UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
nerv

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby nerv » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:10 am

Or if you want a combination of proximity to the law school and access downtown (really the same thing since you can take the 2 or the green line stop on 63rd), you can live in the grad residence hall on 60th street or any of myriad options slightly south of the law school. Far cheaper too.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:57 am

I never lived in Regents, I just think criticism of that AREA is unwarranted. And lol yeah sure, take the green line to and from school with your laptop.

Postby 2014 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:39 am

Reasons to live in Regents

1. Social hub - Somewhere else could be the social hub, but it's Regents for no clear reason
2. Views - Varies by person, but a tall building and the views that come with it has value
3. All in one - Conference center, pool, gym, restaurant all in the building
4. Square footage - I can only judge my apartment and my friends' that I've seen, but Regents actually has quite a bit of space in the apartments.
5. Proximity to 6, 28 and Metra - This applies to other buildings as well, and the 2 is a valid point (though it runs on a stupid schedule so it isn't THAT convenient)

You can't say that there is no reason to live here, because different people are going to value those five things differently. For some, the view isn't even worth the hassle of the longer elevator ride, they don't care about the social hub or are largely ambivalent between being in Regents or walking to Regents and dealing with the doorman to get to social things, etc. You also can find other buildings with perks that Regents does not have (nicer kitchens, maybe more square footage, nicer bathrooms, w/e) and it is rational to value those things too.

I agree that more people live here than probably should in light of the pros and cons of nearby buildings, but I don't think it's indefensible. For me (1) and (3) were really important, and while (3) might exist elsewhere, there is no substitute for the social hub factor. I knew no one in the city and the last thing I wanted is a barrier preventing me from getting to know my classmates who are now my friends.

Also seconding the lol at taking the L from down here.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:46 am

I picked regents mostly because it was super cheap rent and a known quantity. I didn't have to do any crazy apartment hunting and it's all I need in an apartment. Go ahead and ask some Del Prado residents what their rent went up to this year. Maybe some people with SAs can afford that, but I'll take regents any day. 8)

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:12 pm

nerv wrote:I have no idea why so many grad/professional students choose to live in regents. It is about as far away as you can get from campus and still be in hp, it's overpriced, and it's not exactly in a great area. I guess it has a good view of the lake or something.

The best reason to live in Regents is because that's where the rest of your 1L class lives.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:18 pm

2014 wrote:Reasons to live in Regents

Reasons not to live in Regents

1. Internet

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:56 pm

i'm choosing between plasma and LED. Can anyone speak to the lighting a north-facing living room would get @ around the tenth floor? Would it make a plasma unwatchable? TYIA.

EDIT: Regents

RodneyRuxin wrote:
2014 wrote:Reasons to live in Regents

Reasons not to live in Regents

1. Internet

Can you elaborate? Its too late but this is concerning to me. Does paying extra help at all?

Postby 2014 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:41 pm

The internet is pretty godawful, but it is tower dependent. Apparently south tower gets better than north. Ours flickers off occasionally and is usually somewhat slow, but it's not like you will go days or even hours without internet or anything. It's just a nuisance sometimes.

We pay to have it upgraded and it is not apparently better. I just haven't mustered up the energy to call MDU and wait an hour on hold to go back to the free plan.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:45 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:I picked regents mostly because it was super cheap rent

--ImageRemoved--

Postby 20141023 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:15 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:16 pm

oh my

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:23 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:To make a long story short

--ImageRemoved--

Postby 20141023 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:30 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:30 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:Well, I might be able to elaborate a little bit on the Internet connectivity at Regents' north tower (based on just 1 day of experience :lol: ). First, my leasing agent apparently forgot to send me a "Welcome Letter," which contained useful information like the fact that I needed to scan and send in an application to the local internet provider a couple of weeks in advance of my move-in date. As I mentioned earlier, I get 0 reception on my cell (literally "No Service") in my room, so I had to walk outside to get good enough reception to call MDU Communications (the internet provider). Fortunately, I already have my own gateway cable model / wireless router (LinkRemoved), so all I really needed from MDU was to have them validate my modem's MAC address on their end. Unfortunately, even while I was outside, AT&T couldn't seem to hold a call for over 30 minutes without dropping it, and MDU has approximately 2 people working at their office handling thousands of customers, so the wait time to talk to someone is well over 30 minutes. Consequently, I spent about 3 hours just chilling in my car in the parking lot of Treasure Island today trying to get through to someone at MDU just so that they could validate my damn modem.

After I finally got that taken care of, I went out and bought the thing that Emma mentioned (AT&T 3G MicroCell), which works wonderfully and I now have 5 bars no matter where I go in my apartment. AT&T actually reimbursed me for it, and they said that there are about 40 people in the vicinity using these things. The only issue with the MicroCell is the fact that it uses the Internet instead of a normal cell signal, so when my Internet is down, I can't make calls. This wouldn't be an issue if the Internet never went out, but it seems to go out for like 5 minutes at a time about once an hour here at Regents. I haven't really had any speed issues while it is working, but then again, I haven't tried anything like online gaming or something else that might be affected greatly by a laggy connection.

So anyway, that portion of Regents has been super-shitty. However, after looking around at other places earlier this year, a newly-renovated unit at Regents that nobody has ever lived in before was only about $100 more than a similar unit in the Algonquin, and about the same price or a little cheaper than something at Del Prado. (I don't give a shit about a "view" so I live on a lower floor and it really isn't that expensive.) I actually liked the look of the newer Regents units more than the reformed Algonquin ones or Del Prado, but that is all personal taste. :P

To make a long story short, there is a ton of stuff for my wife to do here during the day, which is the main reason we picked Regents. I think it is one of the more "safe-feeling" places in the area, and thereby one of the more "family-friendly" apartments for a comparatively reasonable price.

+1 to the thing about the leasing agent, and the thing about MDU. Although I wasn't dealing with them nearly as long as you were, it was still a comically long time considering what I was trying to do. I do give a shit about the view, so I'm super happy so far here...the view for me is totally worth whatever extra money and elevator time I am paying. I know there are probably lots of reasons to dislike Regents and not want to live here (and I already think I can discern a trend that anyone who works in a "management" position is relatively useless, and the rest of the folks in the building - the concierge, maintenance people, etc. - seem to be on the ball), I think that Regents gets a lot of the typical TLS-ish hating. People who choose not to live here for x, y, or z reasons believe that those are the same factors everyone should prioritize, and anyone who has different preferences, well, they're just LOLSTUPID. For a school so renowned for law and econ, you'd think more students would more readily grasp the concept of individual utility functions.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:47 pm

Dany wrote:oh my

He's in training for exams, getting his typing speed up!

Postby 20141023 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:43 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jaqen

Postby Jaqen » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:15 am

kappycaft1 wrote:After I finally got that taken care of, I went out and bought the thing that Emma mentioned (AT&T 3G MicroCell), which works wonderfully and I now have 5 bars no matter where I go in my apartment. AT&T actually reimbursed me for it, and they said that there are about 40 people in the vicinity using these things. The only issue with the MicroCell is the fact that it uses the Internet instead of a normal cell signal, so when my Internet is down, I can't make calls.

Deets?

Postby 20141023 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:39 pm

Postby 20141023 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:35 pm

redbullvodka

Postby redbullvodka » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:34 pm

So obviously 1L grades haven't come back yet, but this question is going to get asked at an individual level once they do come out, so I figured rising 2Ls could benefit from this question being answered now:

Does anyone have an idea what ranks correspond to what GPAs? I feel like all I know for sure is that 177 is the stated median (in actuality probably trends high, but it's at least what employers are given) and that top 10% is vaguely around 180 / slightly under. Anyone have any idea about top third? Top quarter? The point at which grades actually give you a boost? Most of the answers to this online are buried in XOXO threads from 2007, so I feel like they're largely useless. Any 3Ls/recent alums have an idea?

Just had a hard time buying into "grade selective firms" in NY/Chicago wanting 178s. The WWW list for this year would seem to indicate it's higher.
Last edited by redbullvodka on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:38 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:Random question (for tax-related purposes), but does anyone remember when they received their bill and when it was due for the Winter and Spring semesters last year?

2012-2013 Billing dates:

http://bursar.uchicago.edu/docs/grad-ug-billdates.html

Postby 20141023 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:32 pm

Jaqen

Postby Jaqen » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:52 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
Jaqen wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:After I finally got that taken care of, I went out and bought the thing that Emma mentioned (AT&T 3G MicroCell), which works wonderfully and I now have 5 bars no matter where I go in my apartment. AT&T actually reimbursed me for it, and they said that there are about 40 people in the vicinity using these things. The only issue with the MicroCell is the fact that it uses the Internet instead of a normal cell signal, so when my Internet is down, I can't make calls.

Deets?

You can buy one from AT&T for like $225, or you can talk to them about not having cell reception where you live and they will do a search to see if there are similar complaints or other MicroCell users in the area. There are apparently 2 AT&T cell towers within 4 blocks of Regents, but for whatever reason, their reception doesn't make it into a lot of the apartments. Instead of risking losing a customer, they will offer to pay for these things for you. Their over-the-phone customer service didn't have any in stock, so they credited my account with $250 so that I could go buy one from a local corporate retail store.

Ahh, very nice, thanks!

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:10 am

redbullvodka wrote:So obviously 1L grades haven't come back yet, but this question is going to get asked at an individual level once they do come out, so I figured rising 2Ls could benefit from this question being answered now:

Does anyone have an idea what ranks correspond to what GPAs? I feel like all I know for sure is that 177 is the stated median (in actuality probably trends high, but it's at least what employers are given) and that top 10% is vaguely around 180 / slightly under. Anyone have any idea about top third? Top quarter? The point at which grades actually give you a boost? Most of the answers to this online are buried in XOXO threads from 2007, so I feel like they're largely useless. Any 3Ls/recent alums have an idea?

Just had a hard time buying into "grade selective firms" in NY/Chicago wanting 178s. The WWW list for this year would seem to indicate it's higher.

It is hard to call those cut offs year to year. Top 10% after 1L could be anywhere between 179.5 and 180.5 (it was closer to the high end of that my year) 179 could be top 25%, could be top 30%.

You should probably plan your bidding like you planned law school apps, with targets, reaches, and safetys based on that GPA list. Don't feel like just because your GPA is, say, 178.2 you are wasting a bid on a firm with a range of 178.7 -- 181.3.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:14 pm

Cell phone reception in Regents sucks ass. You know where else reception sucks? Booth, where y'all will be doing OCI. I literally couldn't get a signal in that building, and I know plenty of people who were similarly situated.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”