UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PariSiamo

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby PariSiamo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:16 pm

Alright. Thanks!

skers

Postby skers » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:20 pm

By the way, that's 13 including people who are URM and have STEM backgrounds, if you have neither of those, adjust your expectations even further downward accordingly.

middlebear

Postby middlebear » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:58 am

Anyone have a read on which schools' offers are particularly useful for negotiating w/Chi? I mean, I'm guessing that YHSCCN would be absolute best, but below that, do they seem to get picky on who is a peer and who isn't? Right now, I have offers in hand from Duke, Michigan, and Cornell (and am hoping to hear from Berkeley this week), but am wondering if I should wait to submit their reconsideration form until I might have something from Columbia.

slurpy

Postby slurpy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:07 pm

Can any current students give me some perspective on attending Chicago for public interest law (and as a flaming liberal)? I got a pretty good scholarship given my numbers, love their LRAP, love the city, but concerned that I might not fit with the school culture.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:35 pm

Re: negotiating, I had success using a CLS offer, but didn't get into those other schools. Weird cycle. Just offering a datapoint since you haven't gotten any other responses.

Re: school culture, I wouldn't worry about it. You can pretty much ignore the political stuff if you want to, and will find people who sympathize with whatever you believe. The vocal conservative bloc is still a minority (I'd guess); most people don't go out of their way to identify either way. Our class sizes are smaller but just like at any place, you find your group. Can't speak to the PI stuff but friends of mine who are going that direction seem pretty happy with the support they've gotten. From the outside, it seems that the clinical professors are pretty awesome and will go to bat for you at prominent PI orgs.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:37 pm

slurpy wrote:Can any current students give me some perspective on attending Chicago for public interest law (and as a flaming liberal)? I got a pretty good scholarship given my numbers, love their LRAP, love the city, but concerned that I might not fit with the school culture.

I'm not a PI guy, so I can't say much about that (although the PI people I know are having things work out for them just fine), but I wouldn't worry about fitting with the school culture. There's a very vocal contingent of conservative students here, but overall I'd say that most students lean left if they lean at all. The focus on law and econ in classes like torts can be a little overwhelming and disorienting for students at first (and especially liberal students), but it's actually a fantastic analytical toolkit for thinking about the law, and life in general, as long as you know where the limits are.

If you got a good scholly and love the LRAP (and what's not to love), you should strongly considering coming here, and not worry for a second about fitting in, because you will (we're thankfully very light on hipsters, though; so if you are one, I take back what I just said).

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:40 pm

How much were any students able to negotiate up from initial offers?

slurpy

Postby slurpy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:43 pm

elterrible78 wrote:
slurpy wrote:Can any current students give me some perspective on attending Chicago for public interest law (and as a flaming liberal)? I got a pretty good scholarship given my numbers, love their LRAP, love the city, but concerned that I might not fit with the school culture.

I'm not a PI guy, so I can't say much about that (although the PI people I know are having things work out for them just fine), but I wouldn't worry about fitting with the school culture. There's a very vocal contingent of conservative students here, but overall I'd say that most students lean left if they lean at all. The focus on law and econ in classes like torts can be a little overwhelming and disorienting for students at first (and especially liberal students), but it's actually a fantastic analytical toolkit for thinking about the law, and life in general, as long as you know where the limits are.

If you got a good scholly and love the LRAP (and what's not to love), you should strongly considering coming here, and not worry for a second about fitting in, because you will (we're thankfully very light on hipsters, though; so if you are one, I take back what I just said).

Yay! Hipsters are the worst! Thanks a lot for the response.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:44 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:How much were any students able to negotiate up from initial offers?

I negotiated my way to an extra $15k per year.

middlebear

Postby middlebear » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:14 pm

elterrible78 wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:How much were any students able to negotiate up from initial offers?

I negotiated my way to an extra $15k per year.

Good to hear, that's sort of what I'm keeping in mind as a "realistic" goal. And thanks beepboopbeep for your response also!

ETA: I'm not sure if I asked this before, and I've read through chunks of this thread and haven't seen much - does anyone have experience having a dog at Regent's? I know they say on their website they're pet friendly, I'm wondering if they have limits on that. (Might/would be thrilled to adopt a pooch this summer.)

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:53 pm

elterrible78 wrote:

Why you hate me sir

AspiringAcademic

Postby AspiringAcademic » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:11 pm

Crowing wrote:
Why you hate me sir

Well, we have to hate someone, and the furries have claws.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:19 pm

Crowing wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:

Why you hate me sir

You are a pretty stealth, non-offensive hipster. I love you man. One ironic mustache could change that, though.

UofCforme

Postby UofCforme » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:03 pm

I'm in the process of trying to book a short vacation after OCI and before 2L kicks off. Am I correct in assuming that all callbacks will be done M-F? Also, how much liberty do these firms give you in picking your callback dates? There would really only be one Friday that I would be unavailable. This is probably an unfounded concern, but I just wanted to cover my bases. Thanks!

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:59 am

UofCforme wrote:I'm in the process of trying to book a short vacation after OCI and before 2L kicks off. Am I correct in assuming that all callbacks will be done M-F? Also, how much liberty do these firms give you in picking your callback dates? There would really only be one Friday that I would be unavailable. This is probably an unfounded concern, but I just wanted to cover my bases. Thanks!

I'd be wary, though I've heard OCI's a week earlier this year. I was doing CBs up until a week before classes.

In terms of how much freedom you have to set your CB dates - ranges from "total" to "none". A couple firms offered me very few available dates, some of which were very late (2-3 weeks after OCI ended). You usually do have at least the choice of 2-3 possible days, though, so if it's just like a Friday-Sunday or Friday-Monday thing you'd probably be fine.

Unsolicited but related advice: don't take OCI's advice to schedule your callbacks immediately. I heard back from my last-ish choice firms first and scheduled them basically as soon I heard back, which meant a solid week of CBs that, had I heard back from other firms first, I might not even have accepted. It's true that some CB slots can fill up fast, but balance some judgment about preferences with the need to get things figured out quickly. Ideally you get your top choice callbacks done quickly and can cancel the rest, or however many you feel like cancelling after the fun of free vacations wears off. Just don't feel like you need to get a same-day response back to firms--it'll be ok if you wait a little bit and your schedule will be much more manageable.

Postby 2014 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:04 am

There's something to be said about scheduling firms that have quick and high offer rates very soon. You can figure out what firms these are from TLA. A good example is SullCrom, scheduling that CB asap helps build your confidence because you can breathe easy knowing you have a great option locked up.

jawsjawsjaws

Postby jawsjawsjaws » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:57 am

In the guide book it says student financial aid allocation is increased by $1500 on a one time basis to cover the cost of a laptop purchase. Can someone explain this in detail?

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:45 am

jawsjawsjaws wrote:In the guide book it says student financial aid allocation is increased by $1500 on a one time basis to cover the cost of a laptop purchase. Can someone explain this in detail?

Your mommy and daddy give you ten dollars to open a lemonade stand. So you go out and buy your cups and sugar and everything, but that ten dollars doesn't leave you with enough money to buy a new MacBook pro. So your mommy and daddy will give you eleven dollars as a one-time favor instead of ten dollars. That way you can open your lemonade stand and get your new MacBook.

middlebear

Postby middlebear » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:34 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
jawsjawsjaws wrote:In the guide book it says student financial aid allocation is increased by $1500 on a one time basis to cover the cost of a laptop purchase. Can someone explain this in detail?

Your mommy and daddy give you ten dollars to open a lemonade stand. So you go out and buy your cups and sugar and everything, but that ten dollars doesn't leave you with enough money to buy a new MacBook pro. So your mommy and daddy will give you eleven dollars as a one-time favor instead of ten dollars. That way you can open your lemonade stand and get your new MacBook.

And this counts as aid, not loans? That is--I don't have to repay them for my shiny new laptop?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:40 am

middlebear wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:

And this counts as aid, not loans? That is--I don't have to repay them for my shiny new laptop?

They increase the cost of attendance for one year by $1500, which increases the loans for which you are eligible.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:44 am

middlebear wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:

No it's a loan. You're only allocated a certain budget each year based on estimates of your cost of living. You could maybe afford a laptop without the computer increase, but that would likely mean you'd have to live cheaply or with a roommate or something. It's best to play around with the numbers given where you're considering living.

Also keep in mind the budget is only calculated based on the nine months during the school year. So summer is not counted.

future!jd12

Postby future!jd12 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:37 pm

What is the success rate with students being admitted off the wait list? I'm trying to determine if it is worth it to pursue it or if I should just withdraw. I would go to Chicago if admitted, but am perfectly content to go to Cornell with $.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:00 pm

I think it's very much dependent on yield and probably varies year to year. If memory serves there wasn't much movement last year. But I would double check the wait list threads from the last couple years to confirm that. I don't know why you would withdraw either way though.

skers

Postby skers » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:24 pm

Yeah, no real reason to withdraw or anything, but at the same time I don't really know what kind of $$ you'd get off the WL so it's probably not a good option in any case.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:41 pm

skers wrote:Yeah, no real reason to withdraw or anything, but at the same time I don't really know what kind of $$ you'd get off the WL so it's probably not a good option in any case.

Someone got a Cafaro off the WL a couple years ago, so you never know.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”