UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Mal Reynolds

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue May 14, 2013 12:58 am

What would be a good way to introduce myself to the 1L class? I'm thinking of writing a short biography and sending it out through the listserv. What sorts of things should I add?

redbullvodka

Postby redbullvodka » Tue May 14, 2013 1:01 am

jsjd1989 wrote:thanks everyone for answering questions! If I chose to live in a studio apartment (regents studios are just too expensive) really close (like .3 miles away) from regents, would that maybe work? I really think I would like the social atmosphere of regents, but would also like my own place. Also, if I did decide to do this, would it be unsafe walking home from studying/hanging out at regents late at night (for reference purposes, I am a girl)? My main concern is meeting people at regents, hanging out late, anddd being too freaked out to walk home later. haha

I'm living in a studio as a 1L now, on 55th and Blackstone. That's .8 miles away according to google maps, and I had no problem heading to Regents to hang out with people. I've walked home many of those late nights, but there is also a pretty regular shuttle system that runs late into the night, so you would be able to get home pretty easily.

FWIW, I'm a male.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue May 14, 2013 1:21 am

jsjd1989 wrote:thanks everyone for answering questions! If I chose to live in a studio apartment (regents studios are just too expensive) really close (like .3 miles away) from regents, would that maybe work? I really think I would like the social atmosphere of regents, but would also like my own place. Also, if I did decide to do this, would it be unsafe walking home from studying/hanging out at regents late at night (for reference purposes, I am a girl)? My main concern is meeting people at regents, hanging out late, anddd being too freaked out to walk home later. haha

That sounds fine to me. I'm a girl and live almost exactly .3 miles from Regents and have walked home at night without any issues. Also like redbull mentioned there's a shuttle that runs by Regents so if the studio you're looking at is on that shuttle route you could always just take that.

--LinkRemoved--

2013applicant

Postby 2013applicant » Tue May 14, 2013 8:25 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:What would be a good way to introduce myself to the 1L class? I'm thinking of writing a short biography and sending it out through the listserv. What sorts of things should I add?

Mention your interest in academia and that you would like to form a study group comprised exclusively of like-minded students.

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:47 am

2013applicant wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:What would be a good way to introduce myself to the 1L class? I'm thinking of writing a short biography and sending it out through the listserv. What sorts of things should I add?

Mention your interest in academia and that you would like to form a study group comprised exclusively of like-minded students.

How does one access the listserv? Thanks!

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue May 14, 2013 8:51 am

PopTorts13 wrote:
2013applicant wrote:

Not sure if you missed the sarcasm in the above posts, but absolutely never do anything like the above. You'll get access to the listserv when classes start.

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Tue May 14, 2013 9:05 am

Walking home should be fine for that distance. There should be guys willing to walk you home if it's super late or anything like that as well.

But the biggest problem with not living in Regents is that it makes it a lot harder to just hang out. First quarter it was absolutely awesome being able to wake up on a Saturday, throw on a t-shirt and shorts, and just watch college football all day long with friends. That kind of stuff doesn't happen if you don't live in Regents. (TBF, there could be other friends living in your building or maybe you don't like lounging around for an entire day. If that's the case, then you won't miss much. You'll still be going over there for house party's and pre-games and whatnot if that's what you're into, without any problem at all. It's just the times that you don't want to put any effort but still want to be with people that sets Regents apart, cause when it's 30 degrees out with 20 mph winds, you better believe you're not making the walk over there unless it's something really worth going to.)

cwid1391

Postby cwid1391 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:48 am

Greenandgold wrote:being able to wake up on a Saturday, throw on a t-shirt and shorts, and just watch college football all day long with friends.

This is what I want. It's all I've ever wanted.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Tue May 14, 2013 10:12 am

Emma. wrote:
PopTorts13 wrote:
2013applicant wrote:

Not sure if you missed the sarcasm in the above posts, but absolutely never do anything like the above. You'll get access to the listserv when classes start.

But that was one of my favorite lawannounces ever :lol:

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue May 14, 2013 10:38 am

cwid1391 wrote:
Greenandgold wrote:being able to wake up on a Saturday, throw on a t-shirt and shorts, and just watch college football all day long with friends.

This is what I want. It's all I've ever wanted.

I like you.

Xifeng wrote:
Emma. wrote:
PopTorts13 wrote:
2013applicant wrote:Mention your interest in academia and that you would like to form a study group comprised exclusively of like-minded students.

But that was one of my favorite lawannounces ever :lol:

Our class was really off to a great start.

Postby 2014 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:09 pm

How did I not hear about said law announce, want to forward it to me Xi :)

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Tue May 14, 2013 9:44 pm

2014 wrote:How did I not hear about said law announce, want to forward it to me Xi :)

I hope you're impressed by our class's fantastic law announce start :lol:

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue May 14, 2013 10:25 pm

Xifeng wrote:
2014 wrote:How did I not hear about said law announce, want to forward it to me Xi :)

That kid basically ruined your class's reputation before school had really even got started.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Tue May 14, 2013 10:47 pm

Emma. wrote:
Xifeng wrote:

That kid basically ruined your class's reputation before school had really even got started.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It certainly set the tone. I wonder if this was our class's doing, too :lol:

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue May 14, 2013 10:50 pm

Xifeng wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Xifeng wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It certainly set the tone. I wonder if this was our class's doing, too :lol:

Nope. :mrgreen:

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue May 14, 2013 10:57 pm

So is that a firm "no" on my listserv idea?

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Tue May 14, 2013 11:01 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:So is that a firm "no" on my listserv idea?

It's a "do it and include your TLS username" solid endorsement

florida1949

Postby florida1949 » Wed May 15, 2013 12:02 am

Sorry if this has been asked, but how are the rooms in the 3 bedroom Regents apartment? Too small? Does the master room really not have a door? (it doesn't on the website)

Also, how does Regents split up the rent? (the rooms are all different sizes)

thanks

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Wed May 15, 2013 12:12 am

florida1949 wrote:Sorry if this has been asked, but how are the rooms in the 3 bedroom Regents apartment? Too small? Does the master room really not have a door? (it doesn't on the website)

Also, how does Regents split up the rent? (the rooms are all different sizes)

thanks

The master bedroom does, in fact, have a door. (I remember having this same question)

The master bedroom is fairly big and the other two are fairly small. It's a tight squeeze trying to get a dresser and a desk into the 2 smaller rooms but it can be done if you cut down on the size of either the dresser or the desk.

As for rent, you'll have to work that out amongst yourselves. The way my roommates and I did it was by saying that whoever was willing to pay the most for the room got it. Kind of an informal bidding process if you will. Then you just each pay your amount on Regents payment website.

onionz

Postby onionz » Wed May 15, 2013 7:50 am

What is placement in Boston like? I assume the low rate is mostly self selection, but wanted more input from current students who might have spoken with firms at OCI...

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Wed May 15, 2013 8:58 am

onionz wrote:What is placement in Boston like? I assume the low rate is mostly self selection, but wanted more input from current students who might have spoken with firms at OCI...

It's entirely self selection. I know students who have ties to Boston who are working for some of the best firms in Boston.

Chicago has a national name; it won't keep you out of any market, especially any decently sized market, that you have ties to. If there are only a small number of jobs in your target market, though, it's a crapshoot from anywhere.

JessNovember

Postby JessNovember » Mon May 20, 2013 11:17 pm

onionz wrote:What is placement in Boston like? I assume the low rate is mostly self selection, but wanted more input from current students who might have spoken with firms at OCI...

I know a person who got an offer from a Boston firm with no ties. You'll see most of the big offices at OCI.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue May 21, 2013 4:34 pm

Any last minute tips about picking an apartment in Regents? Looks like they are offering me one in the north tower.

ellewoods110

Postby ellewoods110 » Tue May 21, 2013 4:46 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Any last minute tips about picking an apartment in Regents? Looks like they are offering me one in the north tower.

All the students live in the North Tower so that is where you want to be. You can see the floor plan on the website. If you want a view of the city, you want a high floor and to face north. I recommend trying to get one that faces north because the sun just bakes the apartments that face south (and towards the other tower), and when the air conditioning isn't on, it is a real problem.

I had an 05 unit and loved it. They first offered me one on the 8th floor, and I rejected it. Then I got one in the high 20's, so that was definitely worth it.

Postby 20141023 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:47 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”