UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Hugh Hefner
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:06 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Hugh Hefner » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:13 pm

Can someone please tell me if taking Corporate Lab instead of a seminar will further my lower stress spring quarter goal? I hate seminars because of the giant papers due at the back end.

Un Chien Andalou
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:45 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Un Chien Andalou » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:25 pm

I think the corporate lab is the most poorly managed and absurd program at the law school. That's not to say it can't be really easy if you're lucky enough to get a good group and you don't get screwed over, either by the professors, student directors, or your teammates-which are all possibilities. But your grade performance is almost entirely divorced from the actual work you put in for any number of reasons. I've seem really smart people get totally screwed over and really lazy people skate by and get really good grades.

I totally regret taking the corporate lab and even though I probably put in less work than a doctrinal class I don't think the undue stress and ridiculous hoops you need to jump through are worth it at all. I'm posting this from an alt because I would rather not have these thoughts linked back to my profile for fear of retribution. If this sounds like I'm a tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist it's because I've heard of grade retribution from negative professor evaluations and other crap like that.

So I say enter corporate lab at your own peril. It can really go any number of ways but if I had the chance to do it again I wouldn't.

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby skers » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:28 pm

Corporate lab can be one the best parts of UofC, but UCA is right that there can be unnecessary drama that you wouldn't get in another class (though maybe good prep for firm life). Grades are generally high especially w/r/t the work commitment, but there could be other factors at play that lead you to not want to deal with it.
Last edited by skers on Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Un Chien Andalou
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:45 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Un Chien Andalou » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:37 pm

That's just not true. You must be one of the lucky ones. Last quarter my team lead totally threw the rest of our team under the bus when they told the professors they had no confidence in our work product the day before our work was due. I suspect this was a last ditch effort to save their own grade at our expense. I really don't know how that was my fault since I didn't pick my team lead. And my grade was not reflective of my actual work in any way. I could have gotten a better grade in a normally curved doctrinal class without a doubt. I've had similar issues this quarter on a new team but I would rather not specifiy those reasons. But suffice it to say it wasn't the fault of anyone on our team. You can obviously take that with a grain of salt but I really just don't want to say more. Your experience in the corporate lab doesn't mean my thoughts are invalid.

Hugh Hefner
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:06 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Hugh Hefner » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:42 pm

Thanks UCA. That gives me a lot to think about.

Skers, could you please say more about your obviously opposite experience?

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby skers » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:47 pm

Hugh Hefner wrote:Thanks UCA. That gives me a lot to think about.

Skers, could you please say more about your obviously opposite experience?


UCA got fucked by a shitheel, but if you actually care about grades post 1L, lol. That said, grades are definitely completely random to just determined by whether or not the profs like you. Still generally high though.
Last edited by skers on Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Un Chien Andalou
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:45 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Un Chien Andalou » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:50 pm

I can assure you Im not gunning for really high grades. But when you add up the absurd things I've had to do for a lower grade than I would have gotten in a doctrinal class, and definitely a worse grade than a seminar, it's just not worth it to me at all.

Like I said in my original post, both of our outcomes are possible. It's easier to like corporate lab when things go well for you though.

User avatar
WhiteyCakes
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby WhiteyCakes » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:30 pm

skers wrote:Corporate lab is one of the best parts of UofC.


L O fucking L

User avatar
PariSiamo
Posts: 406
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:03 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby PariSiamo » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:31 pm

How much free time do 1Ls have on average in a week, not counting finals? Sorry if this was asked earlier...

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:35 pm

PariSiamo wrote:How much free time do 1Ls have on average in a week, not counting finals? Sorry if this was asked earlier...


A great deal, even if you study hard. Spring quarter is a horse of a different color but even then you'll have free time. I tried to approach 1L as a 9-5 and that is totally doable for most of the year. Of course I got lazy sometimes or stressed sometimes and things changed. But it's really going to depend on what amount of work you think is sufficient to call it a day, and it's also going to depend on how efficient you are during the times you should be working.

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby skers » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:41 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:
skers wrote:Corporate lab is one of the best parts of UofC.


L O fucking L


Nvm.
Last edited by skers on Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

random number
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby random number » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:43 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
PariSiamo wrote:How much free time do 1Ls have on average in a week, not counting finals? Sorry if this was asked earlier...


A great deal, even if you study hard. Spring quarter is a horse of a different color but even then you'll have free time. I tried to approach 1L as a 9-5 and that is totally doable for most of the year. Of course I got lazy sometimes or stressed sometimes and things changed. But it's really going to depend on what amount of work you think is sufficient to call it a day, and it's also going to depend on how efficient you are during the times you should be working.



This has basically been my (1L) experience through fall and winter quarters. I don't quite work on a 9-5 system (I prefer to take a break in the afternoon and resume work in the evening), but as a general estimate of time commitment it is accurate, or even a bit excessive. As Mal said, it really comes down to efficiency and whether or not you can avoid distractions while studying. If you can, you'll have plenty of free time!

User avatar
PariSiamo
Posts: 406
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:03 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby PariSiamo » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:45 pm

Thanks guys, you are a great resource. Glad to hear people aren't huddled in the library 12 hours a day.

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby skers » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:47 pm

There are definitely people who grind like that, but it is definitely not necessary and, if anything, counter productive. You can, and should, have plenty of free time during the week and law-free weekends.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5832
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby 2014 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:56 pm

My 1L schedule was basically 7:30-5 with little variation and that worked fine. The daytime hours were far from 100% productivity as well but I was rather on top of my shit.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Rahviveh » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:00 pm

Hugh Hefner wrote:Can someone please tell me if taking Corporate Lab instead of a seminar will further my lower stress spring quarter goal? I hate seminars because of the giant papers due at the back end.


Seems to really depend on your client and team leads. You should ask around beforehand for what teams are good to join. You may also want to consider that they are switching to variable credits next year which means your timesheet actually matters. I don't know if this will actually change things in practice or how honest people are with timesheets in other clinics

Hugh Hefner
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:06 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Hugh Hefner » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:18 pm

Rahviveh wrote:
Hugh Hefner wrote:Can someone please tell me if taking Corporate Lab instead of a seminar will further my lower stress spring quarter goal? I hate seminars because of the giant papers due at the back end.


Seems to really depend on your client and team leads. You should ask around beforehand for what teams are good to join. You may also want to consider that they are switching to variable credits next year which means your timesheet actually matters. I don't know if this will actually change things in practice or how honest people are with timesheets in other clinics


Thanks.

Did you enjoy Corporate Lab? I've spoken to a few people in person about it. They were all lukewarm about it, except for one person who was almost as displeased as OCA.

Do people just join any team they want to?

How much work does it involve? I don't need it to be my best friend. I just need it to be less stressful than a seminar.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Rahviveh » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:21 pm

Hugh Hefner wrote:
Rahviveh wrote:
Hugh Hefner wrote:Can someone please tell me if taking Corporate Lab instead of a seminar will further my lower stress spring quarter goal? I hate seminars because of the giant papers due at the back end.


Seems to really depend on your client and team leads. You should ask around beforehand for what teams are good to join. You may also want to consider that they are switching to variable credits next year which means your timesheet actually matters. I don't know if this will actually change things in practice or how honest people are with timesheets in other clinics


Thanks.

Did you enjoy Corporate Lab? I've spoken to a few people in person about it. They were all lukewarm about it, except for one person who was almost as displeased as OCA.

Do people just join any team they want to?

How much work does it involve? I don't need it to be my best friend. I just need it to be less stressful than a seminar.


I enjoyed the reasonable time commitment and low stress involved. As far as work goes, I think that depends on what client/team you get placed on. I'm not sure how team selection works if you join next quarter.

EDIT: FWIW I would definitely take my chances with corp lab instead of doing a shitty paper seminar.
Last edited by Rahviveh on Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
elterrible78
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby elterrible78 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:24 pm

Rahviveh wrote:
Hugh Hefner wrote:
Rahviveh wrote:
Hugh Hefner wrote:Can someone please tell me if taking Corporate Lab instead of a seminar will further my lower stress spring quarter goal? I hate seminars because of the giant papers due at the back end.


Seems to really depend on your client and team leads. You should ask around beforehand for what teams are good to join. You may also want to consider that they are switching to variable credits next year which means your timesheet actually matters. I don't know if this will actually change things in practice or how honest people are with timesheets in other clinics


Thanks.

Did you enjoy Corporate Lab? I've spoken to a few people in person about it. They were all lukewarm about it, except for one person who was almost as displeased as OCA.

Do people just join any team they want to?

How much work does it involve? I don't need it to be my best friend. I just need it to be less stressful than a seminar.


I enjoyed the reasonable time commitment and low stress involved. As far as work goes, I think that depends on what client/team you get placed on. I'm not sure how team selection works if you join next quarter.


I think you'll probably have some choice in where you go. Half of Fed Soc switched to the Wed afternoon section last quarter, all ended up on the same team. Pretty sure the faculty is open to suggestions.

Hugh Hefner
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:06 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Hugh Hefner » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:43 pm

Awesome, thanks everyone.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:49 pm

Hugh Hefner wrote:Can someone please tell me if taking Corporate Lab instead of a seminar will further my lower stress spring quarter goal? I hate seminars because of the giant papers due at the back end.

generally a positive experience for me. But i echo the other posters who say that it really depends on your clients and your team lead. If your team lead does a good job then the faculty's perception of the team will be positive, and the points will trickle down to everyone on the team. If they fuck up..well then they just assume the whole team was kinda shitty. You have to realize that there are only two faculty that are truly involved and there are so many clients/teams/students. They don't have the time or capacity to get to understand each student's contributions and competence. It's all about how they perceive your team, which depends on the quality of the work product, whether your team meets its deadlines, is responsive to clients and faculty, and just generally comes off as confident/competent. And they only really interact regularly with your team lead unless you take the initiative to get noticed in some way.

UofCforme
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:12 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby UofCforme » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:10 pm

Is the wait time for 1L Winter grades about the same as the wait time for Fall grades?

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:36 pm

UofCforme wrote:Is the wait time for 1L Winter grades about the same as the wait time for Fall grades?


Grades are due April 13 so hopefully they will come out a few days after that.

WheninLaw
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby WheninLaw » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:27 pm

Hugh Hefner wrote:
Rahviveh wrote:
Hugh Hefner wrote:Can someone please tell me if taking Corporate Lab instead of a seminar will further my lower stress spring quarter goal? I hate seminars because of the giant papers due at the back end.


Seems to really depend on your client and team leads. You should ask around beforehand for what teams are good to join. You may also want to consider that they are switching to variable credits next year which means your timesheet actually matters. I don't know if this will actually change things in practice or how honest people are with timesheets in other clinics


Thanks.

Did you enjoy Corporate Lab? I've spoken to a few people in person about it. They were all lukewarm about it, except for one person who was almost as displeased as OCA.

Do people just join any team they want to?

How much work does it involve? I don't need it to be my best friend. I just need it to be less stressful than a seminar.


I loved Corporate Lab. TBH, the class punishes quiet people that can't (or won't) "play the game." I found the experience very similar to being a SA.

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:21 pm

Prospective student. It's subjective, sure, but as a current/former student, how much more money to you is UC worth than NU? I'm debating between the two.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mccracal and 1 guest