UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
0L Hoping for 1

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:54 pm

I dont think it was true to say that a 180.66 would not get you close to K&E. I am pretty sure that every person who graduated with high honors (180.5+) received K&E because it is top 10% at graduation. Even a few Honors people got K&E.

EDIT: Obviously this is talking about at graduation though and not your 2L year.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:35 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:I dont think it was true to say that a 180.66 would not get you close to K&E. I am pretty sure that every person who graduated with high honors (180.5+) received K&E because it is top 10% at graduation. Even a few Honors people got K&E.

EDIT: Obviously this is talking about at graduation though and not your 2L year.

This information is misleading. Once you have K&E, it is not taken away from you if your grades later drop to below 5%. As a result of flux among grades over the course of 2L, people who were previously not 5% will gain K&E, but those whose grades dropped will not lose it. Same for 3L.

The result is that roughly 10% of people get K&E by graduation because, at one of the three year-end points, they were in the top 5%. This does not change the ultimate cutoff though, which is assuredly higher than 180.66.

2013applicant

Postby 2013applicant » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:13 pm

Haymarket wrote:The result is that roughly 10% of people get K&E by graduation

It's rounded out to exactly 10% (well, accounting for fractions of a person) of the graduating class.

The only question regarding K&E scholar as a 3L is if there has been small enough turnover in the top 5% over the course of 1L and 2L to add additional students to reach 10% of the graduating class. Because of small enough turnover in the class of 2013 over the course of 1L and 2L, I know 3Ls who received the K&E scholar designation this year with barely a 180.5.

Also, as a c/o 2013 transfer, I can say that my 1L grades were favorably converted to a 187.5.

cwid1391

Postby cwid1391 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:46 pm

2013applicant wrote:
Haymarket wrote:Also, as a c/o 2013 transfer, I can say that my 1L grades were favorably converted to a 187.5.

Jesus christ, what was your actual GPA at your original school?

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:03 pm

cwid1391 wrote:
2013applicant wrote:
Haymarket wrote:Also, as a c/o 2013 transfer, I can say that my 1L grades were favorably converted to a 187.5.

Jesus christ, what was your actual GPA at your original school?

Think about what he's saying and reconsider this response.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:13 pm

2013applicant wrote: I know 3Ls who received the K&E scholar designation this year with barely a 180.5.

There were at least a couple 3L K&Es with below a 180.5 since there are more K&E scholars than High Honors recipients, but as you mentioned K&E effectively becomes top 10% at graduation.

I think there was only one person who got K&E but didn't get Coif, so it seems like almost everyone who is Top 5% after either 1L or 2L manages to stay in the top 10%, and they have to add several students to K&E to bring the total to 10% of the class. It is entirely possible that almost all the 1L K&Es stayed in the top 5% during 2L, meaning hardly anyone was added to K&E at the end of 2L and a bunch more people get it at graduation.

2013applicant

Postby 2013applicant » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:31 pm

Emma. wrote:
2013applicant wrote: I know 3Ls who received the K&E scholar designation this year with barely a 180.5.

There were at least a couple 3L K&Es with below a 180.5 since there are more K&E scholars than High Honors recipients, but as you mentioned K&E effectively becomes top 10% at graduation.

I think there was only one person who got K&E but didn't get Coif, so it seems like almost everyone who is Top 5% after either 1L or 2L manages to stay in the top 10%, and they have to add several students to K&E to bring the total to 10% of the class. It is entirely possible that almost all the 1L K&Es stayed in the top 5% during 2L, meaning hardly anyone was added to K&E at the end of 2L and a bunch more people get it at graduation.

Yep, that all jives with my understanding of it. For the highlighted, do you mean of the non-transfers? We're not eligible for Coif.

Postby 20141023 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:33 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

skers

Postby skers » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:53 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:A couple more questions for y'all:

1) Is the JumpStart Preview and Preparation Program even worth considering for someone who is already in Chicago, or is it pretty much a waste of time?

I don't see any point to doing any of this kind of bullshit. Don't prep. Just bro out and enjoy yourself.

Postby 2014 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:24 pm

Regents basic cable is not fuzzy. It's obviously not HD or anything close, but it is passable.

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:22 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:A couple more questions for y'all:

1) Is the JumpStart Preview and Preparation Program even worth considering for someone who is already in Chicago, or is it pretty much a waste of time?

2) For those of you who live in Regents, is the free basic cable that comes with the apartment only 16 analog channels with super-shitty quality (as in extremely fuzzy)?

I live in regents and the cable is average at best. Definitely passable and I wont complain as it is free... hopefully football will look decent as well.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:57 am

PopTorts13 wrote: hopefully football will look decent as well.

If you're okay with watching whatever game is on TV... That being said there's a website where you can stream all games for free. That's what I did. PM me for info

jsjd1989

Postby jsjd1989 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Okay, as someone moving cross country, I am wondering what others have done in my situation. I plan on shipping clothes and stuff, but I have pretty much no furniture. I'm also moving in only a week before school and don't have a car. Any other options besides Ikea? I don't think Ikea does same day delivery to our area, so I'm thinking I may be sleeping on the floor for a few days if that's the case... I wish I could order ahead but I doubt they will hold large, mattress containing, packages for me. Just wondering if anyone has any good recommendations.

Edit: I'm not living in Regents btw

courtneylove

Postby courtneylove » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:00 pm

jsjd1989 wrote:Okay, as someone moving cross country, I am wondering what others have done in my situation. I plan on shipping clothes and stuff, but I have pretty much no furniture. I'm also moving in only a week before school and don't have a car. Any other options besides Ikea? I don't think Ikea does same day delivery to our area, so I'm thinking I may be sleeping on the floor for a few days if that's the case... I wish I could order ahead but I doubt they will hold large, mattress containing, packages for me. Just wondering if anyone has any good recommendations.

Order from a national chain (like Macy's) and schedule your delivery on a day you will be there. If you order enough stuff, delivery will probably be free.

Jaqen

Postby Jaqen » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:54 pm

jsjd1989 wrote:Okay, as someone moving cross country, I am wondering what others have done in my situation. I plan on shipping clothes and stuff, but I have pretty much no furniture. I'm also moving in only a week before school and don't have a car. Any other options besides Ikea? I don't think Ikea does same day delivery to our area, so I'm thinking I may be sleeping on the floor for a few days if that's the case... I wish I could order ahead but I doubt they will hold large, mattress containing, packages for me. Just wondering if anyone has any good recommendations.

I'm thinking about going with this: http://chicagoil.cortclearancefurniture.com/

Next day delivery (air mattress ftw). Delivery and assembly for ~$150. Apartments to go packages starting at $1299.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:45 pm

Ehhhhh. Not a lot of options - furniture stores in Chicago, in my experience, are junky-and-shockingly-expensive or actually-nice-but-appropriately-expensive. Macy's was mentioned but I don't imagine that would be cheap - Crate and Barrel/CB2/West Elm, maybe? Were I in your situation I'd probably rent an iGo/zipcar and drive to the bolingbrook Ikea, but it sounds like you don't want to do that. You could just like, really hustle and get everything off craigslist/UC marketplace in the week before school?

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:06 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:
PopTorts13 wrote: hopefully football will look decent as well.

If you're okay with watching whatever game is on TV... That being said there's a website where you can stream all games for free. That's what I did. PM me for info

HD streams? In my experience sports streams are terribly unreliable. PM me anyways

courtneylove

Postby courtneylove » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:04 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:Macy's was mentioned but I don't imagine that would be cheap - Crate and Barrel/CB2/West Elm, maybe? Were I in your situation I'd probably rent an iGo/zipcar and drive to the bolingbrook Ikea, but it sounds like you don't want to do that. You could just like, really hustle and get everything off craigslist/UC marketplace in the week before school?

it wasn't that bad for me, less than west elm for sure. i think i paid $700 for a couch and ottoman and $600 total for mattress + box spring, and $200 for a desk, during a summer sale.

cwid1391

Postby cwid1391 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:36 am

I'm also planning on renting from Cort (the link posted above), which is an option. My GF has furniture and stuff though that we'll be moving up next summer, otherwise I would go ahead and buy that apartment-to-go which looks like a pretty sweet deal.

AspiringAcademic

Postby AspiringAcademic » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:30 pm

Anyone remember when the full course list was posted last year?

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:35 pm

AspiringAcademic wrote:Anyone remember when the full course list was posted last year?

We got an email about bidding on classes on August 17, so right around then I'm guessing?

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:45 pm

AspiringAcademic wrote:Anyone remember when the full course list was posted last year?

You probably know this already if you're in the facebook group, but you can do a ghetto search by looking at faculty profiles and clicking on the courses tab.

halestorm

Postby halestorm » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:10 pm

Would you guys recommend bringing a bike or not? How bike-friendly is HP? I don't ride my bike a ton, but I'm moving far enough away from home that if I don't bring it and do end up wanting it (or vice versa) transporting it after the big move-in will be a hassle.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:27 pm

halestorm wrote:Would you guys recommend bringing a bike or not? How bike-friendly is HP? I don't ride my bike a ton, but I'm moving far enough away from home that if I don't bring it and do end up wanting it (or vice versa) transporting it after the big move-in will be a hassle.

I'm not one of them, but there are quite a few bike lovers here. The law school has bike racks as does regents. Many ride to/from school or even to/from firm jobs in Chicago.

Postby 2014 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:30 pm

halestorm wrote:Would you guys recommend bringing a bike or not? How bike-friendly is HP? I don't ride my bike a ton, but I'm moving far enough away from home that if I don't bring it and do end up wanting it (or vice versa) transporting it after the big move-in will be a hassle.

I often wish I had one.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”