UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
badaboom61
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby badaboom61 » Tue May 21, 2013 8:34 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:Yeah, I'll be in the North Tower too. 8)

One thing to keep on mind is that the higher up you go on floors, the more money you'll be paying, so if you're trying to keep your costs down, selecting an apartment based on "view" might not be the best idea.


Also, you'll save yourself about a minute in the elevator living on 8 as compared to say, 28. Two minutes if you come home at 5:30. It's not much but it adds right up.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby 2014 » Tue May 21, 2013 9:40 pm

Fyi students live in both towers, it's a fairly even split.

I think north is the superior tower though, it is closer to the pool, gym, and grill.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Rahviveh » Thu May 23, 2013 2:00 am

Any recs for furniture stores in the area besides IKEA?

badaboom61
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby badaboom61 » Thu May 23, 2013 8:21 am

ChampagnePapi wrote:Any recs for furniture stores in the area besides IKEA?


IKEA is probably an hour away by car, so it would be a day trip. Other than that... not really. Furniture is often given away or sold cheap on lawannounce, but that's pretty random. Craigslist is usually a good bet for furniture if you have the means to transport it.

User avatar
ellewoods110
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:39 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby ellewoods110 » Thu May 23, 2013 8:59 am

ChampagnePapi wrote:Any recs for furniture stores in the area besides IKEA?


There's Ashley Furniture and Value City Furniture for pretty affordable/not-super-well-made-but-nice-looking furniture in the area and they will deliver.

User avatar
cwid1391
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby cwid1391 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:50 am

Some people at ASW mentioned that they rented their furniture? Any thoughts about that? Cost?

User avatar
Greenandgold
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Greenandgold » Thu May 23, 2013 10:44 am

cwid1391 wrote:Some people at ASW mentioned that they rented their furniture? Any thoughts about that? Cost?


That's what my roommate and I do. Like $175 a month for a couch, chair, and coffee table in the living room, then a table with 4 chairs in the dining room and both of our bedrooms furnished. I think it's the way to go if you won't be buying furniture that you plan on keeping for a while.

ETA: They deliver it and set it all up for you as well. Was pretty nice moving in and a few hours later having the place fully furnished with no effort on our part.

StarJammer
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:05 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby StarJammer » Fri May 24, 2013 7:07 pm

Greenandgold wrote:
cwid1391 wrote:Some people at ASW mentioned that they rented their furniture? Any thoughts about that? Cost?


That's what my roommate and I do. Like $175 a month for a couch, chair, and coffee table in the living room, then a table with 4 chairs in the dining room and both of our bedrooms furnished. I think it's the way to go if you won't be buying furniture that you plan on keeping for a while.

ETA: They deliver it and set it all up for you as well. Was pretty nice moving in and a few hours later having the place fully furnished with no effort on our part.


Does the company that does this have a website?

User avatar
Greenandgold
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Greenandgold » Fri May 24, 2013 8:56 pm

StarJammer wrote:
Greenandgold wrote:
cwid1391 wrote:Some people at ASW mentioned that they rented their furniture? Any thoughts about that? Cost?


That's what my roommate and I do. Like $175 a month for a couch, chair, and coffee table in the living room, then a table with 4 chairs in the dining room and both of our bedrooms furnished. I think it's the way to go if you won't be buying furniture that you plan on keeping for a while.

ETA: They deliver it and set it all up for you as well. Was pretty nice moving in and a few hours later having the place fully furnished with no effort on our part.


Does the company that does this have a website?


http://www.cort.com

StarJammer
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:05 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby StarJammer » Fri May 24, 2013 9:48 pm

Greenandgold wrote:
StarJammer wrote:
Does the company that does this have a website?


http://www.cort.com


Thanks!

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby 2014 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:44 am

Will we get our elective grades back before our other ones, or do they just grade the 3Ls/LLMs first and sit on the 1L grades?

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue May 28, 2013 11:32 am

2014 wrote:Will we get our elective grades back before our other ones, or do they just grade the 3Ls/LLMs first and sit on the 1L grades?

Depends on the professor.

User avatar
courtneylove
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:24 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby courtneylove » Tue May 28, 2013 2:24 pm

re: furniture questions, I bought my staple furniture (desk/couch/bed/table) at a Macy's in my state and they shipped it from the warehouse and delivered to my Chi apartment for free. I was able to schedule the delivery date and time. The advantage was paying my home state's sales tax, and not 9.25%! Other department stores may do the same. Plus, labor day sales!

User avatar
jbiresq
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby jbiresq » Tue May 28, 2013 6:01 pm

Greenandgold wrote:
StarJammer wrote:
Greenandgold wrote:
cwid1391 wrote:Some people at ASW mentioned that they rented their furniture? Any thoughts about that? Cost?


That's what my roommate and I do. Like $175 a month for a couch, chair, and coffee table in the living room, then a table with 4 chairs in the dining room and both of our bedrooms furnished. I think it's the way to go if you won't be buying furniture that you plan on keeping for a while.

ETA: They deliver it and set it all up for you as well. Was pretty nice moving in and a few hours later having the place fully furnished with no effort on our part.


Does the company that does this have a website?


http://www.cort.com


They sell their used furniture too: http://chicagoil.cortclearancefurniture.com/

I furnished an entire apartment for a good price. Stuff wasn't bad either.

Lurkington
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:18 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Lurkington » Fri May 31, 2013 6:34 pm

.
Last edited by Lurkington on Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

badaboom61
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby badaboom61 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:00 am

Lurkington wrote:Anyone have a recommendation for a realtor? Preferably one who does rentals as well (I'm on the fence between renting and buying)


There are apartment locator services in Chicago which will basically broker an apartment for free (apt management will eventually pay the fee). Student Space was decent a few years ago, although I think they're having some management issues of late. I'm sure there are plenty of others. Also, MAC property owns most of the property in Hyde Park, although they're terrible management, but not a bad option if you don't mind that.

I'm not too familiar with the realty market, though. If you want to stay in Chicago for 3 years or less, renting is almost certainly a better option.

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby beepboopbeep » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:05 am

badaboom61 wrote:
Lurkington wrote:Anyone have a recommendation for a realtor? Preferably one who does rentals as well (I'm on the fence between renting and buying)


There are apartment locator services in Chicago which will basically broker an apartment for free (apt management will eventually pay the fee). Student Space was decent a few years ago, although I think they're having some management issues of late. I'm sure there are plenty of others. Also, MAC property owns most of the property in Hyde Park, although they're terrible management, but not a bad option if you don't mind that.

I'm not too familiar with the realty market, though. If you want to stay in Chicago for 3 years or less, renting is almost certainly a better option.


MAC is the big one for rentals. There's also TLC, which is significantly more competent and better-priced. If you're looking at smaller rental companies, McKey/Poague and Parker/Holtzmann have a good presence and are generally regarded better than MAC. Most undergrads find stuff on http://marketplace.uchicago.edu/. Lots of small independent brokers.

I don't really know the realty market either, but Urban Search is pretty big on the high end, from what I can tell. From there you see yard signs for the standard nationwide realtors plus some other local Chicago ones, but I don't know of any others aside from Urban Search that specialize in the area. There are probably some.

ETA that I've heard good things about the price/quality of UChicago grad housing.

User avatar
WhiteyCakes
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby WhiteyCakes » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:10 pm

Around what time would loan refunds be disbursed? I am trying to figure out how long my savings will need to last...

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Dany » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:26 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:Around what time would loan refunds be disbursed? I am trying to figure out how long my savings will need to last...

End of September right around when classes start. So you'll need to cover living expenses up through the end of September but will have loan money for October rent/living expenses.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Crowing » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:03 pm

Does anybody have any feedback regarding 5550 S Dorchester? The reviews for it are really good, and the location seems great and the rent reasonable. My SO and I are driving to Chicago next week to look at some apartments. We are also interested in Scholar's Corner, Del Prado, Algonquin, and Windermere right now but I'm trying to find out more before we start calling about availability.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Dany » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:10 pm

Crowing wrote:Does anybody have any feedback regarding 5550 S Dorchester? The reviews for it are really good, and the location seems great and the rent reasonable. My SO and I are driving to Chicago next week to look at some apartments. We are also interested in Scholar's Corner, Del Prado, Algonquin, and Windermere right now but I'm trying to find out more before we start calling about availability.

The only issue I see with it is that it looks like a ~5 minute walk to the 171 stop to get to school and an ~8 minute walk to the 6 to get downtown. One of the best things (IMO) about Algonquin/Del Prado/Regents is that all are right next to bus stops for school and downtown. When it's cold or snowy or rainy, I love not having to walk a few blocks to get to transportation. That's pretty minor though, and it might not matter to you.

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby beepboopbeep » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:16 pm

Dany wrote:
Crowing wrote:Does anybody have any feedback regarding 5550 S Dorchester? The reviews for it are really good, and the location seems great and the rent reasonable. My SO and I are driving to Chicago next week to look at some apartments. We are also interested in Scholar's Corner, Del Prado, Algonquin, and Windermere right now but I'm trying to find out more before we start calling about availability.

The only issue I see with it is that it looks like a ~5 minute walk to the 171 stop to get to school and an ~8 minute walk to the 6 to get downtown. One of the best things (IMO) about Algonquin/Del Prado/Regents is that all are right next to bus stops for school and downtown. When it's cold or snowy or rainy, I love not having to walk a few blocks to get to transportation. That's pretty minor though, and it might not matter to you.


There's a 171 stop at 55th and Kenwood, but especially in the winter the bus drivers like to forget that it exists.

Otherwise I'd agree with all the above. It's a quiet part of Hyde Park; the address is a bit deceiving as it's really on the corner of 56th and Dorchester. Whether you'd rather have that or proximity to transportation is preference. Just know that the way Hyde Park transit works, it's easier to get to campus from certain further-away places like 51st/Cornell than some closer places like 58th/Blackstone.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby 20141023 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:03 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mad Hatter
Posts: 654
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Mad Hatter » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:10 am

kappycaft1 wrote:Is there a way to add UChicago's xMail as one of your email accounts on an iPhone?

Not sure, but I think most people hook it up to their gmail account. That way you never have to go to your actual xMail account (which is nice because the interface looks like it's from 2003).

Lurkington
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:18 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Lurkington » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:29 am

.
Last edited by Lurkington on Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: oldtimeywestern, Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests