UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby 2014 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:39 am

drawstring wrote:Are ties an issue with the NY market?

You will get asked why you want to be there but basically any sentence you reply with is sufficient. They certainly help though if for nothing else than you will sound more genuine, persuasive and will have more things to fill 20-30 minutes with if your answer is "I grew up in midtown" instead of "because firms are there".

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:07 am

kappycaft1 wrote:
applelover wrote:Hi all!

I know kappycaft1 is moving to Shoreland, but does anyone have a rough estimate of how many UChi law students currently live there? Thanks!
Hey applelover - it was great to hear that you enjoyed ASW and made the decision to take the Ruby and come to UChicago!

Not many people in general live in Shoreland yet (I don't even think it's had its grand opening yet). I know 0 students who live here, which makes sense because people usually sign 1-year leases that end around the end of the school year. I've been here for almost a month now, and I rarely run into anyone (I mean human beings in general and not just law students) in the hallways or elevators. elterrible78 said that it felt like hallway scene from The Shining when he came by to visit the other day. :lol:

I know a couple of people who will be moving in here as 1Ls this fall, but I see this place having the student population of Del Prado and not Regents just because it is more expensive, and there isn't a law school discount like there is at Regents.

Also, I lived in a renovated 1BR at Regents until last month if you have any questions.

P.S. Other Students Currently in Regents: I just noticed on this year's flyer that the student discount at Regents is being lowered to $50 a month instead of $100 a month, which kind of blows.

I was hoping that this would only apply to new residents, but I just talked to Reg's buddies in the management office and they said it applies to everyone.

Do any 2L's want to do a post about other places to live at in HP, preferably with a doorman?

What about the ones on this website:

http://chicagorentals.com/

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:16 am

beepboopbeep wrote:
applelover wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:I'm kind of jealous of Shoreland.

It was a sick place to live as an undergrad, back when it was dorms. But paying $1100/studio or $1400/1BR? No way I'm leaving a $900/mo 1BR for that.

Where do you live?

and kappycaft1, I PM'd you

http://chicagorentals.com/apartment/scholars-corner

Those studios are as cheap as university housing, they're renovated, and the building is right next to Regents. What's wrong with them? They sound too good to be true.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:25 am

Rahviveh wrote:
I was hoping that this would only apply to new residents, but I just talked to Reg's buddies in the management office and they said it applies to everyone.

Do any 2L's want to do a post about other places to live at in HP, preferably with a doorman?

Ricky-Bobby wrote:Those studios are as cheap as university housing, they're renovated, and the building is right next to Regents. What's wrong with them? They sound too good to be true.

I live in a 1BR in Scholars and absolutely love it. The buildings are older than Regents but I personally would rather have an apartment with some character than one that looks super new/bland. It's cheap, great location, great views, and the most space I could find for the money in Hyde Park aside from some crazy craigslist deals you find from time to time. The only real downside (for people who don't live here) is that apartments don't open up super often; everyone holds on to theirs. I was pretty lucky to get the apartment I did when I was looking. There were only two units open in the whole building that summer.

If I had to list gripes, the fitness room is a little enh, but Ratner is such a good gym (and free) that it doesn't really matter. My stove is electric and I'd prefer gas. Laundry isn't the cheapest but that's par for the course in this neighborhood. I'd also rather have hardwood floors but the carpet looks nice enough that it doesn't bother me a ton.

If anyone's interested I can take some pictures tonight and PM them out. I think there are two other 1Ls living here as well, but I don't think either of them are on TLS.

TBF though, University Housing also seems pretty solid, and I've heard of some 1BRs there having in-unit washer/dryer - a rare commodity in Hyde Park. Rahviveh, I've also lived in some other buildings in Hyde Park and have posted some rundowns of management companies ITT - I've got to get to class soon so I can't search through, but they're back there a bit. Though I didn't address buildings with full-time doormen, you're basically looking at the nicer MAC buildings and other high-rises. There aren't a ton though buildings like Scholar's have them during business hours only.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:33 am

beepboopbeep wrote:
Rahviveh wrote:

Ricky-Bobby wrote:Those studios are as cheap as university housing, they're renovated, and the building is right next to Regents. What's wrong with them? They sound too good to be true.

I live in a 1BR in Scholars and absolutely love it. The buildings are older than Regents but I personally would rather have an apartment with some character than one that looks super new/bland. It's cheap, great location, great views, and the most space I could find for the money in Hyde Park aside from some crazy craigslist deals you find from time to time. The only real downside (for people who don't live here) is that apartments don't open up super often; everyone holds on to theirs. I was pretty lucky to get the apartment I did when I was looking. There were only two units open in the whole building that summer.

If I had to list gripes, the fitness room is a little enh, but Ratner is such a good gym (and free) that it doesn't really matter. My stove is electric and I'd prefer gas. Laundry isn't the cheapest but that's par for the course in this neighborhood. I'd also rather have hardwood floors but the carpet looks nice enough that it doesn't bother me a ton.

If anyone's interested I can take some pictures tonight and PM them out. I think there are two other 1Ls living here as well, but I don't think either of them are on TLS.

TBF though, University Housing also seems pretty solid, and I've heard of some 1BRs there having in-unit washer/dryer - a rare commodity in Hyde Park. Rahviveh, I've also lived in some other buildings in Hyde Park and have posted some rundowns of management companies ITT - I've got to get to class soon so I can't search through, but they're back there a bit. Though I didn't address buildings with full-time doormen, you're basically looking at the nicer MAC buildings and other high-rises. There aren't a ton though buildings like Scholar's have them during business hours only.

Dude your elevators are sketch as fuck.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:00 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:

Awesome, thanks. I'd appreciate some pictures if you have time, but don't inconvenience yourself too much with it.

Crowing wrote:Dude your elevators are sketch as fuck.

I can handle dropping a few floors, but anything over three would probably hurt a bit.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:14 am

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:

Awesome, thanks. I'd appreciate some pictures if you have time, but don't inconvenience yourself too much with it.

+1

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:23 am

Ricky-Bobby wrote:

I can handle dropping a few floors, but anything over three would probably hurt a bit.

I mean like, the thing is like a cage on a rope. Picture something like a horror movie clock tower + descending into an abandoned mine shaft. It's pretty sweet actually.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:25 am

Crowing wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:

I mean like, the thing is like a cage on a rope. Picture something like a horror movie clock tower + descending into an abandoned mine shaft. It's pretty sweet actually.

I'll get that in the picture tomorrow. The other elevator is not sketchy at all! Just the one.

Sorry for the lack of pictures tonight, too much stuff on deck atm. Def tomorrow though.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:04 am

Crowing wrote:I mean like, the thing is like a cage on a rope. Picture something like a horror movie clock tower + descending into an abandoned mine shaft. It's pretty sweet actually.

So Shoreland is Shining-esque and Scholar's Corner has a mine shaft elevator? Hyde Park sure skews a certain direction in housing.

beepboopbeep wrote:I'll get that in the picture tomorrow. The other elevator is not sketchy at all! Just the one.

Sorry for the lack of pictures tonight, too much stuff on deck atm. Def tomorrow though.

Thanks. I won't need to move in until September, so I'm not too riled up about it.

Postby 20141023 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:59 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:21 am

kappycaft1 wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:I won't need to move in until September, so I'm not too riled up about it.

You might want to decide something a little sooner than that even if you don't move in until September. At most places you can "hold" a room for up to 60 days (some apartments allow it for up to 90 days) without paying for it before you move in. If you wait until September, a lot of the really good options will probably already be taken.

Good advice, thank you. I'll probably start seriously looking at options in early May after the deposit deadline. I'm still on the fence pending scholarship negotiation, so I don't want to get attached anywhere just yet. I may need to find options a little farther north.

orbotop

Postby orbotop » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:52 pm

whens it realistic to expect to get grades? :roll:

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:43 pm

orbotop wrote:whens it realistic to expect to get grades? :roll:

I guess not today ;-)

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:46 pm

Taking bets on who's late on their exams.

I think Penalver is the front-runner because he doesn't give a fuck about us anymore. Followed by Levmore/henderson. Henderson probably doesn't care and Levmore has torts and public choice to grade.

I think Fennell is on top of her shit so it's not her. Strahilevitz shouldn't even be mentioned in this conversation because he can do no wrong.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:49 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Taking bets on who's late on their exams.

I think Penalver is the front-runner because he doesn't give a fuck about us anymore. Followed by Levmore/henderson. Henderson probably doesn't care and Levmore has torts and public choice to grade.

I think Fennell is on top of her shit so it's not her. Strahilevitz shouldn't even be mentioned in this conversation because he can do no wrong.

Penalver: 1:1
Henderson: 3:2
Levmore 3:1
Fennell: 5:1
Strahilevitz: 50:1

Think Levmore's a little more unlikely even with two exams. Takes shit seriously.

orbotop wrote:whens it realistic to expect to get grades? :roll:

Tell me you didn't email DG.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:53 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:Penalver: 1:1
Henderson: 3:2
Levmore 3:1
Fennell: 5:1
Strahilevitz: 50:1

I'd take the line on Henderson. That seems a little soft. But other than that I think i'm in agreement.

Postby 20141023 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:38 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:37 pm

AfghanTourist wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:Awesome, thanks. I'd appreciate some pictures if you have time, but don't inconvenience yourself too much with it.

+1

http://imgur.com/a/vpNiO

Sorry about the mess :/

Postby 2014 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:53 pm

Levmore had public choice graded within a few days of spring break apparently so I doubt it's him. Doubt it's Penalver either because he probably is eager to get out of here.

BA414

Postby BA414 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:09 pm

Thanks for doing this thread. I'll be in Chicago this weekend visiting NU. Still haven't heard back from Chicago, but since I'm in the area I'd like to be proactive and visit campus. I won't be able to do this until Saturday most likely, or Friday late afternoon (less likely). Should I email admissions and explain my situation? Is there a way to do a walking tour by yourself without checking in w/ admissions, etc. on Saturday? I was thinking they might put me in touch with a student who could spare an hour or so showing me around, but I think the chances of that are slim.

Thanks in advance.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:11 pm

BA414 wrote:Thanks for doing this thread. I'll be in Chicago this weekend visiting NU. Still haven't heard back from Chicago, but since I'm in the area I'd like to be proactive and visit campus. I won't be able to do this until Saturday most likely, or Friday late afternoon (less likely). Should I email admissions and explain my situation? Is there a way to do a walking tour by yourself without checking in w/ admissions, etc. on Saturday? I was thinking they might put me in touch with a student who could spare an hour or so showing me around, but I think the chances of that are slim.

Thanks in advance.

My instinct is to e-mail admissions. It might help demonstrate interest, and I don't see how it can hurt you to ask as long as you are polite about it.

BA414

Postby BA414 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:13 pm

Great, thought that was the right approach but just wanted to double check. Thanks!!

anon369

Postby anon369 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:45 pm

Can you make a convincing case to choose Chicago (almost sticker) over full tuition scholarship at Northwestern/Georgetown?

hdunlop

Postby hdunlop » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:54 pm

There's a list of current students on the admitted students website that you can email. I found the ones I emailed to be extremely responsive and helpful.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”