UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
c0llegeStUd3nt

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby c0llegeStUd3nt » Fri May 30, 2014 12:26 pm

I was looking through reviews on Algonquin and I found this negative review (below) about safety. The review was made 6 years ago and everyone else seems positive, so just want to check to see if this has changed:

"Algonquin apartments are a high risk set of buildings, there are no doormen, no cameras watching the surrounds or inside the buildings. The doors usually stay opened to strangers by late night. In the last 6 months there were two murders inside the complex (a strangled woman and a man thrown from his window at 10th floor). The request of the residents to install cameras is frequent, but the management always have the same procedure: they still say that the building does not need such kind of security, we are safe!!!! The management did not comment on either deaths to any of the residents. They commented about a natural death of a 80 years old resident in a kind note, though. This is a disrespect in my opinion. After two deaths in the same complex and robberies surrounding the building I will move, but I am sincerely sorry for the residents that still have to deal with the negligence of the management."

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Fri May 30, 2014 12:45 pm

c0llegeStUd3nt wrote:I was looking through reviews on Algonquin and I found this negative review (below) about safety. The review was made 6 years ago and everyone else seems positive, so just want to check to see if this has changed:

"Algonquin apartments are a high risk set of buildings, there are no doormen, no cameras watching the surrounds or inside the buildings. The doors usually stay opened to strangers by late night. In the last 6 months there were two murders inside the complex (a strangled woman and a man thrown from his window at 10th floor). The request of the residents to install cameras is frequent, but the management always have the same procedure: they still say that the building does not need such kind of security, we are safe!!!! The management did not comment on either deaths to any of the residents. They commented about a natural death of a 80 years old resident in a kind note, though. This is a disrespect in my opinion. After two deaths in the same complex and robberies surrounding the building I will move, but I am sincerely sorry for the residents that still have to deal with the negligence of the management."

A friend of mine from UG lives in one of the Algonquin buildings. They don't have doormen still, but the vast majority of buildings in Hyde Park don't. I haven't seen the doors left open - I've always had to buzz in every time I've gone over there. Not sure about the cameras, but there definitely haven't been any murders. In other words, they seem about as safe as any Hyde Park building, bar Regents. The review seems like the kind of thing that someone makes when they're disgruntled about whatever other stuff and want people to stay away, especially if you don't see any of the claims repeated in other reviews.

I will say that her apartment is super nice, FWIW. One of those places where everyone who comes over goes, "wow, this is a nice apartment"

eliminatorjr

Postby eliminatorjr » Fri May 30, 2014 3:21 pm

Hey here's a super dumb question: what does the Green Lounge look like on a normal day?

Postby 20141023 » Fri May 30, 2014 3:57 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Florence Night

Postby Florence Night » Fri May 30, 2014 5:28 pm

Definitely more like the latter picture. It looks like the former like the twice a year.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Fri May 30, 2014 6:42 pm

eliminatorjr wrote:Hey here's a super dumb question: what does the Green Lounge look like on a normal day?

Depends on the time of day and what is going on. Usually during lunchtime all the tables are occupied to some degree.

ETA: RC fail on my part. If you just mean how it is arranged, then Reg's 2nd picture is pretty accurate.

c0llegeStUd3nt

Postby c0llegeStUd3nt » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:27 pm

Someone posted earlier in this thread that the only thing he/she might recommend doing during the summer before 1L would be to prepare a resume and some rough draft cover letters for 1L summer job applications.

I found some ok resume guides for a 1L law school resume, but was kindof curious as to what the cover letters would look like (as they seem different than any cover letter I've ever written). Does anyone have a sample cover letter they would be willing to pm me (with personal information redacted as needed, obviously).

Also, are you able to work with career services on this at Chicago during 1L year. What have your experiences been with the availability of career services administrators?

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:14 pm

c0llegeStUd3nt wrote:Someone posted earlier in this thread that the only thing he/she might recommend doing during the summer before 1L would be to prepare a resume and some rough draft cover letters for 1L summer job applications.

I found some ok resume guides for a 1L law school resume, but was kindof curious as to what the cover letters would look like (as they seem different than any cover letter I've ever written). Does anyone have a sample cover letter they would be willing to pm me (with personal information redacted as needed, obviously).

Also, are you able to work with career services on this at Chicago during 1L year. What have your experiences been with the availability of career services administrators?

I don't think they're that different, to be honest. At least mine weren't. But I don't really know if mine were any good. There's a packet of HLS cover letters floating around google (edit: here) that were pretty helpful - they'd be much more useful than anything I could send you, though they're a little intense. IMO they're too long but I'm also not a career advisor, so, grain of salt.

There are two or three times during the year, IIRC, that they have meeting signups on the OCS site. But you can also just meet with them outside of the scheduled periods - it's no big deal. I met with Paul Woo a couple times and found what he said pretty useful - we mostly talked about what kind of story I would tell employers w/r/t my pre-law-school experience, and general career goal stuff. I've also been able to talk to the clerkship folks and found them pretty helpful.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:47 pm

c0llegeStUd3nt wrote:Someone posted earlier in this thread that the only thing he/she might recommend doing during the summer before 1L would be to prepare a resume and some rough draft cover letters for 1L summer job applications.

CSO will meet with you before the 1L job search starts on December 1. They will look at your resume and probably redo like all of it.

CSO is pretty available but in general I've found talking to upperclassmen more helpful since they've actually recently gone through the experience on the ground. But some of the CSO staff are decently helpful, some more than others.

c0llegeStUd3nt

Postby c0llegeStUd3nt » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:25 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:

I don't think they're that different, to be honest. At least mine weren't. But I don't really know if mine were any good. There's a packet of HLS cover letters floating around google (edit: here) that were pretty helpful - they'd be much more useful than anything I could send you, though they're a little intense. IMO they're too long but I'm also not a career advisor, so, grain of salt.

There are two or three times during the year, IIRC, that they have meeting signups on the OCS site. But you can also just meet with them outside of the scheduled periods - it's no big deal. I met with Paul Woo a couple times and found what he said pretty useful - we mostly talked about what kind of story I would tell employers w/r/t my pre-law-school experience, and general career goal stuff. I've also been able to talk to the clerkship folks and found them pretty helpful.

Got it, thanks for the response. The link of samples is very helpful, I guess these cover letters aren't much different than what I am used to writing. I was most confused by what type of balance between undergrad, W/E, and law school stuff I should have, but looking at these clears it up a bit. Thank you!

c0llegeStUd3nt

Postby c0llegeStUd3nt » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:01 pm

Another question that I'm not sure has been answered here:

I am looking at the budget and under medical insurance the school website writes, "*All law students are required to have acceptable medical insurance coverage. Students do not have to join the University's plan if they provide evidence of comparable coverage under their own plan."

Do most people end up having to buy the University plan? For those students who didn't have to get the University plan, what types of medical insurance plans are considered "comparable coverage?"

Also, what would you estimate you paid for textbooks 1L year? (The answer to this question might be more readily available, I am just struggling with the search function).

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:16 pm

c0llegeStUd3nt wrote:Another question that I'm not sure has been answered here:

I am looking at the budget and under medical insurance the school website writes, "*All law students are required to have acceptable medical insurance coverage. Students do not have to join the University's plan if they provide evidence of comparable coverage under their own plan."

Do most people end up having to buy the University plan? For those students who didn't have to get the University plan, what types of medical insurance plans are considered "comparable coverage?"

Also, what would you estimate you paid for textbooks 1L year? (The answer to this question might be more readily available, I am just struggling with the search function).

You have to fill out a form saying what your plan is and it has to have certain coverage (emergency room visits, etc). I haven't heard of anyone who had problems getting their plan "approved", especially given that the coverage comparison stuff is entirely self-reported. Assuming you're under 26, your parents' insurance should be fine.

I was pretty unconcerned with saving money on textbooks since my parents had a college savings fund that they wanted to clear out without taking the penalty. Probably spent about $1000 on the year buying almost every textbook used or new when I couldn't get a decent used copy (or when they were too close in price). But you can be way, way more economical about it. There's a bookserv where upperclassmen sell their stuff at a very big discount. One thing I did do and highly recommend is getting old versions when there aren't many changes - I got the previous edition of my Ks book for like $1.50 and it had 95% of the cases compared to the current edition, which cost $200. There are reference editions of every textbook in the library, too, so if you need to wait a week or two for a cheap used edition to come in it's possible to do all your reading with those. I imagine book cost would run higher if buying supplements, but fuck that.

Postby 20141023 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:49 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 2014 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:01 am

There is guidance somewhere about what comparable is. Ultimately you just have to certify it's comparable anyway, no one inspects it, so as long as you have insurance you should be fine.

I spent like 600 i think 1L year. That was for all used books except Crim which was brand new at the time.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:47 pm

2014 wrote:

There is guidance somewhere about what comparable is. Ultimately you just have to certify it's comparable anyway, no one inspects it, so as long as you have insurance you should be fine.

I spent like 600 i think 1L year. That was for all used books except Crim which was brand new at the time.

https://studenthealth.uchicago.edu/page ... -2013-2014 bottom of the page.

That said, I've also never heard of them actually auditing someone's health insurance to make sure that it actually fulfills the requirements.

Canof09

Postby Canof09 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:08 pm

Just curious if anyone here has any thoughts/input on the Patino Fellowship. Does pretty much everyone end up applying or is it only a small number of students? I submitted my application about a week ago and was just wondering if anyone has a feel for how competitive this thing is.

From what I understand, they select ~10 finalists and then interview them pretty rigorously to select the winner. Anybody go through the interview last year? Feel free to PM me if you would rather do that.

Looking forward to meeting you guys in a few months.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:11 pm

2L's, do you know if the Doctoroff classes the law school is offering next year counts against the 12-credit limit to taking classes across the midway?

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:53 pm

Rahviveh wrote:2L's, do you know if the Doctoroff classes the law school is offering next year counts against the 12-credit limit to taking classes across the midway?

1L obviously, but at the Doctoroff talk a couple weeks back, Douglas promised that those classes will not count against the limit.

Postby 20141023 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:56 pm

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:20 pm

I would hope there are at least four Doctoroff classes available. That way I can have 4 Doctoroff classes next year and 4 ATM classes my 3L year, or vice versa. Better yet the LSA should work on getting that limit raised.

Postby 20141023 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:50 pm

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:05 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
Rahviveh wrote:I would hope there are at least four Doctoroff classes available. That way I can have 4 Doctoroff classes next year and 4 ATM classes my 3L year, or vice versa. Better yet the LSA should work on getting that limit raised.
lol yeah... I would be more than willing to take as few law school classes as possible over the next 2 years. Especially if they're taught by Judge Wood.

Hopefully, after tomorrow, nobody ever has to wake up before 8:30 in the morning for law school again.

Jaqen

Postby Jaqen » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:07 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
Rahviveh wrote:I would hope there are at least four Doctoroff classes available. That way I can have 4 Doctoroff classes next year and 4 ATM classes my 3L year, or vice versa. Better yet the LSA should work on getting that limit raised.
lol yeah... I would be more than willing to take as few law school classes as possible over the next 2 years. Especially if they're taught by Judge Wood.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:09 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:

I think your hatred of Wood might even surpass my dislike of Ferzan. It's actually kinda impressive.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:10 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:

I think your hatred of Wood might even surpass my dislike of Ferzan. It's actually kinda impressive.

Start your brief.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”