UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Manhattan

New

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Post by Manhattan » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:52 am

Man... The course offering for next quarter kind of sucks. It is going to be very difficult to both takes classes that don't suck and only have class 3 days a week.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:09 am

who the hell are you.

c0llegeStUd3nt

New

Post by c0llegeStUd3nt » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:24 pm

1L here. I haven't started outlining AT ALL. People seem to be bragging on fb (lol) about how they are starting though.

Anyone have advice on when to start?

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:28 pm

c0llegeStUd3nt wrote:1L here. I haven't started outlining AT ALL. People seem to be bragging on fb (lol) about how they are starting though.

Bragging about outlining on FB is fucking asinine. But you may as well get started now. Sooner you start, the sooner you'll be done.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:09 pm

What are the best ethics courses to take?

Next quarter there is:

Ethical quandaries in legal practice with Alesia and fairley

Professional responsibility in the real world with Harmon Clark and Sweeney

Law and ethics of lawyering with Remington

The evals seem mixed

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Robb

Bronze

Post by Robb » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:14 pm

Rahviveh wrote:What are the best ethics courses to take?

Next quarter there is:

The evals seem mixed
I'd wait until next year and take it with Hoeflich. he has been great

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:16 pm

Rahviveh wrote:What are the best ethics courses to take?

Next quarter there is:

The evals seem mixed
Ethical Quandaries was pretty baller. We had a bunch of guest speakers including the GC for a big corporation and a federal judge. Big class participation component in the grade though.

Manhattan

New

Post by Manhattan » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:44 pm

c0llegeStUd3nt wrote:1L here. I haven't started outlining AT ALL. People seem to be bragging on fb (lol) about how they are starting though.

The people who brag on FB about how much they're studying and make you feel bad about yourself have an exponentially higher chance of not being here when 2L rolls around. Just ignore them and study at your own pace.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:14 am

Now would be a dece time to start but I wouldn't sweat it. My Elements outline was probably like 3 pages lol. Just make sure you're familiar with the FRCP and you'll probably do fine this quarter.

PS: What's the story on prereqs for classes? Are they typically hard prereqs or are they moreso suggestions about what you should know? Is there somebody that should be contacted to ask about waiving them?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:18 am

Also your class is weird.

gchatbrah

Bronze

Post by gchatbrah » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:00 am

Crowing wrote:

Also your class is weird.
+1. Bizarre.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:00 am

I didn't start until early December. Don't sweat it, but know yourself. If you can crank it out, just do that. Once you're past a minimum amount of work the returns on more work are really marginal, and the returns on chilling out are substantial. Just as long as you have a bit of time to take practice tests.

Their class seems more normal than ours tbh but I guess I haven't really interacted with them too much. Just surface observation, though I guess the few I've had anything more than passing interaction with have been odd. Much less active on TLS than our class is / was, which is probably a good thing.

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:51 am

beepboopbeep wrote:I didn't start until early December. Don't sweat it, but know yourself. If you can crank it out, just do that. Once you're past a minimum amount of work the returns on more work are really marginal, and the returns on chilling out are substantial. Just as long as you have a bit of time to take practice tests.
Yep.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:09 pm

Crowing wrote:

Now would be a dece time to start but I wouldn't sweat it. My Elements outline was probably like 3 pages lol. Just make sure you're familiar with the FRCP and you'll probably do fine this quarter.

PS: What's the story on prereqs for classes? Are they typically hard prereqs or are they moreso suggestions about what you should know? Is there somebody that should be contacted to ask about waiving them?
LS "prereqs" are suggestions, and you can ignore them as you wish. The Booth ones matter, and you often need to email the Professor.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:35 pm

I want to grab a second slice of pie and call it lunch, but I feel like that would be an incredibly fat thing to do. Thoughts?

Manhattan

New

Post by Manhattan » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:54 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:I want to grab a second slice of pie and call it lunch, but I feel like that would be an incredibly fat thing to do. Thoughts?
I'm pretty sure that is the normal thing to do. If you are only eating one piece of pie, you're doing something wrong.

lawlschool1l

New

Post by lawlschool1l » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:21 pm

Thanks for the help!
Last edited by lawlschool1l on Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:35 pm

lawlschool1l wrote:Dearest 3Ls that had Stone for elements:

Do you have recommendations on how to approach his final, given that there are only 2 practice exams available?

Also, how bad do commercial outlines tend to be? Aside from making my outline, should i be checking them against commercial outlines or should i be pestering upperclassman for their outlines. Is that considered annoying/rude!?

Thanks for the help!
You obviously can't find a commercial outline for Elements, and most commercial CivPro outlines won't be much help with the way UChicago structures CivPro classes, since commercial outlines will likely focus more on Stuff covered in CivProII. Anyway, more than having some great outline, it's the process of making an outline that helps you prepare for exams. I never found other people's outlines to be that useful, since everyone processes stuff differently. It is nice when you are starting an outline to have old ones to help you think about how you want to structure your own, though. I wouldn't just walk up to random upperclassmen to ask for outlines, but hopefully by now you have a few that you are friendly with (if not, it's time to start meeting folks outside your class!), as well as a big sibling. Asking for help & outlines from people you actually know is absolutely expected and not at all rude. Everyone remembers how stressful 1L can seem, and they should be happy to help you out.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:21 pm

Agreed with all of Emma's thoughts. I didn't use anyone else's outlines, but it was good to look at a few to see the general structure. There's probably stuff on BLSA but feel free to PM if you want any of mine, 1Ls. I have no idea what profs you guys have this year though; obviously no one in the current 2L crop had Stone.

lawschool2014hopeful

Silver

Post by lawschool2014hopeful » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:17 pm

How does one type so much in the elements exams? 2:30 hours and 5 pages (sample answers)? Is that abnormal?

Robb

Bronze

Post by Robb » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:18 pm

lawschool2014hopeful wrote:How does one type so much in the elements exams? 2:30 hours and 5 pages (sample answers)? Is that abnormal?
Do you mean physically? Or how does one come up with so much to respond? If you mean physically, that's about 30wpm (4458 words from copying and pasting into Word) on average, so it's definitely doable. I think for my exams last year I typically came out from 3000-5000 words. McAdams had an approximately 2000 word limit for his half of the exam - so 2000 words in 1.5 hours - and I did not manage to get under the limit. I think I was actually like 400 words over for lack of time to proofread.

If you mean how do you come up with so much to respond, honestly, it fills up faster than you'd think. A lot of people say quality > quantity, but I think quantity is very important in one sense: you need to spot the issues. Quality is important in the sense that you need to spot the right issues (that is, the right issues have to be in there somewhere... I don't think most professor take off for spotting "wrong" issues, but at the very least if you do and then explain them you're wasting your time). I'd say, besides spotting the issues, which is just something you have to do, your two main focuses should be (1) explaining the major arguments on each side of the issue, including their weaknesses, and if applicable rejecting the argument and explaining why the weaknesses overcome the upshots, or, otherwise, stating that the argument will likely prevail, and explaining why the weaknesses don't overcome the upshots and (2) quickly dismissing the minor arguments on each side of the issue. By major arguments, I mean the ones that will carry the day or appear to carry the day or are not easily accepted or dismissed, and by minor arguments I mean those that are not likely to decide the case or are easily dismissed. Even if it's a major argument that will decide the case, if it's a simple one, of course don't spend much time on it. I don't really remember the Rule Against Perpetutities, but that's an example of a place where you're probably not going to have extensive arguments on each side of an issue. Although IIRC there is a new version of it or something that you might want to mention.

Unless it's someone like Strahilevitz who takes off for spelling, the quality of the writing isn't really that important. I think it's generally better to throw out as many plausible arguments as you can and fully explaining them. Organization is great, though, to spoonfeed the professor and clearly identify the issues you're spotting.

Also, re: outlines, you all are going to receive access to a new outline bank later this week, and that will have a bunch of outlines, including at least two for Stone's elements class.

Also -- and this is probably the most useful part of this post -- highly recommend taking beepboopbeep up on his outline offer if you haven't already. Seriously, do it. I am happy to provide mine as well, but they're also in that outline bank you'll be getting access to, and you want his more anyway.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:40 pm

Take practice exams under timed conditions. Compare and contrast with your friends. Then compare against the model answers.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:23 am

0L w/ question. Do you feel that students at UChi are marinated in an intellectual environment more-so than your peers at other t14s? Do ideas matter, or is the experience, like at other schools, just going to class and studying for finals? Surely students can seek out that intellectual law school experience anywhere, but I'm interested to know if it is more pervasive - maybe even the expectation - at UChi. Thx

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:25 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:0L w/ question. Do you feel that students at UChi are marinated in an intellectual environment more-so than your peers at other t14s? Do ideas matter, or is the experience, like at other schools, just going to class and studying for finals? Surely students can seek out that intellectual law school experience anywhere, but I'm interested to know if it is more pervasive - maybe even the expectation - at UChi. Thx
I hope at the end of my time at U Chicago I can look back and say that I've never been marinated in anything.

Snuffles1

New

Post by Snuffles1 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:36 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:0L w/ question. Do you feel that students at UChi are marinated in an intellectual environment more-so than your peers at other t14s? Do ideas matter, or is the experience, like at other schools, just going to class and studying for finals? Surely students can seek out that intellectual law school experience anywhere, but I'm interested to know if it is more pervasive - maybe even the expectation - at UChi. Thx
I hope at the end of my time at U Chicago I can look back and say that I've never been marinated in anything.
Nonsense Mal. One would hope you marinate in something (admittedly something quaffable) on a regular basis.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”