UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
JDeezy

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby JDeezy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:10 pm

Regents Poster here...

Great info, thanks to all. Looks like Regents is $~1100-1200 to go without a roommate.

Obviously a personal call, but anyone with any opinions on whether to go with a roommate or not? Looks like it would be significantly cheaper. I like to play guitar (quietly) and spend time alone in my room. Would a guitar fill the apartment with noise?

What kind of rent are we looking at "south of the midway?" What kind of sketchiness are we looking at?

TYIA.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:31 pm

JDeezy wrote:Regents Poster here...

Great info, thanks to all. Looks like Regents is $~1100-1200 to go without a roommate.

Obviously a personal call, but anyone with any opinions on whether to go with a roommate or not? Looks like it would be significantly cheaper. I like to play guitar (quietly) and spend time alone in my room. Would a guitar fill the apartment with noise?

What kind of rent are we looking at "south of the midway?" What kind of sketchiness are we looking at?

TYIA.

I'll leave the top part of the post for someone who doesn't unilaterally hate roommate situations, but as for south of the midway:

1. It depends
2. It depends

To be a little more helpful, the area has really improved over the last 3-4 years since they put an undergrad dorm at 61st/Ellis. Generally, the closer you are to that, the apartments will be nicer but also more expensive. Studios will probably be 600-800 (Hyde Park studios roughly range from 750-1000), 1BRs 800-1000 (Hyde Park: 900-1500), 2BR 900-1200 (Hyde Park: 1000 to 1800), and so on. For these numbers I'm sort of half spitballing (based on living in Hyde Park for the last seven years) and half looking stuff up on http://marketplace.uchicago.edu/apartments, which is where most of the small brokers or independent landlords post apartments for rent (note that it's January, and many leases in Hyde Park run August/September - July/August). It's also a bit skewed by the fact that the higher-cost apartments in the area around South Campus are much, much nicer than you'd get for the same price in Hyde Park, so you can end up with a pretty swank place for not a lot of money down there.

The tradeoff is, of course, safety*. A lot of us who've been at UofC for a while remember the UC grad student who was shot and killed at 61st and Ellis a few years back, and will probably never live around there for that reason - but that's kind of a stupid availability heuristic thing. The campus police do patrol down to 63rd or 64th, I believe. Crime rates for Woodlawn are not good, (http://spotcrime.com/il/chicago/woodlawn, http://crime.chicagotribune.com/chicago/community/woodlawn), but Woodlawn is a big area and crime around south campus area is probably closer to Hyde Park than it is to Woodlawn levels. If you are living down there I'd advise sticking at least somewhat close to the south shuttle (--LinkRemoved--) to minimize walking distance, though the shuttle routes do change seemingly at whim and on little notice.

Kind of a choose your own adventure, I guess. Personally, not living in Regents, I feel like I haven't made as many connections to the rest of the class as a lot of the Regents people seem to have, and while it hasn't kept me from finding a great group of friends sometimes I regret not being a part of the whole 1L Regents scene. Diff'rent strokes and all that.

*ETA: there are also no grocery stores anywhere near south campus. It's not that hard to take the 171/172 to or from 60th and Ellis, but it is a hassle and will add 30-40 minutes to an already somewhat arduous task.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:36 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:

TYIA.

I'll leave the top part of the post for someone who doesn't unilaterally hate roommate situations, but as for south of the midway:

1. It depends
2. It depends

To be a little more helpful, the area has really improved over the last 3-4 years since they put an undergrad dorm at 61st/Ellis. Generally, the closer you are to that, the apartments will be nicer but also more expensive. Studios will probably be 600-800 (Hyde Park studios roughly range from 750-1000), 1BRs 800-1000 (Hyde Park: 900-1500), 2BR 900-1200 (Hyde Park: 1000 to 1800), and so on. For these numbers I'm sort of half spitballing (based on living in Hyde Park for the last seven years) and half looking stuff up on http://marketplace.uchicago.edu/apartments, which is where most of the small brokers or independent landlords post apartments for rent (note that it's January, and many leases in Hyde Park run August/September - July/August). It's also a bit skewed by the fact that the higher-cost apartments in the area around South Campus are much, much nicer than you'd get for the same price in Hyde Park, so you can end up with a pretty swank place for not a lot of money down there.

The tradeoff is, of course, safety*. A lot of us who've been at UofC for a while remember the UC grad student who was shot and killed at 61st and Ellis a few years back, and will probably never live around there for that reason - but that's kind of a stupid availability heuristic thing. The campus police do patrol down to 63rd or 64th, I believe. Crime rates for Woodlawn are not good, (http://spotcrime.com/il/chicago/woodlawn, http://crime.chicagotribune.com/chicago/community/woodlawn), but Woodlawn is a big area and crime around south campus area is probably closer to Hyde Park than it is to Woodlawn levels. If you are living down there I'd advise sticking at least somewhat close to the south shuttle (--LinkRemoved--) to minimize walking distance, though the shuttle routes do change seemingly at whim and on little notice.

Kind of a choose your own adventure, I guess. Personally, not living in Regents, I feel like I haven't made as many connections to the rest of the class as a lot of the Regents people seem to have, and while it hasn't kept me from finding a great group of friends sometimes I regret not being a part of the whole 1L Regents scene. Diff'rent strokes and all that.

*ETA: there are also no grocery stores anywhere near south campus. It's not that hard to take the 171/172 to or from 60th and Ellis, but it is a hassle and will add 30-40 minutes to an already somewhat arduous task.

:mrgreen:

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:37 pm

elterrible78 wrote: :mrgreen:

I could talk about Hyde Park real estate for hours. One of my passions.

edit: oh, didn't see the highlight. I will never admit any influence of Strauss upon my thinking.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:43 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:

edit: oh, didn't see the highlight. I will never admit any influence of Strauss upon my thinking.

Dunno why you would K Strauss and M Levmore. My preference would probably be the exact opposite.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:49 pm

Crowing wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:

Dunno why you would K Strauss and M Levmore. My preference would probably be the exact opposite.

You take that back. Levmore is a god.

...Strauss was okay, I guess. Never understood the love he gets. I disliked Buss more, but the game was FMK, not just rate the professors.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:50 pm

Ew.

Postby 2014 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:48 pm

TYIA.

I'd lean toward getting a roommate, it has social and financial benefits and you get your own room so you still have your space. I'm thinking back to our class and I would say 3/4 of all roommate situations did not carry forward into 2L, but I also cannot think of any that flamed out epically. Everyone is somewhat of an adult at this point.

Crowing wrote:Dunno why you would K Strauss and M Levmore. My preference would probably be the exact opposite.

I just went mentally back and forth on whether the majority would go with you or Beep and have no answer. That's the sign of a great FMK.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:26 pm

I wouldn't live far from the 6 bus or 171/172 unless you have a car, or you'll be severely limited in terms of transportation options.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:57 pm

Marry
Strahilevitz obvi. Tentatively marry Baird from what I've heard. Or rather life partner Baird since he won't marry his long term girlfriend.

Kill
Levmore. He would be a selfish lover and husband. I wouldn't want to deal with the levmore show in bed or life.

Fuck
Strauss. Maybe a little boring at the time, but leaves you wanting more and boosts your confidence.

JDeezy

Postby JDeezy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:39 pm

Regents Poster Again....

You guys da best. Thanks for the help. Just gonna keep asking I guess...

I have an idea that maybe I should try to find an MBA roommate so we could use each other to network/make friends with both schools. Good idea? Bad idea? Do MBAs live in Regents?

Postby 2014 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:41 pm

Mal the original stipulation was FMK your first quarter teachers with the caveat that polygamy was a no go. You went rogue with Baird in there, but I like him enough to let it fly this time. Buss or Hubbard probably feels left out though.

Finding an MBA roommate is a legitimately really good idea mostly because MBA people tend to be legit and getting access to their events even occasionally would be clutch. I have no clue how you would tap into that market though and you probably want to keep it on the DL that you have networking ambitions. I imagine most of them live up north somewhere, but to the extent that some stay in HP I don't see why they would be anti-Regents.

ansteam

Postby ansteam » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:09 am

JDeezy wrote:Regents Poster Again....

You guys da best. Thanks for the help. Just gonna keep asking I guess...

I have an idea that maybe I should try to find an MBA roommate so we could use each other to network/make friends with both schools. Good idea? Bad idea? Do MBAs live in Regents?

All the MBAs I've met live up north and take the Metra down to Booth, living somewhere within walking distance to a Metra Station (Millenium Park or the one in South Loop).

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:35 am

Are you guys all thawed out? It is sunny and high sixties out here in Cali.

JDeezy

Postby JDeezy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:36 am

Why would most MBAs live up north and most law students live in Hyde Park?

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:44 am

Emma. wrote:Are you guys all thawed out? It is sunny and high sixties out here in Cali.

Hi Emma! I'm so jealous; it's miserable here. :(

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:44 am

JDeezy wrote:Why would most MBAs live up north and most law students live in Hyde Park?

Because (a) B school is mostly just drinking, and (b) Booth has a downtown campus -- the Gleacher Center -- most classes have at least one section that meets there.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:47 am

Dany wrote:
Emma. wrote:Are you guys all thawed out? It is sunny and high sixties out here in Cali.

Hi Emma! I'm so jealous; it's miserable here. :(

Ugh, sorry. I was kind of nostalgic for extreme weather in 2L and 3L after snowpocalypse in 1L year, but maybe I didn't appreciate how lucky we were to have 2 really mild winters.

JDeezy

Postby JDeezy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:45 am

Do rooms in regents typically fill up pretty fast? I will be out of country April-June. Should I be making sure I have a spot before I leave?

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:44 pm

JDeezy wrote:Do rooms in regents typically fill up pretty fast? I will be out of country April-June. Should I be making sure I have a spot before I leave?

I think there's always some availability, but I just went ahead signed a lease on mine the week after ASW last year. But if you'll be back in June, I can't imagine you'd have any problems.

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:45 pm

JDeezy wrote:Do rooms in regents typically fill up pretty fast? I will be out of country April-June. Should I be making sure I have a spot before I leave?

You'll be fine. My roommates and I didn't sign our lease until July.

However, if there's a specific floor plan that you have to have, you might want to sign before you leave.

Jaqen

Postby Jaqen » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:48 pm

It's a huge complex so there are (pretty much) always going to be vacancies. I signed my lease in either late May or early June, I forget which, and there were plenty of options. I obviously can't guarantee it, but you should be good.

TexasAggie13

Postby TexasAggie13 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:05 pm

Can anyone offer thoughts on Shoreland Apartments? Is there a shuttle/bus that goes to the law school from Shoreland?

I also have a question about employment prospects. I know that most people work in a BigLaw setting after they graduate, but a sizable portion of the class opts for public interest jobs and positions in small private offices every year. Is this primarily due to an inability to secure a BigLaw job by these students, or is it largely due to some people having a preference against BigLaw and just wanting to stay the hell away? Maybe a little of both? I've always been curious about this.

Jaqen

Postby Jaqen » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:44 pm

TexasAggie13 wrote:Can anyone offer thoughts on Shoreland Apartments? Is there a shuttle/bus that goes to the law school from Shoreland?

I also have a question about employment prospects. I know that most people work in a BigLaw setting after they graduate, but a sizable portion of the class opts for public interest jobs and positions in small private offices every year. Is this primarily due to an inability to secure a BigLaw job by these students, or is it largely due to some people having a preference against BigLaw and just wanting to stay the hell away? Maybe a little of both? I've always been curious about this.

Hey, I remember you from the app cycle! Are you reapplying?

Shoreland looks nice. I've heard good things. The 171 bus stops right in front of Shoreland and also right in front of the LS. As a bonus, the 171 is usually less crowded than the 172 (the other (Hyde Park) bus route that stops at the LS).

I'll leave the second half to 2/3Ls.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:06 pm

Jaqen wrote:
TexasAggie13 wrote:Can anyone offer thoughts on Shoreland Apartments? Is there a shuttle/bus that goes to the law school from Shoreland?

Hey, I remember you from the app cycle! Are you reapplying?

Shoreland looks nice. I've heard good things. The 171 bus stops right in front of Shoreland and also right in front of the LS. As a bonus, the 171 is usually less crowded than the 172 (the other (Hyde Park) bus route that stops at the LS).

I'll leave the second half to 2/3Ls.

I lived in the Shoreland when it was an undergrad dorm (~4 years ago). Haven't been in it since they remodeled - it closed in 2009 and just reopened this past fall as high-end apartments - but it's an amazing location and has killer views. One of my favorite places I've lived in in Hyde Park. I've also heard good things about it post-remodel, but you should be warned that it's now owned by MAC property management, which has a less-than-stellar reputation in Hyde Park. They seem to be a bit better with their more expensive buildings, but reports of very delinquent maintenance and lost rent checks were extremely common in years past. I'm not sure it's a great value unless the apartments are really that stellar - the building is VERY pricey even by Hyde Park standards - though you do get free and supposedly quite fast internet included.

Jaqen's spot on about the 171, though it can also be pretty crowded at certain times of day. Lots of people live in that part of east Hyde Park and there's a big undergrad dorm at 56th/Hyde Park. The Central and East routes also go within a couple blocks of the Shoreland at night.

I'm also just a 1L so take this all with a huge grain of salt, but the impression I've gotten is that PI jobs tend on the whole to be more competitive than biglaw, or at least a different kind of competitive. How committed you are to public interest and what kind of work you've done before seems to play a larger part in PI hiring than it does for biglaw, so there's quite a bit of self-selection. I also get the sense that pretty much anyone who wants biglaw here can get it barring well-below-median grades, so I'm not sure that person-who-can-get-a-PI-job-but-not-biglaw exists. 2L/3Ls, please correct if this is crazytalk.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”