that can show you a bunch of places, rather than trying to find the awesome condos listed by crazy people for super cheap. I mean it's possible to find them w/ a lot of time spent browsing, but probably a better use of your time to go w/ a management co.

A lot of stuff gets posted on http://marketplace.uchicago.edu/apartments instead of craigslist, check there too. There used to be one that was like apartments.uchicago.edu or something but I think it's gone now.

PariSiamo

Postby PariSiamo » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:30 pm

Is Mal one of the cool kids you're talking about?

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:31 pm

Lol absolutely not. But probably one of the douchebags.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:02 pm

PariSiamo wrote:Is Mal one of the cool kids you're talking about?

LOL Mal is about as far from "cool kid" as anybody

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:28 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Lol absolutely not. But probably one of the douchebags.

Agreed.

Postby 2014 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:53 pm

#TeamRegents

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:09 pm

Taking bets on Strahilevitz for Dean.

skers

Postby skers » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:11 pm

It's time for the triumphant return of Stone.

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:12 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”