UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby 20141023 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:33 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:04 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
Canof09 wrote:
Xifeng wrote:Literally the only thing I could think of that isn't a complete waste of time is learn how to type quickly if you can't. But seriously, calm down. If you try teaching yourself something, you'll inevitably be taught a different perspective by a professor and it'll just fuck you up later. Learn a fun hobby for the "fun fact" orientation bullshit?



I type 55-60 WMP. Is this sufficient or should I invest in some sort of typing program? This is something I have actually been sort of worried about...

You're going to want to be at least around 90 WPM. Grades are directly related to the quantity and not quality of what you write, and it is common for people who can type 120+ WPM to get 186s. I'd invest in a private typing tutor if I were you.


Being a big bad rising 2L doesn't give you an excuse to shitty up this thread when folks ask legit questions.

User avatar
Robb
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:21 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Robb » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:16 pm

Canof09 wrote:
Xifeng wrote:Literally the only thing I could think of that isn't a complete waste of time is learn how to type quickly if you can't. But seriously, calm down. If you try teaching yourself something, you'll inevitably be taught a different perspective by a professor and it'll just fuck you up later. Learn a fun hobby for the "fun fact" orientation bullshit?



I type 55-60 WMP. Is this sufficient or should I invest in some sort of typing program? This is something I have actually been sort of worried about...

Definitely not worth worrying about, I think that's about where I am, but it certainly couldn't hurt to be able to go faster. But most exams have word limits, so it's not a huge deal, and honestly just taking notes on your computer throughout the quarter will probably help you improve your typing abilities.

Re 0L prep, if you have never studied economics might be helpful to learn a tiny bit about it. As someone who had never heard the word incentive in my life I found it helpful to watch Levmore's short (45 min if inrember correctly) YouTube video to finally have some idea of what the profs were getting at. I'm not saying you should do this, it's not really going to help you do better, but if you want something to do and when someone says "economics" you have no idea what they're talking about, it won't hurt.

Edit: here's the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK2qHyF-8u8
Last edited by Robb on Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Crowing » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:10 pm

Canof09 wrote:
Xifeng wrote:Literally the only thing I could think of that isn't a complete waste of time is learn how to type quickly if you can't. But seriously, calm down. If you try teaching yourself something, you'll inevitably be taught a different perspective by a professor and it'll just fuck you up later. Learn a fun hobby for the "fun fact" orientation bullshit?



I type 55-60 WMP. Is this sufficient or should I invest in some sort of typing program? This is something I have actually been sort of worried about...


I think it's fine. Being a really fast typist isn't that advantageous anyway imo because you get limited by how fast you think. I don't think I think faster than 60 wpm anyway.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby 20141023 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:58 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:14 am

kappycaft1 wrote:
Emma. wrote:Being a big bad rising 2L doesn't give you an excuse to shitty up this thread when folks ask legit questions.

I've been doing it to anyone since I've started posting on this site - it isn't a 2L thing. But whatevs.

Also, having an average typing speed of like 30wpm would be worrisome, but 55-60 is probably faster than like half of the class.

You were the most neurotic and unbearable 0L on these boards from your whole class. Don't suddenly get too big for your britches.

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby beepboopbeep » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:19 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:
Emma. wrote:Being a big bad rising 2L doesn't give you an excuse to shitty up this thread when folks ask legit questions.

I've been doing it to anyone since I've started posting on this site - it isn't a 2L thing. But whatevs.

Also, having an average typing speed of like 30wpm would be worrisome, but 55-60 is probably faster than like half of the class.

You were the most neurotic and unbearable 0L on these boards from your whole class. Don't suddenly get too big for your britches.


I think Reg'd be the first to acknowledge that, but I think it also makes him a relatively credible voice telling the other neurotic types to chill out

This might be a case of Reg's humor not translating online if you haven't met the guy. He was acknowledging making shitposts, why double down on it?

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby 20141023 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:30 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
elterrible78
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby elterrible78 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:04 pm

Crowing wrote:
Canof09 wrote:
Xifeng wrote:Literally the only thing I could think of that isn't a complete waste of time is learn how to type quickly if you can't. But seriously, calm down. If you try teaching yourself something, you'll inevitably be taught a different perspective by a professor and it'll just fuck you up later. Learn a fun hobby for the "fun fact" orientation bullshit?



I type 55-60 WMP. Is this sufficient or should I invest in some sort of typing program? This is something I have actually been sort of worried about...


I think it's fine. Being a really fast typist isn't that advantageous anyway imo because you get limited by how fast you think. I don't think I think faster than 60 wpm anyway.


I'm around 105-110 wpm, and it made a minor difference, if any. I suppose the biggest difference it makes is giving you a little extra time to think, if you can type faster once you've thought. I'm skeptical that those in the class who are wildly pounding on the keyboard 3 minutes into the exam are much more successful, regardless of their typing speed. Although there may be something to the idea that if you throw everything you can at the wall, at least some of it will stick, bullshit in any quantity is still bullshit. Plus, I imagine professors spend about 15 minutes reading each exam, so if they're reading 90% crap at the outset, chances are they'll start skimming early, with the background assumption that it's all crap.

Pure speculation, but my two cents.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby 20141023 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:08 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neal Patrick Harris
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Neal Patrick Harris » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:15 am

I can type fast and it's never been something I've thought about (examsoft will slow me down anyway).

I do have friends, however, who have said they prefer word-limit tests because they are slow at typing.

GBAADCCH
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:56 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby GBAADCCH » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:26 am

Not to be a Levmore acolyte like too many, but I think this refrain about not teaching from the case book is incorrect and suggests the point of Levmore's approach is still missed however many months later. Levmore does teach what's in the Farnsworth casebook. Farnsworth and Levmore think very similarly, and the cases are in the book and in that order to facilitate the Levmore way of understanding torts. Just because some might read the book and not get what it's trying to convey doesn't mean that's not what the book is trying to convey.

But regarding Henderson... yeah.

kappycaft1 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:You were the most neurotic and unbearable 0L on these boards from your whole class. Don't suddenly get too big for your britches.
No britches are big enough for my assburgers.

But yeah, sorry for my sarcasm, 0Ls. As has been pointed out, I was (and still am) extremely neurotic about stuff, and I regret not chilling more before school started. I know some people (like myself) move to Chicago way before school starts and are seriously just bored and looking for stuff to do, so you figure why not be productive and read something to prepare you for class. The thing is that even if you buy the casebook for a class and read it in advance, although it will probably make sense, that isn't even what many professors (e.g., Levmore) teach you, nor is it what many professors (e.g., Henderson) test you on.

Also, I don't think typing fast is that helpful for the reasons stated above (Crowing's point was 100% accurate, IMO). Many professors are starting to implement word limits, which means that if you type fast without thinking, you will likely hit the word limit and not have a lot of substance. FYI, most of the people I know with stellar grades this year are just average typists.

Neal Patrick Harris
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Neal Patrick Harris » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:31 am

GBAADCCH wrote:Not to be a Levmore acolyte like too many, but I think this refrain about not teaching from the case book is incorrect and suggests the point of Levmore's approach is still missed however many months later. Levmore does teach what's in the Farnsworth casebook. Farnsworth and Levmore think very similarly, and the cases are in the book and in that order to facilitate the Levmore way of understanding torts. Just because some might read the book and not get what it's trying to convey doesn't mean that's not what the book is trying to convey.

But regarding Henderson... yeah.

kappycaft1 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:You were the most neurotic and unbearable 0L on these boards from your whole class. Don't suddenly get too big for your britches.
No britches are big enough for my assburgers.

But yeah, sorry for my sarcasm, 0Ls. As has been pointed out, I was (and still am) extremely neurotic about stuff, and I regret not chilling more before school started. I know some people (like myself) move to Chicago way before school starts and are seriously just bored and looking for stuff to do, so you figure why not be productive and read something to prepare you for class. The thing is that even if you buy the casebook for a class and read it in advance, although it will probably make sense, that isn't even what many professors (e.g., Levmore) teach you, nor is it what many professors (e.g., Henderson) test you on.

Also, I don't think typing fast is that helpful for the reasons stated above (Crowing's point was 100% accurate, IMO). Many professors are starting to implement word limits, which means that if you type fast without thinking, you will likely hit the word limit and not have a lot of substance. FYI, most of the people I know with stellar grades this year are just average typists.


lol @ first post in 7 months

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:43 am

GBAADCCH wrote:Farnsworth and Levmore think very similarly


Is this personal knowledge? If not, I'm not sure we read the same casebook.

GBAADCCH wrote:the cases are in the book and in that order to facilitate the Levmore way of understanding torts


o rly

I'm a big fan of Levmore-schtick but to pretend it's not an idiosyncratic schtick is delusional. I mean, we spent about fifteen minutes talking about duty, mostly to conclude that "duty is stupid."

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:07 pm

GBAADCCH wrote:Not to be a Levmore acolyte like too many, but I think this refrain about not teaching from the case book is incorrect and suggests the point of Levmore's approach is still missed however many months later. Levmore does teach what's in the Farnsworth casebook. Farnsworth and Levmore think very similarly, and the cases are in the book and in that order to facilitate the Levmore way of understanding torts. Just because some might read the book and not get what it's trying to convey doesn't mean that's not what the book is trying to convey.

But regarding Henderson... yeah.



I get a sinking feeling that your screen name is an acronym for something levmorey

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:43 pm

Rahviveh wrote:
GBAADCCH wrote:Not to be a Levmore acolyte like too many, but I think this refrain about not teaching from the case book is incorrect and suggests the point of Levmore's approach is still missed however many months later. Levmore does teach what's in the Farnsworth casebook. Farnsworth and Levmore think very similarly, and the cases are in the book and in that order to facilitate the Levmore way of understanding torts. Just because some might read the book and not get what it's trying to convey doesn't mean that's not what the book is trying to convey.

But regarding Henderson... yeah.



I get a sinking feeling that your screen name is an acronym for something levmorey


Grazing Blasting (wild)Animals ___?___ Destruction(ofevidence) Common Carriers Hotels? Strict liability pockets

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:49 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
Rahviveh wrote:
GBAADCCH wrote:Not to be a Levmore acolyte like too many, but I think this refrain about not teaching from the case book is incorrect and suggests the point of Levmore's approach is still missed however many months later. Levmore does teach what's in the Farnsworth casebook. Farnsworth and Levmore think very similarly, and the cases are in the book and in that order to facilitate the Levmore way of understanding torts. Just because some might read the book and not get what it's trying to convey doesn't mean that's not what the book is trying to convey.

But regarding Henderson... yeah.



I get a sinking feeling that your screen name is an acronym for something levmorey


Grazing Blasting (wild)Animals ___?___ Destruction(ofevidence) Common Carriers Hotels? Strict liability pockets


im horrified

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:51 pm

Oh Jesus please stop the levmore talk.

DetectiveStabler
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:55 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby DetectiveStabler » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:04 pm

For those of you who don't have a car, do you use Zipcar? Would you recommend it? I only need a car a few times per month to go grocery shopping or to run errands. There are two options, the monthly driving plan $6/month and the occasional driving plan $60/year. Not sure if there is any relevant difference between the two. Thanks!

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Dany » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:24 pm

I use Zipcar and highly recommend it. There's a UChicago student discount and it's only $15/year, so the Occasional Driving plan is much cheaper.

http://www.zipcar.com/uofc

They're all over Hyde Park and really convenient. Also, you can PM me if you want me to refer you, and we'll each get $25 in driving credit.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby 20141023 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:13 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby DoveBodyWash » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:43 am

kappycaft1 wrote:If you want the car, though, definitely do what Dany suggested and don't bring a car to Chicago with you unless you (or your parents) are loaded.

I would get rid of my car if i didn't need to visit SO in different state. Monthly parking at most places around here are like 200-250 a month. And driving in the city is really shitty. I'll probably end up just leaving my car parked and use public transit/uber to get around.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby 20141023 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:15 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby DoveBodyWash » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:22 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
cusenation wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:If you want the car, though, definitely do what Dany suggested and don't bring a car to Chicago with you unless you (or your parents) are loaded.

I would get rid of my car if i didn't need to visit SO in different state. Monthly parking at most places around here are like 200-250 a month. And driving in the city is really shitty. I'll probably end up just leaving my car parked and use public transit/uber to get around.

What state? St. Louis, MO?

Haha Wisconsin

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Haymarket » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:43 pm

I disagree with the explanations (rationalizations?) for not bringing a car if you have one. I had a car, and I know a large number of people who did. Yes, depending on where you live, it will cost an extra $200 per month or so for parking, but there are some large advantages to having a car:

1. Grocery shopping. Holy hell, if you don't live near a grocery store, or even if your ideal grocery store isn't nearby, this is a huge pain in the ass. Yes, there's Peapod, but being able to go to a place like Target or Whole Foods and do a huge load of groceries rather than stuffing milk in your backpack and carrying as many bags as you can for 9 blocks was a big advantage to me.

2. Travel home is cheaper and sometimes faster. My family lived about 5 hours driving away from Chicago. If I were to add in the timing of getting to the airport, time to get through the airport, with extra time to not miss my flight, etc, driving was basically cost me no time at all, and it was only a $50 tank of gas rather than a $150+ ticket. Plus you have a car when you're at home.

3. Around-the-clock travel. Ever need to stay at the law school past 6? Want to go in on a weekend? Especially if you don't live in Hyde Park, this is basically a huge pain in the ass without a car or a friend with a car. Sure, you can do it, but more often than not you'll beg someone who drove to school to drop you off, and that's not always an option.

4. All of the other perks that come with having a car. If you own one, you know.

For me, it was well worth it I think, though I guess it varies based on circumstances. But just using Zipcar for the one time you want to go out to Ikea in the burbs is not a full solution to all the ways a car makes things easier. So it's worth considering.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests