UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
pehaigllleises
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:57 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby pehaigllleises » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:17 am

One of my friends went to a more regional undergrad and one OCI interviewer (memory fails as to whether it was 1L year or 2L year, but I think 2L) turned his nose up at it. Something along the lines of 'ugh, why did you go there?' ...Because it's what he could afford, asshole? That's one out of 30+ OCI interviews my friend did. So that says a lot.

I do think that employers can use a top UG as a signaling device for 1Ls who don't have any or many grades yet and between the wide swath of median students at 2L OCI. By 2L OCI, I think it matters, but not very much. A few firms might put a more significant premium on a HYP undergrad (like Wachtell), even for students who have very good law school grades. But for the most part, it won't matter very much where you went for UG. And even less so if you do well here.

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:17 am

Emma. wrote:
Sentry wrote:
Also, do you know any people from non top UGs and how they've done job wise?


:?:

I don't think your UG school has any bearing on job stuff. The only place I could think of where this might help is better networking connections?


+1 I dont know anyone whose UG mattered. Employers see everyone here as UChicagoLaw grads. I know lots of people on Law Review, Moot Court, etc. who aren't from a top UG.

User avatar
ellewoods110
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:39 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby ellewoods110 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:42 am

pehaigllleises wrote: A few firms might put a more significant premium on a HYP undergrad (like Wachtell), even for students who have very good law school grades. But for the most part, it won't matter very much where you went for UG. And even less so if you do well here.



I can't comment on this extensively, except to say that one of my friends is working at Wachtell as a 1L, and (s)he went to a regular state school.

EDIT: I just wanted to mention this for people who went to unknown schools like I did who need reassurance
Last edited by ellewoods110 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

pehaigllleises
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:57 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby pehaigllleises » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:16 am

The big picture of 1L firm hiring, which at least last year was based significantly on diversity or connections (but not all), is different from the big picture of 2L firm hiring.

UG is one factor among many. Good law school grades matter a million times more. Your presentation of yourself matters a lot more. Even your major probably matters more than the name of your UG. But I did get asked on a callback 2L year for Wachtell why I went to my top 40ish UG instead of a better school. Obviously my UG didn't keep me from getting a callback, which is a good sign. But to say that UG is not a factor on some-to-many checklists is not true, so you should be prepared to answer the question of why you went somewhere.

As some encouragement, you can do fine here no matter where you went for UG. Of the top ten (5%) kids in my class after 1L year, they went to a bunch of different types of UG, and two went to big state schools outside the top 50. It's a small sample size, but there's no reason to think you're less qualified or able than the kids from top schools.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:35 pm

Don't let anybody fool you, kids. The quarter system is majestic. I love it. So much.

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby Sentry » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:14 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:Don't let anybody fool you, kids. The quarter system is majestic. I love it. So much.

I feel like you're being sarcastic...

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:42 am

Sentry wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:Don't let anybody fool you, kids. The quarter system is majestic. I love it. So much.

I feel like you're being sarcastic...


JGG is never sarcastic.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:16 pm

Sentry wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:Don't let anybody fool you, kids. The quarter system is majestic. I love it. So much.

I feel like you're being sarcastic...

Well, that depends. For your winter sickness, would you prefer one monster cold or just a series of debilitating colds?

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby Sentry » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:27 pm

How healthy am I between colds?

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:13 pm

Sentry wrote:How healthy am I between colds?


drunk

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby Sentry » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:14 pm

Emma. wrote:
Sentry wrote:How healthy am I between colds?


drunk

I'll take it!

User avatar
JFo
Posts: 397
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby JFo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:02 pm

Sentry wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Sentry wrote:How healthy am I between colds?


drunk

I'll take it!

User avatar
JFo
Posts: 397
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby JFo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:39 pm

Does anyone live in the Algonquin? I like the fact that heat is included (though I know it's not central) and they have hardwood floors, which is definitely a plus with pets. Does anyone know whether or not they allow large dogs? My greyhound is about 70 pounds of pure sleeping muscle.

Anyone have any other recs for Hyde Park apartments that have hardwood? I'm not overly concerned about how they look and can deal with sketchiness.

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby Sentry » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:19 pm

Are you all ready for spring break?

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:07 pm

Sentry wrote:Are you all ready for spring break?


Sooo ready.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby Knock » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:15 pm

Is this week finals week for you guys? Good luck to everyone.

User avatar
California Babe
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:45 am

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby California Babe » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:14 pm

Knock wrote:Is this week finals week for you guys? Good luck to everyone.


Last week. This is our first week of spring break.

EDIT: But thanks! It was... rough.

User avatar
Muenchen
Posts: 1197
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby Muenchen » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:41 pm

JFo wrote:
Sentry wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Sentry wrote:How healthy am I between colds?


drunk

I'll take it!


Image

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - 2 Quarters Down (!!) & Taking Questions

Postby Knock » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:04 pm

Question for people living at regents: do the apartments have dishwashers? how hard is it to get an apartment with a lake view? how's the fitness room/ how much does it cost? Is the shuttle to U of C reliable/convenient?

le_taon
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - 2 Quarters Down (!!) & Taking Questions

Postby le_taon » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:41 am

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm a 2L and finally have some spare time on spring break, and thought I'd answer any questions that the 1L's might not be able to, especially regarding upper-level offerings, OCI, clinics, journals, etc. Please fire away.

(Knock: I don't live there, but I know Regents has dishwashers. Not sure you get a choice about the views but I'm sure it's worth asking. The 172 is generally more frequent and reliable than the 171, though it is not without its flaws.)

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - 2 Quarters Down (!!) & Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:01 pm

le_taon wrote:Not to hijack this thread, but I'm a 2L and finally have some spare time on spring break, and thought I'd answer any questions that the 1L's might not be able to, especially regarding upper-level offerings, OCI, clinics, journals, etc. Please fire away.

(Knock: I don't live there, but I know Regents has dishwashers. Not sure you get a choice about the views but I'm sure it's worth asking. The 172 is generally more frequent and reliable than the 171, though it is not without its flaws.)


Thanks le_taon. I have a question about OCI myself. What is the timeline like between OCI and callbacks? Am I going to have any time to actually get some vacation between the end of OCI and the start of class?

Ghost
Posts: 1282
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - 2 Quarters Down (!!) & Taking Questions

Postby Ghost » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:26 pm

.
Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - 2 Quarters Down (!!) & Taking Questions

Postby Dany » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:21 pm

le_taon, if it's not too much trouble, I wouldn't mind a basic rundown of how OCI works at Chi. As in a basic timeline, how you bid on interviews, etc. Thanks!

le_taon
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - 2 Quarters Down (!!) & Taking Questions

Postby le_taon » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:24 am

Emma wrote:Thanks le_taon. I have a question about OCI myself. What is the timeline like between OCI and callbacks? Am I going to have any time to actually get some vacation between the end of OCI and the start of class?

Dany wrote:le_taon, if it's not too much trouble, I wouldn't mind a basic rundown of how OCI works at Chi. As in a basic timeline, how you bid on interviews, etc. Thanks!


I happen to have last year's OCI schedule right in front of me, in a stack of law firm paraphernalia I really ought to do something about. Anyway, bidding was July 30 - August 6. Results were released August 13th. OCI was Aug 24 - Sep 3. (This of course was the 2010 schedule, which is very much subject to change -- though OCI this year is Aug 23 - Sep 2.)

Basically, the bidding is by ranked lottery. Firms have X number of interview spots, which is generally more than sufficient for people who are really interested. There is no pre-screening based on grades or other criteria, though there is self-selection based on firms' expressed interest. So you rank your firms 1, 2, 3, etc. and then the bids are basically doled out by bid number and lottery number (i.e., everyone's first bid gets filled first in lottery number order, but if you don't get your fifth bid, it'll skip to your sixth, and so on).

There were some firms for which spots got a bit difficult (some of the San Francisco firms I think -- they had very few spots b/c ppl were interviewing for multiple offices, and some of the more desirable DC firms, too), but the big firms (e.g., Kirkland Chicago) had a ton of interview spots, and even with some of the smaller ones, it's a matter of priorities. I don't think anyone really lacks for interviews, and if you don't get a firm via the bidding system, it's generally possible, if you're interested enough, to get an interview day-of by saying 'hi' or by being an alternate (people start cancelling, particularly during the 2d week of OCI). Firms don't like to leave interested people in the dust.

Anyway, I think the only people for whom bidding became a serious issue were those bidding for >2 cities, because then it's a matter of managing the multiple bids into some rank orders. Career Services, understandably, encourages students to be judicious and reduce the number of markets they're bidding in, because it can be difficult to manage these multiple cities in terms of bidding. (That said, I managed just fine by being smart and honest about the firms I really wanted in each city.)

In terms of scheduling callbacks, I think most people tried to schedule as many callbacks as possible after OCI and before classes started. I was certainly doing a lot of traveling during that time, but I was interviewing in multiple cities. It will, of course, depend on (a) how many call-backs you get and (b) how many cities you're interviewing in. I, for one, scheduled call-backs with firms I was less excited about for the first few weeks of classes. Luckily it never came to that, and I didn't have to undertake the crazy travel schedule that would have resulted.

It's certainly possible to have a vacation after OCI and before classes start (end September). You can, of course, delay your interview by two weeks because you were away in the Bahamas. But if you're serious about getting a job, you want to get to these employers as soon as possible, to show you're eager and that you want to work for them. (Firms aren't stupid. They know earlier generally means more interest.) So, I mean, if you want to go on vacation (or do anything else) during this time badly enough, you can do it -- just recognize that you might be limiting your options. Also note that some firms -- particularly smaller offices -- have pretty constricted windows during which they're doing interviews.

(None of which is to say you need to spend ALL of your time interviewing or on callbacks. But I personally just wouldn't schedule a get-away in advance. Also remember that it's easier to schedule travel on short notice during this time period (September) because it's off-peak.)

Also, for those of you who are on journals, particularly Law Rev, you should know that not insubstantial amounts of journal work is doled out in the period between OCI and when classes start. Ultimately, though, I really appreciated starting school, having offers in hand, and not having to manage both classes and call-backs and all of the associated stress and travel. Much easier to focus on 2L that way (to the extent, offer in hand, you even care about grades anymore -- some (though not many, at least at Chicago) of your classmates will be checked out for the next two years...).

Let me know if there's anything OCI-related I've forgotten or if there are other questions people have...

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - 2 Quarters Down (!!) & Taking Questions

Postby Knock » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:35 am

le_taon wrote:
Emma wrote:Thanks le_taon. I have a question about OCI myself. What is the timeline like between OCI and callbacks? Am I going to have any time to actually get some vacation between the end of OCI and the start of class?

Dany wrote:le_taon, if it's not too much trouble, I wouldn't mind a basic rundown of how OCI works at Chi. As in a basic timeline, how you bid on interviews, etc. Thanks!


I happen to have last year's OCI schedule right in front of me, in a stack of law firm paraphernalia I really ought to do something about. Anyway, bidding was July 30 - August 6. Results were released August 13th. OCI was Aug 24 - Sep 3. (This of course was the 2010 schedule, which is very much subject to change -- though OCI this year is Aug 23 - Sep 2.)

Basically, the bidding is by ranked lottery. Firms have X number of interview spots, which is generally more than sufficient for people who are really interested. There is no pre-screening based on grades or other criteria, though there is self-selection based on firms' expressed interest. So you rank your firms 1, 2, 3, etc. and then the bids are basically doled out by bid number and lottery number (i.e., everyone's first bid gets filled first in lottery number order, but if you don't get your fifth bid, it'll skip to your sixth, and so on).

There were some firms for which spots got a bit difficult (some of the San Francisco firms I think -- they had very few spots b/c ppl were interviewing for multiple offices, and some of the more desirable DC firms, too), but the big firms (e.g., Kirkland Chicago) had a ton of interview spots, and even with some of the smaller ones, it's a matter of priorities. I don't think anyone really lacks for interviews, and if you don't get a firm via the bidding system, it's generally possible, if you're interested enough, to get an interview day-of by saying 'hi' or by being an alternate (people start cancelling, particularly during the 2d week of OCI). Firms don't like to leave interested people in the dust.

Anyway, I think the only people for whom bidding became a serious issue were those bidding for >2 cities, because then it's a matter of managing the multiple bids into some rank orders. Career Services, understandably, encourages students to be judicious and reduce the number of markets they're bidding in, because it can be difficult to manage these multiple cities in terms of bidding. (That said, I managed just fine by being smart and honest about the firms I really wanted in each city.)

In terms of scheduling callbacks, I think most people tried to schedule as many callbacks as possible after OCI and before classes started. I was certainly doing a lot of traveling during that time, but I was interviewing in multiple cities. It will, of course, depend on (a) how many call-backs you get and (b) how many cities you're interviewing in. I, for one, scheduled call-backs with firms I was less excited about for the first few weeks of classes. Luckily it never came to that, and I didn't have to undertake the crazy travel schedule that would have resulted.

It's certainly possible to have a vacation after OCI and before classes start (end September). You can, of course, delay your interview by two weeks because you were away in the Bahamas. But if you're serious about getting a job, you want to get to these employers as soon as possible, to show you're eager and that you want to work for them. (Firms aren't stupid. They know earlier generally means more interest.) So, I mean, if you want to go on vacation (or do anything else) during this time badly enough, you can do it -- just recognize that you might be limiting your options. Also note that some firms -- particularly smaller offices -- have pretty constricted windows during which they're doing interviews.

(None of which is to say you need to spend ALL of your time interviewing or on callbacks. But I personally just wouldn't schedule a get-away in advance. Also remember that it's easier to schedule travel on short notice during this time period (September) because it's off-peak.)

Also, for those of you who are on journals, particularly Law Rev, you should know that not insubstantial amounts of journal work is doled out in the period between OCI and when classes start. Ultimately, though, I really appreciated starting school, having offers in hand, and not having to manage both classes and call-backs and all of the associated stress and travel. Much easier to focus on 2L that way (to the extent, offer in hand, you even care about grades anymore -- some (though not many, at least at Chicago) of your classmates will be checked out for the next two years...).

Let me know if there's anything OCI-related I've forgotten or if there are other questions people have...


Thanks for the awesome post, it is must appreciated.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ac8876a, Baby Gaga, mudiverse, ptz and 4 guests