UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
redbullvodka

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby redbullvodka » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:06 pm

Emma. wrote:
redbullvodka wrote:So obviously 1L grades haven't come back yet, but this question is going to get asked at an individual level once they do come out, so I figured rising 2Ls could benefit from this question being answered now:

Does anyone have an idea what ranks correspond to what GPAs? I feel like all I know for sure is that 177 is the stated median (in actuality probably trends high, but it's at least what employers are given) and that top 10% is vaguely around 180 / slightly under. Anyone have any idea about top third? Top quarter? The point at which grades actually give you a boost? Most of the answers to this online are buried in XOXO threads from 2007, so I feel like they're largely useless. Any 3Ls/recent alums have an idea?

Just had a hard time buying into "grade selective firms" in NY/Chicago wanting 178s. The WWW list for this year would seem to indicate it's higher.

It is hard to call those cut offs year to year. Top 10% after 1L could be anywhere between 179.5 and 180.5 (it was closer to the high end of that my year) 179 could be top 25%, could be top 30%.

You should probably plan your bidding like you planned law school apps, with targets, reaches, and safetys based on that GPA list. Don't feel like just because your GPA is, say, 178.2 you are wasting a bid on a firm with a range of 178.7 -- 181.3.

Do we have any GPA mile markers that are as predictive as, for example, "Stone" or "Kent" is for Columbia?

My guess is that historically 178-178.5 approximates the same cutoff as Stone (somewhere between 1/3-1/4), but I don't know if it has the same effect, since employers have to actually calculate it, rather than seeing "Stone" on your transcript. I guess this is market-specific question in some ways, but does anyone have a sense of what it takes to get Kirkland/Sidley in Chicago, or V5/V10 in NYC? Really lame that OCS doesn't provide a median to go along with the min/max. Makes them way less meaningful.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:28 pm

redbullvodka wrote:
Do we have any GPA mile markers that are as predictive as, for example, "Stone" or "Kent" is for Columbia?

My guess is that historically 178-178.5 approximates the same cutoff as Stone (somewhere between 1/3-1/4), but I don't know if it has the same effect, since employers have to actually calculate it, rather than seeing "Stone" on your transcript. I guess this is market-specific question in some ways, but does anyone have a sense of what it takes to get Kirkland/Sidley in Chicago, or V5/V10 in NYC? Really lame that OCS doesn't provide a median to go along with the min/max. Makes them way less meaningful.

OCS should give you average and top GPAs of people with offers at each firm. The only hard grade award Chicago has is Kirkland & Ellis Scholars, which are top 5%, and you don't know exactly what that cut off is, but can only extrapolate from those who get it.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:37 pm

redbullvodka wrote:
Emma. wrote:
redbullvodka wrote:So obviously 1L grades haven't come back yet, but this question is going to get asked at an individual level once they do come out, so I figured rising 2Ls could benefit from this question being answered now:

Does anyone have an idea what ranks correspond to what GPAs? I feel like all I know for sure is that 177 is the stated median (in actuality probably trends high, but it's at least what employers are given) and that top 10% is vaguely around 180 / slightly under. Anyone have any idea about top third? Top quarter? The point at which grades actually give you a boost? Most of the answers to this online are buried in XOXO threads from 2007, so I feel like they're largely useless. Any 3Ls/recent alums have an idea?

Just had a hard time buying into "grade selective firms" in NY/Chicago wanting 178s. The WWW list for this year would seem to indicate it's higher.

It is hard to call those cut offs year to year. Top 10% after 1L could be anywhere between 179.5 and 180.5 (it was closer to the high end of that my year) 179 could be top 25%, could be top 30%.

You should probably plan your bidding like you planned law school apps, with targets, reaches, and safetys based on that GPA list. Don't feel like just because your GPA is, say, 178.2 you are wasting a bid on a firm with a range of 178.7 -- 181.3.

178 is definitely below top 1/4. It might be closer to top 1/3 but could potentially be below that. You can look at the graduation honors to get some sense of markers, but because those are percentiles at graduation they aren't super helpful for 1L, and keep in mind that when they say ~20% get regular honors, they aren't saying TOP 20%, they are saying 20% of the class. So you have to add the 7-8% who get High and Highest honors, meaning that 179 is somewhere closer to top 30% at graduation.

No one can give you accurate cut offs for K&E, Sidley, Skadden, etc., because while grades are important, other factors like work experience and interviewing skill also make a huge difference. Just speculation on my part, but I'd also think that someone with a GPA of 178.2 that came almost entirely from 178s would perform less well than someone with a GPA of 178.2 that came from a mix of 177-180 grades.

skers

Postby skers » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:53 pm

Emma. wrote:
redbullvodka wrote:
Emma. wrote:

178 is definitely below top 1/4. It might be closer to top 1/3 but could potentially be below that. You can look at the graduation honors to get some sense of markers, but because those are percentiles at graduation they aren't super helpful for 1L, and keep in mind that when they say ~20% get regular honors, they aren't saying TOP 20%, they are saying 20% of the class. So you have to add the 7-8% who get High and Highest honors, meaning that 179 is somewhere closer to top 30% at graduation.

No one can give you accurate cut offs for K&E, Sidley, Skadden, etc., because while grades are important, other factors like work experience and interviewing skill also make a huge difference. Just speculation on my part, but I'd also think that someone with a GPA of 178.2 that came almost entirely from 178s would perform less well than someone with a GPA of 178.2 that came from a mix of 177-180 grades.

Well, I guess knowing it's kind of a crap shoot going in is it's own kind of reassuring.

jsjd1989

Postby jsjd1989 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:56 am

Quick calendar question. Exams are done on June 6th. However, on the website, it says papers are due June 23rd. What are these papers? Do people usually stick around to the end of June to complete these papers?

jbiresq

Postby jbiresq » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:47 pm

jsjd1989 wrote:Quick calendar question. Exams are done on June 6th. However, on the website, it says papers are due June 23rd. What are these papers? Do people usually stick around to the end of June to complete these papers?

That's for 2Ls/3Ls. Papers written for winter quarter classes will be due on June 23rd.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:04 pm

Does anybody have feedback on Chase vs Citibank? My current bank isn't in the area at all so I'm going to have to switch and I've heard these two are most convenient in the Hyde Park area.

ellewoods110

Postby ellewoods110 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:54 pm

Crowing wrote:Does anybody have feedback on Chase vs Citibank? My current bank isn't in the area at all so I'm going to have to switch and I've heard these two are most convenient in the Hyde Park area.

Citibank is probably more convenient because its in the law school, but Chase is the most convenient throughout Chicago, and there a couple Chase atm's/one branch in Hyde Park too. If you are not planning to stay in HP all three years, I suggest Chase.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:34 pm

I have Chase and like it. On the rare occasions I need to go to a real bank, it's right on the 172. I can deposit checks with my iPhone and there's a Chase ATM in the Walgreens near Treasure Island. And the law school cafe takes credit cards for even tiny purchases.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:18 am

Crowing wrote:Does anybody have feedback on Chase vs Citibank? My current bank isn't in the area at all so I'm going to have to switch and I've heard these two are most convenient in the Hyde Park area.

I'd second all those, though I have citibank. It's nice to have if you're spending a lot of time on campus, and there are still a lot of branches in the more popular neighborhoods in Chicago. But honestly it doesn't even matter that much - the vast majority of the times I get cash out, I get it from TI. There's a credit union close to the UofC that for some reason no one knows about, too.

One thing I will warn about citibank is that they offer nice deals for being affiliated with the UofC, and then do that thing where they start charging you for it and make it hard to leave once your eligibility stops (without at any point telling you that they're going to START charging you). It's mad sneaky.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:25 am

Starting a new account just for LS? Go with Citi.
Want to have that account for life? Go with Chase.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:28 am

Xifeng wrote:I can deposit checks with my iPhone

WHAT IS THIS TECHNOLOGY?????

Damnit I need a smart phone

ETA....bought a smart phone today
Last edited by WhiteyCakes on Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ellewoods110

Postby ellewoods110 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:47 am

WhiteyCakes wrote:
Xifeng wrote:I can deposit checks with my iPhone

WHAT IS THIS TECHNOLOGY?????

Damnit I need a smart phone

If only when I deposited the checks on my phone, it spit cash out the bottom of it, then it would be perfect.

Neal Patrick Harris

Postby Neal Patrick Harris » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:04 pm

Last edited by Neal Patrick Harris on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HoratioHornblower

Postby HoratioHornblower » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:32 pm

Last edited by HoratioHornblower on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gchatbrah

Postby gchatbrah » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:35 pm

sounds like a case of the Hammer. join the club.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:36 pm

gchatbrah wrote:sounds like a case of the Hammer. join the club.

You guys should maybe start a separate OCI thread...

Neal Patrick Harris

Postby Neal Patrick Harris » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:03 pm

Will do. Please reply :)

jsjd1989

Postby jsjd1989 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:20 pm

Anyone know if the 170 buses will still be running next year? I heard that they may be getting replaced, but it said in our July letter that they will still be around. I'm going to be living in a studio near regents, so obviously am hoping they stay! Also, what are the late night options for someone who lives near regents, but can't take advantage of the regent's shuttle? I heard the university shuttle isn't too reliable...

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:22 pm

jsjd1989 wrote:Anyone know if the 170 buses will still be running next year? I heard that they may be getting replaced, but it said in our July letter that they will still be around. I'm going to be living in a studio near regents, so obviously am hoping they stay! Also, what are the late night options for someone who lives near regents, but can't take advantage of the regent's shuttle? I heard the university shuttle isn't too reliable...

They will still be running. And why can't you use the regents shuttle? There are also general university shuttles that leave from the main campus and go right by the regents area that you can take at night.

jsjd1989

Postby jsjd1989 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:24 pm

Dany wrote:
jsjd1989 wrote:Anyone know if the 170 buses will still be running next year? I heard that they may be getting replaced, but it said in our July letter that they will still be around. I'm going to be living in a studio near regents, so obviously am hoping they stay! Also, what are the late night options for someone who lives near regents, but can't take advantage of the regent's shuttle? I heard the university shuttle isn't too reliable...

They will still be running. And why can't you use the regents shuttle? There are also general university shuttles that leave from the main campus and go right by the regents area that you can take at night.

I thought the regents shuttle would only be for people that actually live in regents...

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:25 pm

They don't really have any way of checking that so you can still take it if you live close to Regents.

jsjd1989

Postby jsjd1989 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:28 pm

great advice... will definitely do that, thanks!

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:39 pm

Yea, the contract was not going to be renewed, but then it was. So we'll have five more years of the 171/172. And I guess the 170 but that bus makes no sense.

The university shuttles are fine, but not super convenient for law school to regents - you can check them through http://uchicago.transloc.com/. The normal east/central/north/south aren't showing up yet because it's summer, but the east route is the one that goes near regents. It leaves from in front of the reg, though, so you'll have to walk from the law school to get it, or take the south to reynold's club and walk over. I don't really recommend the latter option as it will probably take you 40 minutes to get home. To my knowledge there's no better way to get between the two buildings; the university shuttles work with the main campus as a hub.

Curious about the regents shuttle - where's it go?

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:41 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:Curious about the regents shuttle - where's it go?

It goes from the law school to Regents with stops at Windermere and the Del Prado in between. It's so much faster than the university ones.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”