UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lawschool2014hopeful
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:48 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:17 pm

After running into some last minute issues with Regent I am thinking of moving into something else, I got offered a pretty nice graduate housing on 60th and Ingleside, a block away from the law school. 6027 S Ingleside Ave to be exact. Every thing looks good with this apartment, but before I sign the lease, I just want to ask some questions, would this be a huge social disadvantage/inconvenience(as opposed to Regents)? Because I cant seem to find any nearby grocery stores, and it is moving slightly more south, which can be more dangerous?

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Crowing » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:46 pm

Hyde Park has really mediocre food. Probably the only place I legitimately like is Seoul Corea or w/e. Salonica is pretty dece too I guess, though beep and I disagree on that.

User avatar
Robb
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:21 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Robb » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:19 pm

lawschool2014hopeful wrote:After running into some last minute issues with Regent I am thinking of moving into something else, I got offered a pretty nice graduate housing on 60th and Ingleside, a block away from the law school. 6027 S Ingleside Ave to be exact. Every thing looks good with this apartment, but before I sign the lease, I just want to ask some questions, would this be a huge social disadvantage/inconvenience(as opposed to Regents)? Because I cant seem to find any nearby grocery stores, and it is moving slightly more south, which can be more dangerous?

I don't think that's a dangerous area, but it is pretty far from any grocery stores which will be inconvenient. Definitely farther than Regents, which isn't exactly close. Then again, you go to school more than you go to the grocery store, and the bus will take you up to Hyde Park Produce and near the other Grocery Store in HP (Treasure Island), or you could just walk, but walking that far carrying groceries would suck, especially in winter. It's also basically on the complete opposite side of Hyde Park as compared to Regents.

kappycaft1 swears by PeaPod, I think it's called.

User avatar
DontStopBeliebin
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:29 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby DontStopBeliebin » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:37 am

beepboopbeep wrote:Snail is def best for Pad Thai, probably also best red/green curry (though Thai 55 is alright too) but don't get their Pad Seeu. It's awful.

Noodles is the best Pad Seeu hands down.

No one really goes to Siam. I tried to do it for a while but other places do everything better.


...

Snail's Pad Thai tastes like cardboard ... and their Pad See Ew is amazing

Neal Patrick Harris
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Neal Patrick Harris » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:50 am

DontStopBeliebin wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:Snail is def best for Pad Thai, probably also best red/green curry (though Thai 55 is alright too) but don't get their Pad Seeu. It's awful.

Noodles is the best Pad Seeu hands down.

No one really goes to Siam. I tried to do it for a while but other places do everything better.


...

Snail's Pad Thai tastes like cardboard ... and their Pad See Ew is amazing


agreed

lawschool2014hopeful
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:48 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:03 pm

Robb wrote:
lawschool2014hopeful wrote:After running into some last minute issues with Regent I am thinking of moving into something else, I got offered a pretty nice graduate housing on 60th and Ingleside, a block away from the law school. 6027 S Ingleside Ave to be exact. Every thing looks good with this apartment, but before I sign the lease, I just want to ask some questions, would this be a huge social disadvantage/inconvenience(as opposed to Regents)? Because I cant seem to find any nearby grocery stores, and it is moving slightly more south, which can be more dangerous?

I don't think that's a dangerous area, but it is pretty far from any grocery stores which will be inconvenient. Definitely farther than Regents, which isn't exactly close. Then again, you go to school more than you go to the grocery store, and the bus will take you up to Hyde Park Produce and near the other Grocery Store in HP (Treasure Island), or you could just walk, but walking that far carrying groceries would suck, especially in winter. It's also basically on the complete opposite side of Hyde Park as compared to Regents.

kappycaft1 swears by PeaPod, I think it's called.


Thanks Robb!

Sorry to be bothersome, but is this the generally agreed upon opinion regarding this area? I just got slightly more worried from the latest security email, even though that is not close to where I am considering to live.

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby beepboopbeep » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:18 pm

lawschool2014hopeful wrote:
Robb wrote:
lawschool2014hopeful wrote:After running into some last minute issues with Regent I am thinking of moving into something else, I got offered a pretty nice graduate housing on 60th and Ingleside, a block away from the law school. 6027 S Ingleside Ave to be exact. Every thing looks good with this apartment, but before I sign the lease, I just want to ask some questions, would this be a huge social disadvantage/inconvenience(as opposed to Regents)? Because I cant seem to find any nearby grocery stores, and it is moving slightly more south, which can be more dangerous?

I don't think that's a dangerous area, but it is pretty far from any grocery stores which will be inconvenient. Definitely farther than Regents, which isn't exactly close. Then again, you go to school more than you go to the grocery store, and the bus will take you up to Hyde Park Produce and near the other Grocery Store in HP (Treasure Island), or you could just walk, but walking that far carrying groceries would suck, especially in winter. It's also basically on the complete opposite side of Hyde Park as compared to Regents.

kappycaft1 swears by PeaPod, I think it's called.


Thanks Robb!

Sorry to be bothersome, but is this the generally agreed upon opinion regarding this area? I just got slightly more worried from the latest security email, even though that is not close to where I am considering to live.


I think I've been in Hyde Park longer than anyone else on this board (well, maybe one person has a longer claim). The area's... not terrible, but also not quite as safe as Hyde Park proper. The latest security email stuff really is not close to where you would be. In like 2007 a UofC chem grad student was killed in a driveby about a block southeast of there, but they've really beefed up the police presence and lighting south of the midway since then. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

To be sure, if you go a couple of blocks south it gets dicey quickly. But along 60th is not that bad. It'd depend on the price to me. I'd want a discount living south of the Midway but the prices there have been going up over the last few years as more University things get built and more students are willing to risk it.

User avatar
Robb
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:21 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Robb » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:22 pm

Yea, I mean, that's just about a block west of the law school. There's an undegrad residence right there, too. I wouldn't worry about security in that area any more than I would in the rest of Hyde Park, just don't go South.

I've walked the streets there at 1AM on more than one occasion and never felt unsafe. There's always security on every street corner.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Crowing » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:42 pm

lawschool2014hopeful wrote:
Robb wrote:
lawschool2014hopeful wrote:After running into some last minute issues with Regent I am thinking of moving into something else, I got offered a pretty nice graduate housing on 60th and Ingleside, a block away from the law school. 6027 S Ingleside Ave to be exact. Every thing looks good with this apartment, but before I sign the lease, I just want to ask some questions, would this be a huge social disadvantage/inconvenience(as opposed to Regents)? Because I cant seem to find any nearby grocery stores, and it is moving slightly more south, which can be more dangerous?

I don't think that's a dangerous area, but it is pretty far from any grocery stores which will be inconvenient. Definitely farther than Regents, which isn't exactly close. Then again, you go to school more than you go to the grocery store, and the bus will take you up to Hyde Park Produce and near the other Grocery Store in HP (Treasure Island), or you could just walk, but walking that far carrying groceries would suck, especially in winter. It's also basically on the complete opposite side of Hyde Park as compared to Regents.

kappycaft1 swears by PeaPod, I think it's called.


Thanks Robb!

Sorry to be bothersome, but is this the generally agreed upon opinion regarding this area? I just got slightly more worried from the latest security email, even though that is not close to where I am considering to live.


The incident from the latest e-mail took place in the middle of Hyde Park lol. Same rules apply as any other urban setting. Don't do anything stupid.

lawschool2014hopeful
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:48 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:44 pm

Crowing wrote:
lawschool2014hopeful wrote:
Robb wrote:
lawschool2014hopeful wrote:After running into some last minute issues with Regent I am thinking of moving into something else, I got offered a pretty nice graduate housing on 60th and Ingleside, a block away from the law school. 6027 S Ingleside Ave to be exact. Every thing looks good with this apartment, but before I sign the lease, I just want to ask some questions, would this be a huge social disadvantage/inconvenience(as opposed to Regents)? Because I cant seem to find any nearby grocery stores, and it is moving slightly more south, which can be more dangerous?

I don't think that's a dangerous area, but it is pretty far from any grocery stores which will be inconvenient. Definitely farther than Regents, which isn't exactly close. Then again, you go to school more than you go to the grocery store, and the bus will take you up to Hyde Park Produce and near the other Grocery Store in HP (Treasure Island), or you could just walk, but walking that far carrying groceries would suck, especially in winter. It's also basically on the complete opposite side of Hyde Park as compared to Regents.

kappycaft1 swears by PeaPod, I think it's called.


Thanks Robb!

Sorry to be bothersome, but is this the generally agreed upon opinion regarding this area? I just got slightly more worried from the latest security email, even though that is not close to where I am considering to live.


The incident from the latest e-mail took place in the middle of Hyde Park lol. Same rules apply as any other urban setting. Don't do anything stupid.



I am slightly worried because I like to use the gym quite a bit, and the incidents are quite close to the gym. Also, the incidents are much earlier than I expected. 8pm robberies? I have been living in a small sheltered town for the last 8 years of my life, all of this big city responsibility/common sense things are scary to me!

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby 20141023 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:54 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby midwest17 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:58 pm

If "crime never happens" is your standard for places you're willing to live, you're going to lead a pretty boring life.

ETA: Slightly less flippantly: Hyde Park is safe. South of the midway is safe. Following too much advice about where to go and where not to go will limit your boundaries and diminish the value you can get out of living in a large city.

Be smart, be careful. But don't spend so much time worrying about it.

FinalFour
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:12 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby FinalFour » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:52 pm

So it's basically impossible for me to get Wifi at Regents because the soonest appointment that can be made to get a modem is a weekday midway into Orientation, which will require me to be doing whatever event it is we are supposed to be doing (I like how they drop this bomb on me the day before I move in). This is somewhat problematic as we have to submit an outline for an assignment and god knows what else I will need internet for. Anyone have any clever ideas short of going to Starbucks for wifi for 3 weeks straight?

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby 20141023 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:59 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:00 pm

FinalFour wrote:So it's basically impossible for me to get Wifi at Regents because the soonest appointment that can be made to get a modem is a weekday midway into Orientation, which will require me to be doing whatever event it is we are supposed to be doing (I like how they drop this bomb on me the day before I move in). This is somewhat problematic as we have to submit an outline for an assignment and god knows what else I will need internet for. Anyone have any clever ideas short of going to Starbucks for wifi for 3 weeks straight?

Take the 172 to school bro. Get an ID and get a feel for the campus.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby bjsesq » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:00 pm

WTB the latest in U of C dumpsterfire listserv spats.

gchatbrah
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:26 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby gchatbrah » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:04 pm

bjsesq wrote:WTB the latest in U of C dumpsterfire listserv spats.


i must not have requested to be put back on a listserv after they removed us all for maintenance earlier this summer. reader's digest?

User avatar
Robb
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:21 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Robb » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:26 pm

We have to request to be re-added?

FinalFour
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:12 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby FinalFour » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:42 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:Business. Center.


You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Mal Reynolds wrote:
FinalFour wrote:So it's basically impossible for me to get Wifi at Regents because the soonest appointment that can be made to get a modem is a weekday midway into Orientation, which will require me to be doing whatever event it is we are supposed to be doing (I like how they drop this bomb on me the day before I move in). This is somewhat problematic as we have to submit an outline for an assignment and god knows what else I will need internet for. Anyone have any clever ideas short of going to Starbucks for wifi for 3 weeks straight?

Take the 172 to school bro. Get an ID and get a feel for the campus.


The first thing I am planning on doing when I arrive is getting my ID so I can take the 172 for free, so that is on the schedule. I'm assuming I can use at least some school facilities immediately after that too?

gchatbrah
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:26 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby gchatbrah » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:45 pm

Robb wrote:We have to request to be re-added?


whoops; my bad. looked at the email they sent earlier in the summer -- we're supposed to be resubscribed immediately. i've only gotten bookserv emails thus far though, and i assume this is taking place on lawannounce. or i'm just an idiot. all of these are possible.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Crowing » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:18 pm

FinalFour wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:Business. Center.


You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Mal Reynolds wrote:
FinalFour wrote:So it's basically impossible for me to get Wifi at Regents because the soonest appointment that can be made to get a modem is a weekday midway into Orientation, which will require me to be doing whatever event it is we are supposed to be doing (I like how they drop this bomb on me the day before I move in). This is somewhat problematic as we have to submit an outline for an assignment and god knows what else I will need internet for. Anyone have any clever ideas short of going to Starbucks for wifi for 3 weeks straight?

Take the 172 to school bro. Get an ID and get a feel for the campus.


The first thing I am planning on doing when I arrive is getting my ID so I can take the 172 for free, so that is on the schedule. I'm assuming I can use at least some school facilities immediately after that too?


I'm pretty sure during normal hours you can just walk into the law school and nobody will stop you

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby 20141023 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:29 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:41 pm

Don't crush their spirits yet.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby 20141023 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:44 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:27 pm

I liked finding excuses to go to the law school before it started and I realized it was a place of darkness and despair.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: splitterfromhell and 5 guests