UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
beepboopbeep

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby beepboopbeep » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:15 am

Volake wrote:snip

Is this hypothetical or actual?

From what I've gathered, it would seem like clerkship -> apply for grade-selective+clerkship-required firms (susman, bartlit, etc) or just straight-up apply for "normal" biglaw firms during clerkship would be TCR - over 3L OCI, but do both - but as a 1L the value of my advice is probably minimal.

kappycaft1 wrote:Has this ever happened before? A 181 GPA is like top 5%ish... Since this isn't 2007 anymore, I imagine that if OCI didn't go well with that sort of a GPA, something is fundamentally wrong.

I'm sure it has. But yea, probably something to do with bidlist/transfer/bad interviewer/etc.
Last edited by beepboopbeep on Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:18 am

edit to help poster i quoted
Last edited by RodneyRuxin on Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Volake

Postby Volake » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:19 am

edit
Last edited by Volake on Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:19 am

edit to help poster
Last edited by WheninLaw on Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Volake

Postby Volake » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:25 am

Thanks for the advice, though I was probably unwise to share as much as I did.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:47 pm

Volake wrote:Thanks for the advice, though I was probably unwise to share as much as I did.

Not sure what your question was, but I might be able to give some insight. PM me?

c0llegeStUd3nt

Postby c0llegeStUd3nt » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:16 pm

WheninLaw wrote:
c0llegeStUd3nt wrote:I know the recent big law numbers were very positive, but anecdotally, what types of students get big law?

Specifically, if you are at or below median how common is it to get big law?

It is still common to get big law at/below median. It will require more hustle, a focus on your interviewing skills, and smart bidding (NY), but the opportunity is there. I can only think of a couple people that wanted big law and didn't get it, and it was not because of grades.

edit: it is hard for employers to figure out who is a a little under/over/at median due to our quirky grades. My experience is they lump people into the following categories: very bad grades (not common), median grades (huge chunk), good grades, great grades.

Awesome, thanks for answering the question! Especially curious because big law Chicago/NYC is my end goal.

Follow-up interviewing question. I don't actually have any ties to Chicago, except for the fact I will be attending UChicago, but I am very interested in living/settling down in Chicago after graduation. Is attending UChicago and saying you want to be in Chicago enough to be considered "ties" in a big law interview? (Sorry if this is a stupid question, I am new to this topic)

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:20 pm

c0llegeStUd3nt wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
c0llegeStUd3nt wrote:I know the recent big law numbers were very positive, but anecdotally, what types of students get big law?

Specifically, if you are at or below median how common is it to get big law?

It is still common to get big law at/below median. It will require more hustle, a focus on your interviewing skills, and smart bidding (NY), but the opportunity is there. I can only think of a couple people that wanted big law and didn't get it, and it was not because of grades.

edit: it is hard for employers to figure out who is a a little under/over/at median due to our quirky grades. My experience is they lump people into the following categories: very bad grades (not common), median grades (huge chunk), good grades, great grades.

Awesome, thanks for answering the question! Especially curious because big law Chicago/NYC is my end goal.

Follow-up interviewing question. I don't actually have any ties to Chicago, except for the fact I will be attending UChicago, but I am very interested in living/settling down in Chicago after graduation. Is attending UChicago and saying you want to be in Chicago enough to be considered "ties" in a big law interview? (Sorry if this is a stupid question, I am new to this topic)

Not a stupid question. Yeah, attending UChicago is enough of a "tie" as far as firms are concerned.

eliminatorjr

Postby eliminatorjr » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:35 pm

Thanks for everything, guys. This is a great topic.

Would I be out of place at the first day of ASW if I am decidedly not a diverse admit?

Postby 2014 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:59 pm

eliminatorjr wrote:Thanks for everything, guys. This is a great topic.

Would I be out of place at the first day of ASW if I am decidedly not a diverse admit?

Not at all, most of the class is equally un-diverse.

c0llegeStUd3nt

Postby c0llegeStUd3nt » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:42 pm

I saw some postings in another thread suggesting that UChicago places a lot better for litigation as opposed to transactional law.

What do you know about placement for transactional coming from Chicago (either anecdotally or if anyone knows any statistics)?

thanks in advance!

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:45 pm

c0llegeStUd3nt wrote:I saw some postings in another thread suggesting that UChicago places a lot better for litigation as opposed to transactional law.

What do you know about placement for transactional coming from Chicago (either anecdotally or if anyone knows any statistics)?

thanks in advance!

I doubt there are any statistics for this. There is nothing about Chicago specifically that would lead students to choose litigation over transactional work. It might be a function of where Chicago students want to work. There is not a huge desire for NY, which has the best transactional work. A huge chunk do Chicago/California, which lends itself more to litigation (of course there are firms such as Kirkland with great trans work).

Neal Patrick Harris

Postby Neal Patrick Harris » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:46 pm

c0llegeStUd3nt wrote:I saw some postings in another thread suggesting that UChicago places a lot better for litigation as opposed to transactional law.

thanks in advance!

Why do I keep hearing seeing 0Ls ask this? This is certainly not the case...

Postby 20141023 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:21 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:37 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:Alright all of you upperclassmen... I just noticed that with other schools approaching finals, they're starting to have journal tryouts soon as well. I have absolutely no interest in a journal, but I figure that it would be dumb not to try out just because there might be some random arbitrary benefit in the future (especially in the case of LR).

How does the timing for this shit usually work? What if we are starting our summer jobs the Monday after finals end? How much of a time-sink are the tryouts, and what even is a "write-on"? (I read this, but what is the format of the "Topic Analysis"? It seems like a closed-memo format... is that right?) Would law firms really care if someone is not involved in a moot court / journal / other random thing for 2L and 3L years?

Also, on a scale of 1 to lots, how much does it actually suck to be on a journal?

Instead of trying to figure all of this out during a really crappy time of the semester when they have the info session (in May), I figured it'd be better to ask about it now. After all, as many of you know, I like to plan ahead. :lol:

LR member here.

You should really start by figuring out if, and why, you want to be on a journal. Is it for the resume? Do you want to clerk? Answering those kinds of questions will help. For some, LR is the only journal worth doing. For others, no journal is worth it. It all depends on you.

The timing may change depending on what the LR decides to do this year. Last year, they emailed the writing competition packet on the last day of finals, I believe at 4pm. You had two weeks to complete two tasks - writing a topic analysis based on a closed-group of cases and articles (couple hundred pages, max) and doing a citecheck, where you looked for Maroonbook errors. The competition takes a significant amount of time, and in my experience, the more time spent, the better (especially on the citecheck side, which counted 50% for the LR, though much less for other journals). A lot of people do not start their summer job until the next week, and devote that first week to the competition. Students that have to start working immediately are at a significant disadvantage, though it can be done.

Remember that this can all change. There is always the chance the competition goes to a week or is done on the weekends. Also, worth noting that it is 2/3rds grade on. If you get on that way, all you need is a "good faith" effort.

As for if law firms care...it depends. If you have 180+ grades, and are not on LR, I'm sure you would get asked about it. Otherwise, I think journals are a small bump, with LR being a much larger bump by virtue that it signals very good grades (unless you write-on with mediocre grades). At some firms LR is likely mandatory (Munger, W&C), and at others, preferred. For the most part, you can not be in a journal and do absolutely fine at OCI.

I laughed at the "how much does it suck" comment. I think it is very personal. You are primarily doing citechecks and writing your Comment - and if those things appeal to you, then it's fine. If not, it can be really tough. The hardest part is time management. The common saying is "1L they scare you to death, 2L they work you to death, 3L they bore you to death." That can be true when on a journal, especially LR - since it publishes 4 times a year (as opposed to 1 for Legal Forum, and 2 for CJIL) you are doing more work, often during finals. There have been multiple times when I had to tell professors not to call on me because I was in the middle of a citecheck and was unable to properly prepare for class. They are totally cool about it, but it goes to show how much work it can be. Overall, I'm glad I did it and would do it again. But it is certainly not for everyone.

If you have more questions, feel free to PM/fire away here.

AspiringAcademic

Postby AspiringAcademic » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:54 am

The writing competition is fairly painful, especially if you’re working the entire time. But you can do a respectable job if you can get even a few days off. One thing from the above that I’d like to emphasize:

If your grades are high enough (180? A tad below?), then your only goal in the writing competition is to meet the good-faith standard. If you might be in that category, turn in something. It might qualify even if it is below your usual standards. Also, it's all blind graded. We'll never know that you're the one who turned in barely-acceptable crap.
As for whether it is worth it:

1.) It depends on what you want to do. It's crucial if you want any of the clerkship required/recommended career paths. Even if it isn’t a requirement, it’s probably more trouble to make up for not having it than to do it. Someone else would have to tell you how important it is if you want to land at a V-whatever law firm in NYC and aren’t super picky.

2.) LR really does suck. We might evolve into something better in a few years, but right now we’re doing a lot things that are very silly and very labor intensive. Most of the faculty think it’s insane and wasteful, but they’ll tell you to do it anyway because of everything in 1. On the other hand, the work is heavily frontloaded into the Fall quarter. If you don’t do board, you can pretty much coast after that.

skers

Postby skers » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:47 pm

I'm just going to plug the don't do the write-on and take a vacation before OCI approach. Also, be careful on taking time off to do the write-on since not all employers are really cool with that.

Postby 20141023 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:31 pm

Postby 20141023 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:43 pm

Robb

Postby Robb » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:52 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:My driver's license is going to expire this summer while I'm away, so I want to renew it before this quarter ends. Have any of you with an out-of-state driver's license renewed a license here in Chicago? If so, is there a driving component to the "renewal" process (which will actually be a "creation" process for me since I don't have an Illinois license yet), or is it just a written test? I ask this because I got rid of my car after moving up here, so a driving element could be problematic if I show up without a car. The DMV's website vaguely says: "Pass the appropriate exams (vision screening, written and/or driving)."

Also, on an unrelated note, one of my friends is looking at purchasing real estate in the Hyde Park area, and was being shown various properties by a real estate agent the other day. The agent told my friend that there is a Trader Joe's going in near the CVS/Hyde Park Produce shopping center next year. I tried Googling this and didn't find anything; have any of you all heard about this? I was excited about Whole Foods, but a Trader Joe's would be abso-fucking-lutely fantastic. :mrgreen:

According to this you probably won't need to:

The IL SOS doesn’t generally require driving exams for new-to-Illinois residents with valid out-of-state driver licenses, but agents do reserve the right to choose whether you must take one.

Will message you on FB about this, too.

Instinctive

Postby Instinctive » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:10 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:Thanks for the input everyone - both here and in PMs. I don't think I am even going to bother with it based on everyone's comments. I am definitely not taking off time from work to do that shit, and I am already scheduled to start the Monday following finals. It sounds like it doesn't really bestow that big of an advantage for someone who really just wants to go the corporate track and avoid litigation completely (and maybe even go back into consulting if transactional legal work ends up sucking for some reason), so I am going to go the TemporarySaint route (minus the vacation :( ).

Input appreciated by this 0L as well. If LR is something you decide to shoot for, just what grade range is going to be necessary? All 180+?

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:03 pm

Instinctive wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:Thanks for the input everyone - both here and in PMs. I don't think I am even going to bother with it based on everyone's comments. I am definitely not taking off time from work to do that shit, and I am already scheduled to start the Monday following finals. It sounds like it doesn't really bestow that big of an advantage for someone who really just wants to go the corporate track and avoid litigation completely (and maybe even go back into consulting if transactional legal work ends up sucking for some reason), so I am going to go the TemporarySaint route (minus the vacation :( ).

Input appreciated by this 0L as well. If LR is something you decide to shoot for, just what grade range is going to be necessary? All 180+?

It depends based on the grade distribution that year and the number of people that do the write on. 2/3rd is grade-on. Last year, it took a 180.5 to get on. This year, with some different factors (including a bigger law review), it was mid/high 179s.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:38 pm

WheninLaw wrote:
Instinctive wrote:

It depends based on the grade distribution that year and the number of people that do the write on. 2/3rd is grade-on. Last year, it took a 180.5 to get on. This year, with some different factors (including a bigger law review), it was mid/high 179s.

How do you guys find out what the cutoff is? Is that information released every year?

Canof09

Postby Canof09 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:08 am

I was accepted last cycle and opted to defer for a year. For the past year my family has been asking me where they can buy The University of Chicago Law School stuff.

I remember last year at ASW there was a group selling t-shirts, hoodies, ect. Does anyone know if they will be back this year? Do they only take cash or can I use plastic? Do they have a website by chance?

Thanks!

Postby 20141023 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:30 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”