UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Optimist Prime

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Optimist Prime » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:49 pm

I (accidentally) pissed off the Northwestern students with a question and one of them said I would fit in better at U Chicago. Is there a rivalry between the #4 and #12 best-est law schools in the nation that I wasn't aware of?

Also, I'll re-ask my original question since they didn't answer it.

I was looking through the linkedin profiles of acquaintances who are in law school (mostly 2Ls and 3Ls) and noticed that many of them have listed "Law clerk at ____" for dates during which they were in law school. Is it common for people to do an internship for credit hours or some such thing during law school, or is it more likely just sloppy record keeping?

Thanks in advance

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:58 pm

Optimist Prime wrote:I (accidentally) pissed off the Northwestern students with a question and one of them said I would fit in better at U Chicago. Is there a rivalry between the #4 and #12 best-est law schools in the nation that I wasn't aware of?

I was looking through the linkedin profiles of acquaintances who are in law school (mostly 2Ls and 3Ls) and noticed that many of them have listed "Law clerk at ____" for dates during which they were in law school. Is it common for people to do an internship for credit hours or some such thing during law school, or is it more likely just sloppy record keeping?

Thanks in advance

Oh yes you'll fit in well here. Why don't you just ask them directly instead of being weird?

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:20 pm

Optimist Prime wrote:I (accidentally) pissed off the Northwestern students with a question and one of them said I would fit in better at U Chicago. Is there a rivalry between the #4 and #12 best-est law schools in the nation that I wasn't aware of?

If there is I'm not aware of it beyond general stereotypes extrapolated from the undergraduate institution here.

Optimist Prime

Postby Optimist Prime » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:30 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:

Thanks in advance

Oh yes you'll fit in well here. Why don't you just ask them directly instead of being weird?

Weird seems to be the general consensus. I was just browsing out of curiosity - thought I'd bother the internet for answers rather than calling people I haven't spoken to since undergrad. Sample size here is N of 4, so also just wondering if this was common or an anomaly.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:31 pm

Optimist Prime wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:

Thanks in advance

Weird seems to be the general consensus. I was just browsing out of curiosity - thought I'd bother the internet for answers rather than calling people I haven't spoken to since undergrad. Sample size here is N of 4, so also just wondering if this was common or an anomaly.

Oh my.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:27 pm

This thread got creepy.

Anyway, are any of you 2Ls who aren't on a journal? What are you using to fulfill the SRP requirement?

Postby 2014 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:30 pm

Seminar w/ a paper requirement instead of a final and turn that into a SRP is the most common

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:48 pm

2014 wrote:Seminar w/ a paper requirement instead of a final and turn that into a SRP is the most common

So then two seminars? One for SRP and one for WP?

I guess I'm being dense, I just don't get why UChi requires two big papers.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:04 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote: I just don't get why UChi requires two big papers.

If you don't know the answer to this then you don't belong here.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:18 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:

A little combative this evening, huh?

I know why they require them, I just don't like the format.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:22 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:

RIGOR, is TCR.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:24 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:

RIGOR, is TCR.

+1. Go rigorous, or go home.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:46 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:

RIGOR, is TCR.

Rigor is overrated. If I wanted a rigorous education I'd go to medical school. Unfortunately I don't like bodily fluids or old people.

Postby 2014 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:00 pm

I honestly don't even know what the WP requirements are, only that they are way more lax than the SRP and that many if not most seminars qualify for WP with no additional effort.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:08 pm

2014 wrote:I honestly don't even know what the WP requirements are, only that they are way more lax than the SRP and that many if not most seminars qualify for WP with no additional effort.

Thanks, 2014. I believe the site said something along the lines of, "many students write the WP in the SRP style, but it is not required."

Postby 2014 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:24 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
2014 wrote:I honestly don't even know what the WP requirements are, only that they are way more lax than the SRP and that many if not most seminars qualify for WP with no additional effort.

Thanks, 2014. I believe the site said something along the lines of, "many students write the WP in the SRP style, but it is not required."

Yeah no, fuck that. I guess if it is important to your ego or life goals to get published it might be a good idea to do that, but everyone I know is all about barely meeting requirements.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:36 pm

I'm a current student and I don't have a fucking clue what you guys are talking about

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:39 pm

Sorry I'm not sorry

Flips88 wrote:
Optimist Prime wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Optimist Prime wrote:Not strangers - Just people I went to undergrad with but haven't spoken to in years. I like to save my congratulating strangers for the TLS Law School Acceptances Denials and Waitlists forum.

Then just strike up a normal conversation and work in 'What did you do last summer?' and 'Have you decided what you're doing this summer?'

Do you never stalk people on FB to see what they are up to? If I wanted to just call them I wouldn't have posted the question - I would have just picked up the phone.

If my question was unanswerable that's fine. It was just a question on the internet.

You should probably post this in the UChicago thread. Seems like you'd fit in better there.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:15 am

beepboopbeep wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:The bar review email is 180. I lol'ed in the library.

Definitely an improvement over the "go kill yourself" one.

Wasn't that wine mess?

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:36 am

Xifeng wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:The bar review email is 180. I lol'ed in the library.

Definitely an improvement over the "go kill yourself" one.

Wasn't that wine mess?

Oh yea, you're right.

Crowdog, we've gotta write some shit before we graduate. Don't worry about for the next couple of years.

As for the rationale, I've been surprised to see how much here is geared toward making sure we have good writing samples for 1L jobs/clerkships/etc. I dunno, it's kinda nice, IMO.

wsparker

Postby wsparker » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:57 am

How much do y'all drive on ice? I know Chicago (and most places) are better equipped/prepared for ice and snow, but the ice terrifies me and I had so many close run ins with other cars/the curb during the hell that was Atlanta on Tuesday. I just don't want to bring my car and pay for it if I won't drive it much in the winter.

Thanks!

0913djp

Postby 0913djp » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:07 am

To the poster above, Chicago, unlike the state of Georgia, has millions budgeted (although maybe not this year) towards snow and ice management/removal and compared to other major cities remove it pretty quickly on highways and main thoroughfares. The issue comes on side streets where, to my understanding, the city has not been nearly as good pre-Rahm Emanuel.

So to answer your question more easily, it is probably not as bad as in Georgia.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:58 am

wsparker wrote:How much do y'all drive on ice? I know Chicago (and most places) are better equipped/prepared for ice and snow, but the ice terrifies me and I had so many close run ins with other cars/the curb during the hell that was Atlanta on Tuesday. I just don't want to bring my car and pay for it if I won't drive it much in the winter.

Thanks!

Lol-I wouldn't worry about this. This city doesn't shut down when there's 2 feet of snow; nobody even bats an eye at 2 inches. The infrastructure is here to handle it, and people don't freak out.

Postby 20141023 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:56 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:06 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
Crowing wrote:
wsparker wrote:How much do y'all drive on ice? I know Chicago (and most places) are better equipped/prepared for ice and snow, but the ice terrifies me and I had so many close run ins with other cars/the curb during the hell that was Atlanta on Tuesday. I just don't want to bring my car and pay for it if I won't drive it much in the winter.

Thanks!
Lol-I wouldn't worry about this. This city doesn't shut down when there's 2 feet of snow; nobody even bats an eye at 2 inches. The infrastructure is here to handle it, and people don't freak out.
Yeah... However, if you are okay without having a car, it is actually extremely easy to live in Chicago using solely public transportation - I'd even venture to say that a majority of the students here don't have cars. There are buses / trains / rental cars / bicycles / legs / other ways to conveniently get around Hyde Park and downtown Chicago that make having a car almost feel redundant. (For example, my wife and I got rid of our car after about 4 months of living here since we hardly ever used it.)

Yea, I'd second this. Having a car is pretty nice for grocery shopping and going to restaurants/shows uptown, but not so nice when you have to park, if you don't live in a building with reserved spots.

FWIW I've lived in Hyde Park since 2007 and only had a car for one three-month period during all of that time.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”