UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
beepboopbeep

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby beepboopbeep » Fri May 02, 2014 7:56 pm

midwest17 wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
midwest17 wrote:Email about setting up CNetIDs just arrived.

Just set mine up! Ya'll can email me at blazeit420sk8er@uchicago.edu

You can actually set up aliases for ridiculous @uchicago.edu email addresses at https://cnet.uchicago.edu/mailAliasing/

I just checked and 420noscope@uchicago.edu was available.

You can also use this trick for additional free student Prime. Not that anyone I know would do that, nope.

Also, fair warning: helpdesk@uchicago.edu will not necessarily be particularly helpful. :P

Wait, that's brilliant. Great tip.

Postby 20141023 » Fri May 02, 2014 10:32 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

applelover

Postby applelover » Fri May 02, 2014 11:30 pm

I now have a UChi email! :D

Now I need to think of a cool alias.

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Wed May 07, 2014 8:10 pm

Is $100k the typical biglaw starting salary in Chicago?

Postby 2014 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:45 pm

drawstring wrote:Is $100k the typical biglaw starting salary in Chicago?

No, it's relatively split between $145k and $160k and the firms that hire the biggest classes are basically all at $160k with a few exceptions.

applelover

Postby applelover » Thu May 08, 2014 10:26 pm

Does anyone ITT have a zip car membership? Is it worth it if I just plan on using it for trips to the grocery store?

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu May 08, 2014 10:51 pm

applelover wrote:Does anyone ITT have a zip car membership? Is it worth it if I just plan on using it for trips to the grocery store?

Yeah it's worth it for Trader Joe's/Target/Whole Foods trips. I usually take the 171 from school to Treasure Island to the Del Prado stop and then walk over to regents. But that's a pain in the ass if I'm carrying a lot of groceries. So I usually bum a ride off of a friend with a car. But treasure island is fucking expensive for what you get. Hyde Park produce has better produce but they have jack shit selection for dry grocery type stuff. So the best bang for your buck is some combination of TJ's, Target, and Costco.

There is a zip car stop right by regents I believe.

Postby 20141023 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:00 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Thu May 08, 2014 11:44 pm

Emma. wrote:
c0llegeStUd3nt wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
c0llegeStUd3nt wrote:I know the recent big law numbers were very positive, but anecdotally, what types of students get big law?

Specifically, if you are at or below median how common is it to get big law?

It is still common to get big law at/below median. It will require more hustle, a focus on your interviewing skills, and smart bidding (NY), but the opportunity is there. I can only think of a couple people that wanted big law and didn't get it, and it was not because of grades.

edit: it is hard for employers to figure out who is a a little under/over/at median due to our quirky grades. My experience is they lump people into the following categories: very bad grades (not common), median grades (huge chunk), good grades, great grades.

Awesome, thanks for answering the question! Especially curious because big law Chicago/NYC is my end goal.

Follow-up interviewing question. I don't actually have any ties to Chicago, except for the fact I will be attending UChicago, but I am very interested in living/settling down in Chicago after graduation. Is attending UChicago and saying you want to be in Chicago enough to be considered "ties" in a big law interview? (Sorry if this is a stupid question, I am new to this topic)

Not a stupid question. Yeah, attending UChicago is enough of a "tie" as far as firms are concerned.

Do other students agree with this? I've read a few threads suggesting that Chicago biglaw is difficult to crack for students without ties to the area, even if they attend NU or UChi.

applelover

Postby applelover » Thu May 08, 2014 11:57 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:Yeah it's worth it for Trader Joe's/Target/Whole Foods trips. I usually take the 171 from school to Treasure Island to the Del Prado stop and then walk over to regents. But that's a pain in the ass if I'm carrying a lot of groceries. So I usually bum a ride off of a friend with a car. But treasure island is fucking expensive for what you get. Hyde Park produce has better produce but they have jack shit selection for dry grocery type stuff. So the best bang for your buck is some combination of TJ's, Target, and Costco.

There is a zip car stop right by regents I believe.
Mal is too cool for rolley backpacks, and these.

(I tried to convince my wife that we should get one, and she was like, "I think I'll stick with carrying our groceries by hand." :lol: )

Haha. I just might have to get one of those carts because I definitely won't be carrying anything more than juice or milk from treasure island to Shoreland.

I'll probably have to get the zipcar membership for my trips to Sam's Club. I doubt anyone would let me bum a ride that far. Maybe I can find someone else to make the trips with and split the cost.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Fri May 09, 2014 9:46 am

applelover wrote:Does anyone ITT have a zip car membership? Is it worth it if I just plan on using it for trips to the grocery store?

There's a student discount so the membership is only like $15/year, and then cars are only about $10/hour. You can easily save enough money on a big trip to Costco to make it worth it. Splitting the cost with someone else who also wants to go shopping is a good idea too.

applelover

Postby applelover » Fri May 09, 2014 11:14 am

midwest17 wrote:

There's a student discount so the membership is only like $15/year, and then cars are only about $10/hour. You can easily save enough money on a big trip to Costco to make it worth it. Splitting the cost with someone else who also wants to go shopping is a good idea too.

Thanks! I didn't know about the student discount.

applelover

Postby applelover » Fri May 09, 2014 11:15 am

Do any of you 1Ls have a SA position for this summer?

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Fri May 09, 2014 9:12 pm

applelover wrote:Do any of you 1Ls have a SA position for this summer?

Yeah, I have one. I haven't asked a ton of people what they're doing, but I know there are a few of us, at least.

Postby 20141023 » Fri May 09, 2014 9:50 pm

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Fri May 09, 2014 9:58 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:
Yeah, I have one. I haven't asked a ton of people what they're doing, but I know there are a few of us, at least.
I don't talk to a lot of people outside of our core TLS group / my section at school, so there's a good chance I just don't know them, but elterrible78 is the only other non-URM person I know who has a biglaw 1L SA this summer. Do you guys know of any other non-URMs in your sections that are going that route this summer?

I know of some Texas non urm people

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri May 09, 2014 9:58 pm

We don't count Texas people here.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Fri May 09, 2014 10:00 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:
I don't talk to a lot of people outside of our core TLS group / my section at school, so there's a good chance I just don't know them, but elterrible78 is the only other non-URM person I know who has a biglaw 1L SA this summer. Do you guys know of any other non-URMs in your sections that are going that route this summer?

I know of a non-URM going to a firm in Idaho this summer. I can't remember which firm, and I'm not sure it's a biglaw firm or not, although I think it is.

Postby 20141023 » Fri May 09, 2014 10:23 pm

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Fri May 09, 2014 10:30 pm

Speaking of Texas- how do people without strong ties fair with 1L SAs? How about 2L? Does someone at median stand a decent chance of landing Baker Botts, etc?

Postby 20141023 » Fri May 09, 2014 10:45 pm

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Fri May 09, 2014 10:57 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:Speaking of Texas- how do people without strong ties fair with 1L SAs? How about 2L? Does someone at median stand a decent chance of landing Baker Botts, etc?
Even if you have ties to Texas, your chances of landing a 1L SA are never "good," period. Make sure to apply to a wide variety of jobs for your 1L summer, especially clinics - those will allow you to stay in Chicago during the summer, which IMO would be awesome.

How competitive are the clinics 1L summer? What are the decisions based on?

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Fri May 09, 2014 11:05 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:Speaking of Texas- how do people without strong ties fair with 1L SAs? How about 2L? Does someone at median stand a decent chance of landing Baker Botts, etc?
Even if you have ties to Texas, your chances of landing a 1L SA are never "good," period. Make sure to apply to a wide variety of jobs for your 1L summer, especially clinics - those will allow you to stay in Chicago during the summer, which IMO would be awesome.

Oh yeah, didn't mean to imply good chances. Just wondering if it's at all possible, given Texas's proclivity for giving out 1L SAs. I will cast a wide net either way. Thanks, kappycaft1.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Fri May 09, 2014 11:30 pm

midwest17 wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:

How competitive are the clinics 1L summer? What are the decisions based on?

Most people I know who wanted one got one, though our TLS group probably has a disproportionately high number of the clinic spots (incl both of the Federal Criminal Justice people). I got an RA gig before the hiring for clinics went out, but based on my interview I think I wasn't going to be getting one. Then again I'm shocked the prof I'll be working for hired me; it was a pretty bad interview.

kappycaft1 wrote:

+1. 1L summer hiring is odd. I don't know anyone without a job at this point but lots are doing things that maybe weren't first choices. USAOs/Gov gigs are quite competitive (and those who got those are not who I'd have expected). I also don't know anyone other than you or elterrible with an SA but mostly I've talked to people who are doing clinics, RA, or businessy stuff.

Hyde Park is an awesome place during the summer. Way better than it is the rest of the year. The neighborhood comes alive. You'll be shocked how many people actually live here.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Fri May 09, 2014 11:32 pm

WheninLaw wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:Just as a heads up, some 1L electives allowed a paper option last year and I imagine it's the same this go-around.

No paper options this year. A shame, considering the median in those classes is 178. I strongly suggest everyone take Epstein for the lulz.

Several months later, this was a fantastic recommendation.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”