UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
beepboopbeep

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby beepboopbeep » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:06 pm

I've lived in Hyde Park since 2007 and have not owned a car any of those years. I don't think it's necessary and I've heard some big complaints about parking. But especially if you can get a place that has a reserved spot or easy street parking, it's a big convenience in Chicago in general. Especially w/r/t getting groceries.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:04 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:I've lived in Hyde Park since 2007 and have not owned a car any of those years. I don't think it's necessary and I've heard some big complaints about parking. But especially if you can get a place that has a reserved spot or easy street parking, it's a big convenience in Chicago in general. Especially w/r/t getting groceries.

If you're near TI or HPP, a car is not necessary (unless there's something different about law school that makes a car more helpful). I do have Zipcar ($15 annual fee and then about $10 an hour) that I use for the occasional Costco run, which is nice. I wouldn't want to pay for car insurance on a student budget, but it depends on your debt tolerance.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:20 pm

midwest17 wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:I've lived in Hyde Park since 2007 and have not owned a car any of those years. I don't think it's necessary and I've heard some big complaints about parking. But especially if you can get a place that has a reserved spot or easy street parking, it's a big convenience in Chicago in general. Especially w/r/t getting groceries.

If you're near TI or HPP, a car is not necessary (unless there's something different about law school that makes a car more helpful). I do have Zipcar ($15 annual fee and then about $10 an hour) that I use for the occasional Costco run, which is nice. I wouldn't want to pay for car insurance on a student budget, but it depends on your debt tolerance.

Still agreed it's not necessary, but the grocery convenience is more because TI/HPP both suck in their own ways (TI being super expensive and HPP not having some really basic grocery store stuff, like cereal). You can do TJ's runs without a car but it's much more of a pain. Once we get the Whole Foods things will be better.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:30 pm

actexas wrote:
actexas wrote:Excuse me if this question has been asked.
Is it a good idea to bring my car to Chicago? I plan to stay on campus (at least first year) unless there is a big saving with sharing a place someone and somewhere else.
(female)

Thanks

I have found "car no car" question and answer. Looks like having a car is a better option even for 1L student.

I'll just echo the statements of those who say they've gotten by just fine without a car. It would definitely be convenient, on the one hand. On the other hand, parking is a bitch and/or expensive, I wouldn't use the car nearly enough to justify the expense and hassle, and my feets and public transportation get me pretty much anywhere I want to go. I'll grab an iGo car occasionally, but beyond that, I don't think it's necessary at all.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:33 pm

elterrible78 wrote:
actexas wrote:
Is it a good idea to bring my car to Chicago? I plan to stay on campus (at least first year) unless there is a big saving with sharing a place someone and somewhere else.
(female)

Thanks

I have found "car no car" question and answer. Looks like having a car is a better option even for 1L student.

I'll just echo the statements of those who say they've gotten by just fine without a car. It would definitely be convenient, on the one hand. On the other hand, parking is a bitch and/or expensive, I wouldn't use the car nearly enough to justify the expense and hassle, and my feets and public transportation get me pretty much anywhere I want to go. I'll grab an iGo car occasionally, but beyond that, I don't think it's necessary at all.

God damnit that is a fantastic avatar

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:36 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
midwest17 wrote:

Still agreed it's not necessary, but the grocery convenience is more because TI/HPP both suck in their own ways (TI being super expensive and HPP not having some really basic grocery store stuff, like cereal). You can do TJ's runs without a car but it's much more of a pain. Once we get the Whole Foods things will be better.

I'm not sure you'd save enough in TJ over TI to make it worth it, but I haven't run the numbers or anything.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:36 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:
actexas wrote:
(female)

Thanks

God damnit that is a fantastic avatar

Lucky there was a photographer in the room that day.

Postby 20141023 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:40 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

actexas

Postby actexas » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:57 pm

How much cost to park as living in campus apartment?

Postby 2014 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:26 pm

actexas wrote:How much cost to park as living in campus apartment?

Regents is $175 a month I think, most other private buildings are roughly the same I believe but make sure to ask whether it's indoor or outdoor parking since that is a HUGE deal (Regents is a garage - anyone can buy a spot there not just residents).

School parking is like $240 a quarter I think and if you live on campus like in NewGrad I assume that's what you would do. Those are outdoor lots.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Fri May 02, 2014 12:06 pm

How open is Chicago for post deposit $$$ negotiation?

I currently got reserved by Cornell, I am just wondering is it worth to pursue this in hopes for a full ride to negotiate for Chicago for more $$$. I feel like I have been lowballed, less $$$ than mylsn average, but I dont have any other offers to leverage for more.

Postby 2014 » Fri May 02, 2014 12:34 pm

lawschool2014hopeful wrote:How open is Chicago for post deposit $$$ negotiation?

I currently got reserved by Cornell, I am just wondering is it worth to pursue this in hopes for a full ride to negotiate for Chicago for more $$$. I feel like I have been lowballed, less $$$ than mylsn average, but I dont have any other offers to leverage for more.

I think it has happened before but you would need some credible way to threaten to defect. Cornell full ride might work.

I think the scholly numbers are some combination of lower across the board and more holistic this year (unfortunately?)

applelover

Postby applelover » Fri May 02, 2014 12:43 pm

So, I deposited weeks ago. What's the next information or form I should receive from the school?

When do you get your email and fall schedule?

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Fri May 02, 2014 4:52 pm

applelover wrote:So, I deposited weeks ago. What's the next information or form I should receive from the school?

They will send out a monthly email with updates. Probably not getting your schedule for a while - you don't start for almost five months. I'd enjoy the silence while it lasts.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Fri May 02, 2014 4:58 pm

WheninLaw wrote:
applelover wrote:So, I deposited weeks ago. What's the next information or form I should receive from the school?

They will send out a monthly email with updates. Probably not getting your schedule for a while - you don't start for almost five months. I'd enjoy the silence while it lasts.

Email about setting up CNetIDs just arrived.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Fri May 02, 2014 5:16 pm

midwest17 wrote:Email about setting up CNetIDs just arrived.

Just set mine up! Ya'll can email me at blazeit420sk8er@uchicago.edu

hdunlop

Postby hdunlop » Fri May 02, 2014 5:36 pm

ugh. no wonder it was taken.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Fri May 02, 2014 5:48 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:

You can actually set up aliases for ridiculous @uchicago.edu email addresses at https://cnet.uchicago.edu/mailAliasing/

I just checked and 420noscope@uchicago.edu was available.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Fri May 02, 2014 5:57 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:

You can actually set up aliases for ridiculous @uchicago.edu email addresses at https://cnet.uchicago.edu/mailAliasing/

That is awesome. Now I just need to be creative enough to think of something that's actually funny.

orangec90

Postby orangec90 » Fri May 02, 2014 7:00 pm

midwest17 wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:

Email about setting up CNetIDs just arrived.

How do I change my display name (not the actual address)? Don't want it showing all of my middle names...thanks parents :?

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Fri May 02, 2014 7:01 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:

You can also use this trick for additional free student Prime. Not that anyone I know would do that, nope.

Also, fair warning: helpdesk@uchicago.edu will not necessarily be particularly helpful. :P

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Fri May 02, 2014 7:08 pm

orangec90 wrote:How do I change my display name (not the actual address)? Don't want it showing all of my middle names...thanks parents :?

You can set a preferred name on my.uchicago.edu -> "My Information." Not sure what that affects, though.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Fri May 02, 2014 7:10 pm

Ha! I can't believe they would let helpdesk be aliased. Seems like a huge security risk.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Fri May 02, 2014 7:21 pm

Anyone else amused by the insistence that you not share your email address with anyone? ;)

Please note that the CNetID serves as the basis for your official University e-mail address. Also, CNetIDs cannot be changed for any reason, so pick something that can be used on your resume and in the Law School phone directory. Do not share it, write it down, or save it on your computer.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Fri May 02, 2014 7:29 pm

I'm more concerned with the administrator access if you use the Gmail app.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”