UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Mal Reynolds

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:31 pm

applelover wrote:For people who live at regents, how soon before move-in did you have to apply for a place?

Anytime between May and July is more than enough time. You could even do August if you were in a bind though. I'd suggest looking at other places and using regents as a fall back if you're unsure.

applelover

Postby applelover » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:50 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
applelover wrote:For people who live at regents, how soon before move-in did you have to apply for a place?

Anytime between May and July is more than enough time. You could even do August if you were in a bind though. I'd suggest looking at other places and using regents as a fall back if you're unsure.

Thanks Mal!

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:53 pm

For just normal Hyde Park apartments (not Regent's), how early do you have to set it up for a Sept 1 move-in? Can you just come in August, check out places for a week or two, and then sign a lease, or do you need to do it earlier in the year?

Postby 20141023 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:06 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:47 am

cotiger wrote:For just normal Hyde Park apartments (not Regent's), how early do you have to set it up for a Sept 1 move-in? Can you just come in August, check out places for a week or two, and then sign a lease, or do you need to do it earlier in the year?

I got my current place after starting to look in August for a Sept 1 move-in, but I really don't recommend starting to look that late. Your options will be pretty limited.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:51 am

When would the ideal time be to look for a place, then? My summer is pretty flexible.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:54 am

Also, you guys are amazing with the info. Really makes me see myself at UChi more and more.

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:31 am

cotiger wrote:When would the ideal time be to look for a place, then? My summer is pretty flexible.

Depends where you are looking. Regents never fills, so you could snag a place there late.

Postby 20141023 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:21 pm

Samsing

Postby Samsing » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:28 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:Holy shit... Shoreland's free Internet connection murders the free Internet at Regents (and the best part is that you don't even need a modem)

How are you liking the Shoreland? I'm considering it for my 1L year. Would you recommend it? Do you need to pay extra for the in-unit washer and dryer or is it included in the rent? Thanks!

Postby 20141023 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:54 pm

naw

Postby naw » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:55 pm

midwest17 wrote:
kathj06 wrote:Would you recommend Chicago to someone interested in public service/public interest? I currently work for federal gov and want to do the same after law school, and am very impressed w/ Chi's revamped LRAP. It seems as though very few students go into public service/govt right after graduation, relative to some other top schools, so I was wondering about the level of institutional support for non-Biglaw jobs.

Thanks!

This is relevant to my interests.

Just a 1L, but I can try to pick this one up. There's a good deal of institutional support for PI/Gov inasmuch as there's guaranteed $5k summer funding for 1Ls and 2Ls and a few university sponsored post-grad fellowships.

The LRAP is great because it covers all of your IBR payments, allows judicial clerkships, and has a pretty generous cap (80k). The downside to the LRAP is that it relies heavily on PSLF, which has been in the news recently for all the wrong reasons (see: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tim-lowde ... 38429.html), and doesn't do a ton to stave off negative amortization (I'm honestly not sure if other schools are any better at this).

I've spoken with Paul Woo and Susan Curry with Career Services and they've been fantastic at giving long-term advice, short-term summer employment resources, and application pointers. Paul helps put on the Midwest Public Interest Law Career Conference (http://mpilcc.uchicago.edu/) every year, which I did not attend, but seems like a really valuable opportunity to interview with regional public interest organizations.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:46 am

bobr wrote:Sorry to intrude on the UChicago forum, but I have a quick favor to ask.

I am currently a 1L at Columbia and have Harcourt for Criminal Law. Is there any chance anyone on here had him and would be willing to share any notes and/or outline for his class? I would really appreciate it.

Thank you very much in advance.

Hey, I know it's your spring break but I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out with this as well? Thanks a lot for any help you might be able to give.

Pulsar

Postby Pulsar » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:10 pm

MCFC wrote:
bobr wrote:Sorry to intrude on the UChicago forum, but I have a quick favor to ask.

I am currently a 1L at Columbia and have Harcourt for Criminal Law. Is there any chance anyone on here had him and would be willing to share any notes and/or outline for his class? I would really appreciate it.

Hey, I know it's your spring break but I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out with this as well? Thanks a lot for any help you might be able to give.

He has in the past asked relatively straight-up issue spotting questions (usually featuring a good deal of homicide). But I'd be prepared to bring out the crazy. Knowing all the rando authors and theories he brings up is likely to help you. Last year he taught half (one quarter's worth) of crim, and his exam was all policy/philosophy and (worse) questions on rape law and what you think of various rape-law policies. Good luck.

Postby 20141023 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:02 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:08 am

Pulsar wrote:
MCFC wrote:

He has in the past asked relatively straight-up issue spotting questions (usually featuring a good deal of homicide). But I'd be prepared to bring out the crazy. Knowing all the rando authors and theories he brings up is likely to help you. Last year he taught half (one quarter's worth) of crim, and his exam was all policy/philosophy and (worse) questions on rape law and what you think of various rape-law policies. Good luck.

Ha, thank you. A few hours after I originally posted he actually sent out an email telling us he would make his old exams available to us. Should be a load of fun.

mac2013

Postby mac2013 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:46 pm

Someone mentioned to me that UChicago can feel like a commuter school because after 1L everyone lives far away from campus. Can anyone touch on that?

Also, can anyone touch on social life at UChicago? Especially after 1L.
Thanks.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:56 pm

I'm not really sure what a commuter feel means since it's graduate school. There are plenty of people who hang out at the law school before and after classes. Hyde park just kind of sucks especially compared to the rest of Chicago. So lots of people move downtown. I guess you'll get a more college feel from somewhere like Michigan or UVA since they are in smaller cities and everyone probably lives in a few select areas. But odds are the 2Ls and 3Ls at any law school are gonna spend less time on campus because if all goes according to plan they DGAF. That being said I know a lot of upperclassmen who still live in hp.

Social life at the law school is what you make it. Bar review on Thursday nights, wine mess Friday. Shit like that. After 1L you're living in one of the best cities in the country so social life probably kicks ass.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:20 pm

There's still a good contingent of 2Ls and 3Ls who live in Hyde Park. But really, the 2Ls and 3Ls mostly move to a few neighborhoods (e.g. tons in South Loop) and hang out up there.

Leo

Postby Leo » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:23 am

Hi current students. Prospective student here. Got a scholarship offer yesterday. A little lower than I'd hoped. Which of these offers would you use as leverage: full ride at lower T14 or half ride at T10?

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:16 am

Leo wrote:Hi current students. Prospective student here. Got a scholarship offer yesterday. A little lower than I'd hoped. Which of these offers would you use as leverage: full ride at lower T14 or half ride at T10?

Both. When I negotiated I included all of that information.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:22 am

kappycaft1 wrote:Holy shit... Shoreland's free Internet connection murders the free Internet at Regents (and the best part is that you don't even need a modem):

Oh, wow.

gottago

Postby gottago » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:41 pm

deleted
Last edited by gottago on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

sah

Postby sah » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:46 pm

gottago wrote:any tips on how to use HYS/ CN $$$ (named) to get a Ruby out of them when their initial offer was a low-ball?

I'm actually not above both medians lol but I'm close to one and above the other by a bit

Would be interested in this as well. LSAT>75, GPA=Median. Missed out on the Ruby, scholarship offer is underwhelming.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:52 pm

Not much you can do besides ask for more money and wait for the first ruby deadline to pass. Not sure when that is but I'm sure they'll give other offers once they have a sense of who has accepted the first round of offers. It's not like there is some magic word you can say to admissions.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”