UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
beepboopbeep

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby beepboopbeep » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:42 pm

Dany wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:Curious about the regents shuttle - where's it go?

It goes from the law school to Regents with stops at Windermere and the Del Prado in between. It's so much faster than the university ones.

Oh sweet. On what kind of schedule?

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:50 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
Dany wrote:

It goes from the law school to Regents with stops at Windermere and the Del Prado in between. It's so much faster than the university ones.

Every half hour I think? I might be wrong on that.

Jaqen

Postby Jaqen » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:04 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
Dany wrote:

Outdated but probably still accurate: --LinkRemoved--

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:43 pm

Jaqen wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
Dany wrote:

Outdated but probably still accurate: --LinkRemoved--

every hour between those times, but sometimes on the half hour mark and sometimes on the hour mark.

carrie mathis

Postby carrie mathis » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:03 am

Rising 3L here. neurotic question re: K&E scholar designation. wondering when they typically come out and what's the range. I have a 180.66 due to big grade improvements between 1 and 2L...not 2 confident but curious nonetheless.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:29 am

carrie mathis wrote:Rising 3L here. neurotic question re: K&E scholar designation. wondering when they typically come out and what's the range. I have a 180.66 due to big grade improvements between 1 and 2L...not 2 confident but curious nonetheless.

Last year, a 180.75 was not top 5%, based on the stupid postings of another Chicago student who I assume thought s/he was anonymous.

Also, this question is really lame. I hope this doesn't translate to other personality features.

EDIT: I should add that, given the more generous curves available to 2Ls in the form of seminars, small classes, etc, it seems more likely that the 5% threshold has risen, not fallen. The latter is not impossible, though.

carrie mathis

Postby carrie mathis » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:40 am

i know who u are IRL and i'm going to kick your ass next time i see you pussy

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:41 am

carrie mathis wrote:i know who u are IRL and i'm going to kick your ass next time i see you pussy

For posterity.

carrie mathis

Postby carrie mathis » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:43 am

thats pretty much my target area you hyper posting jag

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:45 am

carrie mathis wrote:thats pretty much my target area you hyper posting jag

....wut? Are you confusing posterity with posterior?

carrie mathis

Postby carrie mathis » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:47 am

yr ass is going be pretty confused boy tell you wut. u are consistently the chicago poster here on nights, weekends, whenever. with totally unhelpful info. GET A LIFE

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:50 am

carrie mathis wrote:yr ass is going be pretty confused boy tell you wut. u are consistently the chicago poster here on nights, weekends, whenever. with totally unhelpful info. GET A LIFE

I need to come back here more often. I miss TLS.

Anyway, if people want to know anything else about rough grade cutoffs for things, I think I have a pretty close idea of how last year broke down.

carrie mathis

Postby carrie mathis » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:55 am

^^PROMISES TO CULL THROUGH YEARS OF PAST THREADS TO GIVE YOU GRADE CUTOFFS AFTER TELLING OTHER POSTER IT"S LAME TO CARE ABOUT GRADE CUTOFFS (AND PROVIDES ZERO HELPFUL INFO RE: CUTOFFS) ON A LOVELY FRIDAY NIGHT IN JULY. #wherefungoestodie

carrie mathis

Postby carrie mathis » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:57 am

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:02 am

carrie mathis wrote:^^PROMISES TO CULL THROUGH YEARS OF PAST THREADS TO GIVE YOU GRADE CUTOFFS AFTER TELLING OTHER POSTER IT"S LAME TO CARE ABOUT GRADE CUTOFFS (AND PROVIDES ZERO HELPFUL INFO RE: CUTOFFS) ON A LOVELY FRIDAY NIGHT IN JULY. #wherefungoestodie

It's not unreasonable for rising 2Ls to care about grade cut offs for things like law review or so they know where they stand as OCI starts next month. I'm less sympathetic to an angry 3L looking to see if his sweet Bus Orgs grade will help him get a gold star on his transcript which serves absolutely no purpose other than so his mother can brag to the neighbors.

Sorry you don't get to update your LinkedIn with a fancy new award. You must be crushed.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:21 am

Both of you play nice or you're not getting ice cream.

Postby 2014 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:19 am

I enjoyed that

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:27 am

Haymarket wrote:
carrie mathis wrote:^^PROMISES TO CULL THROUGH YEARS OF PAST THREADS TO GIVE YOU GRADE CUTOFFS AFTER TELLING OTHER POSTER IT"S LAME TO CARE ABOUT GRADE CUTOFFS (AND PROVIDES ZERO HELPFUL INFO RE: CUTOFFS) ON A LOVELY FRIDAY NIGHT IN JULY. #wherefungoestodie

It's not unreasonable for rising 2Ls to care about grade cut offs for things like law review or so they know where they stand as OCI starts next month. I'm less sympathetic to an angry 3L looking to see if his sweet Bus Orgs grade will help him get a gold star on his transcript which serves absolutely no purpose other than so his mother can brag to the neighbors.

Sorry you don't get to update your LinkedIn with a fancy new award. You must be crushed.

Lol.

K&E doesn't even get your parents excited, your firm (unless you actually work at K&E) will be like "what the hell is this?" And my year at least a 180.66 wouldn't have put you in the running. HTH.

HoratioHornblower

Postby HoratioHornblower » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:42 am

Last edited by HoratioHornblower on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:48 am

2014 wrote:I enjoyed that

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:00 pm

Emma. wrote:
Haymarket wrote:

Lol.

K&E doesn't even get your parents excited, your firm (unless you actually work at K&E) will be like "what the hell is this?" And my year at least a 180.66 wouldn't have put you in the running. HTH.

Do the top 5% not graduate with highest honors (182+)? Asking if 180.66 will make the cut seems...senseless.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:59 pm

PopTorts13 wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Haymarket wrote:

Lol.

Do the top 5% not graduate with highest honors (182+)? Asking if 180.66 will make the cut seems...senseless.

Of people who are at Chicago all 3 years (transfers often benefit from questionable grade conversion of their 1L grades), someone graduates with highest honors something like every other year. If you look at the honors on the back of the transcript, you'll see the break down of what percent of graduates get what level of honors.
Last edited by Haymarket on Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:08 pm

PopTorts13 wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Haymarket wrote:

Lol.

High (not Highest) honors is 180.5. There is no fixed percentage that get high honors, but usually it will be around top 5-7%. Highest honors is a GPA of 182, but usually only 1 person manages to get that every year or two.

Haymarket wrote:transfers often benefit from questionable grade conversion of their 1L grades

No. Transfers just have their graduation GPA calculated purely on 2L and 3L grades.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:17 pm

Emma. wrote:
Haymarket wrote:transfers often benefit from questionable grade conversion of their 1L grades

No. Transfers just have their graduation GPA calculated purely on 2L and 3L grades.

In that case, I was wrong. They benefit from the higher curves sometimes permitted in smaller, upper-level classes.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Haymarket wrote:
Emma. wrote:

In that case, I was wrong. They benefit from the higher curves sometimes permitted in smaller, upper-level classes.

Yep.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”