UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
HarvardHopeful

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby HarvardHopeful » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:46 pm

I'm planning on taking a taxi or bus to the law school on a friday morning and then a family member was hoping to pick me up, park, and check out the campus for a little while. Any suggestions on where they could park without a parking permit? Thanks

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:34 pm

HarvardHopeful wrote:I'm planning on taking a taxi or bus to the law school on a friday morning and then a family member was hoping to pick me up, park, and check out the campus for a little while. Any suggestions on where they could park without a parking permit? Thanks

The law school lot is open after 3:30, and usually parking on the midway opens up in the afternoons even earlier than that. It might be a few blocks from the law school, but they should be able to find something. There's also metered parking in the main campus area.

Postby 2014 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:22 pm

The later they get there the more likely they are to find street parking but if worst comes to worst tell them that the lot at Stony Island and 60th is free and never fills.

HarvardHopeful

Postby HarvardHopeful » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:05 pm

Thank you both for the help!

orbotop

Postby orbotop » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:16 pm

Last edited by orbotop on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sims1

Postby sims1 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:16 pm

0L here. One of the things that interested me when I was reading about the school was its emphasis on law and economics. I was wondering if this is something you see often in classes and if its something which impacted your own decision to attend Chicago.

Thanks!

Postby 2014 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:23 pm

It shows up in some way in basically all classes whether it is the POV of professors or a point a student volunteer raises that the professor engaged with. It's rare to see the law and Econ approach dominate a whole class but it kind of lurks behind a lot of things and having a familiarity or interest in it is a definite advantage.

To anyone that freaks out if you are a hippy English major that doesn't believe in Econ you can do really well too. It's not necessary just helpful.

Postby 20141023 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:54 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:55 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:This is actually something that one of our professors was telling us about the other day at breakfast. He said that he had taught a Michigan for several years, and that it (and most other schools) like to approach things from a "fairness" standpoint, whereas UChicago likes to use the Hand Formula and all the other economic tools we have to analyze cases. I am not sure how true this is nowadays, but it was interesting to hear.

Softies.

In all seriousness, I think 3 of my 7 substantive profs so far have been pretty hardcore committed to Law+econ, and 2 others brought it in regularly; it's also pretty pervasive in student questions, lunch talks, and just generally how people think about things. I'd second 2014's thing about not worrying about it if you don't have a background: like, I had AP micro/macro in high school but nothing in undergrad, and with that minimal subject-matter exposure have felt comfortable enough understanding what's going on during the more econ-heavy moments. I'd also add that it feels more behavioral-econ-heavy than what most people think of when they hear econ.

Law & Econ wasn't part of my decision to come. On the academics side, it was more about student engagement/people here not looking quite so much at law school as three years of suffering for the purpose of a job, but as something interesting and worthwhile for its own sake. I'm sure that's everywhere to a degree, but comparing classes at different places Chicago stuck out favorably in that regard. But even that was a relatively minor factor compared to cost/prospects/etc.

Sojourner2

Postby Sojourner2 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:02 pm

Can someone tell me what the law school building itself is like? I really like Chicago's intellectual attraction, but I also have to admit that I don't really like what I see of the law school campus (or building) itself. I've read enough on here to allay any concerns I might have about Hyde Park. But I haven't seen a whole lot about the building and its amenities/facilities. Is there enough space? Is it updated or old inside? Does the interior match the modern design of the outside or is it more traditionally designed? What is the library like, etc. I'd be interested in anything anyone has to say about this.

Obviously this wouldn't be the deciding factor, but it will likely be a deciding factor. I am curious on people's thoughts especially given I probably won't have a chance to visit before I make a decision.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:23 pm

Sojourner2 wrote:Can someone tell me what the law school building itself is like? I really like Chicago's intellectual attraction, but I also have to admit that I don't really like what I see of the law school campus (or building) itself. I've read enough on here to allay any concerns I might have about Hyde Park. But I haven't seen a whole lot about the building and its amenities/facilities. Is there enough space? Is it updated or old inside? Does the interior match the modern design of the outside or is it more traditionally designed? What is the library like, etc. I'd be interested in anything anyone has to say about this.

Obviously this wouldn't be the deciding factor, but it will likely be a deciding factor. I am curious on people's thoughts especially given I probably won't have a chance to visit before I make a decision.

And I thought the concerns about the politics of the student body at a prospective school were weird...

There are definitely pictures online. Overall, the law school itself has a very modern feel, inside and outside. What do you even mean by enough space, though? Like, do we have to sit on each others' laps? We don't. Nobody has to eat sitting on the floor. The oxygen level is sufficient to spend at least 5 or 6 hours inside without worrying about permanent brain damage. The ceilings are pretty high. I have idea of the actual square (or cubic) footage.

The library is chock full of books. There are also some tables and chairs (though apparently not as many as at Cooley). I'm fighting a serious battle to not openly mock you, and probably losing. I apologize.

In all honesty, if I were you and this mattered that much to me, I'd just do a Google image search.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:30 pm

Are you asking if the carpet matches the drapes?

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:39 pm

There's tons of room, lots of different places to study depending on your preferences (a variety of comfy chairs, different desks, group/solo workspaces). Everything is super-modern but you get used to it--everything is freshly renovated, we just got huge TVs in all of the classrooms and ditched projectors, everything is well-kept.

If you're going to worry about anything, don't let it be the building--worry about the people (see the previous answers to your question)

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:50 pm

Sojourner2 wrote:Can someone tell me what the law school building itself is like? I really like Chicago's intellectual attraction, but I also have to admit that I don't really like what I see of the law school campus (or building) itself. I've read enough on here to allay any concerns I might have about Hyde Park. But I haven't seen a whole lot about the building and its amenities/facilities. Is there enough space? Is it updated or old inside? Does the interior match the modern design of the outside or is it more traditionally designed? What is the library like, etc. I'd be interested in anything anyone has to say about this.

The law school is modern on the outside, but not nearly as modern on the inside; it gets the job done. Many of the lecture rooms don't have windows and yes we sit very close to one another in class. If you have concerns about studying environment, the school has plenty of different options. Our law school is designed to be "small" our professors' offices are on the perimeter of a couple of the library floors and it has been convenient for getting quick help from profs. Speaking of our profs, they are known to be the cream of the crop. Most of my professors genuinely care about students and know most of us by name. Compared to our peer schools, our school is considerably smaller, but it is by design and you'll grow to appreciate it. Our architecture across campus is superb and you will find a place that fits your study needs...but really, that shouldn't be a significant factor to be worrying about.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:22 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:If you're going to worry about anything, don't let it be the building--worry about the people (see the previous answers to your question)

Come on man lighten up.

Anyway the building is pretty unattractive on the outside and inside and one of the worst parts is the cafe freaking blows. But there are better cafeterias nearby and food trucks near the bookstore.

The profs have their offices in the library which is nice since it makes them really accessible. I personally like working in the library but some of my friends hate it and prefer studying at home or at the main (Regenstein) library or the science library. It's a little small for my tastes; I actually like huge dungeony/archievey libraries where I can find some really isolated corner but if I want that Regenstein definitely fits the bill. During winter break being in that place was like being alone in Dracula's castle or something.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:34 pm

Crowing wrote:
Come on man lighten up.

Everyone was a 0L once (just like the 2Ls/3Ls were 1Ls once). No need to be dicks.

caito

Postby caito » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:45 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Are you asking if the carpet matches the drapes?

LOL

Robb

Postby Robb » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:11 pm

It seems very modern on the inside to me, and seems to match the exterior. I don't feel that the classrooms are crowded, either... I mean, it's not like you have a ton of area to spread out, but I'm a pretty big guy and it's not like we're sitting shoulder to shoulder or anything. You probably have about 2 feet of desk space to yourself... enough room to fit a laptop and a book. The library is extremely modern. Here are a few pics from google:

http://www.topboxdesign.com/wp-content/ ... rior-1.jpg
http://www.topboxdesign.com/wp-content/ ... rior-2.jpg
http://www.topboxdesign.com/wp-content/ ... Design.jpg
http://www.law.uchicago.edu/files/galle ... 003_u1.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3178/300 ... 4ece53.jpg

Overall, it's pretty nice. I mean, it's not like where I went to undergrad, with spacious golf-course like expanses of greenspace, which I loved, but to me it seems very modern and pleasant.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:22 pm

The school underwent a huge $30m renovation in 2007, and as a result the interior is super clean & modern. The building was designed by Eero Saarinen, and there is a lot of Saarinen-designed furniture throughout the building (check out http://www.dwr.com to see what I'm talking about). You might not like the exterior, but it leads to one of my favorite things about the library: floor to ceiling windows. The study tables are for the most part along the outside edges of the library, so your study space is filled with natural light. It's way better than being stuck under fluorescents. All the desks are wired with power outlets, and the library &classroom chairs are all really comfortable (which actually matters).

Also, the fountain/reflecting pool is awesome.

But if you want classic American college neo-gothic architecture, there is a library right across the midway (a 2-3 min walk) with a reading room that looks like it comes straight out of Harry Potter.

Sojourner2

Postby Sojourner2 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:36 pm

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I probably should have phrased my original question a little better. Obviously I'm not going to make my decision on the basis of what the school looks like. But since I probably won't be able to visit Chicago and I've been to all the other schools I probably am going to have to decide between, I was just curious what people thought of the building itself and its environment. These may not be decision factors, but they are still helpful to know if you can't visit the school and are just trying to get a sense of what the place is like beyond the pictures.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:41 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:
Crowing wrote:
Come on man lighten up.

Everyone was a 0L once (just like the 2Ls/3Ls were 1Ls once). No need to be dicks.

I get being completely neurotic about this shit, but I also can't imagine how the quality of the building would remotely factor into a decision on where to attend. Literally everything else is more important. Fair enough, OP.

+1 on floor-to-ceiling windows in the library, I guess. The classrooms are a little cramped for my liking but it's whatever. What would bother me is if there weren't places to plug-in where I needed to use my computer, and that's almost never a problem. Outlets, outlets everywhere.

The cafe sucks but half your food will come from lunch talks anyway.

Postby 20141023 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:03 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 2014 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:00 pm

This is what I get for not checking TLS for a night, you people are undermining my homerism by terrorizing the 0Ls. I will double my efforts and fix this.

Pulsar

Postby Pulsar » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:50 pm

I don't study at the tables by the windows. If I try and it is nice out and the reflecting pool is working, I end up staring outside for hours. If it is cold out I don't want to see that. Also the white chairs at the second-floor interior tables are by far the most comfy chairs in the library.

jkwo07

Postby jkwo07 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:44 pm

Obviously most part people aren't gunning to get to Indianapolis, but do you know of the chances of getting a biglaw job in Indy from uchi? Do Indy firms come to OCI?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”