UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby 2014 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:32 am

Gryffindor wrote:I noticed a few pages back people asking about gyms in the area. I was wondering if anyone could comment on Regent's fitness center? I know it's probably not very big, but is it decent?

It has several cardio machines as well as a free weight area (though at least when I lived there it had a smith machine rather than a squat rack which sucked). It just got re-done at least.

Neal Patrick Harris

Postby Neal Patrick Harris » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:36 am

2014 wrote:
Gryffindor wrote:I noticed a few pages back people asking about gyms in the area. I was wondering if anyone could comment on Regent's fitness center? I know it's probably not very big, but is it decent?

It has several cardio machines as well as a free weight area (though at least when I lived there it had a smith machine rather than a squat rack which sucked). It just got re-done at least.

From what I hear, everything in regents is worse than when we were there.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:34 am

Neal Patrick Harris wrote:
2014 wrote:

From what I hear, everything in regents is worse than when we were there.

It is. The gym renovation was extremely disappointing. Just dumbbells now, no free weights. I guess the carpet's nicer.

PearlPoet

Postby PearlPoet » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:51 am

Hi folks!

Is there any way to purchase some of our textbooks before the quarter begins? I know we won't be told our professors until orientation, but I did see that, for example, the torts profs both use the same case book. At least, the Barnes and Noble link on the class schedules page suggested that they do. Are there any other books that I will definitely need? Could the listings change before the quarter begins? I know I'll get them eventually, but it would be kind of fun to poke around in them while I'm waiting for things to begin.

Thanks!

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:51 am

PearlPoet wrote:Hi folks!

Is there any way to purchase some of our textbooks before the quarter begins? I know we won't be told our professors until orientation, but I did see that, for example, the torts profs both use the same case book. At least, the Barnes and Noble link on the class schedules page suggested that they do. Are there any other books that I will definitely need? Could the listings change before the quarter begins? I know I'll get them eventually, but it would be kind of fun to poke around in them while I'm waiting for things to begin.

Thanks!

Please do not do this. You really just need to enjoy your last month before school starts and not worry about law school reading yet. We would tell you if reading ahead was a good use of your time, and it really isn't.

Plus, the cheapest way to get textbooks is usually to buy from upperclassmen who sell them on the listserv, which won't happen until right before classes. Otherwise you'll likely be overpaying.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:53 am

Dany wrote:

Thanks!

Please do not do this. You really just need to enjoy your last month before school starts and not worry about law school reading yet. We would tell you if reading ahead was a good use of your time, and it really isn't.

Plus, the cheapest way to get textbooks is usually to buy from upperclassmen who sell them on the listserv, which won't happen until right before classes. Otherwise you'll likely be overpaying.

Is buying from upperclassmen cheaper even then used on Amazon? Not hoping to start looking through my casebooks, but I am interested in spending as little money as possible on them. :)

Neal Patrick Harris

Postby Neal Patrick Harris » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:15 am

midwest17 wrote:[

Is buying from upperclassmen cheaper even then used on Amazon? Not hoping to start looking through my casebooks, but I am interested in spending as little money as possible on them. :)

Yes. Even the most-expensive people charge around 15-20 less than the lowest price on amazon.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:24 am

Dany wrote:

Thanks!

A little bird told me an extraordinarily generous (and let's face it, just all around extraordinary) 2L is going to give his autumn quarter books away on the bookserv beginning the Friday before classes start.

PearlPoet

Postby PearlPoet » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:39 am

Thanks for the friendly advice, and it's helpful to know about buying from upperclassmen. However, though I have no intention of seriously "reading ahead" - I don't even know what that would look like - it would be, as I said, fun to get a book or two and poke around in them just to see the sort of things I'll be spending my time on. I have enjoyed and will continue to enjoy my free summer very much, and I don't mind spending an extra fifteen bucks for the little fun I mentioned. Anyhow, no need to answer the question if you have serious objections to me getting the books, but I would appreciate knowing if there are any texts/editions I will definitely need. Thanks again.

Cheers!

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:45 am

I skimmed Johnson v. M'intosh when I got my books. Didn't understand a god damned word and freaked out for half a night. There is no fun to be had, believe me. And you won't be able to tell what books you need until you get your section assignments.

skers

Postby skers » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:46 am

PearlPoet wrote:Thanks for the friendly advice, and it's helpful to know about buying from upperclassmen. However, though I have no intention of seriously "reading ahead" - I don't even know what that would look like - it would be, as I said, fun to get a book or two and poke around in them just to see the sort of things I'll be spending my time on. I have enjoyed and will continue to enjoy my free summer very much, and I don't mind spending an extra fifteen bucks for the little fun I mentioned. Anyhow, no need to answer the question if you have serious objections to me getting the books, but I would appreciate knowing if there are any texts/editions I will definitely need. Thanks again.

Cheers!

Stop.

PearlPoet

Postby PearlPoet » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:49 am

skers wrote:
PearlPoet wrote:Thanks for the friendly advice, and it's helpful to know about buying from upperclassmen. However, though I have no intention of seriously "reading ahead" - I don't even know what that would look like - it would be, as I said, fun to get a book or two and poke around in them just to see the sort of things I'll be spending my time on. I have enjoyed and will continue to enjoy my free summer very much, and I don't mind spending an extra fifteen bucks for the little fun I mentioned. Anyhow, no need to answer the question if you have serious objections to me getting the books, but I would appreciate knowing if there are any texts/editions I will definitely need. Thanks again.

Cheers!

Stop.

Will do. :)

That last thing Mal said was what I wanted to know.

Neal Patrick Harris

Postby Neal Patrick Harris » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:58 am

<3 UChicago

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:10 pm

Any current MAC property/regent residents want split a referral bonus, Mal was my guy but he is not responding.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:12 pm

lawschool2014hopeful wrote:Any current MAC property/regent residents want split a referral bonus, Mal was my guy but he is not responding.

Oh no I'm your man.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:15 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
lawschool2014hopeful wrote:Any current MAC property/regent residents want split a referral bonus, Mal was my guy but he is not responding.

Oh no I'm your man.

MAL STILL MY MAN.

DontStopBeliebin

Postby DontStopBeliebin » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:41 pm

elterrible78 wrote:A little bird told me an extraordinarily generous (and let's face it, just all around extraordinary) 2L is going to give his autumn quarter books away on the bookserv beginning the Friday before classes start.

I also have autumn quarter books to give away (Torts and Property). I got them used; they had some highlighting and some notes written in the margins in very neat handwriting. No idea if the highlighting and notes are good/useful. Also no idea if they're still the current edition this year and no guarantees on quality... but if you want them for free just PM me when you're in Hyde Park.

Edit: Taken.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:14 pm

DontStopBeliebin wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:A little bird told me an extraordinarily generous (and let's face it, just all around extraordinary) 2L is going to give his autumn quarter books away on the bookserv beginning the Friday before classes start.

I also have autumn quarter books to give away (Torts and Property). I got them used; they had some highlighting and some notes written in the margins in very neat handwriting. No idea if the highlighting and notes are good/useful. Also no idea if they're still the current edition this year and no guarantees on quality... but if you want them for free just PM me when you're in Hyde Park.

PearlPoet... ಠ_ಠ

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:16 pm

LOLOLOLOLOL

DontStopBeliebin

Postby DontStopBeliebin » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:41 pm

Dany wrote:PearlPoet... ಠ_ಠ

Not going to out who dibs'd it ... but I like to think of myself as an enabler ...

Postby 2014 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:58 pm

I would not wish below median on anyone but anyone who reads a damn word out of a textbook prior to getting their reading assignments is toeing the fucking line :evil:

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:38 pm

2014 wrote:I would not wish below median on anyone but anyone who reads a damn word out of a textbook prior to getting their reading assignments is toeing the fucking line :evil:

By all conventional uses of this idiom, this makes no sense.

PearlPoet

Postby PearlPoet » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:17 pm

Dany wrote:
DontStopBeliebin wrote:

PearlPoet... ಠ_ಠ

It wasn't me, I'm afraid. Not that I am above buying texts early, but I don't like having other people's marginalia and highlighting in my books. I need plenty of room for all my own inane marginalia that I later regret having written in pen.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:19 pm

Haymarket wrote:
2014 wrote:I would not wish below median on anyone but anyone who reads a damn word out of a textbook prior to getting their reading assignments is toeing the fucking line :evil:

Yet, somehow I feel we all understood exactly what he was saying.

Postby 2014 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:40 pm

Haymarket wrote:

Ty for this

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”