UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby 2014 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:52 pm

I was very glad to have a car 1L in HP, if you have one I would keep it and pay the $170 or w/e to Regents for indoor parking. When I moved out of HP I think the utility was wildly lower but there are still occasions where it is nice to have.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:29 pm

So since the 3Ls are here, what are the easiest classes to take?

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:30 pm

Advanced Legal Writing (seriously)

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:31 pm

Also planning to ride the Corporate Lab gravvy train straight to the top.

Of the bottom of the class.

DetectiveStabler

Postby DetectiveStabler » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:39 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice regarding cars/zipcars in Chicago. You've all been helpful :)

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:50 pm

Rahviveh wrote:So since the 3Ls are here, what are the easiest classes to take?

Advanced Legal Writing, Corporate Lab, Brief Writing, etc. You're looking for Classes/Seminars with easy finals (preferably no final). I don't want to out myself too much, but I'm happy to assist in creating the easiest class schedule ever via PM.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:56 pm

Language classes across the Midway
Entrepreneurship & the Law
Marriage Law

Also happy to answer Qs via PM about easy classes. This is the one thing about 2L/3L I can be of help on.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:05 pm

Dany wrote:Advanced Legal Writing (seriously)

Despite the seriously, can't tell if I'm being trolled.

EDIT: didn't see when in laws post, that makes sense
Last edited by Rahviveh on Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:07 pm

Rahviveh wrote:
Dany wrote:Advanced Legal Writing (seriously)

Despite the seriously, can't tell if I'm being trolled.

I'm scared she's gonna describe the final which will cause every single TLSer to enroll.

AspiringAcademic

Postby AspiringAcademic » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:09 pm

Dany wrote:Language classes across the Midway
Marriage Law

Also happy to answer Qs via PM about easy classes. This is the one thing about 2L/3L I can be of help on.

Do the language classes tend to go down as pass/fail, or do we get a grade for those?

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:14 pm

AspiringAcademic wrote:
Marriage Law

Do the language classes tend to go down as pass/fail, or do we get a grade for those?

Either way. On the petition to take an Across the Midway class, you can request to take the class pass/fail (I think you'd need the professor's approval for that) or you can just get a letter grade. The letter grades show up on your transcript but aren't factored into your GPA. I just went with the letter grade option.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:19 pm

And I'm not trolling at all about Advanced Legal Writing. You do zero legal research; it's just editing things for grammar and style. You have ungraded homework assignments (like "Edit these sentences to remove double negatives.") and our take-home final was a motion for summary judgment that we edited only for grammar and clarity. You don't have to fix citations or any of the legal arguments. It's just about being a better and clearer writer, and was very easy (and actually pretty good to know). The teacher is great too. A+ would take again.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:37 pm

Dany wrote:And I'm not trolling at all about Advanced Legal Writing. You do zero legal research; it's just editing things for grammar and style. You have ungraded homework assignments (like "Edit these sentences to remove double negatives.") and our take-home final was a motion for summary judgment that we edited only for grammar and clarity. You don't have to fix citations or any of the legal arguments. It's just about being a better and clearer writer, and was very easy (and actually pretty good to know). The teacher is great too. A+ would take again.

Oh my god can I take 4 of these a quarter

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:03 pm

AspiringAcademic wrote:
Marriage Law

I don't really know how it works with the law school, but assuming these show up on your transcript (whether or not they get factored into GPA, which I don't understand how they possibly could given the different scales) - be careful which you take. I did Arabic, French and Italian at different points during undergrad here. There's a big difference between the various language departments/how much work they require/how strictly they grade. I don't know if that shit's still the same from five years ago so I'll leave out how I did in each. I'm guessing the arabic department is still pretty tough.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:33 pm

Norwegian was very easy and fun and the teacher brings you baked goods on Fridays! :D

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:03 pm

Advanced Legal Research is also SUPER easy, but you have to write a "paper." Also, if you did not "get" Douglas Baird, for the love that is holy, do NOT take Secured Transactions. Just don't.

My main advice is don't use up all your seminars fall/winter quarter, because you're going to want non-exam classes in the spring so you can get to your jobs on time and not take Sunday/Memorial Day finals.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:07 pm

2014 wrote:I was very glad to have a car 1L in HP, if you have one I would keep it and pay the $170 or w/e to Regents for indoor parking. When I moved out of HP I think the utility was wildly lower but there are still occasions where it is nice to have.

I was glad to have a car in HP during 1L, though I only drove it sporadically. I was really happy to have it after 1L since it let me live north of the Loop.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:07 pm

Public Choice, in addition to changing your life, is also basically no work. There's reading but it's essentially optional. Just show up, pay attention, and enjoy.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:09 pm

Haymarket wrote:Public Choice, in addition to changing your life, is also basically no work. There's reading but it's essentially optional. Just show up, pay attention, and enjoy.

Yeah but then there's a levmore final at the end. But I guess that's mitigated by being a 2L.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:11 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Haymarket wrote:Public Choice, in addition to changing your life, is also basically no work. There's reading but it's essentially optional. Just show up, pay attention, and enjoy.

Yeah but then there's a levmore final at the end. But I guess that's mitigated by being a 2L.

This is true. In my experience, people either get him/it or they don't. If you feel like you "get" Levmore, then that class is a win by all metrics.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:28 pm

Levmore and Strauss are the only professors I liked enough that I want to take classes with them again. But I'm also not sure I want to take conlaw.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:30 pm

Rahviveh wrote:Levmore and Strauss are the only professors I liked enough that I want to take classes with them again. But I'm also not sure I want to take conlaw.

Your section definitely had the worse of the professors then. I've heard Strauss' Conlaw is amazing.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:38 pm

Rahviveh wrote:Levmore and Strauss are the only professors I liked enough that I want to take classes with them again. But I'm also not sure I want to take conlaw.

Con Law II (freedom of speech) with Strauss was my favorite class during 2L/3L. I very highly recommend it.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:52 pm

I liked Henderson a lot more than Levmore.

I would also take McAdams again, and Morrison too if he had stayed.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:16 pm

Crowing wrote:I liked Henderson a lot more than Levmore.

I would also take McAdams again, and Morrison too if he had stayed.

You should take criminal procedure if you havent alread y and he does it this year. That is an awesome class regardless of prof, and I sometimes wonder how it would have been with mcadams

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”