UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
gingervallens

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby gingervallens » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:40 pm

Last edited by gingervallens on Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

2013applicant

Postby 2013applicant » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:31 am

Everyone I've asked hasn't had good input, so I figured I'd ask here...

Any info on picking between the thursday night ethics seminars (Real World Ethics vs. Ethical Quandaries)?

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:50 am

Does anybody know what percentatge of 1L/2L SAs are actually in Chicago?

ETA: I understand that 1L SA positions are a long-shot, but still curious.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:49 am

WhiteyCakes wrote:Does anybody know what percentatge of 1L/2L SAs are actually in Chicago?

Roughly half (about 15) of the 1Ls who worked in law firms last summer worked in Chicago. Many of these were small firms and IP firms; only a handful were market-paying "SAs" with full service firms, and some of these may be diversity positions.

Between 1/4 and 1/3 of the 2L SAs were in Chicago.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:07 am

2013applicant wrote:Everyone I've asked hasn't had good input, so I figured I'd ask here...

Any info on picking between the thursday night ethics seminars (Real World Ethics vs. Ethical Quandaries)?

Prof Responsibility in the Real World isn't a seminar, I think there are something like 70 people in that class. It is taught by Sidley partners. I've heard mixed things. On the plus side, it is an 8 hour takehome, which would be nice given our shite exam schedule this quarter.

Ethical Quandaries is new I think, so no one really knows. It has an in class exam and response papers, so I'm guessing it ends up curved to a 178.

Alberts' Professional Responsibility class is definitely the most desirable option, but it was hard to get into. I guess all the 2Ls were recommended to take their ethics class this year instead of waiting for 3L year? Seems crazy that 3Ls wouldn't get preferential treatment in spring quarter for a class required for graduation. :?

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:34 am

badaboom61 wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:Does anybody know what percentatge of 1L/2L SAs are actually in Chicago?

Roughly half (about 15) of the 1Ls who worked in law firms last summer worked in Chicago. Many of these were small firms and IP firms; only a handful were market-paying "SAs" with full service firms, and some of these may be diversity positions.

Thank you for this information. For 2L SAs, is the number so low becuase of a general lack of availability of SAs in Chicago, or because of self-selection to other markets like NYC?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:40 am

WhiteyCakes wrote:
badaboom61 wrote:

Thank you for this information. For 2L SAs, is the number so low becuase of a general lack of availability of SAs in Chicago, or because of self-selection to other markets like NYC?

Mostly self selection. However, if your grades are on the lower side it is a good idea to consider bidding in NYC (since there are so many more SA positions in NYC than Chicago) or a secondary market (where you have ties) as a back up. So there were probably some folks whose first choice would have been Chicago but they ended up elsewhere.

Postby 2014 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:45 pm

@Whitey: Just to back up badaboom, I checked the who worked where list and there were roughly ~5 market paying Chicago 1L SAs as far as I can tell. From what I have heard from my class, it should be about the same for us.

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:57 pm

Yea, for the class of 2015 it seems like the 1L SA's are going mostly to people from Texas and California with a couple in Chicago as well.

xeno8472

Postby xeno8472 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:19 pm

I put this in the law students forum as well but has anyone here taken Zarfes/Bloom's contracts and commercial transactions class? If so can I PM you a few questions?

Thanks.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:58 pm

xeno8472 wrote:I put this in the law students forum as well but has anyone here taken Zarfes/Bloom's contracts and commercial transactions class? If so can I PM you a few questions?

Thanks.

Shoot.

jbiresq

Postby jbiresq » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:47 pm

xeno8472 wrote:I put this in the law students forum as well but has anyone here taken Zarfes/Bloom's contracts and commercial transactions class? If so can I PM you a few questions?

Thanks.

FYI Bloom isn't at the law school anymore if you didn't know.

solucky

Postby solucky » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:44 am

Greenandgold wrote:Yea, for the class of 2015 it seems like the 1L SA's are going mostly to people from Texas and California with a couple in Chicago as well.

Why is it mainly Tx and Ca people?

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:14 am

solucky wrote:
Greenandgold wrote:Yea, for the class of 2015 it seems like the 1L SA's are going mostly to people from Texas and California with a couple in Chicago as well.

Why is it mainly Tx and Ca people?

Texas, and California to a lesser extent, are the only markets that really hire 1Ls in a meaningful quantity. Chicago firms hire some but from what I understand these are mostly diversity positions (I'm not even sure if they lead to employment for your 2L summer, but others in this thread probably know more about that).

delusional

Postby delusional » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:04 am

Any of you guys have access to old exams and answers for Sunstein in Admin Law? He's been out for quite a while, but I figured I'd give it a shot. If you can help a dude out (his class is incomprehensible to lay folk), I'd be forever grateful. PM.

Postby 2014 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:06 am

delusional wrote:Any of you guys have access to old exams and answers for Sunstein in Admin Law? He's been out for quite a while, but I figured I'd give it a shot. If you can help a dude out (his class is incomprehensible to lay folk), I'd be forever grateful. PM.

There are none in the online library database.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:08 am

delusional wrote:Any of you guys have access to old exams and answers for Sunstein in Admin Law? He's been out for quite a while, but I figured I'd give it a shot. If you can help a dude out (his class is incomprehensible to lay folk), I'd be forever grateful. PM.

Sorry. Nothing for Sunstein. I guess they only keep past exams for a few years unless the prof is still teaching the class.

delusional

Postby delusional » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:12 am

Aight, well thanks for checking.

walkthegoose

Postby walkthegoose » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:08 pm

My professor in Criminal Procedure is a University of Chicago grad from 2001. He mentioned about how his exam would me modeled after the one he took when he was in law school? If any current students could pass on some recent exams and, perhaps, an older one from this time period then it would be much appreciated. PM me. Thanks!

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:17 pm

walkthegoose wrote:My professor in Criminal Procedure is a University of Chicago grad from 2001. He mentioned about how his exam would me modeled after the one he took when he was in law school? If any current students could pass on some recent exams and, perhaps, an older one from this time period then it would be much appreciated. PM me. Thanks!

Damn dude, you've taken gunning to a new level. I doubt anyone can do this without knowing which professor your guy had.

Dr. Gaius Baltar

Postby Dr. Gaius Baltar » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:25 am

Can anyone say which of the graduate students housing choices are thought to be desirable?

walkthegoose

Postby walkthegoose » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:37 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:
walkthegoose wrote:My professor in Criminal Procedure is a University of Chicago grad from 2001. He mentioned about how his exam would me modeled after the one he took when he was in law school? If any current students could pass on some recent exams and, perhaps, an older one from this time period then it would be much appreciated. PM me. Thanks!

Damn dude, you've taken gunning to a new level. I doubt anyone can do this without knowing which professor your guy had.

He just said it in class. Professor alschuler. Any help?

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:57 pm

walkthegoose wrote:
Mad Hatter wrote:

Nothing up from him.

courtneylove

Postby courtneylove » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:16 pm

Dr. Gaius Baltar wrote:Can anyone say which of the graduate students housing choices are thought to be desirable?

Fairfax, Shelbyrne, or Piccadilly, if you don't mind taking the bus. Remember the further west you live on 51st street, the more crowded the bus will be at busy hours. The buildings south of the Midway are only a short walk from the law school, but further south of that area can be a little sketchy and the only public transportation nearby that runs evening hours is down on 63rd street.

Postby 2014 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:31 pm

walkthegoose wrote:
Mad Hatter wrote:

All tests up are from 2005 or later except one from 1998. Can be more help if you find out the name of the UChi teacher.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”