UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Mal Reynolds

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:27 pm

canarykb wrote:Does anyone know more about the Professionalism & Leadership Day during orientation? Why would or wouldn't I want to attend? Kind of confused/intimidated by the Myers-Briggs of it all.

They do a Meyers Briggs test? I saw pictures of the event somewhere online and it looks like everyone pretty much attends. I'm gonna go mostly because I'll have bought a new suit at that point but I doubt you should have any reason to fear. I'm a 0L btw so I could be totally wrong.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:23 pm

From what I remember it was pretty fun. And if you do it you priority for some events during the school year (or at least that's how it was for us). Myers-Briggs is just part of it, when they give you your results and then some people from OCS talk about the different profiles and how personalities can impact office life, etc.

Honestly I highly encourage all you 0Ls to go to/participate in everything because it's a great way to meet your classmates before school! And you learn some useful stuff.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:27 pm

Yeah yeah... it's all fun and games until they tell you you're an ISTJ.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:29 pm

You were FURIOUS :lol:

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:09 pm

Dany wrote:Yeah yeah... it's all fun and games until they tell you you're an ISTJ.

Is that not a good one? Which one will make me an ALPHA lawyer bro?

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:12 pm

ISTJ basically means aspie as fuck, hence why she was probably upset to be branded as such

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:37 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:ISTJ basically means aspie as fuck, hence why she was probably upset to be branded as such

I initially asked what aspie means but I did a little research and now get it... perhaps I am one as well... introverted?

AspiringAcademic

Postby AspiringAcademic » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:38 pm

canarykb wrote:Does anyone know more about the Professionalism & Leadership Day during orientation? Why would or wouldn't I want to attend? Kind of confused/intimidated by the Myers-Briggs of it all.

I honestly found it pretty useless, even though they do strongly encourage it. The day around Hyde Park was much more fun.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:42 pm

AspiringAcademic wrote:

I honestly found it pretty useless, even though they do strongly encourage it. The day around Hyde Park was much more fun.

This is a pretty accurate description. The programming itself a waste of time, but what better things do you have to do that day? It is a good opportunity to get to know your classmates. Also, free food.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:44 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:ISTJ basically means aspie as fuck, hence why she was probably upset to be branded as such

I've consistently been an ISTJ over the last ten years :(

AspiringAcademic

Postby AspiringAcademic » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:08 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:

I've consistently been an ISTJ over the last ten years :(

So, [deleted] Briggs categories are more or less complete BS. Its subcomponents correlate heavily with standard Big Five scales, though, so lets take a look at those:

I: This is extroversion in the Big 5. You're low on it. This is likely not a surprise.
S: This is openness to experience. You're low on it. Conventionality is apparently your thing.
T: This is agreeableness. You're low on it. Depending on how low, this might be something to think about.
J: This is conscientiousness. You're high on it. This is probably a good thing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-Brig ... r#Big_Five

As far as I can tell, MB is only used by institutions that buy into Jungian mysticism or think that a scale they have to pay to use is inherently superior to one that is available for free and widely employed in the scientific literature. I was kind of sad to see that someone from career services takes it seriously.

LSATSCORES2012

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:19 pm

I'm INTJ (/borderline INTP). Hehe.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:25 pm

Well I guess this conversation was inevitable.

Postby 2014 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:57 am

Just BS the [deleted] briggs test if you don't want to do it, there is no individual review or anything. It's kind of interesting to see if you end up in one of the lawlyer categories though. There are a few where hardly anyone in the general population falls into, but a significant chunk of lawlyers do.

Professionalism and leadership day was largely worthless, but that is time that your classmates will be meeting each other that you won't be if you don't show up. You should probably go.

cwid1391

Postby cwid1391 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:18 am

I got ENTJ on the test I just took. I don't feel like I'm extroverted, but definitely am more so than a lot (perhaps most) of 0L's that I've met.

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:34 am

Protip: if you're interested in being on the LSA (student government), then make sure to make yourself known during orientation. The vote to get on takes place soon afterwards and before people really know each other, so it's pretty much a name recognition contest. Basically, if you get up during the incoming students dinner and tap dance on the table, you're pretty much guaranteed a spot.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:19 pm

THE GUNNING STARTS NOW! But that is true, and same goes for big groups like ACS, Fed Soc, etc. People vote for people they know.

Please don't campaign on TLS. Or do :lol:

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:31 pm

How important is the glass menage photo? It says that it will be used by employers?

courtneylove

Postby courtneylove » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:21 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:How important is the glass menage photo? It says that it will be used by employers?

Employers get a copy of the Glass Menagerie at OCI and other things, I presume, and supposedly look at your picture. Being a gargoyle is probably better than looking like a mess.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:08 pm

Your picture is mostly used for: classmate creeping, figuring out what the person buying/selling your books looks like, hunting down someone's name you forgot, etc. Don't suit up or anything, but look decent.

ETA and as you know it gets sent to admits, so basically a ton of random people see it

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:25 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:Protip: if you're interested in being on the LSA (student government), then make sure to make yourself known during orientation. The vote to get on takes place soon afterwards and before people really know each other, so it's pretty much a name recognition contest. Basically, if you get up during the incoming students dinner and tap dance on the table, you're pretty much guaranteed a spot.

Holy shit. 0Ls, please please please don't plan any of your orientation activities around an interest in LSA.

Postby 2014 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:48 am

When is the ideal time to sign a lease for next year? Mine is up around labor day and I'm trying to figure out when it is panic time.

AspiringAcademic

Postby AspiringAcademic » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:23 pm

2014 wrote:When is the ideal time to sign a lease for next year? Mine is up around labor day and I'm trying to figure out when it is panic time.

Same question^

Also, other Regents people, have they contacted you about renewing for next year? I know some people who moved in early have heard, but I haven't (9/1 lease date).

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:35 pm

AspiringAcademic wrote:
2014 wrote:When is the ideal time to sign a lease for next year? Mine is up around labor day and I'm trying to figure out when it is panic time.

Same question^

Also, other Regents people, have they contacted you about renewing for next year? I know some people who moved in early have heard, but I haven't (9/1 lease date).

already renewed moved in same date.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:38 am

Has anyone followed up with Quinn after the Quinnception?
I was going to wait for grades to come out (so I have a full transcript), but I'm thinking that would put me behind people at other schools who have grades released in June

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”