UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
elterrible78

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby elterrible78 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:18 pm

Wahrheit wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:
Wahrheit wrote:PM'd

Thanks. TL;DR for everyone else who might be interested:

Old guys we have never met fight about Guantanamo.

Okay, but the bit about the bible and the shotgun was particularly good.

Whatever blows your skirt up, man. I do appreciate you taking the time to PM the screenshots, though.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:26 pm

bearsfan23 wrote:
saraea wrote:
IPmaybe wrote:Another question! How easy is it to take the business courses opened to all law students from the Doctoroff program (i.e., do they fill up quickly)? I'm really interested in gaining experience in the area, but I really don't know if I'm so totally dedicated to it that I'd try to participate in the Doctoroff program.

Thanks for any insight people have about the pros/cons of the program.

I'm a former student, and it's pretty easy BUT there are certain classes that require prerequisites so pay attention. I sat through 2 weeks of a B school class before deciding I didn't have enough background to take the class. That said, they're totally worthwhile, and the downtown campus is beautiful.

We have a downtown campus? I had no idea I thought all the B-School stuff was in Hyde Park. Where in the city is it?

the gleacher center. Most of the night classes are there. The doctoroff cross-listed classes taught at the law school shouldnt be too hard to get into. Regular booth classes at the bschool can be difficult to get and can mess up your schedule, meaning you may have to sacrifice your fridays or saturdays

There are several interesting, easy booth courses that have no prereqs as well.

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:47 am

I for one would attend a lunch talk debate featuring those two. 10 keystone points in internet justice.

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:38 am

I'm trying to decide between American Legal History: The 20th Century with Weinrib and Comparative Legal Institutions with Ginsburg for my 1L elective. Any thoughts?

skers

Postby skers » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:48 am

Ginsburg is chill as fuck.

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:31 pm

skers wrote:Ginsburg is chill as fuck.

He really is. Also, CLI has zero law reading; instead, you'll get to read about Illini Indians and Confuscious.

bearsfan23

Postby bearsfan23 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:49 pm

Weinrib is pretty great as well. I've never had Ginsburg but I'd definitely recommend anything Weinrib teaches

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:17 am

applelover wrote:I'm trying to decide between American Legal History: The 20th Century with Weinrib and Comparative Legal Institutions with Ginsburg for my 1L elective. Any thoughts?

Took Weinrib's class during 1L. She basically just lectures during the whole class, so depending on what you're looking for, that could be hit or miss. I personally really enjoyed it because I thought it was actually one of my most useful 1L classes in terms of just teaching you the culture/history that I feel like I should know as a lawyer. Also it felt more like a UG class and less like a law class so that was nice.

applelover

Postby applelover » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:37 pm

Thanks for the input everyone!

DetectiveStabler

Postby DetectiveStabler » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:41 pm

Do any of you have suggestions about supplements for contracts (Baird/Posner) or torts (Henderson/Henderson)?

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:17 pm

DetectiveStabler wrote:Do any of you have suggestions about supplements for contracts (Baird/Posner) or torts (Henderson/Henderson)?

I would not use a supplement for any of those. Maybe Posner because his exam is so BLL (no law & econ stuff, as opposed to class), but what you have is more than sufficient.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:27 pm

DetectiveStabler wrote:Do any of you have suggestions about supplements for contracts (Baird/Posner) or torts (Henderson/Henderson)?

Posner wrote his own contracts supplement, you should absolutely find and use that.

The E&E will be somewhat helpful for torts but your notes and past outlines will be much more useful.

PariSiamo

Postby PariSiamo » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:15 pm

Do you guys recommend the 0L summer course?

Canof09

Postby Canof09 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:47 am

PariSiamo wrote:Do you guys recommend the 0L summer course?

These courses are pretty useless in general, but even more so here since Chicago teaches many of the 1L doctrinal courses very differently than at other schools. Don't waste your time.

If you want to do something before 1L that will actually be helpful I would recommend getting really damn good at typing and consider reading "Getting to Maybe" or another similar book. Short of those two things I would recommend just chilling out and enjoying the calm before the storm as much as possible. Our orientation takes close to a month (not joking) so you will learn everything you need to know and more before day one of class.

Postby 2014 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:04 am

PariSiamo wrote:Do you guys recommend the 0L summer course?

No one in my class who did it made LR therefore it is useless.

Kidding but it's probably not worth it unless it is in a city you already live in and you otherwise would be doing literally nothing. You can always register and just leave if it feels like a waste of time.

PariSiamo

Postby PariSiamo » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:29 am

Thanks! On the topic of LR, it seems like it's open to everyone through the topic access program- is that true? And if so, what's the advantage of writing on?

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:33 am

badaboom61 wrote:

Posner wrote his own contracts supplement, you should absolutely find and use that.

The E&E will be somewhat helpful for torts but your notes and past outlines will be much more useful.

This is wrong. Posners supplement is very law & Econ, precisely the opposite of what he wants and expects on the exam. Doing his style of damages analysis is a quick route to median/below.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:35 am

PariSiamo wrote:Thanks! On the topic of LR, it seems like it's open to everyone through the topic access program- is that true?

Yeah, anyone can write onto the journal by writing a publishable comment (short article). But that is easier said than done. Maybe one or two people manage it a year. Other folks pour time and energy into a comment that doesn't get them anywhere. And iirc, the comment can't be a paper from another class.

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:37 am

PariSiamo wrote:Thanks! On the topic of LR, it seems like it's open to everyone through the topic access program- is that true? And if so, what's the advantage of writing on?

Current LR board member. TA is open to all, but very very hard to do and we make you jump through a million annoying hoops. Moreover, I tend to think TA shores up some of the diversity issues we face.

Benefits are much less than getting on initially since OCI is over. Will help for Clerkships and give you that sense of much needed prestige.

PariSiamo

Postby PariSiamo » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:53 pm

Appreciate it guys!

saraea

Postby saraea » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:07 pm

applelover wrote:I'm trying to decide between American Legal History: The 20th Century with Weinrib and Comparative Legal Institutions with Ginsburg for my 1L elective. Any thoughts?

FWIW, I took American Legal History with a different prof and I also took a seminar on a different time period and loved both classes. Learning history is a really nice refresher, there wasn't much economics inserted in the courses I took.

saraea

Postby saraea » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:42 pm

Just a general note to current U of C students: I graduated a couple years ago and if you have any questions or need outlines, please feel free to PM me. I am nothing if not candid.

Professors I had (I probably missed some):

Abebe (Foreign Relations Law - LOVED this course!)
Ben-Shahar (Contracts - love him so much, I remembered his voice while studying for the Bar)
Buss (Civ Pro I)
Case (Con Law V, Regulating Sex & Gender Workshop)
Tony Casey (Business Associations)
Richard Epstein (Torts)
Helmholz (Property)
Heyrman (Mental Health)
Hutchinson (American Law and the Rhetoric of Race)
LaCroix (Con Law I, American Legal History - love her)
Landes (Trademarks - highly entertaining, all he does is talk about canine hip dysplasia, Debbie Does Dallas, and expensive suits)
Levmore (Copyright)
McAdams (Crim)
Picker (Antitrust)
Siegler (Federal Criminal Procedure - awesome professor, good class)
Strahilevitz (Privacy - the nicest professor ever)
Strauss (Con Law II)
Widmeier (Advanced Trademarks)
Wood (Civ Pro II)

lawlschool1l

Postby lawlschool1l » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:32 am

WheninLaw wrote:
badaboom61 wrote:

This is wrong. Posners supplement is very law & Econ, precisely the opposite of what he wants and expects on the exam. Doing his style of damages analysis is a quick route to median/below.

Are there some other supplements you'd recommend for Posner? Or should I not bother?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:02 am

lawlschool1l wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
badaboom61 wrote:

Are there some other supplements you'd recommend for Posner? Or should I not bother?

Chirelstein is great to help you get the big picture. Farnsworth is great for details about specific doctrines.

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:24 pm

As usual, Emma is right.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”