UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby 20141023 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:34 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

happygrl

Postby happygrl » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:33 pm

Incoming 1L here with a question re: spring quarter appellate brief. The description on the website suggests that the sections are divided into teams for this, but nothing I've read on TLS indicates that is the case. Does dividing into teams refer to which side you are assigned, or do you actually do the work in teams?

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:48 pm

happygrl wrote:Incoming 1L here with a question re: spring quarter appellate brief. The description on the website suggests that the sections are divided into teams for this, but nothing I've read on TLS indicates that is the case. Does dividing into teams refer to which side you are assigned, or do you actually do the work in teams?

You don't work on it in teams. You'll get assigned either appellant or appellee and work on it yourself. The only thing that was in teams my 1L year were the ungraded oral arguments, but I believe those are now individual too.

Postby 2014 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:07 pm

Yeah oral arguments were solo this year (and should be a source of approximately zero anxiety)

cwid1391

Postby cwid1391 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:19 am

Dany wrote:You don't work on it in teams. You'll get assigned either appellant or appellee and work on it yourself.

Thank. God.

Does anyone out there actually enjoy working in groups on anything?

happygrl

Postby happygrl » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:18 am

Good to know, thanks for the clarification!

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:20 pm

Kind of off topic, but generally how hard is it to get an appointment at the Student Health Services? I need to get a referral from them ASAP as soon as the coverage kicks in but they won't let me schedule this far in advance.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:30 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Kind of off topic, but generally how hard is it to get an appointment at the Student Health Services? I need to get a referral from them ASAP as soon as the coverage kicks in but they won't let me schedule this far in advance.

Varies. Sometimes they'll be able to see you the same day, sometime it can take more than a week. I'm not sure when coverage starts, but I'd imagine you won't have to wait too long if you are trying to get an appointment before school is back in session.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:32 pm

Emma. wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:Kind of off topic, but generally how hard is it to get an appointment at the Student Health Services? I need to get a referral from them ASAP as soon as the coverage kicks in but they won't let me schedule this far in advance.

Varies. Sometimes they'll be able to see you the same day, sometime it can take more than a week. I'm not sure when coverage starts, but I'd imagine you won't have to wait too long if you are trying to get an appointment before school is back in session.

They used to have a reputation for telling every girl that she was pregnant, but I've heard they've gotten a lot better in the past few years.

jbiresq

Postby jbiresq » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:55 am

They will often give you a referral without an appointment. I've gotten three that way.

manti5

Postby manti5 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:47 am

I'm sure this has been asked elsewhere, but I am trying to get a good grasp on parking. Is the only parking available for 1L's the free parking on the street?

I plan on living on the North side (born and raised in Chicago, have family and friends up there already). I am concerned that I would need to arrive at 8 everyday just to secure parking, even if I have a later class. Does this sound correct? Or would it be feasible to drive down around 9 and snag a street spot?

I've found my way to various parking permit apps on the website, but it sounds like those go entirely to 2Ls and 3Ls.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:21 am

manti5 wrote:I'm sure this has been asked elsewhere, but I am trying to get a good grasp on parking. Is the only parking available for 1L's the free parking on the street?

I plan on living on the North side (born and raised in Chicago, have family and friends up there already). I am concerned that I would need to arrive at 8 everyday just to secure parking, even if I have a later class. Does this sound correct? Or would it be feasible to drive down around 9 and snag a street spot?

I've found my way to various parking permit apps on the website, but it sounds like those go entirely to 2Ls and 3Ls.

It is not feasible to count on street parking unless you arrive before 8. Some days you might get lucky, but the street parking fills up very quickly between about 7:40 and 8. To park close to school you should plan on getting there by 7:45. It is sometimes possible to find street spots on 62nd or 63rd later into the morning, but that has its own downsides.

The Law School lot student spots go pretty much exclusively to 3Ls, but 1Ls can get a spot in the Harris or SSA lots (each less than 1 block from school) for $80/month. Apparently there's also a free lot somewhere ~5 blocks away, but I have never actually laid eyes on this.

Forcing yourself to commit to being at school by 7:45 isn't necessarily a bad thing though. Traffic is pretty light driving south that early, and you end up with a block of time in the morning where you can get a bunch of work done without distractions.

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:09 am

How likely is getting a law school lot spot as a 2L?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:34 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:How likely is getting a law school lot spot as a 2L?

Extremely unlikely. The spots are assigned first to 3L carpools, then to 3L individuals, then to 2L carpools. I think this year there was a single 2L carpool and all the other spots went to 3Ls. There are only 20 or so student spots in the lot.

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:05 am

Is there any setting that makes the system just email you when a grade is posted?

Postby 2014 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:31 am

The free lot is too far away to deal with every day, but it would be a good backup if you decided to make a good faith effort to get to school by 7:45 and missed it every once in a while. It is located at 60th and Stony Island, which is about 5 blocks east of the law school.

I fully advocate showing up early btw, it's really hard to motivate yourself to work in the afternoons/evenings, after spending 10 hours at school, easier to do so in the morning imo at least.

manti5

Postby manti5 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:29 pm

These comments on parking are very helpful. I'll be going to school after 3 years working, so as much as I can structure the school day like a standard work day, the better. Sounds like getting there early works best.

Postby 2014 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:15 pm

Cross Poast from the 2016 thread:

They gave us the who worked where list for this summer, and since it is relevant to your interests...
(I do not certify any of this, it is based on my glancing at it quickly, there could be slight variance)

46/183 (25%) of 1Ls have firm jobs, the vast majority of which are market paying, but I can't certify 100%

193/238 (81%) of 2Ls are at firms, I won't even begin to decide whether they are market paying but again the vast majority is a safe assumption. Full disclosure, there might be people who are splitting that are counted twice, so that number might be deviate a little (either upward - I see at least one split between firm/judge, or downward - people doing 2 firms). 49 of these are at V10s, 101 at V30s.

Of those that are not at firms:
3/238 (1.3%) corporate
16/238 (6.7%) government
1/238 (.4%) judge
1/238 (.4%) non-law
23/238 (9.6%) public interest

I'm missing one person somewhere idc.

Of the 45 not at firms, some did not do OCI, I do not know how many, but it is some. The corporate jobs appear legit, and surely some of the public interest jobs were competitive, or what the people targeted. That being said, some of those 45 struck out and I have no way to estimate what portion of them are dissatisfied with their results.

So a conservative percentage of successful outcomes is 80-83%, an ambitious estimate might get close to 95%.

All things considered, I'd say U.Chi killed it on the jerbs this year, you all should be optimistic.

If there is any specific info I can get for anyone let me know and I'll do so subject to my discretion on if I think it shouldn't be public knowledge. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather.

E- Bils did a more diligence and confirmed that 80-85% is accurate based on the number at firms (175) divided by the estimated class size of 210. This removes the double counted individuals and should be pretty accurate.
Last edited by 2014 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:37 am

2014 wrote:Cross Poast from the 2016 thread:

They gave us the who worked where list for this summer, and since it is relevant to your interests...
(I do not certify any of this, it is based on my glancing at it quickly, there could be slight variance)

46/183 (25%) of 1Ls have firm jobs, the vast majority of which are market paying, but I can't certify 100%

193/238 (81%) of 2Ls are at firms, I won't even begin to decide whether they are market paying but again the vast majority is a safe assumption. Full disclosure, there might be people who are splitting that are counted twice, so that number might be deviate a little (either upward - I see at least one split between firm/judge, or downward - people doing 2 firms). 49 of these are at V10s, 101 at V30s.

Of those that are not at firms:
3/238 (1.3%) corporate
16/238 (6.7%) government
1/238 (.4%) judge
1/238 (.4%) non-law
23/238 (9.6%) public interest

I'm missing one person somewhere idc.

Of the 45 not at firms, some did not do OCI, I do not know how many, but it is some. The corporate jobs appear legit, and surely some of the public interest jobs were competitive, or what the people targeted. That being said, some of those 45 struck out and I have no way to estimate what portion of them are dissatisfied with their results.

So a conservative percentage of successful outcomes is 80-83%, an ambitious estimate might get close to 95%.

All things considered, I'd say U.Chi killed it on the jerbs this year, you all should be optimistic.

If there is any specific info I can get for anyone let me know and I'll do so subject to my discretion on if I think it shouldn't be public knowledge. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather.

Don't forget that some people opted out of the list, likely those not working firm jobs, so that will drive down the numbers. I noticed at least 2 2L's missing on my first glance through, both doing PI. I think a better low-end estimate is 75% got firm jobs, maybe as low as 70%.

Also, 95% is to high an ambitious estimate for total successful outcomes. Probably between 85 and 90% tops, closer to 85 is my guess.

But yes, overall, the numbers are pretty good.

Postby 2014 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:11 am

I forgot the opt outs, that's a fair point

Edited my original post with the following:

"Bils did a more diligence and confirmed that 80-85% is accurate based on the number at firms (175) divided by the estimated class size of 210. This removes the double counted individuals and should be trusted."

While the opt outs are relevant, it is unlikely that brings the firm percentage below 80%

AspiringAcademic

Postby AspiringAcademic » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:48 pm

The writing competition is totally worth all the pain and suffering, right?

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:14 pm

AspiringAcademic wrote:The writing competition is totally worth all the pain and suffering, right?

Personally yes :lol:

But seriously, at this point just keep going! It'll be over soon :)

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:15 pm

nm did the legwork.
Last edited by Mad Hatter on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redbullvodka

Postby redbullvodka » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:27 pm

2014 wrote:I forgot the opt outs, that's a fair point

Edited my original post with the following:

"Bils did a more diligence and confirmed that 80-85% is accurate based on the number at firms (175) divided by the estimated class size of 210. This removes the double counted individuals and should be trusted."

While the opt outs are relevant, it is unlikely that brings the firm percentage below 80%

FWIW, I data mined the shit out of that list, pulling the double/triple-counted people out, and got ~83% at firms. The opt-outs shouldn't have any effect on that, because I calculated the class size based on the class of 2014's 1L class size, and then added the ~20 average transfer size, and then added 1 for good measure, to get to 210. I didn't do anything with the other non-firm options, because there are likely people missing from the opt-out option.

All in all, pretty impressive, but still not boom times (89% was the last boom-time OCI number). And, arguably, class of 2013 did just a little better, as they managed an 81% with a massive class size (relatively speaking, of course). I'm excited to see what c/o 2013 looks like 9 months out.

canarykb

Postby canarykb » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:54 pm

Does anyone know more about the Professionalism & Leadership Day during orientation? Why would or wouldn't I want to attend? Kind of confused/intimidated by the Myers-Briggs of it all.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”