UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:20 pm

LSTfan wrote:
LSTfan wrote:Has anyone on this thread ever met or taken a class from Leiter? Given recent events, a little inside info would certainly be interesting.


Really? No one?

I haven't. But everyone I have talked with has considered him a very good lecturer. That's as much as I know.

User avatar
cranberry
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby cranberry » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:35 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
LSTfan wrote:
LSTfan wrote:Has anyone on this thread ever met or taken a class from Leiter? Given recent events, a little inside info would certainly be interesting.


Really? No one?

I haven't. But everyone I have talked with has considered him a very good lecturer. That's as much as I know.



I took a class with him recently. He's a very good lecturer, open and engaging, and he runs his class politely... no cold calling, at least in the course I took. He does a lot of explaining and list making which makes outlining easier later on. I liked him a lot; I wouldn't take another class with him because he gave me a horrible grade, but a lot of that is probably my fault because I had no grasp of the crazy material we were reading. That said, if I had enjoyed the subject more, I would definitely recommend him.

LSTfan
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:05 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby LSTfan » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:06 am

.
Last edited by LSTfan on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Flash
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Flash » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:30 pm

LSTfan wrote:
Interesting that he seems to be well liked by his students. Are many at Chicago aware of his online antics?

Yes, Chicago students are aware of the TLS lounge.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5832
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby 2014 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:32 am

I crack a smile whenever I see Leiter around school, his blog is gold

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:09 pm

From the LSA (law school student government) minutes:

Grading/curve clarifications: We asked for clarification of a few questions that aren’t covered in the Student Handbook. The administration is concerned about strategic behavior from students if we are given too much information, but [the associate dean] said he would look into some of these issues to see if it would be possible to allow greater transparency while still mitigating this strategic behavior


KEEP WINNING THOSE HEARTS AND MINDS, UCHICAGO.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:17 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:From the LSA (law school student government) minutes:



Really? :?

User avatar
jbiresq
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby jbiresq » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:18 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:From the LSA (law school student government) minutes:

Grading/curve clarifications: We asked for clarification of a few questions that aren’t covered in the Student Handbook. The administration is concerned about strategic behavior from students if we are given too much information, but [the associate dean] said he would look into some of these issues to see if it would be possible to allow greater transparency while still mitigating this strategic behavior


KEEP WINNING THOSE HEARTS AND MINDS, UCHICAGO.


My favorite was that half the email was about the cafe.

Also what was the question about? Distributions?

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:27 pm

Emma. wrote:
Really? :?

I know, right? I found it hard to believe as well.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:20 pm

jbiresq wrote:
My favorite was that half the email was about the cafe.



I think half the email was about the cafe because there were 2 different meetings, one with cafe people, one with the administration?

User avatar
jbiresq
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby jbiresq » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:01 pm

Emma. wrote:
jbiresq wrote:
My favorite was that half the email was about the cafe.



I think half the email was about the cafe because there were 2 different meetings, one with cafe people, one with the administration?


That's a lot of talk about mediocre coffee

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Dany » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:05 pm

jbiresq wrote:
Emma. wrote:
jbiresq wrote:
My favorite was that half the email was about the cafe.



I think half the email was about the cafe because there were 2 different meetings, one with cafe people, one with the administration?


That's a lot of talk about mediocre coffee

Good coffee is important.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:55 pm

Dany wrote:
jbiresq wrote:
Emma. wrote:
jbiresq wrote:
My favorite was that half the email was about the cafe.



I think half the email was about the cafe because there were 2 different meetings, one with cafe people, one with the administration?


That's a lot of talk about mediocre coffee

Good coffee is important.


The 1L doesn't know how much. Poor thing hasn't been through spring quarter yet.

User avatar
jbiresq
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby jbiresq » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:48 pm

2L actually. Though I live outside of Hyde Park and get to experience the greatness that is the Wormhole/Intelligentsia.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:13 pm

jbiresq wrote:2L actually. Though I live outside of Hyde Park and get to experience the greatness that is the Wormhole/Intelligentsia.


My bad. Intelligentsia is solid. Which is why the coffee at Plum, made with their beans, shouldn't be so awful.

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Xifeng » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:37 pm

Emma. wrote:
jbiresq wrote:2L actually. Though I live outside of Hyde Park and get to experience the greatness that is the Wormhole/Intelligentsia.


My bad. Intelligentsia is solid. Which is why the coffee at Plum, made with their beans, shouldn't be so awful.


I live for coffee mess.

canarykb
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:56 am

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby canarykb » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:21 pm

.
Last edited by canarykb on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

JessNovember
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby JessNovember » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:17 am

So the school buys exam software to, at least in part, prevent copying and pasting. Of course they don't bother to disable the function.

User avatar
Greenandgold
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Greenandgold » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:55 am

JessNovember wrote:So the school buys exam software to, at least in part, prevent copying and pasting. Of course they don't bother to disable the function.


Yea, it's interesting that they don't. I'm sure there's something that can notify them if someone's used the copy and paste feature though. But that seems pretty ridiculous. Give people the opportunity to cheat and then bust them for it when they do, rather than just not give anyone the chance to start with.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:19 am

JessNovember wrote:So the school buys exam software to, at least in part, prevent copying and pasting. Of course they don't bother to disable the function.


The point isn't to stop all cut & pasting, which would be crazy (what if you want to edit your exam answer after it is written and reorder the paragraphs). What is not allowed is copying and pasting from an external source like your outline. I guess the software can track this if it happens, but they can't disable this without disabling all cutting & pasting.

JessNovember
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby JessNovember » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:28 am

Emma. wrote:
JessNovember wrote:So the school buys exam software to, at least in part, prevent copying and pasting. Of course they don't bother to disable the function.


The point isn't to stop all cut & pasting, which would be crazy (what if you want to edit your exam answer after it is written and reorder the paragraphs). What is not allowed is copying and pasting from an external source like your outline. I guess the software can track this if it happens, but they can't disable this without disabling all cutting & pasting.


I meant "pasting or downloading into the exam from outside sources." Found out when I accidentally pasted something I had googled earlier (thinking I had copied something from the test itself.) They can disable copying and pasting from outside sources; they just don't or didn't for this final.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:59 am

I had an exam where I couldn't cut+paste from sections within the program, so I had to c+p into a Word doc and then put it back into the program. It didn't make much sense. :|

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:08 am

ExamSoft continues to be bullshit.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:10 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote:I had an exam where I couldn't cut+paste from sections within the program, so I had to c+p into a Word doc and then put it back into the program. It didn't make much sense. :|


What the hell....

JessNovember
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby JessNovember » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:36 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:ExamSoft continues to be bullshit.


Oh the kickbacks they must have received...




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: splitterfromhell and 5 guests