UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Emma.

Gold

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Post by Emma. » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:01 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:How important is it to buy a suit before 1L? Or is that something that can wait until next summer?
Important.
You need ONE, but you won't need more than that until OCI.

Get one in plain charcoal grey or navy, and get it tailored so it actually fits properly.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:34 pm

2014 wrote:When is the ideal time to sign a lease for next year? Mine is up around labor day and I'm trying to figure out when it is panic time.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:05 pm

2014 wrote:
2014 wrote:When is the ideal time to sign a lease for next year? Mine is up around labor day and I'm trying to figure out when it is panic time.
I'd go for September 1st or July 1st.

It's just more convenient to have a full summer that you can sublet out if you need to, and to have a bit of time after/before classes if you have to move stuff. You want to get as close to the start or end of the year as you can, generally.

Caveat that I'm not a law student, just someone who went to UG here, so I've been avoiding answering your question in case someone with knowledge of the law school schedule popped in.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:07 pm

I think he meant when should he find a place by, not when should the lease itself start but maybe I misunderstood.

And I'm not sure, 2014. Are you looking in HP or downtown?

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:12 pm

Dany wrote:I think he meant when should he find a place by, not when should the lease itself start but maybe I misunderstood.

And I'm not sure, 2014. Are you looking in HP or downtown?
Oh, gotcha.

Well, also depends if you're in the city or can get here. I don't think I'd risk going craigslist/marketplace without being able to look at places, so that limits one's options.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:48 pm

I'm in the city all summer and looking downtown or south loop.

jmjm

Bronze

Post by jmjm » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:50 pm

A prospective applicant here. Is the following a reasonable goal post-JD?

IP protection / regulation work on behalf of public.

What types of employment exist for intellectual property related to technology for public good?

Have an engineering degree and substantial work ex in technology industry. Considering JD so I can go to my native country that is developing many new industries and help define their ip/copyright laws.

Aasterinian

New

Post by Aasterinian » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:41 pm

Out of curiousity, does anyone know if MAC's renovation of The Shoreland is finished/will be finished by Sept? Any law students planning on living there?

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:50 pm

Aasterinian wrote:Out of curiousity, does anyone know if MAC's renovation of The Shoreland is finished/will be finished by Sept? Any law students planning on living there?
Just by having walked by it last week, I would be shocked if it were ready by then. It still looks very in-progress.

The shoreland is awesome, though. Lived there in UG. I'll be very envious of anyone who moves there once it's open.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Aasterinian

New

Post by Aasterinian » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:35 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
Aasterinian wrote:Out of curiousity, does anyone know if MAC's renovation of The Shoreland is finished/will be finished by Sept? Any law students planning on living there?
Just by having walked by it last week, I would be shocked if it were ready by then. It still looks very in-progress.

The shoreland is awesome, though. Lived there in UG. I'll be very envious of anyone who moves there once it's open.
It's been closed down for a while, hasn't it? but the exterior is gorgeous. This guy I talked to from MAC a couple months ago said that the apartments there will have in-unit laundry(!!!) and be priced somewhere between Regents and the DP. Sounds like it's going to be a really nice place, esp for students.

ellewoods110

Bronze

Post by ellewoods110 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:16 pm

Aasterinian wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:

It's been closed down for a while, hasn't it? but the exterior is gorgeous. This guy I talked to from MAC a couple months ago said that the apartments there will have in-unit laundry(!!!) and be priced somewhere between Regents and the DP. Sounds like it's going to be a really nice place, esp for students.
This article (with pictures) is from March, but it anticipates August occupancy.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:08 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:12 pm

Regulus wrote:So... I just moved to Regents... And apparently AT&T cell phones get 0~1 bars and the connectivity is "E" (when it even has one). Anyone else have this issue? Also, anyone know if Verizon gets better reception? (If it does, I probably need to make the switch quickly because I have to walk outside to receive/make a call :| )
Welcome to Regents.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:34 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:
Regulus wrote:So... I just moved to Regents... And apparently AT&T cell phones get 0~1 bars and the connectivity is "E" (when it even has one). Anyone else have this issue? Also, anyone know if Verizon gets better reception? (If it does, I probably need to make the switch quickly because I have to walk outside to receive/make a call :| )
Welcome to Regents.
Wonderful.

AspiringAcademic

Bronze

Post by AspiringAcademic » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:53 pm

Verizon gets much better reception.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:43 pm

Does AT&T still sell those booster things that you connect to your internet and give you better reception in your home? If you are already committed to AT&T, one of those might make more sense than switching service. AT&T should generally be OK in Chicago (it works fine at school).

Edit: This thing. http://www.att.com/standalone/3gmicroce ... mnFileRTK1
Last edited by Emma. on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ellewoods110

Bronze

Post by ellewoods110 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:45 pm

If you don't want to make the switch, I used this, and just put my phone in the place it got the best reception (near the windows typically), and I had no problems making calls.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NB ... UTF8&psc=1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:04 pm

Verizon is the only carrier that gets consistent service in Regents (it still isn't great, but it is adequate)

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:03 pm

Lolregents

nerv

New

Post by nerv » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:02 pm

I have no idea why so many grad/professional students choose to live in regents. It is about as far away as you can get from campus and still be in hp, it's overpriced, and it's not exactly in a great area. I guess it has a good view of the lake or something.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:40 pm

nerv wrote:I have no idea why so many grad/professional students choose to live in regents. It is about as far away as you can get from campus and still be in hp, it's overpriced, and it's not exactly in a great area. I guess it has a good view of the lake or something.
Being as close as you can to campus is not one of my goals. The 6 line, the lake, and being in a nicer area than the west side of HP is worth it IMO to be by the lake.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:47 pm

When I was here visiting, that was my experience. I was happily surprised to find that I have decent reception in my place, though...4 bars with 3G right now (although it varies from spot to spot). Hopefully you get something worked out, man.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:57 am

Xifeng wrote:
nerv wrote:I have no idea why so many grad/professional students choose to live in regents. It is about as far away as you can get from campus and still be in hp, it's overpriced, and it's not exactly in a great area. I guess it has a good view of the lake or something.
Being as close as you can to campus is not one of my goals. The 6 line, the lake, and being in a nicer area than the west side of HP is worth it IMO to be by the lake.
Those are great reasons to live east of Lake Park, but not great reasons to live in Regents.

Personally I'd pick the Del Prado, Algonquin, Scholar's/Mayfair, or any other random building in the area over Regents, and especially over what's affectionately known to UGs as the student ghetto (53rd/Woodlawn et environs). But I can't really criticize first-year grad students for going with it - I don't really want to deal with a real estate search this fall, either. And west Hyde Park at least saves you from the 171/172 on winter mornings. Shit is rough.

nerv

New

Post by nerv » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:10 am

Or if you want a combination of proximity to the law school and access downtown (really the same thing since you can take the 2 or the green line stop on 63rd), you can live in the grad residence hall on 60th street or any of myriad options slightly south of the law school. Far cheaper too.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:57 am

I never lived in Regents, I just think criticism of that AREA is unwarranted. And lol yeah sure, take the green line to and from school with your laptop.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”