UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
WheninLaw
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby WheninLaw » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:05 pm

Sigh.

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby skers » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:40 pm

PearlPoet wrote:
Dany wrote:
DontStopBeliebin wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:A little bird told me an extraordinarily generous (and let's face it, just all around extraordinary) 2L is going to give his autumn quarter books away on the bookserv beginning the Friday before classes start.


I also have autumn quarter books to give away (Torts and Property). I got them used; they had some highlighting and some notes written in the margins in very neat handwriting. No idea if the highlighting and notes are good/useful. Also no idea if they're still the current edition this year and no guarantees on quality... but if you want them for free just PM me when you're in Hyde Park.

Edit: Taken.

PearlPoet... ಠ_ಠ


It wasn't me, I'm afraid. Not that I am above buying texts early, but I don't like having other people's marginalia and highlighting in my books. I need plenty of room for all my own inane marginalia that I later regret having written in pen.


You're going going to fit in really well at The Law School.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:51 am

PearlPoet wrote:
Dany wrote:
DontStopBeliebin wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:A little bird told me an extraordinarily generous (and let's face it, just all around extraordinary) 2L is going to give his autumn quarter books away on the bookserv beginning the Friday before classes start.


I also have autumn quarter books to give away (Torts and Property). I got them used; they had some highlighting and some notes written in the margins in very neat handwriting. No idea if the highlighting and notes are good/useful. Also no idea if they're still the current edition this year and no guarantees on quality... but if you want them for free just PM me when you're in Hyde Park.

Edit: Taken.

PearlPoet... ಠ_ಠ


It wasn't me, I'm afraid. Not that I am above buying texts early, but I don't like having other people's marginalia and highlighting in my books. I need plenty of room for all my own inane marginalia that I later regret having written in pen.


Gross.

Canof09
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:43 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Canof09 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:09 pm

So is the best way to get books via the bookserv then? That seems to be the vibe I'm getting.

Also I just moved to HP, so if anybody is just dying to get rid of their 1L stuff send me a message. I pinky promise that I won't read a word of it until class starts.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Crowing » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:12 pm

Canof09 wrote:So is the best way to get books via the bookserv then? That seems to be the vibe I'm getting.

Also I just moved to HP, so if anybody is just dying to get rid of their 1L stuff send me a message. I pinky promise that I won't read a word of it until class starts.


eBay can have the best prices--I would keep an eye out there

Otherwise buying from 2Ls sure beats Amazon or the bookstore

PS: Buy my books 1Ls! I'm sure I'll be selling them later in the summer when more of y'all are in town. Also let us know what editions you have to have for your classes so we can like burn the ones that are outdated.

WheninLaw
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby WheninLaw » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:15 pm

Canof09 wrote:So is the best way to get books via the bookserv then? That seems to be the vibe I'm getting.

Also I just moved to HP, so if anybody is just dying to get rid of their 1L stuff send me a message. I pinky promise that I won't read a word of it until class starts.


Bookserv is great. Also, the school will do a book sale once in a while with cheap supplements. Renting books on Amazing is also credited - you can get full textbooks for $15. And there is every supplement imaginable in the library, no need to buy them.

I was a moron and spent like $750 on books/supplements 1st Q. I have not spent more than $100 since.

User avatar
WhiteyCakes
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby WhiteyCakes » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:15 pm

Crowing wrote:
Canof09 wrote:So is the best way to get books via the bookserv then? That seems to be the vibe I'm getting.

Also I just moved to HP, so if anybody is just dying to get rid of their 1L stuff send me a message. I pinky promise that I won't read a word of it until class starts.


eBay can have the best prices--I would keep an eye out there

Otherwise buying from 2Ls sure beats Amazon or the bookstore

PS: Buy my books 1Ls! I'm sure I'll be selling them later in the summer when more of y'all are in town. Also let us know what editions you have to have for your classes so we can like burn the ones that are outdated.


Property will definitely be a new edition

lawschool2014hopeful
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:48 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:09 pm

Anyone enrolled in the school offered dental plan?

I am thinking of getting braces or something of the sort during 2L, or after 1L concludes. I am just curious, would the dental plan cover it? The website says it covers 80% oral surgery.

FinalFour
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:12 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby FinalFour » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:28 pm

1. What is the best place to get a haircut in Hyde Park?
2. Is there a bus near a grocery store that goes to Regents? I'm getting the vibe buying groceries in Hyde Park without a car requires the same effort as traversing Middle Earth and destroying the ring.
3. How cold does it have to get until wearing gloves/winter gear doesn't make you look like a sissy?
4. Why is Regents run by a bunch of communists?
5. Is Con Law required at some point?
6. Is there a specific time of day we have to move into Regents or can we show up whenever? (Regents refuses to answer this question and just ignores me)
7. Seriously though, Regents ignores my questions in the body of emails every time and only responds acknowledging the attached documents I send. They are clearly not even reading the email. It's a joke.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:42 pm

FinalFour wrote:1. What is the best place to get a haircut in Hyde Park?
2. Is there a bus near a grocery store that goes to Regents? I'm getting the vibe buying groceries in Hyde Park without a car requires the same effort as traversing Middle Earth and destroying the ring.
3. How cold does it have to get until wearing gloves/winter gear doesn't make you look like a sissy?
4. Why is Regents run by a bunch of communists?
5. Is Con Law required at some point?
6. Is there a specific time of day we have to move into Regents or can we show up whenever? (Regents refuses to answer this question and just ignores me)
7. Seriously though, Regents ignores my questions in the body of emails every time and only responds acknowledging the attached documents I send. They are clearly not even reading the email. It's a joke.


Never lived in Regents or got my hair cut in HP, but Conlaw is never required (you probably should take at least one Conlaw class during law school though, if for no other reason than to help w the bar).

And wear a jacket and gloves whenever you damn please. I feel like there can be legitimate scarf & gloves weather any time from Sept through May, though there can also be beautiful 70-80 degree days as late as Nov and as early as March.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby 20141023 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:25 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby midwest17 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:43 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:A Berkeley student and a Columbia student were recently telling me that a Conlaw course is required for some bar exams (like Ny, Cali, etc.). I told them is be surprised if that were true, but they kept insisting it was. They're full of it, right?


A quick search makes it look like that's true for LLMs (for NY) but not JDs.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby 2014 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:12 pm

I'm not taking any con laws so I'll let you know if there's a fun surprise waiting for me come Bar season.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:13 pm

2014 wrote:I'm not taking any con laws so I'll let you know if there's a fun surprise waiting for me come Bar season.


Scalia is gonna be really angry with you.

User avatar
DontStopBeliebin
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:29 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby DontStopBeliebin » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:36 pm

FinalFour wrote:1. What is the best place to get a haircut in Hyde Park?
2. Is there a bus near a grocery store that goes to Regents? I'm getting the vibe buying groceries in Hyde Park without a car requires the same effort as traversing Middle Earth and destroying the ring.
3. How cold does it have to get until wearing gloves/winter gear doesn't make you look like a sissy?
4. Why is Regents run by a bunch of communists?
5. Is Con Law required at some point?
6. Is there a specific time of day we have to move into Regents or can we show up whenever? (Regents refuses to answer this question and just ignores me)
7. Seriously though, Regents ignores my questions in the body of emails every time and only responds acknowledging the attached documents I send. They are clearly not even reading the email. It's a joke.


2. No bus. Treasure Island is about a 10 minute walk from Regents, Hyde Park Produce is about a 15 minute walk (I walk slow). Both have their cons though. I know some people who carpooled on a Zipcar membership for Trader Joe's / Costco runs downtown.

3. Chicago isn't that cold, but probably around Thanksgiving?

7. Regents is run by MAC, which can be a pretty special cookie to deal with sometimes. I had a lot of questions to resolve and a lot of bureaucracy/paperwork to wade through before I moved into a different MAC apartment for 1L, and their property managers tended to ignore my emails a lot too. What I had a lot of success with was calling the front desk (concierge) directly and once I found a guy who was nice and knew what he was doing, I would only call him and have him bug the property managers for me. I don't know if Regents is the same way but some of their front desk people seem awesome, so take that advice how you will.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby 2014 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:27 pm

The 172 stops at Hyde Park Produce fyi

FinalFour
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:12 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby FinalFour » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:49 am

Thanks for the responses everyone!

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Dany » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:13 am

Seriously just get Zipcar. I lived in Hyde Park for 3 years without it and just got groceries by walking or taking the bus, and while it's completely doable and not that bad, my life is so much better now that I (a) can just drive to the store, and (b) don't have to shop at Treasure Island.

Also con law is actually fun so you should take it anyway.

badaboom61
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby badaboom61 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:07 pm

FinalFour wrote:1. What is the best place to get a haircut in Hyde Park?
2. Is there a bus near a grocery store that goes to Regents? I'm getting the vibe buying groceries in Hyde Park without a car requires the same effort as traversing Middle Earth and destroying the ring.
3. How cold does it have to get until wearing gloves/winter gear doesn't make you look like a sissy?
4. Why is Regents run by a bunch of communists?
5. Is Con Law required at some point?
6. Is there a specific time of day we have to move into Regents or can we show up whenever? (Regents refuses to answer this question and just ignores me)
7. Seriously though, Regents ignores my questions in the body of emails every time and only responds acknowledging the attached documents I send. They are clearly not even reading the email. It's a joke.


1. For men, the University Barber Shop at the Reynolds Club does a good job with a basic haircut. Anything fancier than that and you're out of luck. I think women usually go downtown / lincoln park / wicker park.

4. They're not communists at all. They do everything they can to provide cheap services and maximize their revenue so that their shareholders can profit. That profit just comes at the expense of you, their customer.

5. No, but you should at least take Con Law I. Lawyers are expected some idea about how the government operates.

6. You should be able to sign up for a 2-hour timeframe to use the loading dock and freight elevator. They should issue you your keys at any time during business hours, though.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Fwiw I've never had any problems at regents. Maintenance is fast and responsive. Management is nice to me. The amenities are meh but have their appeal. In fact I plan on staying here two more years. If anyone has yet to sign a lease pm me and I'll split the small bonus we get.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:20 pm

Dany wrote:Seriously just get Zipcar. I lived in Hyde Park for 3 years without it and just got groceries by walking or taking the bus, and while it's completely doable and not that bad, my life is so much better now that I (a) can just drive to the store, and (b) don't have to shop at Treasure Island.

Also con law is actually fun so you should take it anyway.

I have to imagine that it's cheaper to rent a zipcar occasionally for big trips than shop at Treasure Island (especially if you split with friends). Treasure Island is a ripoff and is filled with awful people.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:51 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
Dany wrote:Seriously just get Zipcar. I lived in Hyde Park for 3 years without it and just got groceries by walking or taking the bus, and while it's completely doable and not that bad, my life is so much better now that I (a) can just drive to the store, and (b) don't have to shop at Treasure Island.

Also con law is actually fun so you should take it anyway.

I have to imagine that it's cheaper to rent a zipcar occasionally for big trips than shop at Treasure Island (especially if you split with friends). Treasure Island is a ripoff and is filled with awful people.


^^^^^^

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby beepboopbeep » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:19 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Dany wrote:Seriously just get Zipcar. I lived in Hyde Park for 3 years without it and just got groceries by walking or taking the bus, and while it's completely doable and not that bad, my life is so much better now that I (a) can just drive to the store, and (b) don't have to shop at Treasure Island.

Also con law is actually fun so you should take it anyway.

I have to imagine that it's cheaper to rent a zipcar occasionally for big trips than shop at Treasure Island (especially if you split with friends). Treasure Island is a ripoff and is filled with awful people.


^^^^^^


It's a fantastic grocery store if you like food that is normally expensive. Lots of hard to find stuff. The problem is the shit that should be cheap costs as much there as the shit that should be expensive.

Canof09
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:43 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Canof09 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:52 pm

You have all successfully convinced me that 0L prep is just the worst. But does anybody have strong feelings one way or the other about Getting To Maybe? I don't mind spending the time reading it, but I would obviously prefer to pass if it isn't all that helpful.

Also, I just now read the IT memorandum that they sent us about a month ago. I have an Intel i5 processor and I got the impression that I am on the low end of things in terms of computer specs. They recommended an i7. Am I good here?

Muchos gracias.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:55 pm

Canof09 wrote:You have all successfully convinced me that 0L prep is just the worst. But does anybody have strong feelings one way or the other about Getting To Maybe? I don't mind spending the time reading it, but I would obviously prefer to pass if it isn't all that helpful.

Also, I just now read the IT memorandum that they sent us about a month ago. I have an Intel i5 processor and I got the impression that I am on the low end of things in terms of computer specs. They recommended an i7. Am I good here?

Muchos gracias.


You have a month left until school. There are worse things you can do than read gtm on the beach. Don't stress either way. I read about half of it. Not sure it helped a lot but it didn't hurt.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: a male human, brendo17, Frump367, kirkwood, lonola, mrclean17 and 5 guests