UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Crowing » Mon May 19, 2014 6:58 pm

Keep in mind with the way 1L is structured here, fall quarter is pretty much a vacation and you will have plenty of opportunity to learn how to law school then.

User avatar
WhiteyCakes
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby WhiteyCakes » Mon May 19, 2014 7:00 pm

Crowing wrote:Keep in mind with the way 1L is structured here, fall quarter is pretty much a vacation and you will have plenty of opportunity to learn how to law school then.


Big fan if the new avi

random number
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby random number » Mon May 19, 2014 7:02 pm

Thanks! When I looked earlier Enterprise seemed cheaper, but I was concerned about the difficulty of finding local cars.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby midwest17 » Mon May 19, 2014 7:05 pm

random number wrote:Thanks! When I looked earlier Enterprise seemed cheaper, but I was concerned about the difficulty of finding local cars.


If you use ZipCar, make sure you get the UChicago discount. I don't know if a similar thing exists for Enterprise.

With both of them you should be able to see where the locations are and compare it to where you live before you sign up.

random number
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby random number » Mon May 19, 2014 7:06 pm

midwest17 wrote:
random number wrote:Thanks! When I looked earlier Enterprise seemed cheaper, but I was concerned about the difficulty of finding local cars.


If you use ZipCar, make sure you get the UChicago discount. I don't know if a similar thing exists for Enterprise.

With both of them you should be able to see where the locations are and compare it to where you live before you sign up.


Thanks for the info - I hadn't seen the student discount.

User avatar
applelover
Posts: 1921
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby applelover » Mon May 19, 2014 7:44 pm

Crowing wrote:Keep in mind with the way 1L is structured here, fall quarter is pretty much a vacation and you will have plenty of opportunity to learn how to law school then.


Thanks!

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5913
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby 2014 » Mon May 19, 2014 9:09 pm

Neal Patrick Harris wrote:The posters giving you advice are 1Ls in spring quarter

No

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby 20141023 » Mon May 19, 2014 11:44 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neal Patrick Harris
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Neal Patrick Harris » Mon May 19, 2014 11:58 pm

2014 wrote:
Neal Patrick Harris wrote:The posters giving you advice are 1Ls in spring quarter

No


Boop, terrible, mal.

Let's play a game called name that 2L/3L/Grad. I don't even go here anymore and I can tell from the thread...

User avatar
applelover
Posts: 1921
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby applelover » Tue May 20, 2014 5:25 am

kappycaft1 wrote:Awwww man... I take a short 5-hour nap and I miss all the ass burgers action in this thread. That's okay, though, because I am able to contribute to the ass burgers with each post I make.

Don't contribute

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby 20141023 » Tue May 20, 2014 5:45 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
applelover
Posts: 1921
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby applelover » Tue May 20, 2014 5:57 am

kappycaft1 wrote:
applelover wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:Awwww man... I take a short 5-hour nap and I miss all the ass burgers action in this thread. That's okay, though, because I am able to contribute to the ass burgers with each post I make.
Don't contribute
:(

:D

User avatar
eliminatorjr
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:55 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby eliminatorjr » Fri May 23, 2014 9:59 am

So if I don't live at Regents, will I have any problems catching the buses at different stops? I realize it probably depends, but are there any areas where the CTA is always really packed?

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby 20141023 » Fri May 23, 2014 10:32 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby midwest17 » Fri May 23, 2014 11:06 am

kappycaft1 wrote:
eliminatorjr wrote:So if I don't live at Regents, will I have any problems catching the buses at different stops? I realize it probably depends, but are there any areas where the CTA is always really packed?
Depends on the bus / time / location. For example, in the mornings, as the 172 approaches the law school, it get progressively more packed.


If it's right before a lot of undergrad classes start, the 171 is sometimes too full to pick people up once it passes TI (especially when it's cold out).

User avatar
Ricky-Bobby
Posts: 1151
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Fri May 23, 2014 10:09 pm

How do employers find out your grades at OCI? I know GPA isn't allowed on your resume and you're "not allowed" to estimate class rank in interviews, so do they rely on signaling like LR and K&E Scholars? How do they know who's median and who's above?

This probably has a simple answer, but I can't find it.

User avatar
Jaqen
Posts: 958
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Jaqen » Fri May 23, 2014 10:12 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:How do employers find out your grades at OCI? I know GPA isn't allowed on your resume and you're "not allowed" to estimate class rank in interviews, so do they rely on signaling like LR and K&E Scholars? How do they know who's median and who's above?

This probably has a simple answer, but I can't find it.


Transcript.

User avatar
Ricky-Bobby
Posts: 1151
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Fri May 23, 2014 10:19 pm

Oh well that defeats the whole "no gpa on the resume" thing then, huh?

Obviously you give them a transcript. Man I'm dumb.

WheninLaw
Posts: 612
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby WheninLaw » Sat May 24, 2014 12:06 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:How do employers find out your grades at OCI? I know GPA isn't allowed on your resume and you're "not allowed" to estimate class rank in interviews, so do they rely on signaling like LR and K&E Scholars? How do they know who's median and who's above?

This probably has a simple answer, but I can't find it.


My favorite interviews were the ones in which they calculated my average in front of me. One did it with an old school calculator. Boss.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby midwest17 » Sat May 24, 2014 12:12 pm

WheninLaw wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:How do employers find out your grades at OCI? I know GPA isn't allowed on your resume and you're "not allowed" to estimate class rank in interviews, so do they rely on signaling like LR and K&E Scholars? How do they know who's median and who's above?

This probably has a simple answer, but I can't find it.


My favorite interviews were the ones in which they calculated my average in front of me. One did it with an old school calculator. Boss.


Does the no GPA on resumes rule extend to all applications, or is it just an OCI thing?

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Crowing » Sat May 24, 2014 12:13 pm

midwest17 wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:How do employers find out your grades at OCI? I know GPA isn't allowed on your resume and you're "not allowed" to estimate class rank in interviews, so do they rely on signaling like LR and K&E Scholars? How do they know who's median and who's above?

This probably has a simple answer, but I can't find it.


My favorite interviews were the ones in which they calculated my average in front of me. One did it with an old school calculator. Boss.


Does the no GPA on resumes rule extend to all applications, or is it just an OCI thing?


All afaik. I know we weren't supposed to for the 1L job search anyway.

WheninLaw
Posts: 612
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby WheninLaw » Sat May 24, 2014 12:17 pm

midwest17 wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:How do employers find out your grades at OCI? I know GPA isn't allowed on your resume and you're "not allowed" to estimate class rank in interviews, so do they rely on signaling like LR and K&E Scholars? How do they know who's median and who's above?

This probably has a simple answer, but I can't find it.


My favorite interviews were the ones in which they calculated my average in front of me. One did it with an old school calculator. Boss.


Does the no GPA on resumes rule extend to all applications, or is it just an OCI thing?


Does not extend to everything - I was told to put it on my Clerkship applications (and did).

actexas
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:28 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby actexas » Fri May 30, 2014 6:12 am

Sorry if this question has been asked before, what does a shared two bed rooms apartment cost to live on campus? And one bedroom for just myself? (For min/max spending question)
Is there a housing application deadline?
Thanks

c0llegeStUd3nt
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:11 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby c0llegeStUd3nt » Fri May 30, 2014 12:26 pm

I was looking through reviews on Algonquin and I found this negative review (below) about safety. The review was made 6 years ago and everyone else seems positive, so just want to check to see if this has changed:

"Algonquin apartments are a high risk set of buildings, there are no doormen, no cameras watching the surrounds or inside the buildings. The doors usually stay opened to strangers by late night. In the last 6 months there were two murders inside the complex (a strangled woman and a man thrown from his window at 10th floor). The request of the residents to install cameras is frequent, but the management always have the same procedure: they still say that the building does not need such kind of security, we are safe!!!! The management did not comment on either deaths to any of the residents. They commented about a natural death of a 80 years old resident in a kind note, though. This is a disrespect in my opinion. After two deaths in the same complex and robberies surrounding the building I will move, but I am sincerely sorry for the residents that still have to deal with the negligence of the management."

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1269
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby beepboopbeep » Fri May 30, 2014 12:45 pm

c0llegeStUd3nt wrote:I was looking through reviews on Algonquin and I found this negative review (below) about safety. The review was made 6 years ago and everyone else seems positive, so just want to check to see if this has changed:

"Algonquin apartments are a high risk set of buildings, there are no doormen, no cameras watching the surrounds or inside the buildings. The doors usually stay opened to strangers by late night. In the last 6 months there were two murders inside the complex (a strangled woman and a man thrown from his window at 10th floor). The request of the residents to install cameras is frequent, but the management always have the same procedure: they still say that the building does not need such kind of security, we are safe!!!! The management did not comment on either deaths to any of the residents. They commented about a natural death of a 80 years old resident in a kind note, though. This is a disrespect in my opinion. After two deaths in the same complex and robberies surrounding the building I will move, but I am sincerely sorry for the residents that still have to deal with the negligence of the management."


A friend of mine from UG lives in one of the Algonquin buildings. They don't have doormen still, but the vast majority of buildings in Hyde Park don't. I haven't seen the doors left open - I've always had to buzz in every time I've gone over there. Not sure about the cameras, but there definitely haven't been any murders. In other words, they seem about as safe as any Hyde Park building, bar Regents. The review seems like the kind of thing that someone makes when they're disgruntled about whatever other stuff and want people to stay away, especially if you don't see any of the claims repeated in other reviews.

I will say that her apartment is super nice, FWIW. One of those places where everyone who comes over goes, "wow, this is a nice apartment"




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest