UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
JDeezy

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby JDeezy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:38 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
JDeezy wrote:
2014 wrote:
JDeezy wrote:Would being part of the new Doctoroff Business Program limit chances at OCI? Particularly concerned about the requirement that you perform a business internship after 1L year. TLS wisdom always says to make sure you do "something" legal after 1L year.

http://www.law.uchicago.edu/doctoroffbusinessleadership

The business internship would almost certainly be somewhat legal, and even if it isn't could be framed as legal. Several 1Ls work for companies over the summer and it doesn't adversely impact them. The TLS "do something legal" mantra basically means "Do something that you can articulate why it is useful to your legal career when asked about it in a 30 minute interview"

If I were eligible I would 100% gun for the program, it seems awesome.

Thanks.

Anyone know how competitive the program is? I know its new. I'll have 3 years decent WE and a bit of start up experience on the side.
This year there were like 30~50 students gunning for about 5 spots, but the program is actually supposed to have 15 spots, so I think they'll gradually enlarge it until they reach that number.

I applied for the program, but didn't get in. Just so you know in case you're really gunning for it: I didn't want to get stuck doing a quasi-law-related internship in the event that I am lucky enough to get a decent law-related summer job (1L SA, clerkship, etc.), so during my (informational) interview for the Doctoroff Program, I asked whether the "business internship" during the first summer is absolutely required because it was listed as an "essential element" of the program. (The interviewer said they would have to consider that in relation to the goals of everyone else applying to the program.) For obvious reasons, this ended up biting me in the ass. As long as the demand is high and the number of spots is low, you really have to show them that you are committed to doing some sort of business and not just becoming an "average attorney."

Here is a little bit more info about the program if you haven't seen this already.

Thank you. Appreciate the info and the link.

Postby 20141023 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:23 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 2014 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:32 pm

You could screenshot or PDF the grade page at my.uchicago.edu if you really wanted something instantly, but you are better off ordering the online one through the registrar. I think it took like a few hours last year and they say max 1-2 business days, so nothing major.

Go to my.uchicago.edu --> Academics --> Academic Records --> Order Online

I would suggest getting the uploadable one, I don't know what format the others are in but that one is just a PDF.

It will be a 2 page document, the 2nd page explains the grading system vaguely.

Postby 20141023 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:53 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

AspiringAcademic

Postby AspiringAcademic » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:57 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
2014 wrote:You could screenshot or PDF the grade page at my.uchicago.edu if you really wanted something instantly, but you are better off ordering the online one through the registrar. I think it took like a few hours last year and they say max 1-2 business days, so nothing major.

Go to my.uchicago.edu --> Academics --> Academic Records --> Order Online

I would suggest getting the uploadable one, I don't know what format the others are in but that one is just a PDF.

It will be a 2 page document, the 2nd page explains the grading system vaguely.

:lol: I like how they don't even try to make much sense of our grading system.

Also, thank you for the information.

The great mercy of UChicago: "It looks like you got....a B? I think? Err, and what is 'Elements' anyway?"

I once tried to explain our grading system to a non-law school friend. Went kind of like this:
http://xkcd.com/722/

Postby 2014 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:05 pm

This is the extent of the explanation by the way, sorry if this shows up a bad size it's obviously done from my phone. You can see how relatively worthless it is though.

wsparker

Postby wsparker » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:46 pm

Sorry to derail the thread, but I was wondering if any of y'all or your classmates had a dog in an apartment 1L? I know it seems silly, but I have a 70lb retriever and I would need to be able to get back to the apartment to let him out every once and awhile, so I would love to hear someone with that experience. Also, I know regent has a $35/month dog fee, are there any other apartments that don't charge the per month fee? Obviously I can look that up, but if you have any first hand knowledge, that would be great!

Postby 2014 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:19 am

wsparker wrote:Sorry to derail the thread, but I was wondering if any of y'all or your classmates had a dog in an apartment 1L? I know it seems silly, but I have a 70lb retriever and I would need to be able to get back to the apartment to let him out every once and awhile, so I would love to hear someone with that experience. Also, I know regent has a $35/month dog fee, are there any other apartments that don't charge the per month fee? Obviously I can look that up, but if you have any first hand knowledge, that would be great!

Not derailing at all! I know people who had dogs and managed fine. It helps to have a roommate so the dog gets more attention but it is very doable solo. Most buildings either get you per month or charge like a $300 fee up front so it's the same deal basically. Not sure if or which buildings have weight restrictions so look out for that too.

wsparker

Postby wsparker » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:06 pm

2014 wrote:
wsparker wrote:Sorry to derail the thread, but I was wondering if any of y'all or your classmates had a dog in an apartment 1L? I know it seems silly, but I have a 70lb retriever and I would need to be able to get back to the apartment to let him out every once and awhile, so I would love to hear someone with that experience. Also, I know regent has a $35/month dog fee, are there any other apartments that don't charge the per month fee? Obviously I can look that up, but if you have any first hand knowledge, that would be great!

Not derailing at all! I know people who had dogs and managed fine. It helps to have a roommate so the dog gets more attention but it is very doable solo. Most buildings either get you per month or charge like a $300 fee up front so it's the same deal basically. Not sure if or which buildings have weight restrictions so look out for that too.

Thanks! Good to know its doable, for some reason it has been stressing me out. I have been looking around and many of the apts say "pet friendly" but have a weight restriction of 20-40 lbs, so I'll just have to keep looking. On the plus side, I saw there were a few dog parks!

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:21 pm

wsparker wrote:
2014 wrote:

Thanks! Good to know its doable, for some reason it has been stressing me out. I have been looking around and many of the apts say "pet friendly" but have a weight restriction of 20-40 lbs, so I'll just have to keep looking. On the plus side, I saw there were a few dog parks!

I have a friend (not a UC law student, but UC staff) who had some trouble finding buildings in Hyde Park that would let him keep a very large dog. I don't remember the breed but it was an enormous dog. Definitely do research and call building managers early - he did end up finding a place, but the search took some time.

wsparker

Postby wsparker » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:31 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:...

I have a friend (not a UC law student, but UC staff) who had some trouble finding buildings in Hyde Park that would let him keep a very large dog. I don't remember the breed but it was an enormous dog. Definitely do research and call building managers early - he did end up finding a place, but the search took some time.

Thanks for more info! I had a feeling it would be really difficult, so I will be definitely be calling people as soon as I commit (which I hope is soon!).

Postby 2014 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:33 pm

Not that it is the best idea, but just saying I know people who have found vets willing to sign off that their dog was 50 pounds when it was over it. Landlords just use weight as a proxy for likely to do damage and goldens are pretty unlikely to wreak havoc.

wsparker

Postby wsparker » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:55 pm

2014 wrote:Not that it is the best idea, but just saying I know people who have found vets willing to sign off that their dog was 50 pounds when it was over it. Landlords just use weight as a proxy for likely to do damage and goldens are pretty unlikely to wreak havoc.

Yeah, I am sure I could get around it (he doesn't look 70lbs), but I'll probably just try to find a place that allows him. He's a chessie, but he doesn't do too much damage, thankfully.

off topic: How does Chicago do in Atlanta?

Thanks for answering my questions! I have a lot :oops:

Postby 2014 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:31 pm

I only heard of three people who were going for Atlanta (perhaps amongst other markets), I think all had offers. I don't know of their ATL specific ties only that they all went to school in the south. There are limited firms in ATL and I doubt all make it here to OCI, but they are receptive to mass mailing especially to people with real interest.

If you knew 100% that you wanted to be in ATL and nowhere else I would probably consider Duke/UVA (ideally with $$) and Vandy/Emory/UGA (with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) as "better" in that a greater gross amount of students end up in ATL from those schools, but I don't think you are at any disadvantage coming out of U Chi for ATL if you are willing to put in minimal effort and the value here is stronger exposure to other markets in the event that your personal values are ATL Biglaw > Any Biglaw > ATL PI > ATL Shitlaw (which describes the vast majority of people in my experience)

wsparker

Postby wsparker » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:17 pm

2014 wrote:I only heard of three people who were going for Atlanta (perhaps amongst other markets), I think all had offers. I don't know of their ATL specific ties only that they all went to school in the south. There are limited firms in ATL and I doubt all make it here to OCI, but they are receptive to mass mailing especially to people with real interest.

If you knew 100% that you wanted to be in ATL and nowhere else I would probably consider Duke/UVA (ideally with $$) and Vandy/Emory/UGA (with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) as "better" in that a greater gross amount of students end up in ATL from those schools, but I don't think you are at any disadvantage coming out of U Chi for ATL if you are willing to put in minimal effort and the value here is stronger exposure to other markets in the event that your personal values are ATL Biglaw > Any Biglaw > ATL PI > ATL Shitlaw (which describes the vast majority of people in my experience)

Okay, cool, that's what I thought. I definitely prefer any biglaw over non-biglaw in atl, but am willing to put in extra effort to be in ATL and I have pretty much all my ties there. Thanks again for your help!

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:35 pm

Hi! Sorry if this has been asked previously...the thread has gotten rather long.

What are the running paths/trails around Hyde Park like? Is it safe to run at night in a group? Are they well-lit and/or do they have drinking fountains along them?

Thanks!

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:19 pm

scoobers wrote:Hi! Sorry if this has been asked previously...the thread has gotten rather long.

What are the running paths/trails around Hyde Park like? Is it safe to run at night in a group? Are they well-lit and/or do they have drinking fountains along them?

Thanks!

The big one is the lake shore trail, and there are bridge crossings to enter the trail at 51st, 55th, and 57th. Running it at night with a group is probably fine, as long as it's not, like, midnight - it's not well-lit (as far as I can remember - I haven't gone out on it at night in quite a while), but it is well-populated during most normal hours. I did have a friend who was jumped by a small group of teens a few years back, but it was kinda his own damn fault for running at like 1am alone. Lucky for him he knew how to box, but hearing about that was pretty scary.

I do like it a lot during the day - they've added some nice wooded areas and the lake effect keeps you a bit cooler on the really hot summer days. It's quite beautiful and not as monotonous as a lot of trails that are just endless forest.

People also run on the streets/sidewalks but there's a lot of car/foot traffic and things aren't always well-shoveled in the winter. I can't think of anything else - maybe Washington Park, but once you get west of Cottage Grove things get sketchy.

edit: oh, there's also a track at Stagg field and an indoor track at Henry Crown fieldhouse.

Postby 2014 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:45 pm

Agree with everything beep said. I've ran on lake shore alone right around sunset with no issue, there really aren't places for someone to hide and jump you and you are already running so the mugging logistics are a little difficult. I would not run past 9 or 10 PM alone though, it's asking for trouble (in any big city, not just here). Groups are almost certainly fine no matter how awful of a time you choose. It takes a special sort of idiot/group to try and rob a group in public.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:06 pm

2014 wrote:you are already running so the mugging logistics are a little difficult

Maybe it's just because I've been outlining/researching most of the day, but this made me laugh uncontrollably.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:14 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
scoobers wrote:Hi! Sorry if this has been asked previously...the thread has gotten rather long.

Thanks!

The big one is the lake shore trail, and there are bridge crossings to enter the trail at 51st, 55th, and 57th. Running it at night with a group is probably fine, as long as it's not, like, midnight - it's not well-lit (as far as I can remember - I haven't gone out on it at night in quite a while), but it is well-populated during most normal hours. I did have a friend who was jumped by a small group of teens a few years back, but it was kinda his own damn fault for running at like 1am alone. Lucky for him he knew how to box, but hearing about that was pretty scary.

I do like it a lot during the day - they've added some nice wooded areas and the lake effect keeps you a bit cooler on the really hot summer days. It's quite beautiful and not as monotonous as a lot of trails that are just endless forest.

People also run on the streets/sidewalks but there's a lot of car/foot traffic and things aren't always well-shoveled in the winter. I can't think of anything else - maybe Washington Park, but once you get west of Cottage Grove things get sketchy.

edit: oh, there's also a track at Stagg field and an indoor track at Henry Crown fieldhouse.

Thanks! (and everyone else who responded, too)

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:57 pm

Thanks!

What's your 10K time? I'm a night runner, too, and I will probably look for running buddies if I end up at U Chi. I just don't want to run with some crazy pro marathoner or anything. :D

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:43 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:

Thanks!

What's your 10K time? I'm a night runner, too, and I will probably look for running buddies if I end up at U Chi. I just don't want to run with some crazy pro marathoner or anything. :D

:shock: slow :( I've been recovering from a stress fracture and a broken rib from bronchitis. My goal before all that was 1:10 though :oops:

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:13 pm

scoobers wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:

Thanks!

:shock: slow :( I've been recovering from a stress fracture and a broken rib from bronchitis. My goal before all that was 1:10 though :oops:

To steal something on saw on /r/running, you're still lapping everyone on the couch. I'm not much faster than that, and that's only by virtue of my freakishly long legs. Good luck with your recovery, though.

jdom

Postby jdom » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:34 pm

Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions in this thread, it's been really helpful for me.

I was planning on visiting the school on March 28th to take a student-led tour and visit a class. Is this a good time to visit considering it's the day after you all get back from spring break? Generally, the first class meeting for me has always been "Here's the syllabus, read this for next time, ktybai". I have no clue if this is how it works in law school - maybe you all have reading due for the first class.

Which of these classes/profs would you all recommend to visit?: Civil Procedure II - 02 - D. Wood, Development of Legal Institutions - R. Helmholz, Jurisprudence I: Theories of Law and Adjudication - B. Leiter

Also, any food/shops you would recommend checking out?

Thanks a bunch!

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:38 pm

jdom wrote:Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions in this thread, it's been really helpful for me.

I was planning on visiting the school on March 28th to take a student-led tour and visit a class. Is this a good time to visit considering it's the day after you all get back from spring break? Generally, the first class meeting for me has always been "Here's the syllabus, read this for next time, ktybai". I have no clue if this is how it works in law school - maybe you all have reading due for the first class.

Which of these classes/profs would you all recommend to visit?: Civil Procedure II - 02 - D. Wood, Development of Legal Institutions - R. Helmholz, Jurisprudence I: Theories of Law and Adjudication - B. Leiter

Also, any food/shops you would recommend checking out?

Thanks a bunch!

Nah we still get in to substantive legal stuff on the first day, so you'll be fine. March might still have a little bite of winter in the air so it will be good to realistically assess how you like the weather.

I think Brian Leiter is an idiot but I've heard he is a fine professor. I would still suggest Wood or Helmholz. Helmholz is a fucking titan of property law and likes to make fun of students pretty regularly. So he might be the closest thing to a paper chase type professor we have. Diane Wood is a federal COA judge so she is sort of a big deal. The problem with civ pro II is that you might not have any fucking clue what is going on in the class since Civil Procedure is foreign to non-lawyers, but it's the first day so maybe not. If you can find a class Saul Levmore is teaching I would go to that one bar none, though.

And do you mean shops around Hyde Park or shops anywhere?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”