UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby 2014 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:13 am

My opinion from last year: applies to LA too

Your UG + WE + Hobbies + ECs + Ties + Law School + Grades + Interviewing skills + Intangibles are all relevant when you step into that interview room and you can straight up fail one or more of those categories and still be fine if you make up for it in the others. I saw plenty of classmates have weaknesses in one or more of those areas and do fine because they sold the other ones well.

TLS is too fixated on ties being a binary Y/N

soexcited

Postby soexcited » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:22 pm

Hi all! Current 0L here with a couple of questions:

1. On a practical level, what does the focus on law & econ really mean for most students? Are the classes somehow different? Is the selection of classes offered different than it otherwise might be? Does law & econ have a more corporate feel, or a more academic one?

2. Does anyone know anyone who has participated in the International Human Rights Clinic? If so, what were their experiences? What kind of work is actually available? Are there opportunities for travel?

Thanks!

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:36 pm

soexcited wrote:Hi all! Current 0L here with a couple of questions:

1. On a practical level, what does the focus on law & econ really mean for most students? Are the classes somehow different? Is the selection of classes offered different than it otherwise might be? Does law & econ have a more corporate feel, or a more academic one?

Definitely academic. Some of the most gung-ho law and econ profs are also some of the least concerned with the practical details of day to day life. Overall, the focus on law & econ just means you spend less time with black letter law.

(e.g. http://chicagounbound.uchicago.edu/cgi/ ... l_articles)
Last edited by UnicornHunter on Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skers

Postby skers » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:39 pm

2. Does anyone know anyone who has participated in the International Human Rights Clinic? If so, what were their experiences? What kind of work is actually available? Are there opportunities for travel?

Thanks!

It only has a real effect on how you learn torts, unless you decide to go deeper down that rabbit hole. Oh, I guess there's also the plus side that pretty much every question you get asked in law school can be answered w/ transaction costs.

UofCforme

Postby UofCforme » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:12 pm

Thanks!

I'm a 1L with good friends that are 1Ls at other schools that I have talked to about this. It's all pretty much the same except for torts. Torts (assuming that you have either Levmore or Henderson) is damn near a totally different subject entirely when compared to torts at other schools from what I can tell.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:29 pm

Any tips or suggestions for ASW?

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:33 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Any tips or suggestions for ASW?

Go out, have fun, make friends, ask upperclassmen lots of questions. Don't tell everyone you have a Ruby.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:35 pm

WheninLaw wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:Any tips or suggestions for ASW?

Go out, have fun, make friends, ask upperclassmen lots of questions. Don't tell everyone you have a Ruby.

I thought that was the go to pickup line

middlebear

Postby middlebear » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:37 pm

Can anyone speak to the career office's support/helpfulness for those on a non-BigLaw track? (Gov't/PI?)

Postby 2014 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:52 am

There's a dedicated CSO person for PI things, a separate list-serv, and weekly emails to remind of deadlines. Like the rest of CSO it's very much a situation where they are as good of a resource as you make them. I think she's been pretty helpful to all of my PI gunner friends and since only like 10 of your classmates will do PI you can get a lot of individual catered feedback if you wish.

everything_bagel

Postby everything_bagel » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:29 am

middlebear wrote:Can anyone speak to the career office's support/helpfulness for those on a non-BigLaw track? (Gov't/PI?)

0L here but I've talked to a couple of PI folks who are obsessed with her.

UofCforme

Postby UofCforme » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:38 pm

Just curious, anybody ever walk out of an exam thinking they bombed it and then wind up with a median or above grade? Torts was rough today.

middlebear

Postby middlebear » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:40 pm

everything_bagel wrote:
middlebear wrote:Can anyone speak to the career office's support/helpfulness for those on a non-BigLaw track? (Gov't/PI?)

0L here but I've talked to a couple of PI folks who are obsessed with her.

Danke, fellow 0L. :)

skers

Postby skers » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:52 pm

UofCforme wrote:Just curious, anybody ever walk out of an exam thinking they bombed it and then wind up with a median or above grade? Torts was rough today.

Definitely, especially if you're talking about a Levmore exam.

UofCforme

Postby UofCforme » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:56 pm

skers wrote:
UofCforme wrote:Just curious, anybody ever walk out of an exam thinking they bombed it and then wind up with a median or above grade? Torts was rough today.

Definitely, especially if you're talking about a Levmore exam.

Yep. Levmore. His exam was totally nuts.

Anyways, thanks. This makes me feel better.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:07 pm

Go in peace, young 1L, for many people feel as equally shitty as you.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:10 pm

Both Levmore and Henderson torts last year were insane. Don't sweat it. There's really no way to tell how you did on an exam. I gave up trying to gauge it after winter quarter last year.

skers

Postby skers » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:29 pm

elterrible78 wrote:

Both Levmore and Henderson torts last year were insane. Don't sweat it. There's really no way to tell how you did on an exam. I gave up trying to gauge it after winter quarter last year.

yeah, dude. Any thinking about it at this point is wasted effort since pretty much everyone will think they failed, it's impossible to retrace your steps and figured out how you might have done, it's already done so nothing you can do now, and it's curved any way. Drink some beers, watch some netflix (or college hoops), and get back on the grind for the next exam later.

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:03 am

If it helps, I had multiple OCI interviews in which the interviewer crossed out my torts grade (and elements).

PariSiamo

Postby PariSiamo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:02 pm

How many 1Ls (roughly) land SAs in Chicago? Is there any particular strategy for doing it?

UofCforme

Postby UofCforme » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:32 pm

PariSiamo wrote:How many 1Ls (roughly) land SAs in Chicago? Is there any particular strategy for doing it?

There are a few this year, but we are talking about like less than 10 people here even though 60%+ of the class applied. Don't expect it to work out unless you are URM and even then it is far from being a lock. Most of the programs are specifically for diversity candidates.

The only real strategy here is to do really, really well on Elements and Civ Pro in the fall. That's about it.

PariSiamo

Postby PariSiamo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:53 pm

Yikes, that's worse than I was expecting.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:55 pm

PariSiamo wrote:Yikes, that's worse than I was expecting.

You shouldn't expect to get a 1L sa no matter what school you attend, especially if you're non urm.

PariSiamo

Postby PariSiamo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:58 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
PariSiamo wrote:Yikes, that's worse than I was expecting.

You shouldn't expect to get a 1L sa no matter what school you attend, especially if you're non urm.

That's fair but it's <10 people specifically for Chicago SAs, right?

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:04 pm

Whoops misread. SAs in Chicago is a small number. When only 10-20% of the entire class gets a 1L SA anywhere, I don't know why you would be expecting there to be more than that in the city of Chicago. You should adjust your expectations accordingly and probably just not think about this until you already have first semester/first quarter grades.

ETA: Just counted. For the class of 2016 13 people had 1L SAs in Chicago.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”