UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cotiger

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby cotiger » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:06 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
cotiger wrote:
That actually sounds really nice. Easing you into the law school exam process instead of having 50% of your grades determined the first time you experience it.

I always hear people say this as a plus, but 50% chance it harms you more than it hurts you. If you have more time to adjust, so do your classmates, and on a mandatory curve that's all that matters.

I mean, sure, psychic benefits and all that. Definitely nice as a matter of mental burden to only have two classes to worry about each of the first two quarters. But IMO the stress comes more from the fact that you're competing with a lot of very smart people than the size of the workload itself.

I'm pretty sure psychic benefits are all that people mean when they say it's nice. I personally felt much less stressed knowing that only two grades out of like fifteen were coming on my first go-around.

Yeah, I'm just talking about relieving some of the stress of "What if I'm doing it ALL WRONG??" during the first part of the year.

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:52 pm

Hey all! I will be attending ASW, but I am unable to attend Saturday's housing tour because I will be flying back early Saturday morning. If anyone lives in Regents and wouldn't mind showing me their place Thursday, April 10 or Friday, April 11, please PM me.

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:56 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
cotiger wrote:
That actually sounds really nice. Easing you into the law school exam process instead of having 50% of your grades determined the first time you experience it.

I always hear people say this as a plus, but 50% chance it harms you more than it hurts you. If you have more time to adjust, so do your classmates, and on a mandatory curve that's all that matters.

I mean, sure, psychic benefits and all that. Definitely nice as a matter of mental burden to only have two classes to worry about each of the first two quarters. But IMO the stress comes more from the fact that you're competing with a lot of very smart people than the size of the workload itself.

I'm pretty sure psychic benefits are all that people mean when they say it's nice. I personally felt much less stressed knowing that only two grades out of like fifteen were coming on my first go-around. And while your adjusting will be matched by other students in terms of grades, the low-stakes intro can also help you make mental and emotional adjustments for future exam periods that matter more, which may not help your grades because of the fixed-sum game of the curve but which will very likely help you as a human being who has to live through it.

If you want evidence that lower stakes help people be happier and makes the experience more tolerable, look at the 3Ls, who are mostly in a no-stakes game right now and who have a much easier time of finals period as a personal matter.

I was really nervous about the quarter system at first because my college uses semesters, but I really like the idea of only having two finals after first quarter. I'm still a little worried about winter and spring quarter finals though.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:04 pm

applelover wrote:Hey all! I will be attending ASW, but I am unable to attend Saturday's housing tour because I will be flying back early Saturday morning. If anyone lives in Regents and wouldn't mind showing me their place Thursday, April 10 or Friday, April 11, please PM me.

If you look anything like that picture, I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding someone who wouldn't mind showing you their place after bar review on Thursday night.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:16 pm

Emma. wrote:
applelover wrote:Hey all! I will be attending ASW, but I am unable to attend Saturday's housing tour because I will be flying back early Saturday morning. If anyone lives in Regents and wouldn't mind showing me their place Thursday, April 10 or Friday, April 11, please PM me.

If you look anything like that picture, I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding someone who wouldn't mind showing you their place after bar review on Thursday night.

GET IT EMMA

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:09 pm

Emma. wrote:

haha. I wish I had been blessed with Rita Ora's beauty, but I can't even compare.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:46 am

1Ls at the beginning of the school year: "Stop trying to scare us; spring quarter can't be that bad!!"

1Ls now: "IT GETS WORSE?!?!"

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:48 am

RodneyRuxin wrote:1Ls at the beginning of the school year: "Stop trying to scare us; spring quarter can't be that bad!!"

Lol. So much worse.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:13 am

Emma. wrote:
RodneyRuxin wrote:1Ls at the beginning of the school year: "Stop trying to scare us; spring quarter can't be that bad!!"

Lol. So much worse.

I honestly can't imagine having four exams each quarter from here on out. What % of 2L/3L classes have papers? Papers TCR over exams or depends on prof?

Postby 2014 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:21 am

Most of my friends had 3 finals both fall and winter and should have 2-3 in spring. You can game it so that you only have 1 per quarter but believe me the idea of a paper is better than the process of a paper. Being able to be totally done after an exam is underrated and you don't have to study near as much as for 1L classes.

The sweet spot is reaction paper classes though I love those.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:24 am

2014 wrote:The sweet spot is reaction paper classes though I love those.

Credited.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:27 am

Are any of you current students in the Doctoroff Program? Anyone know one of the 8 who are? Feel free to PM if you don't want to out yourself. Thanks!
Last edited by Ricky-Bobby on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:35 am

I checked the schedule for spring and saw my elective has a take-home final. Maybe I'm crazy but I'm pretty happy about that. I liked having 8 hours for Civ Pro I. Regardless, it is nice having a few days and a weekend or two between the elective final and the 1L substantive classes.

skers

Postby skers » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:27 pm

Just as a heads up, some 1L electives allowed a paper option last year and I imagine it's the same this go-around.

applelover

Postby applelover » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:29 pm

This thread makes me more excited to visit and possibly attend UChi.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:35 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:Just as a heads up, some 1L electives allowed a paper option last year and I imagine it's the same this go-around.

Looks like 6 of them are in-class exams and 2 are take-home exams

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:59 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:I honestly can't imagine having four exams each quarter from here on out. What % of 2L/3L classes have papers? Papers TCR over exams or depends on prof?

It's a combination of the exams being only one quarter's worth of material each AND more importantly you just don't give a fuck anymore. SWEET SPRING BREAK FREEDOM.

Good luck tomorrow, 1Ls! Please do future-yous a favor and outline a bit over spring break.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:52 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
Emma. wrote:

Lol. So much worse.

I honestly can't imagine having four exams each quarter from here on out. What % of 2L/3L classes have papers? Papers TCR over exams or depends on prof?

I know plenty of people who have 4 exams as a 2L/3L, but that's just bad planning. Papers probably take more hours than studying for an exam but are really low stress if you pace yourself. Just plan to spread it out and give yourself 2-3 exams along with 1-2 seminars or a clinic each quarter so you don't end up overwhelmed at any point.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:59 pm

badaboom61 wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
Emma. wrote:

Lol. So much worse.

I know plenty of people who have 4 exams as a 2L/3L, but that's just bad planning. Papers probably take more hours than studying for an exam but are really low stress if you pace yourself. Just plan to spread it out and give yourself 2-3 exams along with 1-2 seminars or a clinic each quarter so you don't end up overwhelmed at any point.

You never have to take 4 exams after spring quarter, but 4 3-credit exams is much more manageable than 2 x 6 credit, 2 x 3 credit, and dealing with the LRW brief. I had one or two quarters with 4 exams after 1L and it really wasn't that bad.

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:39 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:Just as a heads up, some 1L electives allowed a paper option last year and I imagine it's the same this go-around.

No paper options this year. A shame, considering the median in those classes is 178. I strongly suggest everyone take Epstein for the lulz.

Postby 20141023 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:56 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:09 am

kappycaft1 wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:

No paper options this year. A shame, considering the median in those classes is 178. I strongly suggest everyone take Epstein for the lulz.

I know there are a few of us that are going that route, but many of us I decided to stick with Fennell because she has been pretty straightforward in Property thus far. I personally don't want to end up with another Levmore-ish class. :P

Epstein is Levmore-ish in class, but the final is all BLL. Teaching a class to yourself sounds kind of rough with the 1L Spring exam schedule. I think taking Fennell is the right call - the doctrine is not that hard, and she is really clear.

HarvardHopeful

Postby HarvardHopeful » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:11 pm

Is there a place to buy UChicago Law apparel? I can't find anything online.

Postby 20141023 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:39 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

applelover

Postby applelover » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:30 pm

For people who live at regents, how soon before move-in did you have to apply for a place?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”