UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
halestorm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby halestorm » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:36 pm

Can anyone speak to the strength and/or popularity of the clinics at the law school? What are your chances of getting into the one(s) you are most interested in?

jbiresq

Postby jbiresq » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:41 pm

halestorm wrote:Can anyone speak to the strength and/or popularity of the clinics at the law school? What are your chances of getting into the one(s) you are most interested in?

Only have experience with Corporate Lab. Your grade and/or enjoyment of the class will depend highly on the corporate contact and your group. If either are weak it's not going to be fun and it won't be an easy 179+. FWIW I bid it number 1 and got it. It's pretty big so there's space, even with the returning people.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:20 pm

halestorm wrote:Can anyone speak to the strength and/or popularity of the clinics at the law school? What are your chances of getting into the one(s) you are most interested in?

I don't know of anyone who wasn't able to get into the clinic of their choice.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:58 am

Most people can get into the clinics of their choice. The big issue is credit for clinics. Aside from corporate lab, most clinics award credit based on the amount of hours you log in the clinic. 5 hours logged = 1 credit, up to 3 per quarter. This can be very frustrating, both for the sheer time commitment, and the fact that there isn't necessarily enough work to bill 15 hours a week in a clinic to get 3 credits out of it.

halestorm

Postby halestorm » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:47 pm

badaboom61 wrote:

Most people can get into the clinics of their choice. The big issue is credit for clinics. Aside from corporate lab, most clinics award credit based on the amount of hours you log in the clinic. 5 hours logged = 1 credit, up to 3 per quarter. This can be very frustrating, both for the sheer time commitment, and the fact that there isn't necessarily enough work to bill 15 hours a week in a clinic to get 3 credits out of it.

I just want to make sure I understand the credit system. If I log 5 hours a week, each week of the quarter, that's worth one credit? Are typical classes worth 3 credits?

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:51 pm

halestorm wrote:
badaboom61 wrote:

I just want to make sure I understand the credit system. If I log 5 hours a week, each week of the quarter, that's worth one credit? Are typical classes worth 3 credits?

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

I think that's right. This will explain it better than we can:

http://www.law.uchicago.edu/students/ha ... alprograms

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:03 pm

On campus with time to kill...where's the best place to get lunch within walking distance?

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:07 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:On campus with time to kill...where's the best place to get lunch within walking distance?

Medici!

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:16 pm

Dany wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:On campus with time to kill...where's the best place to get lunch within walking distance?

Medici!

Word I went there for the day in a life program, and it was baller

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:02 pm

Dany wrote:

Medici!

Medici is outstanding

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:59 pm

Anyone know how the final grade for LRW gets calculated?

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:42 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:
Dany wrote:

Medici!

Medici is outstanding

Glad you liked it!

Postby 2014 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:10 am

Mad Hatter wrote:Anyone know how the final grade for LRW gets calculated?

Heard from multiple sections that its 40% memo, 60% brief and then the resulting grade is the same for all three quarters. All of the bigelows grade on different scales though so the calculation might be done differently, no clue there.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:28 am

WhiteyCakes wrote:
Dany wrote:

Medici!

Medici is outstanding

Meh

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:33 am

hey now

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:35 am

:lol:

Ok it was awesome.

Dr. Gaius Baltar

Postby Dr. Gaius Baltar » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:56 am

courtneylove wrote:
Dr. Gaius Baltar wrote:Can anyone say which of the graduate students housing choices are thought to be desirable?

Fairfax, Shelbyrne, or Piccadilly, if you don't mind taking the bus. Remember the further west you live on 51st street, the more crowded the bus will be at busy hours. The buildings south of the Midway are only a short walk from the law school, but further south of that area can be a little sketchy and the only public transportation nearby that runs evening hours is down on 63rd street.

Thanks. Have you ever been inside them? I looked at the pics and they look great from the outside, but I've been doing research on grad school forums and I heard that many of the university housing have old and inconvenient interiors. And this article did not exactly inspire confidence, though its author claims to later come to enjoy the housing unit: --LinkRemoved--

courtneylove

Postby courtneylove » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:55 pm

Dr. Gaius Baltar wrote:
courtneylove wrote:
Dr. Gaius Baltar wrote:Thanks. Have you ever been inside them? I looked at the pics and they look great from the outside, but I've been doing research on grad school forums and I heard that many of the university housing have old and inconvenient interiors.

i live in one. the interior could be called "old and inconvenient," but it's cozy and well taken care of. the hallways and public areas are clean, the super is really nice. we have to install a window air conditioner in the summer. the big buildings all have several elevators, and our apartment is huge. if you're in town you can visit the apartments; we were able to view ours a few months before move-in.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:38 pm

Chicago students,

I'm making a calculator to help calculate COA with tuition/COL increases but I need some data to help the project (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=208464). The data specifically needs to come from current students who can look at their budget for the past 1-3 years. I would like to know the average rent, utilities, food, cable/internet for the following schools. If you can help out, please fill out this form. Thanks!

Link to Form (LinkRemoved)

halestorm

Postby halestorm » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:30 pm

As more of a trivial question, how much free food does the law school give out? When I was doing my research for other schools, current students seemed pretty stoked about how many free lunches they could nab each week, but I don't think I've seen anyone say anything about it at Chicago.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:50 pm

halestorm wrote:As more of a trivial question, how much free food does the law school give out? When I was doing my research for other schools, current students seemed pretty stoked about how many free lunches they could nab each week, but I don't think I've seen anyone say anything about it at Chicago.

You can probably get free food at lunch every day of the week as long as you don't mind sitting through lunch talks. From like 12:15-1:30 every day, no one has class, so different student orgs or offices will put on lunch talks/panels with lunch provided. There's free breakfast on Wednesdays, and free food at wine mess on Fridays (if you get in line early enough). Lots of free food around during finals time. You also get emails decently often about free food in the Green Lounge (when it's left over from events).

So I guess the answer is "quite a bit."

jsjd1989

Postby jsjd1989 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:57 pm

I have a question about OCI. I want to return to NYC after graduation, and so am interested in NYC firms. How does that work? Do the firms come to OCI and then you have to fly to NYC for callbacks and such?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:02 pm

jsjd1989 wrote:I have a question about OCI. I want to return to NYC after graduation, and so am interested in NYC firms. How does that work? Do the firms come to OCI and then you have to fly to NYC for callbacks and such?

Yup. The OCI interview process involves firms from all over the country. You choose which firms to bid on (there is no preselect process) and based on your bidding, you'll get a bunch of screening interviews (usually around 20). You can also pick up open slots with firms that haven't filled up during bidding, so if you really want to you can do 30+ interviews. After your OCI screening interviews, firms will extend callback offers. The firms will pay for all reasonable expenses on your trip. If you are interviewing with multiple firms in the same city it is usually a good idea to just stay for a few days and get a bunch of interviews done in one trip, but that isn't always possible. I had to make 3 trips (each with multiple interviews). The good thing is we go back to school so late that you are doing these trips before 2L classes have started.

2013applicant

Postby 2013applicant » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:03 pm

jsjd1989 wrote:I have a question about OCI. I want to return to NYC after graduation, and so am interested in NYC firms. How does that work? Do the firms come to OCI and then you have to fly to NYC for callbacks and such?

Every large NYC firm sends OCI interviewers to campus for our week of OCI. You will then fly to and stay in NYC (on the firm's dime) for callbacks.

jsjd1989

Postby jsjd1989 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:05 pm

thanks so much!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”