UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sarahlawg

Re: UChi 1Ls - 2 Quarters Down (!!) & Taking Questions

Postby sarahlawg » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:26 pm

Dany wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:As for the questions about cost, I've found that I have waaaay too much loan money. I returned probably ~$5000. I'd guesstimate that their estimates are a bit high.

This is so good to know, thanks!! I've been nervous about living on loans/not having a job for the first time ever.

same, been working nonstop since I was 15. This will be very weird!

Thanks for the info Jolly

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:29 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
JurisDoctorate wrote:Do any of your classes have teaching assistants?

No, we do not.

As for the questions about cost, I've found that I have waaaay too much loan money. I returned probably ~$5000. I'd guesstimate that their estimates are a bit high.

Where do you think they overestimate? 'Cause that's a LOT per month you're not spending :shock:

ellewoods110

Postby ellewoods110 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:04 pm

Xifeng wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:
JurisDoctorate wrote:Do any of your classes have teaching assistants?

No, we do not.

As for the questions about cost, I've found that I have waaaay too much loan money. I returned probably ~$5000. I'd guesstimate that their estimates are a bit high.

Where do you think they overestimate? 'Cause that's a LOT per month you're not spending :shock:

Just as a different perspective... I do not think they give me too much money (I also don't think they give me too little). I seem to have no problem spending all of it each quarter, although I came without any savings and I'm terrible at sticking to a budget. That being said, I do live alone, so I pay a few hundred dollars more a month in rent, I support my two kitties, and I enjoy shopping. I also don't have any real travel expenses, because I'm from the Chicago area originally, but I also don't pay for parking for my car.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:18 pm

bjsesq wrote:EMMA. HOW DID IT GO?

I didn't fail, thanks to you. :mrgreen:

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:20 pm

JurisDoctorate wrote:To any UChicago law students, I have a question - if you'd be so kind!

Do any of your classes have teaching assistants? If so, do you know if they are advanced law students or if they are grad students?

Thanks

No TAs. Our legal writing professors are taught by aspiring professors on a 2 year fellowship program, but that is as close as you would get to a TA. If you have questions or need help with something the professors are incredibly generous with their time, especially around finals.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:03 pm

Emma. wrote:

I'm glad. Tell fancy pants I send my best.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:48 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Emma. wrote:

He did well too. I'll definitely pass it on. You aren't on FB these days?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:54 pm

Emma. wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Emma. wrote:

He did well too. I'll definitely pass it on. You aren't on FB these days?

It was creating..... issues. Best to let it go. I'm thrilled to know things went well for you both.

perspective

Postby perspective » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:22 pm

1) How is the on-campus or school sponsored housing?

2) How are the exercise and law school facilities?

3) How much interaction is there with students from other disciplines (medicine, business, etc)?

4) Is a car necessary or just helpful?

5) If interested in big law, how likely is 1L summer employment in a large firm in Chicago? In NYC? In California?

6) Is there anything else I should know before sending in my deposit?

Thanks for taking questions!

marburger06

Postby marburger06 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:52 pm

perspective wrote:1) How is the on-campus or school sponsored housing?

2) How are the exercise and law school facilities?

3) How much interaction is there with students from other disciplines (medicine, business, etc)?

4) Is a car necessary or just helpful?

5) If interested in big law, how likely is 1L summer employment in a large firm in Chicago? In NYC? In California?

6) Is there anything else I should know before sending in my deposit?

Thanks for taking questions!

1. Varies lots. New grad sucks from what I hear (no kitchens in the rooms). The university apartments range from ultra crappy to kind of nice. You should look at the different buildings before you choose one.
2. Pretty nice.
3. Not much unless you try pretty hard (go to grad mixers, etc)
4. Just helpful, if you live in Hyde Park.
5. Almost 0, unless you are a URM or have connections. Big firms don't hire 1Ls anymore, no matter what school you are from. Some change at smaller firms though.
6. Law school is hard. Make sure it's what you really want to do before you commit.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:45 pm

marburger06 wrote:
1. Varies lots. New grad sucks from what I hear (no kitchens in the rooms). The university apartments range from ultra crappy to kind of nice. You should look at the different buildings before you choose one.
2. Pretty nice.
3. Not much unless you try pretty hard (go to grad mixers, etc)
4. Just helpful, if you live in Hyde Park.
5. Almost 0, unless you are a URM or have connections. Big firms don't hire 1Ls anymore, no matter what school you are from. Some change at smaller firms though.
6. Law school is hard. Make sure it's what you really want to do before you commit.

This is all right on point. Especially #6

There are a few 1L firm jobs if you are a patent law person too, but mostly it is through hookups or diversity hiring.

perspective

Postby perspective » Sun May 01, 2011 2:44 pm

I was looking at the housing around the area.

1) Is housing immediately south of the law school safe?

2) If I were to purchase an apartment immediately south of the law school, would I be able to find roommates willing to live with me?

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Sun May 01, 2011 3:00 pm

perspective wrote:I was looking at the housing around the area.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie ... 33838&z=10

That was 2008 Summer. Notice the shooting begins 2 blocks south.

And its not just gangbangers killing eachother.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sectio ... id=5772157

2) If I were to purchase an apartment immediately south of the law school, would I be able to find roommates willing to live with me?

Yes.

--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by TaipeiMort on Sun May 01, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

perspective

Postby perspective » Sun May 01, 2011 3:09 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:

Yes.

--ImageRemoved--

Wow thanks for the impressive maps. That sucks about the PHD student, but it sounds like the area in general is pretty dangerous. The last paragraph references two other crimes, both of which included guns and both of which happened in the same day.

Is that abnormal? Also, where do the police patrol?

marburger06

Postby marburger06 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:42 pm

perspective wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:

Yes.

--ImageRemoved--

Wow thanks for the impressive maps. That sucks about the PHD student, but it sounds like the area in general is pretty dangerous. The last paragraph references two other crimes, both of which included guns and both of which happened in the same day.

Is that abnormal? Also, where do the police patrol?

The street the law school is on to about 15 blocks north of it is perfectly safe. Lots of police/security/etc, especially since they just opened a new freshman dorm right by the law school last year. However, just two blocks south of the law school becomes quite unsafe. Fortunately, there's absolutely no reason to go there in every day life.

Why are you considering buying an apartment anyway?? Are you really THAT sure you want to stay on the south side for years to come? Doesn't really make sense to buy if you're only sticking around for 3 years max.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Sun May 01, 2011 9:59 pm

Do you know if Martha Nussbuam teaches any law courses? If so, have you or any of your friends taken any of her courses? I've done a lot of work with her capabilities theory in undergrad and it would be amazing to sit in on lectures if given the option

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Sun May 01, 2011 10:02 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Sun May 01, 2011 10:05 pm

Ghost wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Do you know if Martha Nussbuam teaches any law courses? If so, have you or any of your friends taken any of her courses? I've done a lot of work with her capabilities theory in undergrad and it would be amazing to sit in on lectures if given the option

She does. I think there's a 1L elective she occasionally teaches. Anyway you can see that info on the Chi website.

I'm not sure what the cycle is, but every few years she teaches a 1L Spring quarter elective on Feminist Philosophy (lastly in Spring 2010). Other than that, you can go onto the Chicago Law website to see the courses offered or just go to her faculty page. It's pretty easy to google.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Sun May 01, 2011 10:22 pm

Muenchen wrote:
Ghost wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Do you know if Martha Nussbuam teaches any law courses? If so, have you or any of your friends taken any of her courses? I've done a lot of work with her capabilities theory in undergrad and it would be amazing to sit in on lectures if given the option

She does. I think there's a 1L elective she occasionally teaches. Anyway you can see that info on the Chi website.

I'm not sure what the cycle is, but every few years she teaches a 1L Spring quarter elective on Feminist Philosophy (lastly in Spring 2010). Other than that, you can go onto the Chicago Law website to see the courses offered or just go to her faculty page. It's pretty easy to google.

Nussbaum is teaching Feminist Philosophy as a 1L elective this quarter. I don't think she taught it last year (I could be wrong).

And just so everyone understands: 1L electives are taken by 1, 2, and 3Ls together. It's only called a 1L elective because 1Ls are given a specific set of classes they can choose from spring quarter.

Here are the course schedules for the 2010-11 school year if you all are interested in what was offered.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun May 01, 2011 10:25 pm

California Babe wrote:
Muenchen wrote:
Ghost wrote:

Nussbaum is teaching Feminist Philosophy as a 1L elective this quarter. I don't think she taught it last year (I could be wrong).

And just so everyone understands: 1L electives are taken by 1, 2, and 3Ls together. It's only called a 1L elective because 1Ls are given a specific set of classes they can choose from spring quarter.

Here are the course schedules for the 2010-11 school year if you all are interested in what was offered.

How is being in a class and "competing" with 2Ls and 3Ls?

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Sun May 01, 2011 10:27 pm

California Babe wrote:
Muenchen wrote:
Ghost wrote:

I remember it being one of the choices for the 2010 ASW observing classes. I might be misremembering though.

marburger06

Postby marburger06 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:31 pm

Knock wrote: How is being in a class and "competing" with 2Ls and 3Ls?

You're graded on a separate curve. I don't think it's a big deal.

I have taken a class with Nussbaum. I actually thought she was a pretty good teacher. Her personality/persona, though...well.....let's just say you're sure to hear many, many stories about her before you ever have the chance to take a class with her :)

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sun May 01, 2011 10:42 pm

marburger06 wrote:

I asked about this this year and I don't think it is true.

marburger06

Postby marburger06 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:16 am

Emma. wrote:
marburger06 wrote:

You have to be graded on a separate curve from at least the 3Ls - they get their grades long before 1Ls do.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue May 03, 2011 8:18 pm

marburger06 wrote:
Emma. wrote:
marburger06 wrote:

You have to be graded on a separate curve from at least the 3Ls - they get their grades long before 1Ls do.

:cry: I was hoping to be in a class with 3Ls suffering from "senioritis"

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”