UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
eliminatorjr

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby eliminatorjr » Sat May 17, 2014 9:51 am

applelover, I'll date you.

applelover

Postby applelover » Sat May 17, 2014 11:10 am

So, do most of you know each other IRL?

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Sat May 17, 2014 11:51 am

All the 1Ls do, except for Mal who thought I was a black dude for most of the year. But I have no idea who any of the 2L/3L poasters are IRL.

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Sat May 17, 2014 12:26 pm

applelover wrote:So, do most of you know each other IRL?

No idea who anyone is except for one 3L. And I know him only because he pissed off people in the OCI thread and was outed.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Sat May 17, 2014 12:43 pm

WheninLaw wrote:

No idea who anyone is except for one 3L. And I know him only because he pissed off people in the OCI thread and was outed.

Storytime?

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Sat May 17, 2014 1:57 pm

I don't know any of the 2Ls

applelover

Postby applelover » Sat May 17, 2014 2:46 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:All the 1Ls do, except for Mal who thought I was a black dude for most of the year. But I have no idea who any of the 2L/3L poasters are IRL.

I Lol'd IRL. What made you think that?

Do people at the law school never mention TLS? Because that's all some people talked about at ASW.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Sat May 17, 2014 2:57 pm

applelover wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:All the 1Ls do, except for Mal who thought I was a black dude for most of the year. But I have no idea who any of the 2L/3L poasters are IRL.

Do people at the law school never mention TLS? Because that's all some people talked about at ASW.

No he thought that, not me.

Not very often except to make fun of shit like the person complaining about immature people who go home for Easter. I mean us regular posters are a small minority. Most people have only a passing familiarity with TLS. But I think not knowing who the 2Ls/3Ls are is more a result of just not interacting with them very much, since the 1L doctrinal classes are all filled with 1Ls only, aside from the hilarious LLMs who want to derail class discussion to talk about Voltaire.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sat May 17, 2014 3:00 pm

I just confused him for someone else. It would out some people if I said more. I think I know all of the 3L posters personally. There are some legendary 3L posters. I know who a lot of the 2Ls are but we mostly don't acknowledge this fact. But I've PMed most of them about various things and they are always willing to help and they are always really nice. TLS isn't as big of a deal as 0Ls make it out to be. Most of my nonTLS friends just barely found out I posted on here. Nobody really cares either way. We had internet in class this week and I browsed TLS pretty consistently. Either people judge me or they don't even know what it is.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Sat May 17, 2014 3:30 pm

applelover wrote:

I was wondering if I met you at ASW, but this makes me think I didn't. I never heard anyone talk about TLS. It was nice.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Sat May 17, 2014 3:38 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:I just confused him for someone else. It would out some people if I said more. I think I know all of the 3L posters personally. There are some legendary 3L posters. I know who a lot of the 2Ls are but we mostly don't acknowledge this fact. But I've PMed most of them about various things and they are always willing to help and they are always really nice. TLS isn't as big of a deal as 0Ls make it out to be. Most of my nonTLS friends just barely found out I posted on here. Nobody really cares either way. We had internet in class this week and I browsed TLS pretty consistently. Either people judge me or they don't even know what it is.

Is having access to internet in class rare?

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sat May 17, 2014 3:42 pm

midwest17 wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:I just confused him for someone else. It would out some people if I said more. I think I know all of the 3L posters personally. There are some legendary 3L posters. I know who a lot of the 2Ls are but we mostly don't acknowledge this fact. But I've PMed most of them about various things and they are always willing to help and they are always really nice. TLS isn't as big of a deal as 0Ls make it out to be. Most of my nonTLS friends just barely found out I posted on here. Nobody really cares either way. We had internet in class this week and I browsed TLS pretty consistently. Either people judge me or they don't even know what it is.

It's always turned off except for a few days when we can do teach evals online in class. Also for ASW so the admits don't suspect anything.

Welcome to U Chicago!

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Sat May 17, 2014 3:43 pm

midwest17 wrote:

There is no internet in class except during course evaluations.

I think Mal and I know the most TLSers because we've been active in the lounge and in other activities outside TLS with TLSers. But yeah nobody talks about TLS irl. I'm fine with other posters knowing me but I'd rather not be outed to all the lurkers.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Sat May 17, 2014 3:43 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
midwest17 wrote:

It's always turned off except for a few days when we can do teach evals online in class. Also for ASW so the admits don't suspect anything.

Welcome to U Chicago!

Hopefully it'll be good for my productivity, at least. I have serious problems with internet in class.

applelover

Postby applelover » Sat May 17, 2014 3:45 pm

Oh okay. I completely misread beep's post. But that's understandable. I've discovered who a few of you IRL through various stories people have told me.

And Ricky, we might have met, but because of how few AAF's were present at ASW and because I put no effort into looking nice during ASW, I won't out myself. I tried not to bring up TLS, some of the people I mixed and mingled with did though. One person even mentioned it while we were talking to someone from admissions and the admissions person's initial reaction was not pleasant.

applelover

Postby applelover » Sat May 17, 2014 3:47 pm

midwest17 wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
midwest17 wrote:

Welcome to U Chicago!

Hopefully it'll be good for my productivity, at least. I have serious problems with internet in class.

I think the internet was off for ASW. At least that's what we were told during our tour. Also, I noticed that cell service sucks in the classrooms, so I'll have superrrrrr detailed notes.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sat May 17, 2014 3:49 pm

applelover wrote:One person even mentioned it while we were talking to someone from admissions and the admissions person's initial reaction was not pleasant.

Go on.

skers

Postby skers » Sat May 17, 2014 3:51 pm

Yeah, it's really hard to remember how much you love the law when the internet's on.

applelover

Postby applelover » Sat May 17, 2014 3:53 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
applelover wrote:One person even mentioned it while we were talking to someone from admissions and the admissions person's initial reaction was not pleasant.

Go on.

Another 0L, who isn't even going to UChi, and I went over to speak with someone from admissions and we started talking about the admissions process and UChi and the person mentioned how helpful TLS had been and yada yada and immediately the admissions person sort of cringed and then tried to recover. It became so awkward after that and I was so embarrassed because I knew that I was going to be attending the Law School and s/he wasn't. Hopefully that admissions rep forgets all about that interaction come fall.

applelover

Postby applelover » Sat May 17, 2014 3:58 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:Yeah, it's really hard to remember how much you love the law when the internet's on.

Lol. I'd probably be on Facebook most of the class TBH. When I found out there was no wifi during school hours, I planned to use my phone as a hotspot, but because there's no service, that won't work.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sat May 17, 2014 4:01 pm

There's always internet. Just never in classrooms. And service is hit or miss. Some people tether their phones with bluetooth and some are even so bold as to bring ethernet cords.

applelover

Postby applelover » Sat May 17, 2014 4:08 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:There's always internet. Just never in classrooms. And service is hit or miss. Some people tether their phones with bluetooth and some are even so bold as to bring ethernet cords.

ethernet cords? that's too much.

Postby 20141023 » Sat May 17, 2014 7:59 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Sat May 17, 2014 8:03 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:Wait... Is there actually a place under the desks to plug in an Ethernet cord next to the power outlets, or are you joking, Mal?

There is. Go to any 2L/3L class and you will see a lot of Ethernet cables.

applelover

Postby applelover » Sat May 17, 2014 8:13 pm

WheninLaw wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:Wait... Is there actually a place under the desks to plug in an Ethernet cord next to the power outlets, or are you joking, Mal?

There is. Go to any 2L/3L class and you will see a lot of Ethernet cables.

And on Monday, kappycaft1 will walk into class with an Ethernet cord in his hand.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”