UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Clearly

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Clearly » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:35 am

I speculated it was much to do with the quarter system. It seems like a nightmare honestly, but I suppose its worth it when you consider the whole package.

Postby 2014 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:26 am

The quarter system feels rigorous now, but it certainly didn't in December when we were studying for 15% of our grades vs other schools studying for 50%. I think it makes it easier to figure out what works for you and adjust on the fly because you get 3 shots at it instead of 2.

The grading system can go either way. In practice I think the only thing it really does is differentiate between grades that would all be A's at other schools (i.e. a 93 might be a 181 here, a 97 might be a 184, both would just be an A or HP elsewhere)

In the middle I think the grades line up reasonably well on the standard B-, B, B+ scale

MasterOfAllISurvey

Postby MasterOfAllISurvey » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:26 am

A question I just saw on the main board and thought it was interesting: what is the dress code/culture for 1Ls?

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:31 am

MasterOfAllISurvey wrote:A question I just saw on the main board and thought it was interesting: what is the dress code/culture for 1Ls?

Not sure what you mean by culture.

Dress code = casual, but look presentable, knowing that your classmates are your future co-workers and clients. Gym shorts and an old "I'm with stupid" T-shirt is probably a bad decision.

MasterOfAllISurvey

Postby MasterOfAllISurvey » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:14 am

badaboom61 wrote:
MasterOfAllISurvey wrote:A question I just saw on the main board and thought it was interesting: what is the dress code/culture for 1Ls?

Dress code = casual, but look presentable, knowing that your classmates are your future co-workers and clients. Gym shorts and an old "I'm with stupid" T-shirt is probably a bad decision.

Thanks. I asked about "culture" in the sense that an official dress code might exist, but over time a culture of wearing jeans evolved. Do people wear jeans?

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:30 am

There's no dress code and people wear jeans.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:31 am

MasterOfAllISurvey wrote:
badaboom61 wrote:

Thanks. I asked about "culture" in the sense that an official dress code might exist, but over time a culture of wearing jeans evolved. Do people wear jeans?

Lol. AFAIK, no school has an official dress code. Jeans are fine. Some people show up in sweats. You'll probably see less pyjamas than you might have in undergrad though.

MasterOfAllISurvey

Postby MasterOfAllISurvey » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:36 am

Emma. wrote:
badaboom61 wrote:

Lol. AFAIK, no school has an official dress code. Jeans are fine. Some people show up in sweats. You'll probably see less pyjamas than you might have in undergrad though.

Great, thanks. There was never any danger of me wearing pajamas to class (never have, never will), so this works for me.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:18 am

Emma. wrote:
badaboom61 wrote:

Right, I didn't mean to imply there was an official dress code, there isn't. There's sort of an implied dress code to the extent that you generally don't want to show up looking like a total slob, but not everyone chooses to follow this.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Sun May 05, 2013 8:50 am

Is there a general ballpark date on when one should have a lease signed in Hyde Park by? I'm still not really anywhere close to picking a place to live and I won't be back in the states to check things out for a couple of weeks.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun May 05, 2013 9:38 am

Crowing wrote:Is there a general ballpark date on when one should have a lease signed in Hyde Park by? I'm still not really anywhere close to picking a place to live and I won't be back in the states to check things out for a couple of weeks.

I was looking in early July for a September 1 lease and most places told me I was too early. You will easily be able to find something a month/month-and-a-half before your move-in date.

jsjd1989

Postby jsjd1989 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:19 am

Here is a kind of random question. At ASW, it didn't seem like there was any cafe/coffee shop near the law school.... Is there anywhere for students to grab coffee/quick breakfast/lunch related things?

2013applicant

Postby 2013applicant » Wed May 08, 2013 11:21 am

jsjd1989 wrote:Here is a kind of random question. At ASW, it didn't seem like there was any cafe/coffee shop near the law school.... Is there anywhere for students to grab coffee/quick breakfast/lunch related things?

Well there is a cafe in the law school, but it's average. There is also a dining hall and little food shoppe place with a Subway in it roughly 200 yards away. Other than that, it's a little bit of a hike to good places like Medici or Starbucks.

The law school is a nutritional desert. If you're a person who is very conscious of what you eat, you're better off packing all your food.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed May 08, 2013 12:49 pm

GREAT BUMP MOAR QUESTIONS.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed May 08, 2013 2:04 pm

2013applicant wrote:
jsjd1989 wrote:Here is a kind of random question. At ASW, it didn't seem like there was any cafe/coffee shop near the law school.... Is there anywhere for students to grab coffee/quick breakfast/lunch related things?

Well there is a cafe in the law school, but it's average. There is also a dining hall and little food shoppe place with a Subway in it roughly 200 yards away. Other than that, it's a little bit of a hike to good places like Medici or Starbucks.

The law school is a nutritional desert. If you're a person who is very conscious of what you eat, you're better off packing all your food.

I'd agree that the food options aren't great, but "nutritional desert" is probably overstating it a bit. There are pretty good food options available over at Booth, and the food at the Divinity School cafe (directly across the Midway from the Law School) is pretty good.

Also keep in mind that you can eat for free almost every day if you attend lunch talks. If you are really picky though things are definitely harder. To eat really healthy, bringing your own food is probably your best bet.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed May 08, 2013 2:50 pm

I thought he meant the law school specifically was a nutritional desert. There are definitely tons of options on the main campus.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed May 08, 2013 2:55 pm

If I have a BofA account will I be screwing myself in ATM fees?

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Wed May 08, 2013 3:00 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:If I have a BofA account will I be screwing myself in ATM fees?

Yes. Pretty much everyone has Citibank, at least among undergrads. Nothing else is remotely convenient.

2013applicant

Postby 2013applicant » Wed May 08, 2013 4:50 pm

Dany wrote:I thought he meant the law school specifically was a nutritional desert.

Yes, this is correct. Sorry, I should have been more clear.

2013applicant

Postby 2013applicant » Wed May 08, 2013 4:52 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:If I have a BofA account will I be screwing myself in ATM fees?

I have been fine with BoA, but I also use my debit card for 90% of purchases. When I've needed cash, I just take out enough to make the ATM fee bearable (which also makes trips to the ATM less frequent).

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed May 08, 2013 5:02 pm

2013applicant wrote:

I have been fine with BoA, but I also use my debit card for 90% of purchases. When I've needed cash, I just take out enough to make the ATM fee bearable (which also makes trips to the ATM less frequent).

Yeah, this is what I do.

Postby 2014 » Wed May 08, 2013 7:41 pm

There is a BofA atm in the CVS on 53rd and a BofA branch on 53rd, both are walkable from the Regents area easily and are basically on the way to getting groceries.

Also people should pay for everything except for splits with other people with a credit card and get points. This is a pet peeve of mine.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Wed May 08, 2013 8:05 pm

I either pay for everything with a cc or just walk to my bank (Chase) in Hyde Park or go to an ATM when I'm downtown.

LSATSCORES2012

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Tue May 14, 2013 12:40 am

Ally is awesome. The only problem is they don't actually have physical locations. But you can use any ATM and they'll reimburse any fees that you're charged :) They used to have amazing interest rates... but not so much any more.

jsjd1989

Postby jsjd1989 » Tue May 14, 2013 12:51 am

thanks everyone for answering questions! If I chose to live in a studio apartment (regents studios are just too expensive) really close (like .3 miles away) from regents, would that maybe work? I really think I would like the social atmosphere of regents, but would also like my own place. Also, if I did decide to do this, would it be unsafe walking home from studying/hanging out at regents late at night (for reference purposes, I am a girl)? My main concern is meeting people at regents, hanging out late, anddd being too freaked out to walk home later. haha

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”