UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Ghost

Re: UChi 1Ls - 2 Quarters Down (!!) & Taking Questions

Postby Ghost » Wed May 04, 2011 6:12 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Wed May 04, 2011 7:14 pm

Ghost wrote:Is the school Mac friendly? Does exam software affect this?

I would say most of our students use Macs. We don't use exam software. Exams are typed up on Microsoft Word then uploaded to the school's website.

hotthaichick

Postby hotthaichick » Thu May 05, 2011 2:45 am

I'm visiting U Chicago for the first time on Friday in an impromptu visit as I was just admitted off the waitlist today! What should I do to get the most out of my experience?? Thanks for your help!

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu May 05, 2011 9:47 am

hotthaichick wrote:I'm visiting U Chicago for the first time on Friday in an impromptu visit as I was just admitted off the waitlist today! What should I do to get the most out of my experience?? Thanks for your help!

I'd say "come to wine mess" but I think it is canceled because we have prom tomorrow.

The official Monday and Friday tours are over, but I am sure if you contact Dean Perry she'll be able to put you in touch with someone who can show you around over lunch.

None of my Friday classes are necessarily the most exciting to sit in on, but I'd definitely sit in on a class of some description. Dean Perry can point you in the right direction with that as well.

hotthaichick

Postby hotthaichick » Thu May 05, 2011 11:58 am

So I emailed Dean Perry about people to maybe show me around and she hasn't gotten back to me...

Do you guys know of anyone who could show me around and talk to me about the school? I would love to talk to at least one current student while I'm visiting. It wouldn't even have to be over lunch. I could meet at any time tomorrow outside of 10:20-12 (property) or 1:30-3:10 (labor law). This is so last minute and crazy!

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu May 05, 2011 8:16 pm

hotthaichick wrote:So I emailed Dean Perry about people to maybe show me around and she hasn't gotten back to me...

Do you guys know of anyone who could show me around and talk to me about the school? I would love to talk to at least one current student while I'm visiting. It wouldn't even have to be over lunch. I could meet at any time tomorrow outside of 10:20-12 (property) or 1:30-3:10 (labor law). This is so last minute and crazy!

PMing you.

cranberry

Postby cranberry » Sun May 08, 2011 4:39 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Do you know if Martha Nussbuam teaches any law courses? If so, have you or any of your friends taken any of her courses? I've done a lot of work with her capabilities theory in undergrad and it would be amazing to sit in on lectures if given the option

i'm in her feminist philosophy class this quarter and there are philosophy students/fans/groupies who aren't enrolled but audit or come to listen for the day. she made the auditing students sit in the back, but i'd say there are always 3-6+ visitors sitting in on her lectures.

i have so much reading to do for that class this week :cry:

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun May 08, 2011 10:34 pm

Is there free printing at the law school? I think the student I talked to mentioned you could print Lexis/Westlaw stuff for free, but what about other printing?

ellewoods110

Postby ellewoods110 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:09 am

Dany wrote:Is there free printing at the law school? I think the student I talked to mentioned you could print Lexis/Westlaw stuff for free, but what about other printing?

In addition to free Lexis/Westlaw printing, you get $60.00 in printing credit for the year. I think each print costs 5 cents, so this lasts forever. I print all my class notes, my outlines at every stage of revision, and pretty much whatever else I want, and I still have more than $20 at this point. So essentially yes, you get free printing.

For what its worth, Regents also has free printing down in its "Conference Center" ... sometimes the printers are not working though, so its not something you can completely rely on, but it is helpful (particularly if you get Dixon for Elements).

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon May 09, 2011 12:50 pm

Great - thanks!

soupisgood

Postby soupisgood » Thu May 12, 2011 3:03 am

Hi! To the past/current Regents residents:

I just got an e-mail from someone in Regents offering me a 1-BR on a floor in the mid-20's, in the North Tower. As tempted as I was to just say yes on the spot (lake view :!:), I was curious...

Can anyone give me a little input on the North tower, and what the floors in the mid-20's are like (maybe in terms of wind/heat)? I know that higher floors tend to be hotter than the lower ones, and I remember reading somewhere that the highest RP floors tend to hear a lot of annoying whistling on really windy nights.

Thanks!

ellewoods110

Postby ellewoods110 » Thu May 12, 2011 8:33 am

soupisgood wrote:Hi! To the past/current Regents residents:

I just got an e-mail from someone in Regents offering me a 1-BR on a floor in the mid-20's, in the North Tower. As tempted as I was to just say yes on the spot (lake view :!:), I was curious...

Can anyone give me a little input on the North tower, and what the floors in the mid-20's are like (maybe in terms of wind/heat)? I know that higher floors tend to be hotter than the lower ones, and I remember reading somewhere that the highest RP floors tend to hear a lot of annoying whistling on really windy nights.

Thanks!

I live in the high 20's in the North Tower. I love it. I face North, and I have my windows open (the little bit they do open) on almost an everyday basis. If the wind is coming out of the North though, I do usually have to close them because its just too strong, but that happens pretty rarely. If you face South in the North Tower, be prepared to be hot until the air conditioning comes on in the spring, and a little bit in September when it is off, because the sun just bakes those windows.

As for the whistling, I do hear it, but it has to be REALLY windy, and the whole building hears it (and any high rise would have the same issue). It's not bad, and the view certainly makes up for it. My apartment only feels hot when we have days like today where its 85 degrees, but the air conditioning isn't on yet. Other than that my apartment has never felt hot.

I love my apartment, for what its worth.

soupisgood

Postby soupisgood » Thu May 12, 2011 10:18 am

I think the unit is on the S side.... just how hot does that side get?? :shock:

alphamoose

Postby alphamoose » Thu May 12, 2011 10:42 am

Last edited by alphamoose on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ellewoods110

Postby ellewoods110 » Thu May 12, 2011 12:02 pm

alphamoose wrote:
ellewoods110 wrote:
soupisgood wrote:Hi! To the past/current Regents residents:

Thanks!

I live in the high 20's in the North Tower. I love it. I face North, and I have my windows open (the little bit they do open) on almost an everyday basis. If the wind is coming out of the North though, I do usually have to close them because its just too strong, but that happens pretty rarely. If you face South in the North Tower, be prepared to be hot until the air conditioning comes on in the spring, and a little bit in September when it is off, because the sun just bakes those windows.

As for the whistling, I do hear it, but it has to be REALLY windy, and the whole building hears it (and any high rise would have the same issue). It's not bad, and the view certainly makes up for it. My apartment only feels hot when we have days like today where its 85 degrees, but the air conditioning isn't on yet. Other than that my apartment has never felt hot.

I love my apartment, for what its worth.

You can't control your own temperature at Regents? :shock:

You can... but the system Regents has can only have heat OR air at one time, you can't switch between them, and they are required by law to provide heat from September 1st - June 1st. So there are days in May and September where you curse the system, but other than that its ok.

On those days in september and may where its really hot, the apartments that face south cook all day in the sun, and because the air isn't on, it gets pretty toasty. closing the blinds and running fans helps. In the end its only a handful of days, so its not too bad.

alphamoose

Postby alphamoose » Thu May 12, 2011 2:05 pm

Last edited by alphamoose on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pehaigllleises

Postby pehaigllleises » Fri May 13, 2011 12:18 pm

It varies from year to year, and a lot probably depends on your own internal set temperature. I like it cold, and I'm in a south-facing apartment. If I could do it over again, I would take any floor plan, no matter how much less I like it, facing north rather than south. My 1L year wasn't bad, but in September and October of 2010 it was not just hot as balls but hotter than balls. So freaking hot. No amount of running a fan and putting the blinds down all day would help. I had a hard time sleeping for a few weeks and contemplated trying to sleep at school. You drip sweat just sitting there. It's been hot (but thankfully less unbearably so) in here this week, too, and I'm looking forward to this weekend when the temperature is supposed to drop. Hopefully next year is colder.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri May 13, 2011 5:24 pm

Oh my.

soupisgood

Postby soupisgood » Fri May 13, 2011 7:57 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:It varies from year to year, and a lot probably depends on your own internal set temperature. I like it cold, and I'm in a south-facing apartment. If I could do it over again, I would take any floor plan, no matter how much less I like it, facing north rather than south. My 1L year wasn't bad, but in September and October of 2010 it was not just hot as balls but hotter than balls. So freaking hot. No amount of running a fan and putting the blinds down all day would help. I had a hard time sleeping for a few weeks and contemplated trying to sleep at school. You drip sweat just sitting there. It's been hot (but thankfully less unbearably so) in here this week, too, and I'm looking forward to this weekend when the temperature is supposed to drop. Hopefully next year is colder.

:shock:

Ok, definitely sending an e-mail to Regents asking for a unit facing south. Thanks!

ETA: Just to clarify, south-facing apartment = facing the South Tower, yes??

ellewoods110

Postby ellewoods110 » Fri May 13, 2011 11:16 pm

soupisgood wrote:
pehaigllleises wrote:It varies from year to year, and a lot probably depends on your own internal set temperature. I like it cold, and I'm in a south-facing apartment. If I could do it over again, I would take any floor plan, no matter how much less I like it, facing north rather than south. My 1L year wasn't bad, but in September and October of 2010 it was not just hot as balls but hotter than balls. So freaking hot. No amount of running a fan and putting the blinds down all day would help. I had a hard time sleeping for a few weeks and contemplated trying to sleep at school. You drip sweat just sitting there. It's been hot (but thankfully less unbearably so) in here this week, too, and I'm looking forward to this weekend when the temperature is supposed to drop. Hopefully next year is colder.

Ok, definitely sending an e-mail to Regents asking for a unit facing south. Thanks!

We are all telling you that facing NORTH is better.... unless you want to be "hotter than balls"
but yes, South means you face the south tower.

soupisgood

Postby soupisgood » Sat May 14, 2011 12:16 am

ellewoods110 wrote:
soupisgood wrote:

We are all telling you that facing NORTH is better.... unless you want to be "hotter than balls"
but yes, South means you face the south tower.

Crap... typing fail :oops:

Thanks though, I'll shoot that e-mail to Regents now!

soupisgood

Postby soupisgood » Sun May 15, 2011 4:30 am

Sorry guys, one more question about Regents...

All the walls are white + the carpets are beige, yes?

I think I'll have to buy a good chunk of my furniture online, before I get a chance to see my unit, so I'm just trying to get a feel for what I should be looking for/buying (at least, that's what I'm telling myself, as I add a ton of random furniture pieces to my shopping cart online).

The floor plan pictures on the RP website seem to have randomly colored walls in the bedrooms, but I assume those are just for modeling/photographing purposes?

Thanks in advance! :)

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Sun May 15, 2011 12:53 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ellewoods110

Postby ellewoods110 » Sun May 15, 2011 3:13 pm

soupisgood wrote:Sorry guys, one more question about Regents...

All the walls are white + the carpets are beige, yes?

I think I'll have to buy a good chunk of my furniture online, before I get a chance to see my unit, so I'm just trying to get a feel for what I should be looking for/buying (at least, that's what I'm telling myself, as I add a ton of random furniture pieces to my shopping cart online).

The floor plan pictures on the RP website seem to have randomly colored walls in the bedrooms, but I assume those are just for modeling/photographing purposes?

Thanks in advance! :)

the carpet is beige and the walls are white, yes. I painted some of the walls in my apartment, which you can do. You have to get permission, and be prepared to paint it white again when you leave, so I would only do it if you plan to live in Regents for awhile and don't mind painting.

ellewoods110

Postby ellewoods110 » Sun May 15, 2011 3:14 pm

Ghost wrote:Which classes do we take first quarter?

You don't find out until like, a week before orientation. This year we had Civ Pro 1, Contracts, Criminal Law, and Elements of the Law, plus LRW, but it changes so don't count on that being the case.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”