UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Xifeng

Re: UChi 1Ls - 2 Quarters Down (!!) & Taking Questions

Postby Xifeng » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:40 pm

Tag! :)

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:24 pm

Anyone know how long it takes to get from Regents to The Law School by bus? How often do buses come, and how reliable are they?

marburger06

Postby marburger06 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:18 pm

jpk5372 wrote:to tag onto the moving question- whattdo people in regents usually do if they aren't planning on hanging around chicago for the summer? do they have 9 month leases/ sublet potential?

No 9-month leases. You can try to sublet, but you might have to go below the market rate (there's definitely more supply than demand for Hyde Park sublets).

Knock wrote:Anyone know how long it takes to get from Regents to The Law School by bus? How often do buses come, and how reliable are they?

Usually it's a 15-20 minute trip each way, depending on the time of day. Sometimes there's the occasional traffic issue that will mess things up, but that's not terribly common. During the morning rush hour periods (7-10 AM i think) they leave every 5 minutes or so, and during the day it's every 15 (with more during afternoon rush hour, 3:30-5:30). Reliability is kind of variable; they aren't ALWAYS on time, and there's been times where the last bus leaving the law school hasn't shown up, but if you leave yourself a little bit of leeway time it really is not a problem.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:26 pm

marburger06 wrote:
jpk5372 wrote:to tag onto the moving question- whattdo people in regents usually do if they aren't planning on hanging around chicago for the summer? do they have 9 month leases/ sublet potential?

No 9-month leases. You can try to sublet, but you might have to go below the market rate (there's definitely more supply than demand for Hyde Park sublets).

Knock wrote:Anyone know how long it takes to get from Regents to The Law School by bus? How often do buses come, and how reliable are they?

Usually it's a 15-20 minute trip each way, depending on the time of day. Sometimes there's the occasional traffic issue that will mess things up, but that's not terribly common. During the morning rush hour periods (7-10 AM i think) they leave every 5 minutes or so, and during the day it's every 15 (with more during afternoon rush hour, 3:30-5:30). Reliability is kind of variable; they aren't ALWAYS on time, and there's been times where the last bus leaving the law school hasn't shown up, but if you leave yourself a little bit of leeway time it really is not a problem.

Thanks for answering my question!

alphamoose

Postby alphamoose » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:41 pm

Last edited by alphamoose on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:11 pm

This is probably a dumb question, but is it possible to get a JD/MBA with no work experience?

ETA: How difficult is it to get into a JD/MA program once you're already a student?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:40 pm

alphamoose wrote:I have a few questions:

1) What is the parking situation for 1Ls at the law school?

You can rent a spot in a lot 2 blocks from the school for $75/month (I think) or else get to school between 7:30 and 7:45 and park for free on the Midway

alphamoose wrote:
2) How do people that don't have a car and live outside of hyde park get to school?

Mostly on the 2 bus, which is an express bus that runs morning and afternoons. Hopefully we'll have UPass next year, so we'll have unlimited use of the CTA system.

alphamoose wrote:
3) Do people who live outside of Hyde park live near each other or is everyone scattered?

Pretty scattered I think. A lot of people live in South Loop, otherwise it seems like Lincoln Park/Lakeview are the most common neighborhoods.

alphamoose wrote:
Thanks in advance; you all are so helpful! :D

:mrgreen:

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:05 pm

How many suits does one need to bring for 1L? I imagine you'd only need it for the 1L summer interviews, right?

Also - how shady is it just west of the law school (61st and Ellis area)? Looking at Grad housing there - it's cheap and seemingly very spacious.

pehaigllleises

Postby pehaigllleises » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:33 pm

I only had one suit jacket and two of the same matching skirt during 1L year. The skirts seemed to do fine in the ordinary washing machine and I just took the jacket off most of the time except during the actual interview to keep it fresh. I never had a day where I had two interviews back to back.

Having at least two full sets is helpful by the time of 2L OCI--several weeks of almost back to back interviews makes that a necessity. And I remain a fan of the two to three bottoms to jackets ratio.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:13 pm

I thought I read (could be wrong) that uchi cards might start giving you free rides on all CTA buses (not just the 171 and 172 anymore). Have any of you heard of anything like that?

pehaigllleises wrote:I only had one suit jacket and two of the same matching skirt during 1L year. The skirts seemed to do fine in the ordinary washing machine and I just took the jacket off most of the time except during the actual interview to keep it fresh. I never had a day where I had two interviews back to back.

Having at least two full sets is helpful by the time of 2L OCI--several weeks of almost back to back interviews makes that a necessity. And I remain a fan of the two to three bottoms to jackets ratio.

Thanks. I guess I'll bring two 1L until 2L OCI, when I'll bring a few others I have.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:35 pm

trudat15 wrote:I thought I read (could be wrong) that uchi cards might start giving you free rides on all CTA buses (not just the 171 and 172 anymore). Have any of you heard of anything like that?

Not exactly. There is going to be a vote soon on whether or not the law school will be getting UPass, which allows virtually unlimited "free" CTA rides at the cost of approximately $200/year (added to the tuition bill). If it passes, I believe it won't be added until the 2012-2013 school year. For a cost comparison, a one-month unlimited CTA pass is ~$80.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:45 pm

To emma: how did the crim final end up going?

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:56 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:I only had one suit jacket and two of the same matching skirt during 1L year. The skirts seemed to do fine in the ordinary washing machine and I just took the jacket off most of the time except during the actual interview to keep it fresh. I never had a day where I had two interviews back to back.

Not as dangerous as people say. However, when I visited there a year ago looking for an apartment, an old lady said to me in a cryptic voice: "what ever you do, don't cross the street." A business student was shot and killed two blocks south of there. Overall though, its not like people are actually trying to shoot and kill you in particular. Those who are dangerous enough to take you out are not going to bring police attention to themselves by killing you.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:56 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:

Not as dangerous as people say. However, when I visited there a year ago looking for an apartment, an old lady said to me in a cryptic voice: "what ever you do, don't cross the street." A business student was shot and killed two blocks south of there. Overall though, its not like people are actually trying to shoot and kill you in particular. Those who are dangerous enough to take you out are not going to bring police attention to themselves by killing you.

:shock:

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:05 am

Correction. 4 years ago, international Senegalese chemistry student at 61st and Ellis who refused to give his money away to a few 17-year old gang bangers. http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sectio ... id=5788942

Nevertheless, The University does an amazing job patrolling and protecting students in anyway possible. There are bouncer-esque safety guards at every corner on campus. There are safety buses which you can call to get a ride home. There is a private bus system which runs at night for everyone. There is one of the largest private police forces in the country which also has its own swat team, as well as Chicago PD and the secret service in Hyde Park. There are blue lights/cameras at every corner, red buttons you can press to get help at any time. Anytime anything happens that may be relevant, an email is sent out informing you of what to look out for. You also get good instruction at orientation from the campus police department.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:16 am

bjsesq wrote:To emma: how did the crim final end up going?

I should get my grade any day now. I'll let you know. Thanks for all your help!

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:17 am

California Babe wrote:
trudat15 wrote:I thought I read (could be wrong) that uchi cards might start giving you free rides on all CTA buses (not just the 171 and 172 anymore). Have any of you heard of anything like that?

Not exactly. There is going to be a vote soon on whether or not the law school will be getting UPass, which allows virtually unlimited "free" CTA rides at the cost of approximately $200/year (added to the tuition bill). If it passes, I believe it won't be added until the 2012-2013 school year. For a cost comparison, a one-month unlimited CTA pass is ~$80.

I think UPass is for next year?

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:32 am

Emma. wrote:
California Babe wrote:

I think UPass is for next year?

It might be. I thought I read on the LSA notes that it would be implemented 2012-2013, but I could have just imagined that. I certainly hope it is next year.

deathviaboredom

Postby deathviaboredom » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:46 am

Last edited by deathviaboredom on Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:49 am

deathviaboredom wrote:
Calla Lily wrote:
le_taon wrote:
Calla Lily wrote:\

Ultimately, though, at the end of the day, Chicago's an idea place, not a hands-on place. And that's true of the law school and the university at large. We think that the best education is not apprenticeship, but a mind that's been shaped and honed by sincere grappling with tough ideas. And the numbers show that law firms like Chicago students as attorneys -- so that philosophy can't be totally flawed...

I really appreciate your taking the time to write such a thorough response! You make some great points.

Oh, it can def. be very flawed. Chi success might be from the students' intelligence and the fact that it attracts motivated people, not the type of education.

......????? I don't even

Why was this just posted?

Edit: Where did this even come from?

Calla Lily

Postby Calla Lily » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:56 am

Yeah, you got that quoting wrong...that was supposed to be L_T answering a question for me...and why was that brought up to begin with? I am confused.

Also, I <3 Muenchen and Kiki.
Last edited by Calla Lily on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:56 am

--ImageRemoved--

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:21 am

Last edited by Xifeng on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:22 am

Am I going to be laughed at when I call everything a coke?

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:23 am

Last edited by Xifeng on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”