UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
beepboopbeep

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby beepboopbeep » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:08 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:
HarvardHopeful wrote:Thanks for the quick responses! UChicago is looking more and more like my choice, but since students shouldn't assume they will be at the top of their law school class (since everyone is likely just as smart as you are), I'm worried about not getting a clerkship. Definitely going to look into it more when I visit.

On another note, are there any restaurants/places that you recommend I go visit for my first trip to Chicago? :D

If you're talking Hyde Park, the only answer is Medici. City-wide there are a ton of options. If you will be here for ASW the admissions office will give you a pretty good sampling of a lot of different places. If you are visiting outside of ASW, check this out:

http://www.reddit.com/r/chicago/wiki/eats

Egregious anti-Hyde Park trolling. The Med is great, but it's not the best in Hyde Park.

OP, I'd also strongly recommend Rajun Cajun (Indian+soul food), the Sitdown (sushi+sandwiches), the Nile (Middle Eastern), the Snail (the best among the 500,000 thai restaurants in Hyde Park), Cholie's (greasy, delicious hole-in-the-wall pizza place - order delivery, don't go there), and Valois (cafeteria style breakfast/brunch). I mean, the Med is an establishment and it's probably best to go there first. But don't listen to this fool saying we have only one good restaurant.

Also, if you're into beer, check out the University pub. You'll need a student to get you in as it's restricted membership, but it's got one of the better craft beer selections on tap that I've found in Chicago.

FWIW on the clerkship thing - I know of someone who graduated last year who got a federal clerkship with a 179ish average (roughly top 30%, according to our transcripts) and no law review, no ties to the region. Anecdata at its finest, but do what you will with it. Everything Emma's saying reflects what I've heard from older students and OCS.

edit: only cowards delete their posts, elterrible. Rajun Cajun is good.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:09 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:it's got one of the better craft beer selections on tap that I've found in Chicago.

City-wide? are you high?

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:23 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:it's got one of the better craft beer selections on tap that I've found in Chicago.

City-wide? are you high?

High on memo, dawg.

In all seriousness, a lot of other places have way more bottles but I haven't been to many with more on tap. There certainly are a few but the Pub easily outdoes to the majority of bars. But please enlighten us with your expert knowledge, O Wisened One who has lived here for six months

Postby 20141023 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:41 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:50 pm

The only thing I'd like to add is that Rajun Cajun is both the best Indian food in Hyde Park, and the worst Indian food I have ever eaten.

Postby 20141023 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:02 pm

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:03 pm

Rajun Cajun looks shady AF from the outside so I've never been there. Maybe I'll give it a shot this week.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:09 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:The only thing I'd like to add is that Rajun Cajun is both the best Indian food in Hyde Park, and the worst Indian food I have ever eaten.

lol I've definitely had worse, but I know where you're coming from. For a cheap fast-food style Indian restaurant, though, it isn't that bad.

(I think the Indian food truck is actually worse, btw. :P )

Between those two, it is very, very close. The first person to set up a legit Indian restaurant in Hyde Park is going to make a mint.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:21 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:

City-wide? are you high?

High on memo, dawg.

In all seriousness, a lot of other places have way more bottles but I haven't been to many with more on tap. There certainly are a few but the Pub easily outdoes to the majority of bars. But please enlighten us with your expert knowledge, O Wisened One who has lived here for six months

Hop Leaf
Longman & Eagle
Old Town Pour House
Elephant & Castle
Homeslice
OCallaghans

to name a few...Pub is easily best in HP, let's just not get carried away. There is plenty of great beer spots in this city.

Also....finish your damn memo

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:38 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:
HarvardHopeful wrote:Thanks for the quick responses! UChicago is looking more and more like my choice, but since students shouldn't assume they will be at the top of their law school class (since everyone is likely just as smart as you are), I'm worried about not getting a clerkship. Definitely going to look into it more when I visit.

On another note, are there any restaurants/places that you recommend I go visit for my first trip to Chicago? :D

If you're talking Hyde Park, the only answer is Medici. City-wide there are a ton of options. If you will be here for ASW the admissions office will give you a pretty good sampling of a lot of different places. If you are visiting outside of ASW, check this out:

http://www.reddit.com/r/chicago/wiki/eats

Egregious anti-Hyde Park trolling. The Med is great, but it's not the best in Hyde Park.

OP, I'd also strongly recommend Rajun Cajun (Indian+soul food), the Sitdown (sushi+sandwiches), the Nile (Middle Eastern), the Snail (the best among the 500,000 thai restaurants in Hyde Park), Cholie's (greasy, delicious hole-in-the-wall pizza place - order delivery, don't go there), and Valois (cafeteria style breakfast/brunch). I mean, the Med is an establishment and it's probably best to go there first. But don't listen to this fool saying we have only one good restaurant.

Also, if you're into beer, check out the University pub. You'll need a student to get you in as it's restricted membership, but it's got one of the better craft beer selections on tap that I've found in Chicago.

FWIW on the clerkship thing - I know of someone who graduated last year who got a federal clerkship with a 179ish average (roughly top 30%, according to our transcripts) and no law review, no ties to the region. Anecdata at its finest, but do what you will with it. Everything Emma's saying reflects what I've heard from older students and OCS.

edit: only cowards delete their posts, elterrible. Rajun Cajun is good.

I know you don't like Salonica but it's one of my favorite places around here. Valois is great too, but they're really not comparable. Valois is a cafeteria-type place with great bang for the buck (SO and I usually split a meal for less than $8 and it's plenty of food). Salonica is more of a diner; they have some good soups there and I <3 gyros.

Also note that you're not gonna find any restaurants that will blow you away in Hyde Park, but it's located to some of the best restaurants in the world downtown so if you really want something nice it's just a short trip away.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:39 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Rajun Cajun looks shady AF from the outside so I've never been there. Maybe I'll give it a shot this week.

Yeah it looks sketchy as shit and I haven't tried it yet. I've heard you should never go for the Cajun side of things there, and I'm not such a huge fan of Indian food.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:56 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:edit: only cowards delete their posts, elterrible. Rajun Cajun is good.

Finish your damn memo.

skers

Postby skers » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:11 pm

Chicago is a ridiculously good food town. A couple of recommended joints depending on your price range and willingness to travel (if you have any specific cuisine in mind let me know):

Fat Rice (Logan Square)-Probably my restaurant in the city. Macao/hipster Chinese
Longman and Eagle (Logan Square)-Ridiculously tasty New American. Rad for dinner or brunch
Au Cheval (West Loop)-The best diner you'll ever hit up. Tasty brews. Get the fried bologna.
Juno (Lincoln Park)-Great sushi.
Big Star (Wicker Park)-tacos and whiskey. Enough Said.
The Publican and PQM (Fulton Market/West Loop)-Great sandwiches and brews at PQM. The Publican's got small plates that will melt your face.

Oh, and keep in mind that a bunch of places throughout the city are byob, which is completely a gamechanger. The Violet Hour's a great place to grab a cocktail if you come with an SO. The Whistler and Kingston Mines are both really fun bars with live music. You should definitely check out Second City. Any of the museums (especially the Art Institute) are really good.

gchatbrah

Postby gchatbrah » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:21 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:

City-wide? are you high?

High on memo, dawg.

Hop Leaf
Longman & Eagle
Old Town Pour House
Elephant & Castle
Homeslice
OCallaghans

to name a few...Pub is easily best in HP, let's just not get carried away. There is plenty of great beer spots in this city.

Also....finish your damn memo

adding The Map Room to this list, as well as (surprisingly) Timothy O'Toole's -- the breadth of availability is pretty impressive.

Longman & Eagle is one of the best places to get whisk(e)y in Chicago -- I absolutely would not make the trek up there from HP just to sample their beer list, however.

Also want to plug the Pub -- at the tail end of last year, they had literally 6 Three Floyds draught brews for <= $6 -- Zombiedust and Dreadnaught included. Currently have a great deal on DFH Indian Brown Ale.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:22 pm

elterrible78 wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:edit: only cowards delete their posts, elterrible. Rajun Cajun is good.

Finish your damn memo.

Jaqen

Postby Jaqen » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:47 pm

Crowing wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:Rajun Cajun looks shady AF from the outside so I've never been there. Maybe I'll give it a shot this week.

Yeah it looks sketchy as shit and I haven't tried it yet. I've heard you should never go for the Cajun side of things there, and I'm not such a huge fan of Indian food.

"Cajun" :lol:

Postby 20141023 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:56 pm

HarvardHopeful

Postby HarvardHopeful » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:38 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:

Chicago is a ridiculously good food town. A couple of recommended joints depending on your price range and willingness to travel (if you have any specific cuisine in mind let me know):

Fat Rice (Logan Square)-Probably my restaurant in the city. Macao/hipster Chinese
Longman and Eagle (Logan Square)-Ridiculously tasty New American. Rad for dinner or brunch
Au Cheval (West Loop)-The best diner you'll ever hit up. Tasty brews. Get the fried bologna.
The Publican and PQM (Fulton Market/West Loop)-Great sandwiches and brews at PQM. The Publican's got small plates that will melt your face.

Oh, and keep in mind that a bunch of places throughout the city are byob, which is completely a gamechanger. The Violet Hour's a great place to grab a cocktail if you come with an SO. The Whistler and Kingston Mines are both really fun bars with live music. You should definitely check out Second City. Any of the museums (especially the Art Institute) are really good.

Thanks everyone for the advice! I'm visiting in two weeks and will definitely have to check out some of these spots. :D

Postby 2014 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:36 pm

Rajun Cajun has very good butter chicken (which is a term i had never heard before but it is effectively chicken tikka masala). It is not worth eating at the restaurant, it is indeed sketchy in there, so get it to go. Also it is better than the indian food truck by a MILE. That truck is a waste of money and awful.

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:20 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:

TS is right on and a person I'd party with (probably do). However:

-get the burger at Au Cheval (bologna for another time). Keep in mind the wait is now like 3+ hours on weekends
-Longman is hard to get a spot; go to OSB, the bar tasting room in back that nobody has any idea about and is empty
-Big Star is the most popular place in Chicago, so be ready for insane crowds.

helpplease

Postby helpplease » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:08 am

I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed, but this thread is ridiculously long.

Can anybody who transferred provide any insight on how they like UChicago? The transition, transfer stigma, making friends, competitiveness/difficulty of classes, whether or not you are happy with your decision in general, etc.

UChicago was out of reach for me as a 0L, but it has always been my dream school and I thankfully think I have a shot at transferring.

If any 2L or 3L would like to adopt me as their son during this process and enlighten me about everything UChicago, I will forever be indebted to you.

Thanks!

Postby 20141023 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:14 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Canof09

Postby Canof09 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:42 pm

Hello all,

Can anyone here speak to what exactly a "school-funded" job looks like at UChicago? I know that they are typically just ways for the law school to artificially inflate their employment stats, but is the same true here? I would assume that at least a few of these positions are populated by students who are legitimately interested in pursuing legal academia as a career. If not, are they public interest related jobs? What's the story here?

Postby 2014 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:58 pm

The law school has some named funds that pay the salary of people who go to qualifying PI organizations that otherwise can't afford to hire new attorneys. I don't know the logistics but I know they are relatively competitive. Not positive if they are one or two years, but they are not indefinite. Certainly not as ideal as getting hired to a PI org right out of school, but there are some organizations where funding like this is the only way to get your foot in the door without working for free. It's a far more desirable outcome than the school paying you hourly to do research or putting you in the OCS/admissions office.

Postby 20141023 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:39 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”