UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ellewoods110

Re: UChi 1Ls - 2 Quarters Down (!!) & Taking Questions

Postby ellewoods110 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:16 am

You buy wine mess "money"... a little piece of paper with beer bottles on it. I think for $10 you get 30 little bottles on your paper. A cheap beer (like bud light) costs 2 bottles, and a good beer or other drink usually costs 3 bottles. So you can get 10 drinks for 10 bucks roughly.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:02 am

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:33 pm

ellewoods110 wrote:You buy wine mess "money"... a little piece of paper with beer bottles on it. I think for $10 you get 30 little bottles on your paper. A cheap beer (like bud light) costs 2 bottles, and a good beer or other drink usually costs 3 bottles. So you can get 10 drinks for 10 bucks roughly.

I love wine mess maybe a little too much.

The drinks are super stiff and you get awesome beers for a buck.

le_taon

Postby le_taon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:33 pm

ellewoods110 wrote:You buy wine mess "money"... a little piece of paper with beer bottles on it. I think for $10 you get 30 little bottles on your paper. A cheap beer (like bud light) costs 2 bottles, and a good beer or other drink usually costs 3 bottles. So you can get 10 drinks for 10 bucks roughly.

Yeah, I think the law school felt that direct subsidization of alcohol got a bit iffy in terms of liability and other issues. So I think the money that was going for that now goes to food at Wine Mess instead, which has gotten much more substantive.

But that's all hearsay.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:58 pm

Followup question:

How freaking awesome is wine mess?

sergeantpzr

Postby sergeantpzr » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:42 pm

tag

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:55 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:Followup question:

Pretty freaking awesome.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:14 pm

Do you know how University House apartments are?

marburger06

Postby marburger06 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:41 pm

Sentry wrote:Do you know how University House apartments are?

Do you mean the giant apt building on (i think) 62nd? If so, I know nothing about the actual apartments, but I would not recommend living south of 61st street. Gang activity has really picked up around there; I have heard gunshots at night from a friend's apartment on 61st.
That said, I should stress that North of 61st and east of Cottage Grove (basically, once you hit UChicago's campus) is extremely safe. There are security guards and police everywhere. It's not like you have to live in Regents to be safe; just stick to areas between 47th and 61st, and east of Cottage Grove.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:04 pm

Staying in a hotel downtown for ASW (Ohio St and Michigan Ave) - any idea what buses I should take to make it down to the school? I think I read somewhere there are some direct buses from UChi to downtown and I'm under the impression that buses are easier than the L to get to the campus..

funkyturds

Postby funkyturds » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:21 pm

^Bus Route #6

onwisconsin25

Postby onwisconsin25 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:36 pm

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:How hard is it to get a 182+? Do the top 1 or 2 exams in a class get 182+ or is it next to unheard of to get that high? How about 180?

I guess my personal feeling about this is that no one should be worried about doing that well because so few people do. I think a 179 or 180 is a far more attainable yet still admirable goal.

onwisconsin25

Postby onwisconsin25 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:38 pm

trudat15 wrote:Staying in a hotel downtown for ASW (Ohio St and Michigan Ave) - any idea what buses I should take to make it down to the school? I think I read somewhere there are some direct buses from UChi to downtown and I'm under the impression that buses are easier than the L to get to the campus..

the 6 or the 2...whichever is closer

onwisconsin25

Postby onwisconsin25 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:39 pm

wine mess is very awesome...i wish i took advantage of it more often......ps sorry everyone that i awkwardly just posted three times in a row....brief came out today adn this is what i'd rather be doing so that's what happens

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:41 pm

onwisconsin25 wrote:

wine mess is very awesome...i wish i took advantage of it more often......ps sorry everyone that i awkwardly just posted three times in a row....brief came out today adn this is what i'd rather be doing so that's what happens

What are your thoughts on having LRW graded?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:19 pm

Knock wrote:
onwisconsin25 wrote:

It is not a good way to assess what school to go to. :P

Honestly, LRW kind of sucks. It is a lot of work. But employers care about it, and it reflects the reality of what you are going to be doing a lot of as an associate. In a way I'm glad I have the motivation to actually care about and work hard on my writing assignments. LRW is also graded on a different curve from the rest of our classes so it is actually an opportunity to help your GPA. Even a good faith effort (not a high standard) should get you a 178. The usual guideline about the number of As roughly matching the number of Cs doesn't apply in LRW, so the mean can significantly higher than the median.

onwisconsin25

Postby onwisconsin25 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:04 am

Emma. wrote:
Knock wrote:
onwisconsin25 wrote:

It is not a good way to assess what school to go to. :P

Honestly, LRW kind of sucks. It is a lot of work. But employers care about it, and it reflects the reality of what you are going to be doing a lot of as an associate. In a way I'm glad I have the motivation to actually care about and work hard on my writing assignments. LRW is also graded on a different curve from the rest of our classes so it is actually an opportunity to help your GPA. Even a good faith effort (not a high standard) should get you a 178. The usual guideline about the number of As roughly matching the number of Cs doesn't apply in LRW, so the mean can significantly higher than the median.

It doesn't bother me that LRW is graded. It is a lot of work, but it's really only stressful during 10-12 of the 30 weeks of the year and in my opinion only unreasonably stressful during 2-3 of those weeks. It's also nice to have it graded to know how you're doing as far as real world work, and to echo what emma said, employers like that it is graded which helps you. I had multiple 1L summer interviewers ask me what my grade was in LRW and when I gave them the numbers, wanted to know where that placed me on the curve within my section. i also love my bigelow (LRW teacher) so that might unduly influence my opinion

cranberry

Postby cranberry » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:23 pm

trudat15 wrote:Staying in a hotel downtown for ASW (Ohio St and Michigan Ave) - any idea what buses I should take to make it down to the school? I think I read somewhere there are some direct buses from UChi to downtown and I'm under the impression that buses are easier than the L to get to the campus..

On Friday you can take the 2, which will drop you off right in front of the law school and you can easily take back in the afternoon. On Saturday you will have to take the 6 and either walk from 60th street or transfer at 51st to the 172.

You could also walk from your hotel to Randolph/Michigan and take the Metra (ME line) to the 59th street stop and walk down the midway to get to the law school. The Metra is much faster, cleaner, and less crowded than the bus, but it's a little more difficult to navigate than the bus system. Make sure you check the schedule because the train schedule varies a lot during the day.
http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/maps ... edule.html

Don't take the L to get down here. The stops near the law school aren't in safe areas, especially if you don't know where you're going.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:37 pm

I am terrible with directions and took the Metra electric and it was so easy! And kind of fun! Haven't tried the buses yet.

soupisgood

Postby soupisgood » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:47 am

To those in Regents:

How did you furnish your apartments? I'm wondering if I should plan on just buying things on an online store that delivers (like Amazon), or a conventional furniture store in the HP area. Would UPS/DHL deliver packages to my door, or would I have to drag my *insert heavy furniture item here* all the way from the lobby to my apartment?

marburger06

Postby marburger06 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:45 am

soupisgood wrote:To those in Regents:

How did you furnish your apartments? I'm wondering if I should plan on just buying things on an online store that delivers (like Amazon), or a conventional furniture store in the HP area. Would UPS/DHL deliver packages to my door, or would I have to drag my *insert heavy furniture item here* all the way from the lobby to my apartment?

Besides the stuff I brought with me, I mostly got furniture through craigslist and uchicago marketplace (http://marketplace.uchicago.edu/). The latter is particularly good, because often you can find stuff in Regents and just grab a friend to help you move it.

I'm not sure if UPS will deliver to your door for large items - that's certainly not the case typically (normally, you have to pick everything up from the valet downstairs). I don't know of any good furniture places in Hyde Park itself, but I do remember looking at some other local furniture places that will deliver and set up your furniture. Just do a quick google search. Alternatively, if you find stuff you like at a further away store or on Craigslist, you can always find a "man with van" service that will pick it up for you and deliver it for a fee.

onwisconsin25

Postby onwisconsin25 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:16 am

soupisgood wrote:To those in Regents:

I bought everything at Ikea. There's one in the suburbs in Schaumburg, about a 45 minute drive from Hyde Park at a non-peak traffic time. They will deliver everything to you on the day you request them to deliver and you can get a service to assemble it all for 15% of the total purchase price or something like that. The only inconvenient thing is that you have to place the order in-store, so you would physically have to venture out to Ikea and do it.

cranberry

Postby cranberry » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:05 pm

I bought almost everything at the Macy's in my hometown and they ordered it from the warehouse and delivered it to my apartment for free. I went during the labor day sale and got a couch, bed, desk, tv stand, and a few lamp stands for about $2k.

soupisgood

Postby soupisgood » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:42 am

Awesome, thank you :)

Also, out of curiosity (I can't remember if this has been asked before or not), are you Regents folks staying in RP next year, or moving out? If so, where to?

jpk5372

Postby jpk5372 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:34 am

to tag onto the moving question- whattdo people in regents usually do if they aren't planning on hanging around chicago for the summer? do they have 9 month leases/ sublet potential?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”