UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
beepboopbeep

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:12 pm

Canof09 wrote:
wsag826 wrote:Thanks for the heads up. I guess I should've said that I want to do political law so DC is really the market for me, but I don't know if that makes a difference.

I really want to do a federal clerkship immediately after law school, and then go to a DC firm, which is one of the reasons I would pick Chicago over UVA. I've read that UVA has great placement, but I've also heard that their clerkship #s are boosted because of the number of students matched to conservative judges (and I'm not conservative). Chicago seems to have excellent clerkship placement. Of course, because clerkships are so hard to get, I wanted to gauge how yall feel about DC placement. If the clerkship thing doesn't work out, I would have no problem staying in Chicago or doing NYC.

But all of this sounds very encouraging! Just excited to have these choices to begin with.

Don't assume the "conservative boost" thing isn't true here as well. A ridiculous proportion of the "conservative" students here have clerkships lined up.

Yea, I was just going to say that. I mean other people definitely get them too, and get them in good places. But FedSoc has a big pipeline running through here.

middlebear

Postby middlebear » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:53 pm

Random q: for ASW, do most admits stay with current students? On the one hand - not paying for a hotel, on the other - sounds really awkward. Or maybe that's just me.

Postby 2014 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:57 pm

middlebear wrote:Random q: for ASW, do most admits stay with current students? On the one hand - not paying for a hotel, on the other - sounds really awkward. Or maybe that's just me.

It's like 50/50 and not that awkward. Most students have roommates and/or host multiple admits so there's plenty of built in social outlets. Plus students opt-in to hosting so you would think the most awkward of us would go ahead and keep our names out of the ring. I'd strongly suggest it, hotel isn't worth the money imo.

middlebear

Postby middlebear » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:58 pm

2014 wrote:
middlebear wrote:Random q: for ASW, do most admits stay with current students? On the one hand - not paying for a hotel, on the other - sounds really awkward. Or maybe that's just me.

It's like 50/50 and not that awkward. Most students have roommates and/or host multiple admits so there's plenty of built in social outlets. Plus students opt-in to hosting so you would think the most awkward of us would go ahead and keep our names out of the ring. I'd strongly suggest it, hotel isn't worth the money imo.

Thanks for the info :)

Canof09

Postby Canof09 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:01 pm

middlebear wrote:
2014 wrote:

Thanks for the info :)

100% stay with a student. I promise that you will have a better time. Also it's free.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:15 am

Supplement rec Prof S's property class?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:46 am

lawschool2014hopeful wrote:Supplement rec Prof S's property class?

Probably just Sprankling's Understanding Property Law. But try To write in full sentences on the exam. Strahi liked that.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:52 am

Emma. wrote:

Probably just Sprankling's Understanding Property Law. But try To write in full sentences on the exam. Strahi liked that.

Great, thanks.

Sorry, after reading rules against perpetuities, brain is a bit fried.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:24 am

Emma. wrote:

Seriously though. I lost a solid 5+ points for having typos and shit on an exam where the highest raw score was like... 89/110 or something, I think? Including a typo in the first word. Other classes, don't worry about that stuff. For S, reserve a good 5m at the end just for proofreading. Take that shit seriously.

wsag826

Postby wsag826 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:09 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
Canof09 wrote:
wsag826 wrote:Thanks for the heads up. I guess I should've said that I want to do political law so DC is really the market for me, but I don't know if that makes a difference.

I really want to do a federal clerkship immediately after law school, and then go to a DC firm, which is one of the reasons I would pick Chicago over UVA. I've read that UVA has great placement, but I've also heard that their clerkship #s are boosted because of the number of students matched to conservative judges (and I'm not conservative). Chicago seems to have excellent clerkship placement. Of course, because clerkships are so hard to get, I wanted to gauge how yall feel about DC placement. If the clerkship thing doesn't work out, I would have no problem staying in Chicago or doing NYC.

But all of this sounds very encouraging! Just excited to have these choices to begin with.

Don't assume the "conservative boost" thing isn't true here as well. A ridiculous proportion of the "conservative" students here have clerkships lined up.

Yea, I was just going to say that. I mean other people definitely get them too, and get them in good places. But FedSoc has a big pipeline running through here.

Thanks to both of you. That definitely makes sense. I suppose I didn't really mean to say "conservative boost" but more so meant excluding clerkships with more ideologically conservative judges because I am not ideologically conservative.

One more Q for anyone willing to answer: do any of the "top" DC firms not recruit from Chicago? Or, for any of you who have gone through the OCI process and bid DC firms, do you feel like DC firms didn't take your applications/interviews as seriously because you were coming from Chicago and not a more regional school where they recruit heavily and/or east coast T14? Don't mean this in a negative way...just trying to cover all of my bases as I begin to make a very difficult decision.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:44 pm

wsag826 wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
Canof09 wrote:

Thanks to both of you. That definitely makes sense. I suppose I didn't really mean to say "conservative boost" but more so meant excluding clerkships with more ideologically conservative judges because I am not ideologically conservative.

One more Q for anyone willing to answer: do any of the "top" DC firms not recruit from Chicago? Or, for any of you who have gone through the OCI process and bid DC firms, do you feel like DC firms didn't take your applications/interviews as seriously because you were coming from Chicago and not a more regional school where they recruit heavily and/or east coast T14? Don't mean this in a negative way...just trying to cover all of my bases as I begin to make a very difficult decision.

Not to just keep answering these and saying the same thing, but no. The top ones definitely come here and give people serious looks. Some niche places don't -- Wiley Rein comes to mind -- but even then you get the Axinns and Ivins and HWGs of the world coming to OCI (though I think Ivins cancelled last year, because basically no one signed up?). I'm not sure what the callback rate for some smaller DC offices were, or even for some places like Crowell & Moring where I didn't hear of a lot of other people getting CBs - it may be that because of our later OCI and/or geographic distance, they don't have as many callback slots for us. That's certainly possible. It didn't feel like they weren't taking applications seriously so much as: a lot of the people targeting DC had super impressive credentials, so standing out was an uphill battle, and there just were not a ton of callbacks available overall.

Feel free to pm - targeted DC primarily at last year's OCI, will be spending half my 2L summer there.

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:58 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

UChicago2017

Postby UChicago2017 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:34 pm

edit

IPmaybe

Postby IPmaybe » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:10 pm

Another question! How easy is it to take the business courses opened to all law students from the Doctoroff program (i.e., do they fill up quickly)? I'm really interested in gaining experience in the area, but I really don't know if I'm so totally dedicated to it that I'd try to participate in the Doctoroff program.

Thanks for any insight people have about the pros/cons of the program.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:31 am

Wahrheit wrote:How frequent are the fights in the linkedin group like the one I keep getting emails about?

We have a linkedin group?

FlamingDragon

Postby FlamingDragon » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:30 am

RodneyRuxin wrote:
Wahrheit wrote:How frequent are the fights in the linkedin group like the one I keep getting emails about?

We have a linkedin group?

The best fights are always on certain students who will not be named's facebook pages.

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:09 am

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

saraea

Postby saraea » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:51 pm

IPmaybe wrote:Another question! How easy is it to take the business courses opened to all law students from the Doctoroff program (i.e., do they fill up quickly)? I'm really interested in gaining experience in the area, but I really don't know if I'm so totally dedicated to it that I'd try to participate in the Doctoroff program.

I'm a former student, and it's pretty easy BUT there are certain classes that require prerequisites so pay attention. I sat through 2 weeks of a B school class before deciding I didn't have enough background to take the class. That said, they're totally worthwhile, and the downtown campus is beautiful.

Postby 2014 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:45 pm

Someone TLDR me the linkedin fight drama, I feel left out. Will accept PMs if you want to keep it on the DL.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:54 pm

2014 wrote:Someone TLDR me the linkedin fight drama, I feel left out. Will accept PMs if you want to keep it on the DL.

Pretty curious about this too.

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:39 pm

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:39 pm

Wahrheit wrote:PM'd

me2

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:58 pm

Wahrheit wrote:PM'd

Thanks. TL;DR for everyone else who might be interested:

Old guys we have never met fight about Guantanamo.

bearsfan23

Postby bearsfan23 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:59 pm

saraea wrote:
IPmaybe wrote:Another question! How easy is it to take the business courses opened to all law students from the Doctoroff program (i.e., do they fill up quickly)? I'm really interested in gaining experience in the area, but I really don't know if I'm so totally dedicated to it that I'd try to participate in the Doctoroff program.

I'm a former student, and it's pretty easy BUT there are certain classes that require prerequisites so pay attention. I sat through 2 weeks of a B school class before deciding I didn't have enough background to take the class. That said, they're totally worthwhile, and the downtown campus is beautiful.

We have a downtown campus? I had no idea I thought all the B-School stuff was in Hyde Park. Where in the city is it?

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:59 pm

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”